Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Somewhat back and got questions (Read 3683 times)
Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Somewhat back and got questions
Jun 25th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Hi. I'm sure you really missed me (not) but I'm more interested in knowing a few things since I'm planning to give ddo one more shot.

I'm going for a pure ranged build (longbow) and i couldn't help but notice something that has been annoying me quite a bit. Very often, while holding left mouse button, I seem to skip an attack despite going trough the full animation. I don't get the "miss" or anything and I don't even see the dice roll. Just a pointless animation but no actual attack. Yes, I have locked on the target and I have a clear line of sight. Bug or ???

I kinda left right after reaper hit and got all packs and expansions up to that point. I spoke with just a couple of guys who suggested to get the ravenloft pack just for the sentient stuff. I was planning on getting that and prioritize packs with both heroic and epic versions but I'd rather go for "old style" quests when the game wasn't "room full of enemies to kill, unlock lever to next room, rinse and repeat" so input on actual quality of the latest packs is greatly appreciated

Already planning on next build since I don't like archery very much with the animation attack skip (never played a fully dedicated ranged build) and..don't worry, I'm not asking for builds since I make my own but I'd like to know how pure classes are viable right now compared to each others (I'm really itching to play a melee artificer honestly)

Confident that I will get some useful info mixed with a generous dose of snark and assorted insults. Fuck you all with love

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Re: Somewhat back and got questions
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Welcome back, Artorias
Does the combat log show the attack?
The last two expansions are endgame and the loot is necessary for endgame (raids). There is a big gap betwenn that and the non-expansion items. The expansions, at least Ravenloft imo, has some of the most atmospheric quests in the game.
But Summer Sales will start next week? Or maybe the week after. So wait for that.
The question concerning classes is a bit tricky to answer. Pure is definetly good for casters but there are melee builds, too that work well as a pure build. I would say it is not awefully important for ranged. Bow builds are not in a good place right now, maybe maybe pure ranger but I doubt it.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Good to be back.

I will check the logs too but I'm almost sure it will only confirm that every once in a while I complete the nocking, drawing, fire animation without actually rolling dice and, therefore, no hit.

Thanks a lot for the heads up about the sales as I totally did not take that into account. I will totally use the chance to get a few goodies to bring me up to speed (over 2 years of absence after all)

The thing is, I used to be a multiclass freak and I loved ddo exactly for the freedom and complexity (for the good and bad) that allowed in character development. When the time came they started revamping classes and adding those juicy capstones...damn. Now, for me at least, pure classes have way more pull they used to have in the past

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 8:44pm:
I'm going for a pure ranged build (longbow) and i couldn't help but notice something that has been annoying me quite a bit. Very often, while holding left mouse button, I seem to skip an attack despite going trough the full animation. I don't get the "miss" or anything and I don't even see the dice roll. Just a pointless animation but no actual attack. Yes, I have locked on the target and I have a clear line of sight. Bug or ???

If you click the killing attack and the first attack on the new target instead of holding down the button it will work the way you want it to.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:45am:
If you click the killing attack and the first attack on the new target instead of holding down the button it will work the way you want it to.

I know. I have the issue while attacking living enemies that are not even moving.

I think I have narrowed the problem though and will test for the actual solution. I suspect the whole issue might be caused by ranged alacrity as I ALWAYS keep the abbot quiver (I think it came from abbot?) equipped on each life as I like the lazy 30% striding bonus from old times before some ship buffs. I fear the extra 10% ranged alacrity is not coded well as after a certain number of normal attacks I simply see the animation without even seeing the arrow. As soon as I get at the appropriate level I will test ranged alacrity at 25% and see how it turns out. If it is as i suspect I will simply user the quivering quiver until I can slot in the poison quiver from giant hold (don't remember the name)
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2019 at 12:12pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 8:44pm:
I'm going for a pure ranged build (longbow)

Bows are ass 83.3% of the time. Steelstar confirmed that during the ED revamp feedback.  Don't hold your breath for bows to improve anytime soon.

If you want to explore ranged, then check out Rogue-based Inquisitive.  17 Rogue/2 Arti with a splash of Monk, Fighter or Barbarian depending how you want to spend AP.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I've gotten so sick of a AA longbow ranger that I am going to buy arti and try that instead.

Bow damage is way behind just about everything right now. Which is a shame because ranger has some fun stuff.

I think the general consensus right now is that great xbow rogues > Repeater Artis > Bow rangers.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Bows are terrible DPS.  The RoF is the problem.   

First, they have the slowest RoF by far of Xbow, Shuri, and Bow.

Then the burst options:

many shot - 20 seconds out of 120 sec - 120 DS, 4x BAB in RP.   

fusillade - 18 seconds of endless reload out of 30 seconds.  Limited charges per rest.

10k stars - 30 seconds out of 60 seconds. monk level * 5 DS, Wisdom ability score to RP. 

See the problem?   slowest ROF starting by far, lowest uptime (by 1/3rd or less) burst attack.   Also:  bow crit profile is garbage and the base damage dice of bows is not better than shuri or xbows.   So the per hit damage is not going to overcome the RoF issues.

Bows are CC and below average sustained DPS.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Good advice so far. I see what you guys are saying and I'm sure I'll not repeat the same mistake again but, for the moment, I have to stick with a toon that was abandoned at level 4 over 2 years ago. The only things that give me hope right now is that the toon is an almost maxed triple completionist (minus the racial reincarnation) and I have an awesome collection of longbows.

I had no idea longbows are this shitty right now so, I think I'm just going to hit 20 and reincarnate.
Quote:
Also:  bow crit profile is garbage and the base damage dice of bows is not better than shuri or xbows.   So the per hit damage is not going to overcome the RoF issues.

This, so much this.

Not going to hide it, I fucked up this life. Live and learn I guess

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Whatever you're stuck in, you can probably convert it to a xbow inquisitive build. Might need a feat swap.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:44am
Print Post  
If you have 4 spare lvl go arti for fusilate. inquisitive benefits from that, too.
But whatever crappy bow build you have, I am positive you can raech 20. If push comes to shove lvl the last 10 ranks in wilderness.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Hijacking a thread again with oldnoob questions:

Do Shield clickies still drop? If so, do I need to hit quest chains for reward list BTA drops? Loot tables look quite different and dull these days and they changed the fucking Giantcraft Robe which was my first idea.

I enjoy Monks but when I left they were nerfed and shitty. I think from reading recent stuff they're still not great but at least viable. I run solo so probably not doing much Reaper apart from the occasional challenge to myself. Is Monk viable for non-Reaper these days?

Is there any worth in a Mnk12/Rgr6/FVS2 template or should I just focus on getting that character eTRed?

I had a look at LGS. It looks like it'd be much easier to just try and farm Ravenloft now, or Sharn when I buy it, for named stuff of roughly equivalent power. Is that right?

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:42am
Print Post  
https://ddowiki.com/page/Clicky

Start with Stand Your Ground, end rewards if you're desperate for clickies.

I have clickies but on some lives I just grab wands from marketplace, rather than searching mules.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Clickies: Clothing Pawn Broker on the guild airship. Necessary amenity: Three Finger Thad's.
Monks got nerfed but they are far from shitty. I don't know where you got the information that they are not great.
I guess that combo is a thrower? Still viable. If it's not a thrower, toss it.
LGS has some unique stuff you don't get anywhere else.

If you want more detailed answers, open your own thread and describe your build and gear in detail.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 7:37am:
Hijacking a thread again with oldnoob questions:

Do Shield clickies still drop? If so, do I need to hit quest chains for reward list BTA drops? Loot tables look quite different and dull these days and they changed the fucking Giantcraft Robe which was my first idea.

I enjoy Monks but when I left they were nerfed and shitty. I think from reading recent stuff they're still not great but at least viable. I run solo so probably not doing much Reaper apart from the occasional challenge to myself. Is Monk viable for non-Reaper these days?

Is there any worth in a Mnk12/Rgr6/FVS2 template or should I just focus on getting that character eTRed?

I had a look at LGS. It looks like it'd be much easier to just try and farm Ravenloft now, or Sharn when I buy it, for named stuff of roughly equivalent power. Is that right?

If you are in a guild, you can also go on the ship to Three Finger Thad's and get occasional clickies.  If no one is on the ship for 5 minutes, it resets and generates new items. Only level 1 clickies, but level 1 clickies are exactly what you want.

It isn't worth farming with 5 mintue wait resets IMHO, but I do still check every time I hop on the ship.  Or at least I did until the amenity got replaced on our airship.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Sapphire Studded Buckles is all the shield clicky you need.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Thanks all! Oh yes ML 6 3/day looks perfect, cheers.

Snu Snu, it's not a thrower it's a melee so I will burn it. Ta!

Had no idea about that Three Fingered Thad trick, good stuff.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 7:37am:

You are better off grabbing heroic Ravenloft and Sharn gear, and taking that to level 28~.

LGS is for a few niche things which fill out your gear. Critical multiplier gear for elements for casters, debuffing weapons Dust/Ash/Vacuum, CC weapons Ice or Salt. 2 piece hit point set for melee or ranged.

Once you hit level cap then Sharn and Ravenloft epic sets come online, and that is what you should be wearing.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Much obliged! I'll grind out a few LGS bits once I'm kitted out a bit better then.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:01am:
It isn't worth farming with 5 mintue wait resets IMHO, but I do still check every time I hop on the ship.  Or at least I did until the amenity got replaced on our airship.

Be an officer and reset the amenity. Every 15s new grab. Someone researched the % on drops. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/502643

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:37pm:
Be an officer and reset the amenity. Every 15s new grab. Someone researched the % on drops. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/502643

How do you reset amenities? I'm an officer and don't know how to do this.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:16am:
How do you reset amenities? I'm an officer and don't know how to do this.

Go to the floor with Three Finger Thad's.
Activate the valve thing near the ladder to enter the "customize amenities" mode (shiny)
Go to Thad's.
There's an interactable square thing in the middle of the room. This opens a menu that allows you to store the amenity, and place it back again.

EDIT: Bonus points if you mess up and hide some useful buff and piss off your guild leader and get kicked.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:59am by crunch »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 9:49am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:55am:
Go to the floor with Three Finger Thad's.
Activate the valve thing near the ladder to enter the "customize amenities" mode (shiny)
Go to Thad's.
There's an interactable square thing in the middle of the room. This opens a menu that allows you to store the amenity, and place it back again.

EDIT: Bonus points if you mess up and hide some useful buff and piss off your guild leader and get kicked.

Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint