Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What am I missing about epic reaper solo (melee)? (Read 4545 times)
Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

What am I missing about epic reaper solo (melee)?
Jul 2nd, 2019 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Once again the main forums are useless....I swear, if one more person tells that I just need to group with the LFG tab empty atm....

Trying to keep my r1 solo streak going past lvl 20, elites are boringly no fun at this point.  I can do the fights just fine as a ranged, but was trying a melee for fun.  How are you supposed to (if it is doable) take the damage from mobs with only self heals.  Getting hit for 200-300 by champs and 100+ by regular.  And yes, I'm cc'ing as best as possible for me but still dying with depressing regularity.

At 20 I have aprox 100 prr, 50 mrr, sheltering item included. 750 hp, incorp, blur, dodge cap, con item, insightful con item and as much amp as is possible, only self heals.

Is there something I am missing or should I just make everything an inquisitive?

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: What am I missing about epic reaper solo (melee)?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Get a hireling. Better healing. Can raise you when you die.

Also your hp are low, make sure you have a devotion item if you are casting heals, twist meld into darkness, displacement scrolls are better than blur, kill stuff fast, and get more prr and mrrr.

What is your build? I'm sure people can offer more help if we know more than "melee".
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:25pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
That's just it, I don't understand where to get things from :/  Didn't necessarily want build specific advice, just general advice.  Maybe I'm not that bright, but I don't see how to get from 750ish hp to the 3k in that video, even with the level difference.

At 20, I have the following

HP Stuff (42 Con total)

+8 Con
+2 Insight Con
+20 Vit
+30 False Life
+45 Hp from enhancements
+9x4 Reaper points (spent in for CC dc's)

Avoidance/Defense
Displacement
25% Incorp
5% Dodge (Capped, I have more)
+24 Sheltering Item
45 Balance

Neg Amp
+33 Profane
+15 Insightful
+40 Filigree

Saves (47/44/44)
+ 6 Resistance
+ 2 Good luck
+ 4 Morale

AC (62)
5 Dex
15 Armor
4 Shield
16 Misc
10% Enhance

52 Int

Web DC 50 (53 in reaper)
Banshee DC 53 (56 in reaper)

Magister for Int and spell DCs

Twisted
Energy Burst
Spell pen
Ephemeral Evolution (PRR)
Endless Faith (10% SP)

7 primal past lives
3 divine
3 arcane
3 martial
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:04pm by Tene »  

IP Logged

Sid
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:24pm:

At level 30 yes, try to do r9 at level 24. Smiley

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
You can do fine with less than 3k in R1. But you do want to try to get over 1000 probably.

I honestly don't know much about palemaster/eldritch knight as a melee if thats what you're going for. That explains the low HP. I don't think 62 AC does too much at level 20 running R1 but AC is one of those things you have to go crazy with to make it effective. If you're wearing heavy armor you might be better off wearing lighter armor and trying to get your dodge cap higher. I used to run a swash bard with displacement, ghostly, and around 35ish dodge, which I guess is around 70ish miss chance (75 if you always miss on a 1) and she did ok with less than 1K hp.

Are your self heals hitting for a lot? If not boost your spellpower if you can.

I will tell you that tier 3 of shadow dancer, meld into darkness I carry on every melee I have. 15 seconds of 100% dodge every 2 minutes will save your ass MANY TIMES. Gives you time to heal, and kill stuff, or cast ddoor and regroup. There aren't many fights outside of boss fights on R1 that last a lot longer than 15 seconds. Obviously that doesn't help against casters. Some of those twists you have can probably be replaced.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
It's light armor (yay mithral body Sad ) Cause otherwise I'm mrr capped around level 24.  It's my last warforged life though, so that's nice.

I guess I could drop the palemaster stuff for repair and use reconstruct, but not sure how that helps for dying almost instantly to web proof groups or a failed cometfall save.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Sid wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:11pm:
At level 30 yes, try to do r9 at level 24. Smiley

stfu and even try to do r7, you fucking faggot

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I dont get what your build is , you talk about melee, then talk about web and wail.

possibly you are running some hybrid build?

some thoughts:

why no meld twisted in? 100% dodge for 15 second? thanks! only 2 min cool down

If you are melee why magister? go LD for much more melee power, straight damage and more con and defense.

If hybrid, GTFO out of magister no melee power is crap go shadow dancer take int there pick up meld and higher dex cap/dodge cap and like 60 melee power.

There is plenty of options, but i cant tell from what you posted. And obviously some stuff you can fix R1 is fairly easy to solo on melee, even more so with some past lifes and a few reaper points like... 21 spent in grim barricade is big.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:14pm:
I dont get what your build is , you talk about melee, then talk about web and wail.

possibly you are running some hybrid build?

some thoughts:

why no meld twisted in? 100% dodge for 15 second? thanks! only 2 min cool down

If you are melee why magister? go LD for much more melee power, straight damage and more con and defense.

If hybrid, GTFO out of magister no melee power is crap go shadow dancer take int there pick up meld and higher dex cap/dodge cap and like 60 melee power.

There is plenty of options, but i cant tell from what you posted. And obviously some stuff you can fix R1 is fairly easy to solo on melee, even more so with some past lifes and a few reaper points like... 21 spent in grim barricade is big.

I'm running an EK/PM atm for funsies.  Hence the web/wail.  Took the pm for the 25% incorp and balance, took mithral body to uncap my mrr cause it'll cap in a few levels.

The reason for no meld is the last time I seriously played, meld just took you to dodge cap which I already hit.  Looks like that was changed though. Same with the mp from shadowdancer.

Wish I had a ton of reaper points, only have the 9 atm and using them to make sure I land web, haven't managed to farm any sets so needed the dcs.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 12:42am
Print Post  
As soon as I saw Neg Amp mentioned on a melee, I knew you fucked up.

Everything about this gimp build screams like a newbie trap. Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle.
I am triggered AF right now.

For the love of God, respend your reaper points into Grim Barricade.

Forget about DC spells, and focus on melee shit...

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 12:42am:
As soon as I saw Neg Amp mentioned on a melee, I knew you fucked up.

Everything about this gimp build screams like a newbie trap. Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle.
I am triggered AF right now.

For the love of God, respend your reaper points into Grim Barricade.

Forget about DC spells, and focus on melee shit...

Ahh this is one of those, why does my flavor build not preform threads

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:29am
Print Post  
For starters, try Shadowdancer.
Evasion is good. Meld is good. Melee Power is good. And you can still dump points into INT.
At level 21 you can switch to epic defensive fighting - should help with HP.
Are you a gnome, do you have Color Spray?
If you want to melee, don't worry about necro, focus on CC (mass hold, color spray).
Pump INT up, I had IIRC around 70 int on my pure EK at level 20.

IP Logged

Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:24am:
Ahh this is one of those, why does my flavor build not preform threads

Lol, no, this is a tell me the things that everyone assumes everyone else knows, about playing epic reaper in melee range.

Things I've learned so far:
Meld got fixed, isn't crap anymore
Shadowdancer got buffed
PM healing is insufficient for a melee
I might be better served switching from web to mass hold?
I'm missing 11 points in my main stat, gonna try and figure out where from

On that note, what's missing from this list at 20 for a stat (other than artifact bonus)?
8 enhancement
2 insightful
1 profane
1 quality
1 filigree

Edit: And yes, it's my fault for thinking that if they made a filigree set for weapon using pms, that it would be playable :/
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:22am by Tene »  

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:16am
Print Post  
ML8: +2 artifact bonus (slavers sorcery)
ML13: +2 reaper bonus (pansophic circlet or something)
ML18 crafted: +9 enh / +4 ins
ML20 +1 exceptional (augment)
ML22 +2 festive (augment)
ML23 crafted: +11 enh / +5 ins (or a named circlet exists)
more filigrees
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:16am by crunch »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Tene wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 4:38pm:
s there something I am missing

It sounds like you have everything defensive wise on your radar, which is more than most but here are a few points to consider (and I can solo R1 right up through the Storm Horns)

You have dodge, but do you have the highest dodge you can get into your build?  I'm usually hitting 20+ dodge by epics.

Do you have the AC and PRR boosts from EPLs?  Those help.

How many reaper points do you have?  It's pretty rough and I probably died at least once per quest when I hit epics until I got past 15 reaper points.  After that it got much easier every point I got in.  Personally I build defensively then go all in on offense with my reaper points to compensate for the scaling.  I throw about 7 points into Grim Barricade, then everything else goes into Dread Adversary until I get my damage up (think it takes about 25 points) then switch back to Grim again.

But until you hit higher numbers in reaper points and some of your defenses, if you're only dying once per quest, don't let it get to you.  That's part of sharpening your reaper teeth.

Only other thing might be tactics.  As a solo player the tactic of make the mob, stick the mob, destroy the mob works very well for me.

Especially through levels 20-25, epic reaper is totally do-able with just about any class - you just need to know where your weak spots are in your build then compensate for anything lacking with tactics.

Star rubies and upgraded bracers of the wind can also help you become a mob destroyer.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
when you say "i'm doing this build for funsies" and then wondering why you can't solo R1 Epics on Melee on a "funsie" build, that's the crux of your failures.

You can only get away with a "funsie" build in Epic Reaper Solo if you already know what you are missing with gear, tactics, feats, enhancements.

And learn how to use hirelings.  Yeah, they are stupid, but if you can learn their quirks and assign some hot keys to call them, make them stand their ground and toggle quickly between defend/aggro, they can keep you healed during fights.   
If you are dead set against using hirelings on our "R1 solo streak", then you will have to give up your funsie build and for lack of a better term "git gud".

IP Logged

Tene
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help guys, switched to shadowdancer and made a few of the other suggested changes and things are fine now.

Just to clarify something for the grumpy people, I normally stop reaper at 20, and I know it's a flavor build, but elite quests were at the point where I'd have to fall asleep to die, so I needed some help to get it to the next point cause I'd rather try and fail than be bored.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
It feels like that build is just not a solo reaper friendly build.   Those do exist.   In heroics, you can R1 solo with just about any gimp ass build.   Especially if you have tomes and PL's.

In Epics, EE/R1 is more challenging.   And reaper is especially punitive on melees.   So you are going to want to avoid some builds if Reaper soloing is what you want to do.  That includes the EK/PM build.   

The swash bard, with strong CC (without needing Dire Charge) and instakills and self heals and above average DPS, is a very strong option that plays consistently from 20-30.   Other builds that perform well include Ranger, Rogue, Monk, Wolf.  Some melee FvS or Cleric builds will perform pretty well.   I'm not a huge fan of pure/pureish Fighter, Pally, or Barb for solo leveling epics with reaper.   Or any melee arti or EK/PM build.   Unless you are grouping up.  Those builds perform better in groups with roles or at 29+.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
All in melee including swapping to LD, and only use spells for healing and no-DC CC like sleet storm or Otto's Irresistible or PW:Stun.

You have to be an uber that doesn't need advice to pull off DC + DPS at the same time.

And yes, you should have gone inquisitor if you can't survive in reaper melee.

Have you tried lowering the difficulty?   Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:48pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Tene wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm:
Thanks for the help guys, switched to shadowdancer and made a few of the other suggested changes and things are fine now.

Just to clarify something for the grumpy people, I normally stop reaper at 20, and I know it's a flavor build, but elite quests were at the point where I'd have to fall asleep to die, so I needed some help to get it to the next point cause I'd rather try and fail than be bored.

Drop the negative healing and pick up repair spells on your robot. Quicken meta the reconstruct spell.

Use ddo wiki and search for your gear set. Use google, type in the type of item desired and ddo wiki. Like, this: "Repair amp items ddo wiki".

Get a gear set that compliments melee. Add in a few repair power and repair amp items. Use Cannith crafting liberally. What weapon are you using? What filigrees?

What feats do you have? What is your ap? Do you have Know the Angles? Did you take Insightful Reflexes feat?

I leveled fine on r1, on a 34 point build with only a sorcerer life, and under 21 reaper ap. Used mostly heroic gear, and no way to cc anything as a Tempest. But I was still geared properly ( the ravenloft and sharn heroic loot are better than most epic gear, at least until level 26~ anyhow ). I had correct ap and feats. And I know what to scroll/clicky/boost when and where.

There could be a lot of things that you're missing. We have no way of knowing without you providing all the details of your build. 

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #21 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Tene wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm:

Wait. OP listened to the advice he asked for.

Is this even DDO anymore?

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:09am
Print Post  
You missing the point Cheesy
* Reaper is not ment to be solo friendly.
* Meelee is IMHO the hardest position in reaper.
* Your defensive stats are not that impressive.
* Whats your offensive stats ?

In reaper you will get hit hard. Thers not mutch to do about getting hit hard except completely disable monsters the ability to hit you.
You can mitigate this by CCing them and killing one by one (maybe applicable to you ? ), kiting them and doing damage from range (not applicable to you), killing them faster than they can hit you (depend on your offensive abilities).
If you can mitigate completely your defensive stats + healing management is important and that can include big healamp and/or clever use of hireling.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 2:20am
Print Post  
You are missing:
1) reaper points and hp overall. Epic reaper MUCH harder than heroic. With 700 hp on whatever build some champs will 2 hit you. And some mobs have doublestrike.
2) good build. You seems to have decent gear, but melee wizard in magister is not stuff that will work on epic reaper on few lifer.
3) pastlifes. With many pastlifes and knowledge od the game almost any silly build will work. Pastlifes giving +6-7 stats, 36 ac at 20, 38 prr, 18 mrr etc etc.

Overall, I would not recommend you run solo lower-mid epic content until manage to build better or nuat get more power creep.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Rzy! Where have you been!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint