Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) New Permadeath server (Read 16738 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: New Permadeath server
Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:14am
Print Post  
I think this sounds fucking awesome.

Pure skill and teamwork if there is any speed component to the rewards. If it catches on would quest paths be optimized around certain static/quest loot drops and end rewards as opposed to pure XP?
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:16am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Also you can FORGET pugging in this league it would need to be almost purely regulars/guilds/channels, or ultimate solo opportunity?

Would it be worth zerging crafting or pooling with guildies to help level a crafter ASAP to craft good cannith gear sooner?
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:19am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #27 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 8:01pm:
Whales don't go crazy for cosmetics, so this logic seems flawed.

I don't see the draw, might pull people back who don't like current game i.e. floppy bunny

Whales are the folks being the collectors editions and proudly wearing the cosmetics.

They are also some of the folks that love any and all type of exclusivity; so of course they'll be thrilled to play permadeath and pay to win their way towards cosmetic exclusivity.

That being said; I wouldn't be surprised if the devs didn't make raid loot from this server BtA. Just to try and draw some of the more dedicated people out to play.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
I will be pugging for the griefing and Lolz. As well as meeting ya'll cross-servers. It's only so fun with the same abrasive dickheads day in day out.

Kiss

Kiss

Tongue
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:50am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
So after all this time they chose to make a fucking permadeath server? In a game that's heavily RNG focused and lag ridden? A simple roll of a 1, or lagging means death. To top it all off its VIP only.

I think a progression server with random gen loot locked at level 8 or 10 (gotta love power creep), with EE or R1 being the only epic difficulty allowed would have been better and certainly would have brought more subs in compared to the temporary permadeath server. As that seems like more of a "Im bored, guess ill mess around on the permadeath server for a bit" kind of thing for current VIPs.

On the plus side, I guess were getting something?

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:50am:
I will be pugging for the griefing and Lolz.

Grease and Sleet Storm.. Now that might be fun
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:17am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:11am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:16am:
Would it be worth zerging crafting or pooling with guildies to help level a crafter ASAP to craft good cannith gear sooner

How do you plan to do that on a server where every one is fresh off Korthos? I don't think grinding for loot to decon is feasible, unless, maybe, there were multiple people on multiple bots pooling the essences and mats together. Even then, it would need to be epic level loot to acquire the tens of thousands of essences needed to level up. Probably could do that for a bit to get enough mats to reach the low level requirements for early to mid heroic crafted gear. Or pay your way through with buying 60k essences. Sev just nutted thinking about this.

There is a gaping problem on this server, that makes competing a joke. Some people will not have access to VKF, which is probably the strongest low level focused dps melee tree, at least for the first few 20 something AP. Inquisitive is grossly overpowered compared to mechanics or artificers. With the store intact, people won't even need much skill to blast away with sorcs. Or low level healing options with store potions.

It is not even an attempt at a level playing field. This is just a not at all veiled cash grab. I expect many to not see it that way, because most got baited for the Reaper pass like fish. It was just a coat of spray candy on a pile of shit, that only went full circle to bring that game back to where it was on EE, with players who have all the racial lives and triple digit reaper points.

And it won't be some fucking PUG paradise either. There are enough people who will strictly roll new toons, non-stop, just to fuck people over. So it's going to be a purely guild and friends related endeavor.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:14am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #31 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Was unable to move for good 5 - 7 mins yesterday in Eveningstar.
Completely froze for minutes and wiped in epic Records of the past just before the boss, few hours after the "maintenance".
Good luck with that. The game can fuck you over anytime.

And there will be nothing but warlocks, sorcerers or fucking inquisitors. That thing is broken af, surprised there aren't pages of whining. Or everybody just shuts up while it lasts haha.

Will probably give it a try, until first lag death.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #32 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:35am:
Was unable to move for good 5 - 7 mins yesterday in Eveningstar.
Completely froze for minutes and wiped in epic Records of the past just before the boss, few hours after the "maintenance".
Good luck with that. The game can fuck you over anytime.

One of the 1st things that crossed my mind - a permadeath servers going to increase the level of (possibly permanent) rage quitting.

I'd say easily 25% of my deaths are lag related.  Even a quarter of a second stutter is enough for a healing spell or some needed CC not to land or the difference between you not getting away from a mob quick enough when you're taking too much damage.

From the get go they're looking at a potential cluster-fuck of negative blow back from people hurting themselves on the rusty hamster wheel that'll make the 'lost my crap during TR' fuck up look like...something that pissed off a whole lot less people than what they're about to get flooded with.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:16pm:
instead of a permadeath server, can't they make a classic server with CAP to 20 ? ( up to LOB then and everything after getting trashed ).

By god please

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Power leveling Cannith Crafting isn't feasible.  Only VIP accounts have access, so no bot army to pool quest chests.  Even if a whale bought Cannith Essences from the store, you still need collectibles.  Unbound shards require uncommon and rare collectibles.  If you've ever tried leveling a crafter past 340+ skill, you know how much of a chokepoint collectibles are.  And the collectibles you need may be a higher tier, so you may not ever see that content before the end of the league.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #35 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
IMO the best way to get high level is going to be to grind easy shit. We could come up with gear goals that are (relatively) easy to farm that allow to you push levels.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:56pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #36 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Carnifex + VOM come from Deleras (level 9ish)
Carnifex is probably the best thing you're going to get until level 15 for a melee. (?)

For casters the Cannith Challenges are going to be nice to get particular spell power items. Bracers of the Wind are probably BIS for everyone because it has perma-blur.

Our HP is going to be dogshit. No spell absorb. No quivers of alacrity.

Fleshrenders from Tangleroot.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 3:25pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #37 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
i'll give it a shot.   I'm VIP so it costs nothing to roll up a character and see how it plays.   I suspect it will be something that will be a side project that gets casual time.   I can't see investing a lot of money into starting a new character at this point.  I wouldn't do it on Khyber, so I doubt I'll do it on a permadeath server with the plan to transfer the character later and keep playing it.   I've got 4 i play regularly and all still need 1 or more epic PL's and 3 need racials.  I'd rather burn an ottos box or serious grinding of a life on them.   If I'm not going to keep playing it after the league I don't see any reason to sink a large amount of money into it in the form of tomes or boxes etc.    

But it might be fun to play with some other players on other servers.  It was always interesting to see on Lama how different servers had different strategies for some content.  Like the order of shroud puzzles.   

The rewards are cosmetic and I'm not interested in the leaderboard, so I'll see how it goes.   I can already see that some quests will be automatically bad ideas and probably avoided.  Ones where the primary strategy included "i'll just rez you on the other side of that trap" or like we used to handle Von3 before it became a joke.

That era around Legendary Tempest Spine had quests where the primary way to challenge the players was "up the damage to 1 shot level because they can self heal anything less than death with impunity".   And divines became rez bots instead of heal bots.   

The griefing could become an interesting community angle.   Especially when messing with people who don't play on your home server.   Another reason to not invest too much resources into a character.  They need to be disposable.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #38 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 2:16am:
The reason POE leagues work is because no one can buy anything.

Qft. If you haven't checked out Path of Exile do it. Look at the rules for the servers. Then look at what the shop offers. It's only cosmetics. That's what keeps it legit.

I haven't kept up on the ddo store offerings. Is there a reaper point tome? If not I expect there will be.

Disabling veteran status ignores the dozen other things that rob this idea of any legitimacy.

Maybe make patron trees favor unlock only? Idk. Still it won't look like the PoE model. The store just shits on the idea of doing something difficult because it's difficult.

Also, how will Shroud work?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #39 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 2:41pm:
Also, how will Shroud work?

About how you'd expect from SSG:

Quote:
We strongly suggest people don't enter part 5 of the Shroud. Thankfully the number of people who are likely to be on the leaderboards will know not to run it. We could theoretically close the raid, but it seems unnecessary.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/507199-Breaking-News-%E2%80%93-Hardcor...

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #40 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
As far as gear goes, it seems like heroic Slavers, RL and Sharn gear will be easy to acquire and cover Level 8-20 and low epics relatively well.  I'm not sure much twink gear is needed for the first 7-8 levels. 

CC seems to be a bit too intensive for a 90 day server.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #41 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I'm not going near slavers with a ten foot pole. Those fucking traps man rofl.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #42 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
I'm not going near slavers with a ten foot pole. Those fucking traps man rofl.

Fair point.  I've not really run them much at level on a low geared toon.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Mmm, sleetstorm and grease scrolls on melee... after 6 or so levels of them building up.

Have to do it before they hit 7 and get tele scrolls.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:29pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #44 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:10pm:
Having lived in both north and south, I find the north to be the more objectionable.  I hear nigger and such a lot more when I go north than I've ever heard down south.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I further predict that they disable raise spells and scrolls but leave cakes in the store.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 1:23am
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:10pm:
Having lived in both north and south, I find the north to be the more objectionable. ...

Counterpoint, Florida.

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Permadeth .. sure .. and best place will be thunderholme SRE area Cheesy

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:19am
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:33am:
I further predict that they disable raise spells and scrolls but leave cakes in the store.

As soon as you die, your character gets booted from the world. It's like POE leagues. There are no chances to ress in hardcore. What players do is either shut down the client right before they get killed or use teleport scrolls.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 11:21pm:
Is that a good or a bad thing?

It means people who demonize the south need to get out more.  People everywhere are assholes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint