Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Massive tempest ranger nerf incoming !!! (Read 4574 times)
yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Massive tempest ranger nerf incoming !!!
Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Steelstar announced on discord the other day that rangers will be nerfed (soon) after wolf...  Angry

IP Logged

Puppies
Waterworks Kobold

"Sua Sponte" "De Oppresso
Liber"

Re: Massive tempest ranger nerf incoming !!!
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

guess its time to etr this gimpass main and do a shooty shoot inqui like everyone else

"The Quieter you Become - the More you are able to Hear"

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
At this point if he keeps punching you and you don't walk out the door, you're not a battered wife, you're just a dumb bitch.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
That's one way to make fighters and barbs look good.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Did he announce how they will be doing it and you consider it a massive nerf or did he just say "massive nerf"?

I'm curious where the "massive" part of the nerf is coming from.  Tempests are in the top DPS group, but they aren't that far ahead of other builds in that group.   And their utility is not significantly better than other classes in that top group. 

I'd be surprised if they made any changes to tempests prior to seeing how the already announced changes to helpless and base damage in reaper affect the DPS performance hierarchy.  Introducing too many change variables at one time makes it difficult to pinpoint the impact of each change.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
This may be part of the larger re-adjustment to Paladin and other self-heaing melees, which are woefully underrperforming since the Reaper self-heal nerf.

Then again, maybe the current SSG blind prejudice against melee in general and Monks in particular is rubbing off on Rangers now.

Perhaps "Their data shows..." that certain niche/Meta Ranger builds with Knight's Training and LD/Pulverizer are over-performing and now they want to nuke Tempest from orbit. Heaven forfend they should just let people enjoy a niche build that makes significant sacrifices to operate at peak efficiency.

I'll wait to scream my abject objections, but I hope this doesn't happen because Tempest Ranger is my all time favourite build to play.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:36pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I assume the following nerfs which will happen : Dance of Death removed/replaced or nerfed with a 30 sec cooldown or the capstones power is halved.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
yardarm_ wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:01pm:
Steelstar announced on discord the other day that rangers will be nerfed (soon) after wolf...  Angry

be more specific. when did he say it and what did he say. you may paraphrase.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:12pm:
Did he announce how they will be doing it and you consider it a massive nerf or did he just say "massive nerf"?

I'm curious where the "massive" part of the nerf is coming from.  Tempests are in the top DPS group, but they aren't that far ahead of other builds in that group.   And their utility is not significantly better than other classes in that top group. 

I'd be surprised if they made any changes to tempests prior to seeing how the already announced changes to helpless and base damage in reaper affect the DPS performance hierarchy.  Introducing too many change variables at one time makes it difficult to pinpoint the impact of each change.

I take it you got rotated off the cool-kids club if you're not in the know towards Steel's balance changes.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:12pm:
but they aren't that far ahead of other builds in that group.

They are not even ahead of assassins or wolves. They are close to fighters. And if doing lengthy beatdowns, that last significantly longer than 15 seconds : Tempests fall behind the builds I just listed here. By a lot. 1K cuts is the only reason their dps is even comparable on kobold dummies. The other builds don't lose 30 mp and 30 dstrike after 15 seconds for the next 75 seconds. That time frame amounts to a huge gap that could be measured if hit points were higher on test dummies.

The reason they are nerfing tempests is because many people have started rolling them. Not in small part because of all of our collective efforts here in that tempest thread, showing people how to succeed with them.

The only reason it even took those blind doofs this long to nerf wolves is because there arent any threads anywhere showing you how to adjust every detail.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
The reason they are nerfing tempests is because many people have started rolling them. Not in small part because of all of our collective efforts here in that tempest thread, showing people how to succeed with them.

They are ruining a very well balanced and enjoyable build that is not overpowered because people are taking interest on them. They really understand how to make their customers happy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 8:44pm:
I take it you got rotated off the cool-kids club if you're not in the know towards Steel's balance changes.

The "the other day" and a vague "massive nerfs" have me thinking it is bullshit click bait.   If Steel said it in Discord then that very day it would be here and on the MoBo with a quote or screen snip.   Look how fast news traveled about the wolf changes and the hardcore server.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:51pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
They are not even ahead of assassins or wolves. They are close to fighters. And if doing lengthy beatdowns, that last significantly longer than 15 seconds : Tempests fall behind the builds I just listed here. By a lot. 1K cuts is the only reason their dps is even comparable on kobold dummies. The other builds don't lose 30 mp and 30 dstrike after 15 seconds for the next 75 seconds. That time frame amounts to a huge gap that could be measured if hit points were higher on test dummies.

The only reason it even took those blind doofs this long to nerf wolves is because there arent any threads anywhere showing you how to adjust every detail. 

The kobolds only measure single target DPS.  Tempests excel especially at CC'd trash clearing because of their better AoE DPS.   One of two jobs a melee has.  I agree with your comments about the single target rankings.   They are in the top pack but not an outlier, to be sure.   

IMO, they were actually better during the post RL, pre-Sharn meta.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:55pm:
The kobolds only measure single target DPS.  Tempests excel especially at CC'd trash clearing because of their better AoE DPS.   One of two jobs a melee has.  I agree with your comments about the single target rankings.   They are in the top pack but not an outlier, to be sure.   

IMO, they were actually better during the post RL, pre-Sharn meta.   

Pretty much this, and I've played tempest forever. 

Dogs and assassins do more damage.  DoD is very strong but it's been like that for what, 5 years?

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:14am:
Pretty much this, and I've played tempest forever.

Same.  I fully expect this to be another move like unarmed damage.  Remove class feature, send Jerry out to fail at gaslighting the community about it.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:50am
Print Post  
I didn't find anything on the main discord #general the last 10 days from Steel or someone else concerning Ranger nerfs.
Since I am not in the cool kids club I might miss something in a different channel though.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:09am
Print Post  
The fact is devs are clueless and rely on players to tell them what is overperforming. I fully expect bards to be next thanks to Vincio soloing R10s.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:50am:
I didn't find anything on the main discord #general the last 10 days from Steel or someone else concerning Ranger nerfs.
Since I am not in the cool kids club I might miss something in a different channel though.

The ex-cool kids club channel is dead as dicks. Aint been a message in there in over a year.

So it was either in the lamannia channel that appears and disappears each lam cycle or it was in the cool kids channel which wasn't actively used back during my time.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:09am:
The fact is devs are clueless and rely on players to tell them what is overperforming. I fully expect bards to be next thanks to Vincio soloing R10s.

Nah, Lyn likes/plays bards.

Just wish she played more than a spellsinger/buffbot per an ingame convo we had.

Warchanter could use some love and the changes to Fatesinger while welcomed; don't really do a whole lot for Warchanter/Swashbuckler on the DPS side. And Bladesong is a bad meme. 2d6 at 100% spellpower even when toting 900 sonic on Lam was only hitting for like 150 max a pop. Go into reaper and suddenly that bonus damage is absolutely worthless.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Going by estimates here, on a maxed character, utilizing swaps, on a 500k hp red named target :
wolves come in at close to 50k dps.
assassins at 40.
tempests at 30k.

Without 1k cuts boosting that tempest falls to around 25k dps. Assassins and wolves dont have that loss of dps for extended periods of time. They simply have the same output without relying on a metered ability. DoD changes things, but not enough to change just how much dps the other builds are doing.

Take those times and we get an average of around ;
25k per hit on a wolf.
12k per hit on a rogue.
9k per hit on tempests ( dropping to around 7k per hit when 1k is offline ). 

in r10, the wolf has killed a 10k hp mob in 4 hits on average. The tempest would need around 15 hits.

Edit : math was wrong. Comes out to around 7.5 hits a second for wolves, tempests ( under 1k cuts ) and assassins.

The numbers are off by about 1/4 of each of their true value. I failed to account for attack speed boosting the hits to per seconds.

Wolves around 6.6k per hit.
Rogues at 4k rogue
Tempests 3k ( under 1k cuts only ).

End of edit

So, yes DoD is spectacular. But wolves have a simulated AoE effect due to how high their single target is. They simply change targets and keep trucking at their extremely high rate. So do assassins, and they get the chance to insta gib a large percentage of mobs on their way to having that huge dps.

So when you get a bunch of players with equal skills, in a dungeon, the kill counts aren't skewed in favor of any one build. And the less grouped up mobs are, the better the other builds perform.

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:33am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:37am
Print Post  
[QUOTE=Steelstar;6235808]We might make balance changes to things in the future. There are no Tempest changes coming in U42 Patch 4,and we don't have any concrete Tempest changes to announce at this time.

EDIT: Further, as far as Discord goes: We talk about a large variety of topics there, but it's an unofficial platform; when we've got official announcements of that caliber, they'll end up here on the official forums. Internally, we talk through a lot of balance changes and I'd estimate that only 20% turn into actual game changes; if a Tempest change becomes more than theory, you'll hear about it in a Lamannia preview. [/quote]

So, can relax for now?

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Not really U42 Patch 4 is on a deadline because Hardcore start date has been officially announced and not all changes they are planning made it in

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
DDONoob wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:37am:
So, can relax for now?

No, this means they are going to fuck rangers melees in the ass harder.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2019 at 11:16am by ILoveExploits »  

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
They are messing with rangers for the sake of a dying hardcore server WHICH NO ONE WILL LITERALLY PLAY ON ? HOW RETARDED CAN YOU BE STEELSTAR ? THIS IS NOT A PVP GAME YOU DUMBASS AND THE POPULATION IS DYING BECAUSE OF YOU !

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #24 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Gratz to your accomplishment, OP.

Remember to lick the spoon after.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint