Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) One Possible Reason for Hardcore Server (Read 4715 times)
bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

One Possible Reason for Hardcore Server
Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I think a side-effect/benefit of the Hardcore server is allowing SSG to be able to TEST in a production environment how many people can be logged in at one time to a single server and have it keep working.

I would think this would be a stepping stone to finally merging servers down to 2 or 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: One Possible Reason for Hardcore Server
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I've not experienced any higher lag levels than usual.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Jesus Christ, this topic will never die.  There will be no server mergers.  Look back at the debacle with the Codemasters server mergers -- it was a clusterfuck.  It's only gotten harder for SSG to do this since then because of staff turnover.  For example, Steelstar mentioned a few weeks ago that the last person who knew about UI APIs left about 5 years ago.  They've since lost a master list of APIs, so they would have to redo all that engineering work to allow custom UI skins.  Look at something as benign as UI skins, and then apply that same resource issue to something gamebreaking like server mergers. 

Let's not forget, there needs to be a business reason to merge -- ie, does this increase revenue or save on long term costs to justify the engineering work, compared to the opportunity cost of delivering new content or other QOL improvements?  Short answer: Not even close. And then there's the PR aspect of this to manage, which is not a strong suit of SSG.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I can't even guess their motivations half the time.

So far I'd say it's going better than expected - with the caveat of 'if and only if it's boosting subscriptions.'

We're already seeing a ripple effect of reduced activity and LFMs on the normal servers.  3 months was way too long for a trial run and I really hope they're not considering making it a permeate addition because the last thing this game needs is another server to divide the remaining player base.

Things they obviously haven't taken into account:

The longer it goes on the higher the chance of finding exploits and angles to get ahead (from...*ahem*...probably us here on the vault...).  Exploits are going to massively sour it for those enjoying it right now and when they start showing up, you're going to see a quick end to the feel good vibe we have barely into it.

The more empty the other servers look, the more they're going to lose potential sales from new players on down the line.  An empty Korthos and Harbor is really bad for the game at this point.

It might not be a bad idea to have it as a special event for a few weeks every six months to a year, but anything more is going to be like too much birthday cake.  Seems great at first but quickly becomes a burn out.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:59am:
It's only gotten harder for SSG to do this since then because of staff turnover.

The pro mergerers say there's no reason not to and refer back to the LoTRO merger as proof it can be done.  Even if the LoTRO merger went smoothly (it didn't), there's really only one question to ask on the subject:

Will DDO get the same budget, care and as qualified of a staff as what LoTRO got years ago?  The answer to that question is the final answer on the subject.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Their motivation is simple: Make more money through the DDO Store.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:43pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:09am
Print Post  
At SSG:

Hey guys, we should ditch the Lammania server. It costs maintenance money and since we doing all beta tests live, no one needs it.

Yes. ... but wait. I have a better idea:
Let's rename it and run a hardcore league on it.

WTF, and how will we earn money?

Hehe, all players start fresh and have to buy all goodies from the store since the word is empty.
Then erase all, rename it back, no one will notice and repeat this scam.

YEAH, LET'S DO IT!
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:10am by SweetKitten »  

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Jesus Christ, this topic will never die.  There will be no server mergers.  Look back at the debacle with the Codemasters server mergers -- it was a clusterfuck.  It's only gotten harder for SSG to do this since then because of staff turnover.  For example, Steelstar mentioned a few weeks ago that the last person who knew about UI APIs left about 5 years ago.  They've since lost a master list of APIs, so they would have to redo all that engineering work to allow custom UI skins.  Look at something as benign as UI skins, and then apply that same resource issue to something gamebreaking like server mergers. 

Let's not forget, there needs to be a business reason to merge -- ie, does this increase revenue or save on long term costs to justify the engineering work, compared to the opportunity cost of delivering new content or other QOL improvements?  Short answer: Not even close. And then there's the PR aspect of this to manage, which is not a strong suit of SSG. 

I wouldn’t be so quick to come to that conclusion.  Based on a few days on a new server with 1000’s of people running around (I’ve seen as many as 3 Marketplace instances) with relatively low lag, I’d say they have some chance at launching something that people enjoy. I do understand that the lack of lag may have something to do with no epic, no PLs, no TR Caches.

If I could log in to the live servers one day and have the number of LFMs I saw on hardcore, that would be worth it to me to continue to shell out too much cash for a video game. The cost associated with (competently) merging active servers could be less expensive than the cost of marketing needed to increase active VIP accounts by even 50%.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:13am:
I can't even guess their motivations half the time.

So far I'd say it's going better than expected - with the caveat of 'if and only if it's boosting subscriptions.'

We're already seeing a ripple effect of reduced activity and LFMs on the normal servers.  3 months was way too long for a trial run and I really hope they're not considering making it a permeate addition because the last thing this game needs is another server to divide the remaining player base.

Things they obviously haven't taken into account:

The longer it goes on the higher the chance of finding exploits and angles to get ahead (from...*ahem*...probably us here on the vault...).  Exploits are going to massively sour it for those enjoying it right now and when they start showing up, you're going to see a quick end to the feel good vibe we have barely into it.

The more empty the other servers look, the more they're going to lose potential sales from new players on down the line.  An empty Korthos and Harbor is really bad for the game at this point.

It might not be a bad idea to have it as a special event for a few weeks every six months to a year, but anything more is going to be like too much birthday cake.  Seems great at first but quickly becomes a burn out.

But what if the ultimate goal is to migrate away from the FtP model back to subscription based? Return DDO to a whales only game. Shutdown all the servers except Hardcore. The current experiment is research to see if the model is viable.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I agree with you about increased LFMs being good for the game.  I want to see more of them.

"Merge servers" is solutioning.  Players are fucking terrible at solutioning because they're uninformed about backend processes, the amount of engineering resources required, opportunity costs, etc.  Merging servers is likely not the right solution.

SSG could solve the LFM problem by implementing a cross-server LFM system. Hate WoW all you want, but they implemented this feature 10 years ago and the game is better for it.  That solves the same problem as "more LFMs" and it scales dynamically as players join/leave the game.  "Merging servers" doesn't scale well.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Dr_tank2vich wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:06pm:
But what if the ultimate goal is to migrate away from the FtP model back to subscription based? Return DDO to a whales only game.

I recommend reading Chris Anderson's book "Free: The Future of a Radical Price".  Take a look at the freemium model used by LinkedIn, where 95% of people use the service for free.  The remaining 5% are the ones who pay for everyone else.  That's DDO's model these days: 1000 true fans + whales = enough revenue to keep developing the game.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:03pm by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  

The best solution would be for them to create a new server as a megaserver.

Then give everyone 2 free mergers to and from said server a week.

This would allow people to say; send a main to the server to raid on the weekends or whatever and then transfer back to their main server if they wish. Or for a player to send two characters there, etc.

But by creating a server anyone can transfer to with the main population there you create an environment of a lively game population such as the Hardcore appears to have when you log into it.

That's a lot cheaper and easier than full fledged mergers, WoW style server queues, etc.

In the case of guilds; don't let a guild transfer over. It sucks but it saves everyone the headache. When it comes to character names; Do a "Bob (Sarlona)" style deal if necessary.

Unless it's a literal DB issue I don't even see why names have to be unique in DDO.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
It seems pretty obvious that DDO needs server merges and it also seems pretty obvious that SSG isn't able to make proper server merges happen. 

Sounds like it's time to see if SSG can get creative and make improper server merges happen.  Like "We're going to give everyone free transfers to your choice of Cannith or Khyber so there are two servers.  We're not going to transfer shared bank or server unlocked goodies, so just shut up about that. Guild leaders can get a single one-time token that will create a guild on the new home server that is the same level that you have now. Feel free to buy a new airship.  Good luck, suckers."

I'm pretty sure they could handle that.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
The server transfer tech works fine. The problem is the size of characters you can have on a server---as well as moving guildships ETC.

They've been letting "Self-sort" for a while now and we can see some effects. Hardcore is going to exacerbate that.

They may close 2 servers eventually but it looks awful to investors---this is why they've can'd the idea repeatedly. They just expect us to pay to swap and fix it ourselves.

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Beer wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:18pm:
They may close 2 servers eventually but it looks awful to investors---this is why they've can'd the idea repeatedly. They just expect us to pay to swap and fix it ourselves.

Closing servers and consolidating servers is entirely two separate things.

I'd imagine with the login data and playtime metrics they are generating from the Hardcore server, they've got a good chance that they could swing any shareholder meeting to see that for the good of profit it'd be best they do some sort of server consolidation.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:42pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Dr_tank2vich wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:06pm:
But what if the ultimate goal is to migrate away from the FtP model back to subscription based? Return DDO to a whales only game. Shutdown all the servers except Hardcore. The current experiment is research to see if the model is viable.

Crossed my mind, but how fucking stupid would they have to be to even consider that?  They became f2p because they weren't making enough money as a subscription only game.  No one could be that stupid to consider returning to a tactic that has already been tried and failed...

...or could they?  Undecided

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
True stuff

But maaaaybe...

If they used a tool  or "forced" players to swap servers as they offer but free of charge. the issue would be the ship leaders but that could be adressed manually.

I dont know dude, just thinking of options and beating a dead horse, that never gets old.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 4:50pm:
Crossed my mind, but how fucking stupid would they have to be to even consider that?  They became f2p because they weren't making enough money as a subscription only game.  No one could be that stupid to consider returning to a tactic that has already been tried and failed...

...or could they?  Undecided

Surely by now you have realized that these arse hats are redefining stupid.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
Surely by now you have realized that these arse hats are redefining stupid.

Just saying that if you couldn't lift a fridge over your head when you were 20, it would be insanely stupid to try it when you're 60 Wink

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Jesus Christ...

All of this is true. And reasonable. And anybody who has been paying the slightest bit of attention will know it's true. But adhering to reason and paying attention are not SSG's strong suit. I've got about 5 minutes of watching Steelstar speak but it really fit with some people's description of him believing he's pretty fucking amazing. Most of the arguments against a server merge hinge on SSG realizing their own limitations.

I also can't see a clear financial payoff to cover the cost of a merge, so I definitely agree on that point.  I just don't have confidence that they have the self-awareness to recognize they aren't capable of a legit merge.

Shitshow mass migration options seem depressingly realistic. That hadn't occurred to me before this thread. Thanks fuckers.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 4:42am
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:05pm:
I just don't have confidence that they have the self-awareness to recognize they aren't capable of a legit merge.

I don't think they're capable of clearly defining goals or realizing the best path to achieving their goals.

The forum paladins can jerk the devs up all they want, but this recent update has the potential to create some really negative blow back.

Was the goal to get people to run the dailies less and group more?  Because if it was, they couldn't have done anything dumber than simultaneously introducing two events at once to divide the player base. 

Between cove and the hardcore server, LFMs are down, grouping is down, getting a decent group together is down.  Items on the auction house are down, people buying things from the auction house are down.  Satisfaction of non-ViPs or people who just have no interest in working on a new temp toon instead of their main is down.

As I'm writing this there are maybe 10 level 30s logged in on the most populated server and I doubt there are even 50 people total in the 20-30 range.  If I wanted to group it would pretty much have to be dailies because nothing else is going to happen.

Best case scenario is interest in the hardcore server dwindles before new player interest in all the other servers does.  A temp boost in spending on the hardcore server isn't going to be enough to offset losses on ghost town servers.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 4:54am
Print Post  
It's not like you need the group though Skoodge!

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #22 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Aug 20th, 2019 at 4:54am:
It's not like you need the group though Skoodge!

It's not about the need, it's about having options  Cool  I like having a list of 10 or 12 groups I actively decide not to join because it's easier and quicker for me to solo it Wink

Seriously though, I do like having the option of "oh, I was going to solo that chain on r1 but there's a group running it on r5 - I'll do that instead."

And the mid to upper level reaper grouping has been...not up to par since the opening of the hardcore server.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #23 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Have them offer free transfers. Watch Ghallanda become the main server.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:03pm:
I recommend reading Chris Anderson's book "Free: The Future of a Radical Price".  Take a look at the freemium model used by LinkedIn, where 95% of people use the service for free.  The remaining 5% are the ones who pay for everyone else.  That's DDO's model these days: 1000 true fans + whales = enough revenue to keep developing the game.

A great example, and worth pointing out in case a SSG employee accidentally wanders in here - those 5% wouldn't spend their money if the 95% weren't there. They may not pay, but they absolutely add value, and F2P and Premium players can similarly add value to DDO.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint