Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) One Possible Reason for Hardcore Server (Read 4741 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: One Possible Reason for Hardcore Server
Reply #25 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
lag is overrated...

before flaming read the unpalatable technical stuff.

For example : I'm sure that most of you are not aware that 5G is everything about lag ( well technically latency ) and that beside that there's not much new.

First lets define lag :

Lag is when your character moves or make some action an undertermined ( and usually undefined ) time after you punched the keys needed for that move/action.
Normal Humans have about 0,5s in reaction time so we cna consider that lag is anything above that half a second.

Now lets define latency, because it's needed as lots of people think that lag = latency :
Latency is the progapation time of a packet in the network ( round trip ).
Most of the time it involves the speed of light in SiO2 ( read : Glass or optical fiber ) or Cu ( copper ), but occasionally it also involves software processing in a router.

Now what people needs to keep firmly in mind is that Latency is NOT Lag from the game point of view. ( except in a few rare cases )

There's many external things that can generate lag while the Latency is as low as possible.
Among other things :

- RAM usage ( I had huge lag when I'm dual boxing because of the constant swap from one DDO instance to the other when I only had 8Gb of RAM... I'll see what happens with 16Gb )
- Graphic Card ( yes that can generate lag when there's just too much to draw )
- Other players ( because how the game is built, in a given instance all the players gets the informations about the location of every other players in said instance and what they are doing at a given time, and when there's too much to handle, you get rubberbanding, because somewhere along the way or in your computer packets are dropped before being processed by the game so you start moving and then go back because somebody didn't get the packets that said you were moving )
- Network Traffic Shaping ( that one is tricky, while ISPs and Carriers don't talk about it [ and definitely do not want to ] they are using some traffic shaping schemes to make sure that : 1) The Internet stay up { priority to Routing protocols above anything else } 2)  The Important Things that need near real time ( VoIP, Paid Streaming, Governmental stuff ) gets prioritized above run the mill Web, Free Streaming and Gaming.

And don't forget that in a given party is one person generates some lag for any reason all the other members of the party will experience that lag. ( best cue : when somebody is DCing due to a network issue and the whole party freeze )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #26 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:59am:
Jesus Christ, this topic will never die.  There will be no server mergers.  Look back at the debacle with the Codemasters server mergers -- it was a clusterfuck. 

Let's not forget, there needs to be a business reason to merge -- ie, does this increase revenue or save on long term costs to justify the engineering work, compared to the opportunity cost of delivering new content or other QOL improvements?  Short answer: Not even close. And then there's the PR aspect of this to manage, which is not a strong suit of SSG. 

People bring up merging because these employees have never learned from their past mistakes.  Ever.

Is it a business reason to redo characters and "balancing" XP for dungeons instead of making code for new items in the store and new dungeons to sell?

Do they even know how to spell PR?

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #27 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Related to my earlier comment, I think the most likely "merger" is the elimination of all FtP servers and a single subscription-based server that will very similar to Hardcore. Maybe brand it as DDO 2.0.

It may not be a sound business idea but it is SSG afterall.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #28 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Dr_tank2vich wrote on Aug 21st, 2019 at 11:20am:
Related to my earlier comment, I think the most likely "merger" is the elimination of all FtP servers and a single subscription-based server that will very similar to Hardcore. Maybe brand it as DDO 2.0.

It may not be a sound business idea but it is SSG afterall.

I just flashed on the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's standing next to Daffy and tells Elmer Fudd "You do not have to shoot him now" and Daffy replies "He does too have to shoot me now! Shoot me now, shoot me now!"

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #29 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
There have been a lot of dubious decisions made lately by SSG.

Since nothing ever happens in a vacuum, we have to assume that there are ulterior motives for nonsensical decisions like nerfing the most popular dailies to "encourage running more content and grouping" (a non-issue) and then opening up Crystal Cove and the Hardcore server at the same time (a ridiculous notion at best).

As people may recall from previous posts, I was (and still am) strongly against the Hardcore server nobody wanted or asked for. However, since it seemed it may have value for my main server toons, I logged in and was surprised by how lively it was. I was actually sadly impressed by the egalitarian nature of it: It was a completely clean slate for everyone on the server, a totally level playing field (well, except for the twats buying their way to 20, which defeats the purpose). It certainly lets you know how many lousy players there are if the number of "X has died at Level 2" announcements I saw in 30 mins of login time is an indication.

So it begs the question of whether SSG is trying to create a Self Fulfilling Prophecy with Hardcore to create a new business model (as stated in previous posts in this thread) or whether it's just them throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I always assume ignorance and stupidity before malevolence. So I will reserve judgment until such time as they (inadvertently) drop a hint as to what their motives might be.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #30 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:24pm:
There were a lot of dubious decisions made by my mom.

Shut up, loser.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Dr_tank2vich wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:06pm:
But what if the ultimate goal is to migrate away from the FtP model back to subscription based? Return DDO to a whales only game. Shutdown all the servers except Hardcore. The current experiment is research to see if the model is viable.

I can't imagine this is what they are thinking. Would there be legal recourse from basically running the exact same game but at the same time screw over all the people who bought the expansions and upgrades but were never VIP's? I wouldn't consider those people f2p.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand ssg could screw up just about anything and I don't put anything past them, but I still think there isn't much chance of this.

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:24pm:
There have been a lot of dubious decisions made lately by SSG.

When all of your customers are checking to make sure your finger isn't on the scale, asking "it's beef this time, right?  You're not trying to sell me sliced up cat again, right?" then going home and reweighing the package - that's on the company, not the client.

The fact that "the devs thought we would enjoy this" is only being said by a handful (literally the same 2 posting over and over) on the mobos speaks volumes about the need for SSG to work on their PR.

And only opening to Vip and not offering the ability to buy it as a pass for points is very much having your finger on the scale.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #33 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 2:07am:
When all of your customers are checking to make sure your finger isn't on the scale, asking "it's beef this time, right?  You're not trying to sell me sliced up cat again, right?" then going home and reweighing the package - that's on the company, not the client.

The fact that "the devs thought we would enjoy this" is only being said by a handful (literally the same 2 posting over and over) on the mobos speaks volumes about the need for SSG to work on their PR.

And only opening to Vip and not offering the ability to buy it as a pass for points is very much having your finger on the scale.

Enthusiastically agree except one quibble - it's their CRM before PR they need to work on, PR keeps things from going bad, CRM fixes it when it's already bad, and it's bad. They've got 10 year old accounts with 100 posts coming forward to complain now.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #34 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 9:04am:
Enthusiastically agree except one quibble - it's their CRM before PR they need to work on, PR keeps things from going bad, CRM fixes it when it's already bad, and it's bad. They've got 10 year old accounts with 100 posts coming forward to complain now.

When I started my crib sheet years ago, one of the first things I scribbled down was "teach Jerry how to do his job."

I'm going to be as nice as possible here - there has been some improvement.  At some point they either sent him for minor training, had a talk with him behind closed doors, or he figured out the obvious on his own.  There has been some improvement.  A recent post along the lines of "we're aware of the issue and looking into it" is fucking miles better than what they were doing back in 2012.

But the favoritism on the forums is still blatant and obvious.  They've lost sales over it.  Period.  End of story.  This subject comes up over and over both here and on reddit.

Even reasonable criticism of changes tends to be met with rabid fanboi responses on the forums - responses that blatantly violate their own terms of services.  Anyone else would be well past warnings and had been banned years ago if they talked to other forum members the way the forum paladins lash out on the mobos.

I gave up on the mobos years ago because I'd got slapped with so many infractions from being drug into arguments that basically started civil but were instigated into something nastier by the idiots.

"I'm frustrated over this broken feature and had to rerun a quest twice because of it" should never end up with the OP being the one slapped with the infraction.

I recently went back and looked over all started threads and had completely forgotten how many ended up being locked.  Not because of my posts but because of the jack-boot thugs they allow to get away with anything.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:00am:
Even reasonable criticism of changes tends to be met with rabid fanboi responses on the forums - responses that blatantly violate their own terms of services.  Anyone else would be well past warnings and had been banned years ago if they talked to other forum members the way the forum paladins lash out on the mobos.

Not true at all. Trudh really was buying subscriptions in that thread.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #36 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:24am:
Not true at all. Trudh really was buying subscriptions in that thread.

I went back to look at all my old forum posts and wasn’t surprised to find that jackass had posted on just about every single one.  Which brings us to creative rant #2

Forum Paladins at an intervention -

“Linda, we want you to know your friends and family all care about you and are worried about your recent behavior.  We think you need help and want to support you through this struggle.”
“Why are you guys always so negative about Linda?”
“I don’t know, because she got coked out of her mind last night…”
“She just knows how to have a good time.”
“…and got so doped up she shit herself…”
“It happens to everyone from time to time, you have no right to judge her.”
“…then blew a homeless guy behind the dumpster…”
“She just knows how to party.”
“Then went home and projectile vomited all over her room…”
“Maybe she had a stomach virus, you ever think about that?”
“She has problems and she needs help.”
“See!  You’re always so negative!  Did you bring up her new dress?  Did you mention the time she spent doing her nails?”
“She’s jerking off a dog as we speak…”
“Don’t listen to them Linda!  You’re a strong independent woman!  Don’t let them control you!”

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #37 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:39am:
I went back to look at all my old forum posts and wasn’t surprised to find that jackass had posted on just about every single one.  Which brings us to creative rant #2

Forum Paladins at an intervention -

“Linda, we want you to know your friends and family all care about you and are worried about your recent behavior.  We think you need help and want to support you through this struggle.”
“Why are you guys always so negative about Linda?”
“I don’t know, because she got coked out of her mind last night…”
“She just knows how to have a good time.”
“…and got so doped up she shit herself…”
“It happens to everyone from time to time, you have no right to judge her.”
“…then blew a homeless guy behind the dumpster…”
“She just knows how to party.”
“Then went home and projectile vomited all over her room…”
“Maybe she had a stomach virus, you ever think about that?”
“She has problems and she needs help.”
“See!  You’re always so negative!  Did you bring up her new dress?  Did you mention the time she spent doing her nails?”
“She’s jerking off a dog as we speak…”
“Don’t listen to them Linda!  You’re a strong independent woman!  Don’t let them control you!”

I've grown used to fanbois, I just wish we could get rid of your giant walls of fucking text.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #38 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:43am:
I've grown used to fanbois, I just wish we could get rid of your giant walls of fucking text.

Hang in there, it's drawing to a close Wink

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #39 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:43am:

And his damn analogies.

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint