Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) An Open Letter to Severlin (Read 14579 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: An Open Letter to Severlin
Reply #100 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:14am:
And there are people working there that are limiting their future career potentials by having that rating since it is something that will be checked for certain positions.  "I see you were in a position of authority in a company with an F rating...well, thank you for your time.  We still have a lot of people to look at..."

Lol.   Your other points were reasonable but this one jumpd the shark.

The idea that someone would check the BBB rankings of previous companies on a prospective candidate is a joke.   If I was in a hiring process and someone on my team said "how about we check the BBB rating on the previous jobs for this candidate" or "I checked the BBB rating of the previous companies", I'd more likely question that person's competence than the candidate's.   I would be interested in the candidate's online footprint, however.   Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn all matter.  The BBB?  Give me a break.    

The BBB may not be extinct but it is definitely an endangered species.  Nobody under 30 knows what it is and nobody under 50 gives a damn about it.   It is a relic of the pre-internet days.   It was a "buy good rankings" pay to play system.   

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #101 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
My parents cared about the BBB's opinion.  I never have.  It's the equivalent of seeing a bullshit seal on a website stating "This site is protected from hackers by <product>."   

One thing to know about consumer psychology: More options tend to overload consumers, with they outcome they are less likely purchase -- aka analysis paralysis.  Read up on the jam experiment: https://medium.com/@FlorentGeerts/the-jam-experiment-how-choice-overloads-makes-
consumers-buy-less-d610f8c37b9b. I can tell you from an enterprise perspective: My customers don't want more than three options: Good, Better, Best.  Or in DDO parlance: Cheap, Upsell and Whale.

Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:43pm:
I agree.  More RL content would be very welcome.   

As long as the story is written by someone other than SSG.  They adapted existing Ravenloft and White Plume Mountain content well. The Sharn story (which they wrote) is mediocre but executed well through the quest arc.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #102 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:38pm:
My parents cared about the BBB's opinion.  I never have.  It's the equivalent of seeing a bullshit seal on a website stating "This site is protected from hackers by <product>."   

Agreed.  My parents were big on the BBB and other outdated forms of product/service quality reporting.   Like Consumer Reports.   My parents swore by that.   Consumer Reports was the pre-internet version of an "influencer".   

But about as many people care about the BBB as care about Consumer Reports or the Reader's Digest these days.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #103 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:38pm:
One thing to know about consumer psychology: More options tend to overload consumers, with they outcome they are less likely purchase -- aka analysis paralysis.  Read up on the jam experiment: https://medium.com/@FlorentGeerts/the-jam-experiment-how-choice-overloads-makes-
consumers-buy-less-d610f8c37b9b. I can tell you from an enterprise perspective: My customers don't want more than three options: Good, Better, Best.  Or in DDO parlance: Cheap, Upsell and Whale.

With TV, these days, there is way to much choice and options.  Hence people self limit.  They will pick a few distribution paths and watch what is available there.   For my kids it is mostly Netflix and Youtube.   We have Amazon, Hulu, DC Universe, CBS All Access, traditional cable and a few others as well, but they basically ignore anything that isn't on one of their few "go to" channels.   But they will dive deep into those for content.   

It is part of why Amazon Prime is such a smart play.   By bundling free shipping with content, Amazon checks more boxes than any other online retailer or media distributor.   Hence they have more opportunities to make the "short list".   You can buy the same item online from thousands of sources, but how long does anyone search for the best price?   Most people pick 2-3 sites to check and then move on.   And working with rando internet sellers can be risky.   Amazon, with free shipping and high trust factor and access to good TV content and movie rental and purchase libraries is hard to beat.

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #104 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:42am
Print Post  
who the fuck is severlin

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #105 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Darcat wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:42am:
who the fuck is severlin

Really?

"Executive Producer", though I'm sure most of vault would love to create a new title.

His motherboard profile:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/533851-Severlin

March 6th, 2019 interview:
http://ddoplayers.com/2019/03/06/executive-producer-severlin-interview/

You can see his posts on motherboards:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/503681-A-Look-Ahead-2019-Producer-s-Le...

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #106 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:23am:
Really?

"Executive Producer", though I'm sure most of vault would love to create a new title.

Wow, and all this time I thought "Sev" was short for "SeverancePay". I guess I should have known better, though, SSG is so hack their severance packages are probably just "And grab the leftover bagels on your way out. You're welcome."

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #107 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:41am:
SSG is so hack their severance packages are probably just "And grab the leftover bagels on your way out. You're welcome."

That's the culture of the video game industry.  Read up about Telltale's layoffs.  Constant overwork and 100+ hour "crunch time" weeks are no insurance to keep your job.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #108 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:49am:
That's the culture of the video game industry.  Read up about Telltale's layoffs.  Constant overwork and 100+ hour "crunch time" weeks are no insurance to keep your job.

Also happens outside video game industry.  Used to work for Physio-Control, manufacturer or defibrillators.  Bought out by Stryker, a global one stop shop medical company.  I quit, many others quit, and those that I knew there that didn't quit were let go.  Almost no one below upper management is still employed there, that I worked with and knew.  People worked their asses off, as salaried employees, working weekends, nights, holidays, etc, sometimes 16 hours a day even, and yet, all gone.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #109 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:49am:

Yeah, I've been following that, Ars Technica mentioned a lawsuit because they didn't give the advanced notice required by law. The video game industry could be in serious trouble soon, that kind of shit while the big houses are raking in bucks hand over fist builds a lot of resentment. Unionizing workers, laws limiting loot boxes, etc. could be a lot more drastic than just being a bit nicer now.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #110 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 1:37pm:
Also happens outside video game industry.  Used to work for Physio-Control, manufacturer or defibrillators.  Bought out by Stryker, a global one stop shop medical company.  I quit, many others quit, and those that I knew there that didn't quit were let go.  Almost no one below upper management is still employed there, that I worked with and knew.  People worked their asses off, as salaried employees, working weekends, nights, holidays, etc, sometimes 16 hours a day even, and yet, all gone.

Ouch, that sucks. I have a couple of friends who work in the medical industry, and they agree it's pretty bad. I work in insurance, but I head up software development on the SQL servers, so I get treated nice. But it's a jungle out there. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #111 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:26pm:
Yeah, I've been following that, Ars Technica mentioned a lawsuit because they didn't give the advanced notice required by law. The video game industry could be in serious trouble soon, that kind of shit while the big houses are raking in bucks hand over fist builds a lot of resentment. Unionizing workers, laws limiting loot boxes, etc. could be a lot more drastic than just being a bit nicer now.

As someone in the industry I'm more afraid of what these shitshows are going to cause on the creativity side of things.

Censorship in gaming hasn't really been that big as of late, but when there's attention on stuff like Lootboxes being in Kids games. You know it's only a matter of time before the argument moves to the content itself.

The ESRB is a joke, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it dissolved for an even more stringent system. Or god forbid, things like "violent games" being censored or outright prevented from releasing.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #112 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 6:27pm:
As someone in the industry I'm more afraid of what these shitshows are going to cause on the creativity side of things.

Censorship in gaming hasn't really been that big as of late, but when there's attention on stuff like Lootboxes being in Kids games. You know it's only a matter of time before the argument moves to the content itself.

The ESRB is a joke, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it dissolved for an even more stringent system. Or god forbid, things like "violent games" being censored or outright prevented from releasing.

That's a great point. The more these big game production houses are seen as corrupt and amoral, the easier it is to justify branding all studios with the same label and reigning them all in with strict regulation. They can't be trusted to tell right from wrong, so we the regulators must decide for them and enforce it, and if they can't tell for methods, why would we think they could tell for content.

I have to admit that as both a player and a parent (and we have some great family time gaming together) I'm already at the point where I'd gladly give up some creativity in what I can buy if it meant the hard ball P2W mechanics went away and all the odds for random rewards were disclosed by law.

I guess it's like polluting - no company wants to be the first to stop because profits go down, but if they don't stop it's going to get imposed on them when society as a whole gets fed up with the mess.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint