Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) An Open Letter to Severlin (Read 14583 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: An Open Letter to Severlin
Reply #50 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 2:57pm:
Once you have identified the servers where people are gathering on, send a warning for the server with the lowest population that it will be shutdown in XX months and that people should transfer.
( side note : during that massive transfer period an option for active VIPs to keep their character name when going to a server where said name is taken by an inactive account being offered would be a plus and indirectly would get a few people to signup as vip for a month or two just to get the transfer with names done )

rinse, repeat until you have consolidated the population on two or three servers.

But why force the issue at all? If these are virtual servers anyway, why *force* somebody to move from one to another? Sure, if you're worried about new players having a good experience then make the most populated the default, keep it that way, and let people transfer there for free, but why shut down a server people are happy on and want to stay on "for their own good"? Who responds well to that?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #51 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 12:12pm:
Seconded.  The fact that all quests are instanced should make it easy.  Rift did something very similar.  You hit the LFM window saying which quest (or any random quest) and what "role" you want to play (support, heal, tank, DPS) and the server tracks when the group is full, auto-launches the quest, pulls everyone into it, and makes the group at that time.  The LFM also notes what class you are, what spec you are, and what gear you have and doesn't let you sign up for a role that your class/spec isn't capable of or a difficulty level your gear wouldn't be effective in.

This wouldn't work in DDO for a number of reasons but the biggest are:

1. Multiclasses/off-kelter designs IE: Inquisitive on Caster classes
2. People that play completely opposite of a classes archtype/dicks that queue for roles they wouldn't perform.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #52 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 4:16pm:
But why force the issue at all? If these are virtual servers anyway, why *force* somebody to move from one to another? Sure, if you're worried about new players having a good experience then make the most populated the default, keep it that way, and let people transfer there for free, but why shut down a server people are happy on and want to stay on "for their own good"? Who responds well to that?

Is that any different to gameplay changes/balancing the past 8 months?

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #53 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 4:59pm:
2. People that play completely opposite of a classes archtype/dicks that queue for roles they wouldn't perform.

Ha, reminds me of this douche back in the day named wwalmart. He would join groups that were looking for a healer back when healing was a thing(pre pre reaper)even though he really didn't do much healing with the battle cleric he was playing.  Roll Eyes

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #54 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
But why force the issue at all? If these are virtual servers anyway

Not forcing, just adding my two cents... Personally I'm against any merge. due to all the fuck ups that occurs during that kind of thing ( loss of Guild assets, loss of names, loss of TR caches, ... )

As I mentioned, semi-decent way of doing it... since there's no decent way ( at least that is ecoomically viable for SSG ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #55 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 20th, 2019 at 8:54am:
When I created my first toon 10 years ago I had a wide variety of choices to pick from and an option to purchase a handful of other races and classes.  The complete opposite is true today.  You have a handful of classes and races to choose from and a big wall of “give us money” waiting for you.

This is what a new player sees when they make their first character in 2019 (yes its that bad)

Compare that to the f2p Launch (Sept.2009-Oct-2010)

Drow was a freebie that you naturally get questing, so you really only had 1 P2P race.

What it looked like after Update 7 (Oct.2010-Feb.2016?)

Even including drow its a 50/50 split.

Looks a little greedy with those big "buy me boarders" but they still separated the F2P races!

If you have a 4:9 f2p vs p2p ratio (2019) why the fuck would you put the f2p scrambled in with the p2p?

Separate them at least! Put a little space in between them. Huge turn off for new players.

EDIT: It looks like after they released Tiefling they stopped sorting the F2P races from the P2P.

They instead chose to sort them alphabetically. Perhaps in hopes of hiding how many p2p races there are compared to f2p ones.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:52pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #56 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
This is what a new player sees when they make their first character in 2019. Yes its that bad.

Not many people promoting the game at this point.  The few that are - the devs really need to listen to every. fucking. word. ("can't play that, can't play that, really?  I can't play that?").

Last video shows how fucking thin skinned the fan boys are.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #57 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 5:01pm:
Is that any different to gameplay changes/balancing the past 8 months?

No, but I'm trying to get a handle on what the fuck they hope to gain by it. I'm baffled. There seem to be perfectly viable alternatives that *don't* alienate a significant portion of their players, yet they steadfastly refuse to consider them. Why?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #58 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
But why force the issue at all? If these are virtual servers anyway, why *force* somebody to move from one to another?

A server merge solves two issues.

1. It makes the game more populated for the current players.
2. It improves the new player experience.

Regarding #1:
Its no surprise DDO has an incredibly low player base. Its a niche mmo, clunky, old, and quite complicated.
The mmorpg genre has massively declined over the last decade. Less time consuming genre's have taken over like moba, fps, mobile, and battle royale.

The main thing going for DDO was the PnP D&D aspect. Now its just your general fantasy mmo that happens to have the same attributes, skills, spells and feats.

Face it, things arent going to get better. At the very least make the game feel populated again for the current players who decided to stick around. Instead of the current ghost town, like a plague came and killed 80% of the players.

Regarding #2:
Whats the point in doing a F2P Launch 2.0 Update just to have your new players split among eight other servers? As well as winter and summer Korthos.

Sure getting slapped in the face with "buy my shit" and seeing the ugly winter Korthos sucks. The biggest issue is seeing hardly anyone around you. No one to quest with. This is an MMO after all...right?

Having a default server helps but this doesnt mean every new player will click on the default server. I sure didnt. Having just one or two server options is far better.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2019 at 9:13am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
The last video is a perfect example of why low levels need to be revamped. You should have access to way more abilities, earlier on.

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #60 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Beer wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:51pm:
The last video is a perfect example of why low levels need to be revamped. You should have access to way more abilities, earlier on.

A couple of guys who spend all their time saying every other MMO has better combat than DDO really should be a wake up call for the devs about worrying more about first impressions.  I don't think it's true at all - DDO's combat is amazing - but there's also an insane learning curve that should've been dealt with ages ago.  Better starting gear and paths and something resembling a real tutorial would go along ways towards new player retention.

They really, really, really need to loosen the purse strings on races too.  Having that many premiums is a horrible first impression.  Yeah, you can earn drow, but they don't know that making their first toon.  Like it would kill them to give away half-elf and warforged.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #61 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 5:21pm:
Like it would kill them to give away half-elf and warforged.

Wf was origined in eberron if im not mistaken, it would be great for any follower of the setting to have acces to it. In any case, its not like its 2009 and playing a wf is a game changer in any way.

If anything, they should convert drow fully to f2p and give wf  too. Hell, even tossing a bone to new players like 80% of discount in your 1st pack or something.

Or why not, 1 month complete free access, if not to all content (thats asking too much), at least to stuff released previous to motu. Even that would get a lot of people hooked,

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #62 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:49pm:
A server merge solves two issues.

1. It makes the game more populated for the current players.
2. It improves the new player experience.

But cross server grouping also solves both, just as well, and without the side effect of pissing off the people who don't want a merge. Plus, if there are problems, you can pause or reverse it, server merge is step off a cliff and pray there is an air bag at the bottom.

Voluntary free moves to a "mega server" where all new players are sent is also just as effective without pissing anybody off. The people who don't want a merge but have one forced on them aren't going to happily start joining groups once they're there, why drag them along and listen to their complaints?

And both options avoid the negative publicity of a server merge, which is basically announcing your game is dying and new players shouldn't bother.

So other than "that's how we do it here", why pick the option that pisses off a substantial group of players and carries greater risk?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #63 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 9:05pm:
But cross server grouping also solves both, just as well, and without the side effect of pissing off the people who don't want a merge. Plus, if there are problems, you can pause or reverse it, server merge is step off a cliff and pray there is an air bag at the bottom.

Voluntary free moves to a "mega server" where all new players are sent is also just as effective without pissing anybody off. The people who don't want a merge but have one forced on them aren't going to happily start joining groups once they're there, why drag them along and listen to their complaints?

And both options avoid the negative publicity of a server merge, which is basically announcing your game is dying and new players shouldn't bother.

So other than "that's how we do it here", why pick the option that pisses off a substantial group of players and carries greater risk?

If you can't spin a server merger you're actually the worst development team in the business. Not saying it looks good; most of the time it looks bad. But it can always be spinned in a good way for investors and players alike.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #64 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 7:05am
Print Post  
- but there's also an insane learning curve that should've been dealt with ages ago.  Better starting gear and paths and something resembling a real tutorial would go along ways towards new player retention.

Actually the Original Tutorial quest, Euphonia's Challenges and the old Lower Harbor were better than The Grotto and the two Korthos ( not even going into Misery's pain, as in a level from 0 to Pain in the Navel level of Painful to Run, Misery's stands just below Pain in the Navel ) at explaining the game mechanisms.

Meursault wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 9:05pm:
But cross server grouping also solves both,

Not Gonna Happen,
The servers are fully separate, frontend and backend, it means that the databases are separate, and with the money they have and the current crop of Devs that have no clue about the intricacities of how the game is setup, it's standing somewhere in the domain ranging from the No Can't Do to the Less Chances Than a Snowballs in Hell . A Server merge ( while being highly unlikely ) has more chances to happen than cross server grouping.
[ note : that in no way it means that I'm advocating for a server merge, as stated before, I'm against it, just giving that as a reference point for the chances of cross server party to happen  Roll Eyes]

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #65 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Beer wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 4:51pm:

The start has always been slow in DDO. Especially with the old Enhancement system. Since it mimics PnP D&D.

This issue with giving players more abilities, spells, enhancement points, feats etc. at low levels is you abandon the PnP D&D aspect of DDO.

You're left with two choices:

1. Make the game more enjoyable from the beginning but alienate PnP players.
2. Keep the game the same but alienate non-PnP players from the boring/sluggish beginning.

The PnP aspect of DDO is about the only thing going for it at the moment. So I'm not sure if abandoning that aspect even more would be a good idea.

Then again, the game has abandoned so much of the PnP aspect already, would it really matter? Hard choice.

They really, really, really need to loosen the purse strings on races too.  Having that many premiums is a horrible first impression.  Yeah, you can earn drow, but they don't know that making their first toon.  Like it would kill them to give away half-elf and warforged. 

I think it would kill them to give out Warforged seeing as its still the only race that can be repaired.

Drow and Half-elf would be easy decisions and would make the f2p-p2p ratio more appealing.

A complete re-vamp of the favor system needs to happen. Give out meaningful rewards like an option to pick a race or enhancement tree. 5000 favor should give something like a +1 or +2 Supreme Insightful Tome.

Favored Soul should be made f2p too.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2019 at 9:27am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 25th, 2019 at 9:03am:
you abandon the PnP D&D aspect of DDO.

Happened years ago with Dodge, Dodge Cap, MRR, PRR, spellpower, etc.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #67 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:28am:

Heres a comparison of the random gen loot from the same quest, difficulty, and class [2012 vs 2019] (Irestone Inlet, Normal, Artificer):

[Dates of both screenshots were March]

I think its safe to say DDO has left the PnP D&Ders behind. Considering levels 3 or 4 would be getting this reward list. All immersion has been thrown out the window.

They should definitely update the early levels. Make it exciting like the new random gen. DDO's early levels are about as exciting as looting a +1 docent in a level 4 quest. 
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2020 at 9:53pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:15am:
They should definitely update the early levels. Make it exciting like the new random gen. DDO's early levels are about as exciting as looting a +1 docent in a level 4 quest. 

Keep on the Borderlands is update 45(ish).

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #69 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:28am:

To be fair, the system that spellpower replaced had no place in P&P either.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #70 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:26am:
To be fair, the system that spellpower replaced had no place in P&P either.

I don't quite get while people bitch about every one of those changes. Some of them are good for the sake of translating a turn based system into a real time action combat system. Especially when it comes to the situation of needing to scale player power.

Though; in that regard I blame the devs for scaling mobs exponentially outside of the D&D hit die. We wouldn't need spellpower if mobs had HP in a reasonable fashion.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #71 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 4:01pm:
I don't quite get while people bitch about every one of those changes. Some of them are good for the sake of translating a turn based system into a real time action combat system. Especially when it comes to the situation of needing to scale player power.

Though; in that regard I blame the devs for scaling mobs exponentially outside of the D&D hit die. We wouldn't need spellpower if mobs had HP in a reasonable fashion.

I'm one of the ones who bitch about the repeated deviations from PnP. I get that some changes had to be made, D&D doesn't directly translate to a MMO format, but once you've made your adaptations, that should be it. D&D wasn't perfectly balanced and scaled, but it was a lot better than DDO is now. They keep changing things, adding things, breaking things, and they get farther and farther from a balanced system.

They have this arrogance that they know better than the D&D game designers, and they're incompetent hacks.

I want them to stick to the D&D rules not because the D&D rules are perfect, but because they're stable and better than anything this crowd has been able to come up with in 10 years. I'm tired of the crap these "rock stars" try to pass off as improvements.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
It is like watching a bunch of Fast and the furious fanboys cut loose on a Maserati.
This lot should go back to putting fuel in the tank instead of trying to port and polish.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #73 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Great post Skoodge, as usual.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Aug 20th, 2019 at 10:40am:
At this point they already shot off all of their toes and are currently seeking more Season Passes to help with the pain.

We can all see their true colors with the Optional XP ransack. Heroic leveling is untouched. I have yet to see anyone farm Shadow crypt, Von 3, or Litany more then three times. This just hurts casuals/new players farming Epic XP Dailies then logging off. They just want to sell more Epic Ottos boxes and XP Elixirs. Best of luck with those Destinies and pastlives. New players don't stand a chance. Casuals will eventually just leave.

Heres a graph showing the population numbers in graph form:

https://i.imgur.com/F9K3z7v.png

At this point the best thing they can do is reduce the servers down to two. The game is old, its a niche mmo, and quite complex. The f2p model is garbage, its a sub only game at this point with an extended trial period. Cant rely on new players nor would revamping new player experiences do much. Reducing the servers will make DDO feel alive again for the current dedicated player base . Then focus everything into making good store cosmetics and content. Preferably raids that are actually fun to play instead of puzzle bullshit or cheese mechanics.

Not listed on the graph is the exploit golden age directly corresponds with higher game population.   This should tell them 1 of 2 things:

1) A LOT of people like finding (I'd argue most were shown, not found themselves) a "game within a game."

2) Their crafting mechanics are SERIOUSLY out of line with what most players find tolerable grind, so much so that people are willing to risk EXTREME PREJUDICE to bypass their shitty systems. 

But let's not forget, it wasn't JUST duping (which had at least 3 iterations that I'm aware of).  We had anniversary cards that could be both duped AND could give you a reward without consuming the card.

We had free renown in Orchard.
We had ED abilities in Heroics.
There was tome re-use.
You could trade BtC ingredients.
You could mail BtC items.
You could re-use XP stones. 
And these are just off the top of my head. 

I'm not saying they should necessarily fully embrace exploiting, but perhaps removing half of the stick from their asses might be prudent.

They should ALWAYS be looking at the new player experience.   Having so much money grab is objectively not a good experience.  They should give new accounts 1 month free VIP.  They'd still need to differentiate between F2P classes/races and ones only temporarily accessible while ViP is active, but it would go a long way to masking the P2P aspect, give new players a chance to try content before they commit to purchasing it, and give them a bit of an XP boost (plus DD) to help keep pace with vets. The only "Buy Now" icons they should see are the expansions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #74 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 2:51am
Print Post  
no. wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 8:34pm:
I'm not saying they should necessarily fully embrace exploiting, but perhaps removing half of the stick from their asses might be prudent.

Been considering writing up another long-ass post about how duping is actually better for the community than not.  Nothing makes new players happier than someone handing them a stack of ings that fell off the back of the truck and I've literally watched dozens of new players quit out of frustration when they're running something released after the dupe-fest that no one can or will help them out with (I'm looking at you epic ToEE).  When people help them jump over that massive grind wall, they stick with the game.  When they realize just how many hours they're going to have to put in to get a single crappy sword, they quit.

Good loot isn't enough to balance out an overly long or unenjoyable quest.  If the quest is fun and has decent XP per minute, people will always run it even if they don't need anything more out of it.  I'll still jump in every WPM group I see even though I've pulled everything a dozen times by now.

If you're having that much of a problem with people stealing bread, you should lower prices - not increase security or penalties for stealing the bread.  If you understand the tactics that make a fascist government, you'll understand the tactics to avoid to prevent yourself from becoming a fascist gaming company.

Side note: how do you get your gear devs?  Are you using crap gear, do you farm in groups (because it's hard as hell for us to get groups together to farm any of the older packs) or do you just have what you need added to your inventory?

Don't help each other but go try and collect the ings to upgrade anything from epic ToEE.  No cheating, you can put up groups for players to join for the farm but that's it.  Go try and farm a shard or a seal from the old epic crafting.  Go try and farm 10 pieces of polished ore.  Go solo farm enough ings to make anything epic from the cannith challenges.

Go do all these things and you'll have a better idea why duping was a problem - and maybe a clue that you guys weren't the real victims there.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2019 at 3:00am by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint