Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) An Open Letter to Severlin (Read 14598 times)
Silky
Shroud Slacker

Re: An Open Letter to Severlin
Reply #75 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:36am:
TL;DR version: Here's what I realized today -

People don't stop playing DDO.  They get tired of dealing with Turbine's shit.

Taken you all his time to realize this shit has it? 

Great rant though quite enjoyed it.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #76 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Since it came up on the mobos, added easy improvements for hires (summery of the other post really) and collectables to the second post.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2019 at 2:35pm by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #77 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Here is what it's like to design so well that fans go crazy and cheer you on stage at PAX. While hundreds of reddit comments praise and thank you for your excellent work. They scored a 91 on metacritic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/cygjqe/shadowbringers_main_scenario_writ...

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #78 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 9:09am:
Here is what it's like to design so well that fans go crazy and cheer you on stage at PAX. While hundreds of reddit comments praise and thank you for your excellent work. They scored a 91 on metacritic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/cygjqe/shadowbringers_main_scenario_writ...

I'd like to think overall even us cynics here on the vault felt like Ravenloft was a good expansion and a general improving direction for the game.

Sharn is one of those, "What the actual fuck were you thinking?" deals.

IP Logged

Dohhv
Korthos Resident

Still trying to find the
ruler of Cannith

Reply #79 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:53am:
I'd like to think overall even us cynics here on the vault felt like Ravenloft was a good expansion and a general improving direction for the game.

I really enjoyed Ravenloft, for sure. Sharn, however... Was very hit or miss for me. Some of the quests were fun, albeit very difficult - however, didn't feel like a true 'expansion' to me.

I came, I saw, I abruptly left.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #80 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  

RL was great.  RL was amazing.  RL moved me from just logging back in and running a few heroic lives for the hell of it to playing the game a year longer than I expected it to.  I dropped a hundred bucks, picked up all the packs I missed and the new expansion and had more hope for the game than I'd had since 2010.

I dropped another 100 bucks at the beginning of this year to grab the Sharn expansion (people with foreign addresses seem to have trouble using the web page store) and have felt like I've been getting shit on non-stop by the devs since.

RL kept me in the game, everything since has made me realize my money is better spent on Triple A games.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
It is a great piece to contribute to the licensing restriction argument. RL hands down the best expansion and nothing in it since the expansion. Sharn underwhelming but already has a new quest pack planned.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #82 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:48pm:
It is a great piece to contribute to the licensing restriction argument. RL hands down the best expansion and nothing in it since the expansion. Sharn underwhelming but already has a new quest pack planned.

I agree.  More RL content would be very welcome.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:05am
Print Post  

RL as content was good but the pricing strategy was oh my god what are they thinking to the point that even fanboy Trudh called them out on it. Sharn was more of the same gouging without the good content.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #84 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:05am:
RL as content was good but the pricing strategy was oh my god what are they thinking to the point that even fanboy Trudh called them out on it. Sharn was more of the same gouging without the good content.

Because no one there understands supply and demand economics and they're stingy as fuck.

This comes back to my ribbon candy analogy.  They literally have an unlimited supply of certain resources, yet are afraid to give away a pennies worth of something that doesn't sell because they think it will lose them a pennies sale later on down the road.

I can forgive them for wanting to charge triple A prices for an obviously not triple A game - but they don't even follow the sales of triple A games.  When you buy the deluxe package from a triple A game, it's packed to the gills - and usually includes actual physical merchandise with it.

What do they offer?  Usually a hire and a cosmetic and a handful of crap.  Even on the forums most people that buy the highest tier sales admit they're basically doing it out of charity to keep the game running - but even then Turbine still wants to break the ribbon candy in two and call it a bonuses.

The whales are going to buy everything no matter what.  You don't aim the sales or the packaging at the whales.  You aim it at the people who normally wouldn't be inclined to make that purchase and it has to be tempting as hell.  The premium packaging (really the top two tiers) should include and ottos box.

"But we'll lose money later" the idiots cry.

No you FUCKING won't if you have a fucking clue how to market.  You have an unlimited supply.  An experienced player can eat up an Ottos box every 3 days.  If they have them they can easily use over 100 a year.  You only offer them for a limited time so it absolutely will NOT hurt sales if you 'give' one away for a fucking 130 dollar package that does not include 130 dollars worth of merchandise.

Time out your sales where there is a few month gap between.  Ottos, new expansion, Ottos.  The whales are going to continue to buy an Ottos every time you release them, regardless of 'giving' one away in a package - but you'll see more of your casual players and non-whales willing to spend more money on the game.

I swear these people have never seen a commercial in their lives.  Things sell when advertised as 'a 300 dollar value for ONLY 129 dollars.'  'ALMOST a 129 dollar value for only 129 dollars' is a stupid as fuck tactic.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #85 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:33am:
"But we'll lose money later" the idiots cry.

No you FUCKING won't if you have a fucking clue how to market.  You have an unlimited supply.  An experienced player can eat up an Ottos box every 3 days.  If they have them they can easily use over 100 a year.  You only offer them for a limited time so it absolutely will NOT hurt sales if you 'give' one away for a fucking 130 dollar package that does not include 130 dollars worth of merchandise.

If only crack dealers were as stupid  Cry

Tomes are another thing they're too stingy with, when they were more common more people chose builds that needed them, and bought them if they didn't turn up. Now, at least among people I play with, they choose builds that don't require tomes because they assume tomes are virtually pay only.

Diluting tome drops with crap tomes gave a slight bump in sales at first, but once people caught on they adjusted. Like lottery winners taking the one time payout instead of the much larger payments over time.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #86 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I thought that the RL and Sharn packages were flawed because they were not making packages that appealed to their individual audience segments.

You have, generally speaking, two groups they were trying to target:

Power/meta gamers who want to buy progressions and speed ups  (ottos, tomes, xp pots, etc)

Cosmetics/QoL gamers who want to buy pets, outfits, weapon glammers, cloaks, etc. 

Then they had global items that appeal to everyone (Iconic races, Quick travel clickies, etc)

But they mashed all of these together in one purchase bundle.   So the power gamers felt top option was light on features (because they don't really want half the items).  The QoL cosmetics folks felt the same way.   And then the people who just want the global stuff really felt it was overpriced.   The only people who were happy were the small venn diagram cross section that wants the progression/speed ups, the global stuff, AND the cosmetics and pets and such.   But that's a very small segment of your audience for the expansion.

Better to have:

Base purchase + Globals  (Quit making people who just want the iconic/race pay for more stuff than needed.  Put it in the $40 expansion price point.   Itemize it later when doing DDO points if you want, but in the market bundle, don't make them go get a bigger bundle than they want).

Base Purchase + Globals + power stuff  (more than what was offered in Sharn/RL because you took out the cosmetic stuff and replace with more progression stuff)

Base Purchase _ Globals _ Cosmetic/QoL stuff  (again, more than offered in Sharn/RL because you yanked out tomes and such)

Master Pack with Globals, Power, Cosmetic/QoL Stuff

Maybe not that EXACTLY.   But something like that.   Know your audience.  Target your offerings.  Even with 3 tiers it still felt like a one size fits all offering set.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #87 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:27am:
ase purchase + Globals  (Quit making people who just want the iconic/race pay for more stuff than needed.  Put it in the $40 expansion price point.   Itemize it later when doing DDO points if you want, but in the market bundle, don't make them go get a bigger bundle than they want).

Base Purchase + Globals + power stuff  (more than what was offered in Sharn/RL because you took out the cosmetic stuff and replace with more progression stuff)

Base Purchase _ Globals _ Cosmetic/QoL stuff  (again, more than offered in Sharn/RL because you yanked out tomes and such)

Maybe not that EXACTLY.   But something like that.   Know your audience.  Target your offerings.  Even with 3 tiers it still felt like a one size fits all offering set.

That would be a great angle too.  Big thing is whatever they offer needs to come off as a great deal and not feel like it is - pretty much literally counting out 40/80/130 dollars worth of merchandise and calling it a bargain.  Their packages feel like white trash parents trying to break up 2 bags of circus peanuts, a half a bag of jelly beans and a bite sized twix to make 10 Easter baskets.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #88 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I thought that the RL and Sharn packages were flawed because they were not making packages that appealed to their individual audience segments.

You have, generally speaking, two groups they were trying to target:

Power/meta gamers who want to buy progressions and speed ups  (ottos, tomes, xp pots, etc)

Cosmetics/QoL gamers who want to buy pets, outfits, weapon glammers, cloaks, etc. 

Then they had global items that appeal to everyone (Iconic races, Quick travel clickies, etc)

But they mashed all of these together in one purchase bundle.   So the power gamers felt top option was light on features (because they don't really want half the items).  The QoL cosmetics folks felt the same way.   And then the people who just want the global stuff really felt it was overpriced.   The only people who were happy were the small venn diagram cross section that wants the progression/speed ups, the global stuff, AND the cosmetics and pets and such.   But that's a very small segment of your audience for the expansion.

Better to have:

Base purchase + Globals  (Quit making people who just want the iconic/race pay for more stuff than needed.  Put it in the $40 expansion price point.   Itemize it later when doing DDO points if you want, but in the market bundle, don't make them go get a bigger bundle than they want).

Keep in mind who the "Brand Manager" (Marketing Manager) is. To my knowledge, she has absolutely ZERO Marketing experience and the sales (their frequency or infrequency, the order in which they're offered, or even what's put on sale/size of the discounts) painfully reflect that.

They should have kept her as the Community Manager. She sure as hell is no good in her current position.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #89 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Just realized haven't bothered looking at their BBB rating since the switch from Turbine to SSG.

If I came in to work with a company with an F rating and a pattern of complaint warning on the BBB, someone's head would be going on the chopping block. 

https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/needham-hgts/profile/video-game-dealers/standing-stone...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Know your audience.  Target your offerings. 

That's the thing that triggers me. It feels like they don't even gaf. Like, how hard is it to come up with a few packages for your expansion? This goes well beyond incompetence and into either laziness and apathy at best, to downright disdain at worst.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
That's the thing that triggers me. It feels like they don't even gaf. Like, how hard is it to come up with a few packages for your expansion? This goes well beyond incompetence and into either laziness and apathy at best, to downright disdain at worst.

We've known for years that they actively hate the players.  Looked at thru that lens, everything they do makes sense.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #92 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:46am:
Keep in mind who the "Brand Manager" (Marketing Manager) is. To my knowledge, she has absolutely ZERO Marketing experience and the sales (their frequency or infrequency, the order in which they're offered, or even what's put on sale/size of the discounts) painfully reflect that.

They should have kept her as the Community Manager. She sure as hell is no good in her current position.

I'm honestly surprised Tolero even made it on the ship to SSG in the first place.

What exactly has she done for Turbine as a whole across all the years she's worked there?

Edit: I know her various titles and positions. I mean what the fuck has she literally done?
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:09pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #93 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
<snip>
Better to have:

Great idea, though I'd suggest a slight modification - instead of 4 "tiers" to cover the possible combinations, sell the base and allow add-ons as check boxes where buyers could choose some or none. It scales better if they identify more than 2 specialties, which they should be looking to do.

But I agree their current approach is one size fits none.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #94 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:08pm:
I'm honestly surprised Tolero even made it on the ship to SSG in the first place.

What exactly has she done for Turbine as a whole across all the years she's worked there?

Edit: I know her various titles and positions. I mean what the fuck has she literally done?

Someone has to set up the pacman LARP.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #95 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:08pm:

A better job than Cordo.
Plays better than Cordo.
… I could go on and on...

They are afraid of the "stocking" players who just buy it all at once on discount.

Hint: Setup a coupon to buy "quantity of one" items (heart, challenge tokens, tree, race class, Guest pass, monster manual) at an 80% discount to whet the appetite of those who never use them. I see all of these end-game people who can't wait to get back to 30 and would spend stuff to get back up there or grind to complete the monster manual.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #96 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:25pm:
Someone has to set up the pacman LARP.

Grin Grin Grin

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #97 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 11:53am:
Just realized haven't bothered looking at their BBB rating since the switch from Turbine to SSG.

To be fair, I've never been convinced that the BBB isn't a scam.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #98 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:56am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 9:11am:
To be fair, I've never been convinced that the BBB isn't a scam.

The BBB ranking is not that big a deal

They are supposed to be an independent arbiter between businesses and consumers.  Yet they seek to generate revenue from selling their accreditation services to businesses.   That;s a classic conflict of interest.

There are numerous examples where the BBB has changed D or F rankings to A when the organization starts paying dues.  And vice versa.  When they stop paying dues, their ranking drops from A to D or F.   

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/beverly-hills/profile/pizza/spago-1216-13164383

You think Wolfgang Puck's Spago in Beverly Hills is a poorly run business?   Or just one that doesn't play the BBB game or use the BBB arbitration services to resolve customer complaints?   

My company does not pay for BBB accreditation or use their services either.   

Did anyone here check the BBB ranking for any game company before deciding to purchase or play a game?  I haven't done it ever.   And I've purchased hundreds of games.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:04am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #99 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 9:11am:
o be fair, I've never been convinced that the BBB isn't a scam.

Yes and no.  Leans towards scam but not a full on racket.  More of a "throw us a little cash and we'll knock your grade up some, if you don't you get the grade you deserve," which can be raised by basically dealing with customer issues as they come up.

Asheras wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:56am:
The BBB ranking is not that big a deal

Not nearly as much as it used to be, true.  But it's still somewhat relevant.

Asheras wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:56am:
Did anyone here check the BBB ranking for any game company before deciding to purchase or play a game?  I haven't done it ever.   And I've purchased hundreds of games.

You don't do it for the consumers per se as much as you do for investors and backers.  You don't have to be accredited, but BBB is still part of building your brand trust.  Completely ignoring your client base isn't a good move for any business - and their rank basically shows what we all know - they don't give sweet FA about people's satisfaction with their product or resolving issues as they come up. 

And there are people working there that are limiting their future career potentials by having that rating since it is something that will be checked for certain positions.  "I see you were in a position of authority in a company with an F rating...well, thank you for your time.  We still have a lot of people to look at..."
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:20am by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint