Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) The Ultimate PKing method in hardcore! (Read 11348 times)
Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Re: The Ultimate PKing method in hardcore!
Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 1st, 2019 at 6:16am:
Normally I'd agree with you on this one, but the fact that it's happening on the P2W server does make it feel a lot more "Robin Hood" to me. If they spread a sense distrust in P2W, they really have done the game a service. Maybe SSG will finally focus on selling a game instead of selling grind mitigation. Sure it's pain in the short run, but in the long run it's the only viable path forward. (refocusing to selling a game being the necessary pain, not the griefing, not sure if that's clear)

Which server is p2w so i can go there after im done on hardcore.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #26 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Sep 1st, 2019 at 2:09pm:
Which server is p2w so i can go there after im done on hardcore.

LOL, you've got 3 in the top 100, do you not see the competitive advantage of store purchases?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Honestly I think the Hardcore server punishes Pay to Win pretty severely.  Most of the things you pay for (tomes, bags, xp gems, etc) are lost if that character dies.  About the safest P2W thing you can do is pay for cannith essences to level up a crafting toon that will never quest.  I know for me, I have spent less cash on my HC toons (2 deaths, 1 at 11 and 1 at 12) then I have on my live toons.  Heck, I'm not even paying to open up inventory slots and I always do that on live toons that I want to play for any amount of time.

I think it's far easier to justify spending for things like tomes and inventory slots on a character that will keep them across multiple lives for multiple years than it is for a throw-away character that you're using to try to get on a leader board or you're trying to earn a cosmetic with.

Sure, you can spend all that cash but it doesn't make you invincible and death flushes all that cash down the drain.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #28 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
The pay to win talk on the HC server is just sour grapes by people who are either not participating or are salty over their own deaths.

Sure you can give yourself some minor advantages with some store purchases, but it's pretty small.  If you get to 10 or 20 Reaper AP or get to 5000 favor without a death, then you put in some game time and played well.   

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #29 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 12:57pm:
Honestly I think the Hardcore server punishes Pay to Win pretty severely.  Most of the things you pay for (tomes, bags, xp gems, etc) are lost if that character dies...

No, according to https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/507659-Hardcore-League-FAQ

"When the Hardcore League ends on November 15, players will have a limited time to transfer any character from the Hardcore Server to any of the existing DDO servers of their choice - even characters who have died."

So spend up, laddies, your purchases are safe with us!

Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:08pm:
The pay to win talk on the HC server is just sour grapes by people who are either not participating or are salty over their own deaths.

Fair enough, I'm not participating. But if it really were as minor as some vocally assert, wouldn't SSG have forgone the trivial income for the appearance of fair play?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:08pm:
The pay to win

LOL. Or, you know, the fucking pay store? If you want a real, hardcore, league. Go play POE. DDO league is cash grab fund raising. Let's not pretend deeply here

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #31 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:13pm:
Fair enough, I'm not participating. But if it really were as minor as some vocally assert, wouldn't SSG have forgone the trivial income for the appearance of fair play?

The store sells things besides P2W.   Things like Bells of Opening, Airship Beacons, Inventory space, Bank Space, Gold Seal Hirelings, Spell components, thieves tools, etc.

There are a lot of "I can't be bothered to run to house J (or whereever) to get it.  I'll just buy it."   

If someone does want to spend like mad for no real advantage though, then who cares?  Someone spent $500 to get to cap using gold rolls on day 1 or 2.  Reincarnated (spending more DDO points on a heart, probably) and promptly died at a low level.   That 34 point build and 1 PL did him a lot of good. 

You want to argue about how unfair the playing field is in a game you aren't even playing in?  When people playing it are telling you it doesn't really matter.   OK.  Think what you want.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #32 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:43pm:
The store sells things besides P2W.   Things like Bells of Opening, Airship Beacons, Inventory space, Bank Space, Gold Seal Hirelings, Spell components, thieves tools, etc.

There are a lot of "I can't be bothered to run to house J (or whereever) to get it.  I'll just buy it."   

If someone does want to spend like mad for no real advantage though, then who cares?  Someone spent $500 to get to cap using gold rolls on day 1 or 2.  Reincarnated (spending more DDO points on a heart, probably) and promptly died at a low level.   That 34 point build and 1 PL did him a lot of good. 

You want to argue about how unfair the playing field is in a game you aren't even playing in?  When people playing it are telling you it doesn't really matter.   OK.  Think what you want.       

I mean.

Bells are pretty p2w especially on a non-rogue/arti. Gold seals? Yea easily p2w as you can have multitudes of hires active. People buying tomes are either the dumber p2w players, or the really really loaded ones.

The smarter p2w would buy gold seal healing pots, xp pots, Death ward augments etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:37pm by acidpickachu »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #33 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
acidpickachu wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:35pm:
I mean.

Bells are pretty p2w especially on a non-rogue/arti. Gold seals? Yea easily p2w as you can have multitudes of hires active. People buying tomes are either the dumber p2w players, or the really really loaded ones.

The smarter p2w would buy gold seal healing pots, xp pots, Death ward augments etc.

Oh.  A bell of opening.  I can unlock that door.  That is so OP.  When the only rewards are Reaper XP and Favor.  Because optionals count for both of those.  No... Wait.   They don't.    But it is still Pay to Win, even if it has no impact on the current league's reward targets.   Right?    Wrong.  False.   If you are going to call Bells of Opening P2Win on hard core, then you honestly don't have a clue what you are talking about and are picking nits. 

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #34 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:40pm:
LOL. Or, you know, the fucking pay store? If you want a real, hardcore, league. Go play POE. DDO league is cash grab fund raising. Let's not pretend deeply here

Yeah, this is what I thought when I heard the announcement and I was seriously considering subbing to give it a try. Not for my whole family, just a month or two for me. I chose not to, and I'm over it, I've got plenty else to do.

Mostly now I'm just using the hardcore P2W argument as a shibboleth, it tells me a lot about people. Not is it net good, bad, or indifferent, I see a lot of valid arguments on all sides, just about if it exists or not.

And for the record, if they have to get their money by P2W, I'd much rather they do it in a somewhat isolated venue like this than by introducing a new OP class or system, I can simply opt not to join in and it has no effect on my game play. If they introduce a new OP whatever and then scale up the difficulty to preserve the challenge for people who bought it, my game is harder and less fun. This way people might take that alt they spent all that money on and keep playing it, increasing the demand to make alts more viable. Plus it buys them another year to realize they need to focus on quality and content over flash and squeeze.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #35 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Also, multiple hirelngs?   Sure that's great in Korthos, the harbor, and the marketplace.   Melee hireling DPS is trash past level 7 or so.   They just don't scale.  The casters are a joke, for the most part.   Low HP, mana challenged with weak spellpower.   The rogues are decent for getting traps.  The healers are morons, but can generally heal you between fights and such.   But I can't really see the advantage to having more than one per Player.   I have the scarecrow at level 10 and the guardian at 15.  Both are so trash they don't get summoned, despite being free, unless I need a lever puller.

And that's on elite.  You think multiple hirelings help on reaper?  How many hirelings have ghost touched weapons?  (Sure the caster hirelings don't need it, but their HP...) Ever seen them fight a reaper?   They are useful for giving you 3 seconds to toss a ddoor, teleport, word of recall, or hit your sharn escape clickie.  And that's if they can have agro somehow.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #36 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:43pm:

Says the store sells things other than p2w, then proceeds to list a bunch of p2w things as proof.  LOL. 

I don't think you understand what p2w means.  It's simple.  Since you can't seem to figure it out on your own, I'll help.  Varying degrees of p2w are STILL p2w...

Anything that provides an in-game advantage to your character that can be purchased with $$/points is p2w, regardless of whether or not the same items could be farmed.  When you buy it with money (the pay part), you paid for the advantage (the win part).  If nothing else, you're paying to shortcut the grind.

Most cosmetics and pets are not p2w as they don't provide any in-game benefit.  Almost everything is to some degree p2w. 

Bank space might be debatable, but even then, having 200 shared bank space slots to hoard up a bunch of RNG gear for your new HC toons still gives you an advantage over someone with the default amount of slots so even that's probably still p2w.

Anyone who says you can't drop $$ on a bundle of points and gain a significant advantage with p2w stuff in the in-game store over people who don't, especially on the HC server is just full of shit.

Stat and skill tomes, XP pots (moar RXP!), better heal pots, spell point pots, long lasting stat and buff pots, etc. etc.  On barebones newbie toons with shit gear, those are a HUGE advantage.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #37 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
P2w is a shitter excuse, there's barely a benefit, just something to whine about.

Grands Superhero IRL

EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

what the fuck guys...

Assholes.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #38 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:26pm:
Says the store sells things other than p2w, then proceeds to list a bunch of p2w things as proof.  LOL. 

I don't think you understand what p2w means.  It's simple.  Since you can't seem to figure it out on your own, I'll help.  Varying degrees of p2w are STILL p2w...

My dawg. I think Ash is saying there's no "w" in this case. It's just "p2." Varying degrees of not "w"ing are STILL not "w"ing.

But, I missed a lot of context. Were we talking Casual through Hard? Cuz I can see some W there.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
The Sharn hireling is op. 800 hp displace and reconstruct at ml 15.

The gold rolls are awesome. You get those daily on league if you bought season pass.

Bells are amazing if you don't have lock picking class.

XP potions for reaper.

Healing potions.

Spell potions.

Tomes.

Augments.

If you can't think of a way to abuse p2w on the league server....

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #40 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:36pm:

The gold rolls are awesome. You get those daily on league if you bought season pass.

XP potions for reaper.

Healing potions.

Spell potions.

Tomes.

Augments.

If you think those give a huge advantage you are drunk.

I was excited and hoping to see  good competition on hardcore for the reaper leader boards from the vault, instead we put p2w on the complaint list leader board of the vault ;/

Sorry to interrupt the tears, on with your show!
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:45pm by Cripey »  

Grands Superhero IRL

what the fuck guys...

Assholes.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #41 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:36pm:

XP potions for reaper.

Healing potions.

Spell potions.

Tomes.

Augments.

That sharn hireling is awful.  Be serious.   The only decent permanent hireling they give you is the level 3 cleric from the starter kit.   

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:06pm:
That sharn hireling is awful.  Be serious.   The only decent permanent hireling they give you is the level 3 cleric from the starter kit.   

800 hp bag that self heals and displaces, at lv 15, is better than any hireling in the game. Except for the robot barbarian in Korthos

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:44pm:

I just think you're a doof. If you need tips on how to use items in game, PM me.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #44 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:26pm:

Anything that provides an in-game advantage to your character that can be purchased with $$/points is p2w, regardless of whether or not the same items could be farmed.  When you buy it with money (the pay part), you paid for the advantage (the win part).  If nothing else, you're paying to shortcut the grind.

Most cosmetics and pets are not p2w as they don't provide any in-game benefit.  Almost everything is to some degree p2w. 

Bank space might be debatable, but even then, having 200 shared bank space slots to hoard up a bunch of RNG gear for your new HC toons still gives you an advantage over someone with the default amount of slots so even that's probably still p2w.

Anyone who says you can't drop $$ on a bundle of points and gain a significant advantage with p2w stuff in the in-game store over people who don't, especially on the HC server is just full of shit.

Stat and skill tomes, XP pots (moar RXP!), better heal pots, spell point pots, long lasting stat and buff pots, etc. etc.  On barebones newbie toons with shit gear, those are a HUGE advantage.

You clearly aren't actually playing on the HC server.   

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #45 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  

So I am guessing you haven't used any of those, right?

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #46 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:11pm:
800 hp bag that self heals and displaces, at lv 15, is better than any hireling in the game. Except for the robot barbarian in Korthos

Nerf Byron Scoutsword!   Seriously.  He and Eleri can clear Korthos and the Harbor while you pike the quests.  Which is nice.   You can start with 200 or so easy peasy favor before he starts going down like panties on prom night.  He is pretty useless on elite past level 3.  Also, he has no Ghost Touch weapon so don't bring him to a reaper party.   He's barely a speed bump at 57 HP.

The level 15, or the scare crow at 10, have the HP to send into a crowd to draw some aggro and gather melee mobs to nuke.  Sure.  If used properly, they can have value.    They are great for pulling levers and opening doors while you stand back a ways too.  I'm not saying they are useless.  But I certainly prefer a human party member.  Having friends in game > hirelings.   To be sure.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #47 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Slick Stick wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:27pm:
So I am guessing you haven't used any of those, right?

I've used xp pots and healing pots and gold seal hirelings.  I've not needed mana pots yet on any of my casters.   (I tend to play warlock, inquisitive, and FvS.  None of which run out of mana much).   I'm not buying shards on a server where they can't be transferred at the end.  (You can transfer characters at the end, but your shards will be lost, fyi.   Spend them before it is over...)  Nor have I bought stat or skill tomes.  For a character that can die too easily and I don't want to start a new alt on Khyber when I'm done?  No thanks. 

I have done my daily gold rolls.  Those are nice, but hardly game breaking.    An average of 4k xp per day?   I did get a +4 to +5 upgrade charisma tome on a great roll one day.  Which is useless.   Because it is BtA and I have no +4 tome in the first place.   It will go over to Khyber in a few months and become some PED's for crafting.  LIke all the other tomes I get in gold rolls.   Wow.  More PED's.  That's game breaking OP P2Win there.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:28pm:
Nerf Byron Scoutsword!   Seriously.  He and Eleri can clear Korthos and the Harbor while you pike the quests.  Which is nice.   You can start with 200 or so easy peasy favor before he starts going down like panties on prom night.  He is pretty useless on elite past level 3.  Also, he has no Ghost Touch weapon so don't bring him to a reaper party.   He's barely a speed bump at 57 HP.

The level 15, or the scare crow at 10, have the HP to send into a crowd to draw some aggro and gather melee mobs to nuke.  Sure.  If used properly, they can have value.    They are great for pulling levers and opening doors while you stand back a ways too.  I'm not saying they are useless.  But I certainly prefer a human party member.  Having friends in game > hirelings.   To be sure.

Well it's still only a hireling. Not going to compete with real players. Was only pointing out how the pay for hires are better statistically and mechanically than regular hires. Which it should be, since they are charging for them. The store sells items which are bought for an advantage. The entire premise of even having the store up put me off of playing in league. Doesn't mean people can't have fun and enjoy playing there, or that nothing can be accomplished without the store.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #49 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:53pm
Print Post  

I was excited and hoping to see  good competition on hardcore for the reaper leader boards from the vault, instead we put p2w on the complaint list leader board of the vault ;/

I mean, obviously if you cant be bothered to properly play then sure, i guess you could say its not p2w. Still, you have a numerically superiour advantage to players not paying when you die.

Sorry to interrupt the tears, on with your show!

I mean. Im actually happy that you are spending real money for fleets of hirelings. Someones gotta fund it. Better you than me. Im saving up for those trips to cancun or toronto.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:55pm by acidpickachu »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint