Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Opinions on Sharn expansion? (Read 3188 times)
Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Opinions on Sharn expansion?
Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:32am
Print Post  
So I stopped playing after disciples of rage came out. I haven't seen anything about the new Sharn expansion. What's everyone's opnion here? Is it good? And is it comparable to ravenloft? Which I really enjoyed.

IP Logged

Dohhv
Korthos Resident

Still trying to find the
ruler of Cannith

Re: Opinions on Sharn expansion?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:32am:
So I stopped playing after disciples of rage came out. I haven't seen anything about the new Sharn expansion. What's everyone's opnion here? Is it good? And is it comparable to ravenloft? Which I really enjoyed.

Ravenloft is leaps and bounds better than Sharn - by a literal landslide. Sharn is ok at best. I'd get back into playing for a bit before you spend the money. If you end up liking the game again and find yourself itching for more, pick it up. Some of the quests are quite fun - but not all agree that it's a great expansion pack.

I came, I saw, I abruptly left.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Dohhv wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:17am:
Ravenloft is leaps and bounds better than Sharn - by a literal landslide. Sharn is ok at best. I'd get back into playing for a bit before you spend the money. If you end up liking the game again and find yourself itching for more, pick it up. Some of the quests are quite fun - but not all agree that it's a great expansion pack.

Would you put it on par with shadowfell? Or is it better than that in your opinion?

IP Logged

johnnyonthespot
Korthos Resident

I Do Cocaine

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
I have enjoyed it. I can’t tell if Ravenloft is better because of the history associated and I already know it, or because the story lines are just genuinely better. I do think the city scapes are awesome, and having just ran U 34 it was better than I expected.

Also, I think the raids are pretty solid. The gear sets were well planned, I just don’t know where they go gear wise from here.

M2C
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2019 at 8:29am by johnnyonthespot »  

IP Logged

Dohhv
Korthos Resident

Still trying to find the
ruler of Cannith

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:32am:
Would you put it on par with shadowfell? Or is it better than that in your opinion?

That's a tough one. I think I'm gonna have to go with Sharn (mainly for the gear). The quests are also pretty fun in Sharn, but, they can be quite tough.

I came, I saw, I abruptly left.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Sharn is good, but not great.  I'd give RL and MoTU an A, Shadowfell was a D (as expansions go.  They would have been fine as two regular adventure packs).  I'd give Sharn a B.   The setting is cool and the quests are fun enough, but it lacks the really compelling, epic feeling, cohesive story with a really interesting main story villain.   The raids are really fun, though, imo.   I enjoy both.   And the loot is worthwhile.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Shadowfell has better explorer areas and ambiance but is an obvious 2 pack bundle with no raids. Sharn has real raids, real gear, and s ton of quests. Personally I like the cogs quests a ton and the story quests are worse but passable.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:48am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:28am:
Shadowfell has better explorer areas and ambiance but is an obvious 2 pack bundle with no raids. Sharn has real raids, real gear, and s ton of quests. Personally I like the cogs quests a ton and the story quests are worse but passable.

I still feel like they should've included thunderholme in shadowfell, while they don't thematically mesh together perfectly (although there is that shadow dragon) that would've made it a very good expansion.

Reading the responses I think i'll wait till I can buy it in the DDO store. Have they announced anything about that yet?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:48am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:28am:
Shadowfell has better explorer areas and ambiance but is an obvious 2 pack bundle with no raids.

Agreed.  A Wheloon adventure pack and a Stormhorns adventure pack would certainly be considered very good, in my book.  They just didn't make it to "Expansion" level in content, systems, or feel.   The lack of raids was certainly a part of that.  As was the loot.  Which felt more like a "we just moved the cap to 28, so lets give everyone some new ML 26/27 easy to get starter gear that will be quickly surpassed".   

As much as the expansion is rightly considered the weakest offering, Wheloon has aged nicely for me and I enjoy the adventure area and the quests.   Stormhorns is beautiful, but the adventure area is a bit too large and too sparsely populated for my liking.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
New set of quests is meh. I always solo the new quests so I can explore and experience them fully but these felt mostly like a chore

Nice area design, but not quest design and some downright (and to be honest, really fucking basic) bad game design in places

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:48am
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:15am:
New set of quests is meh. I always solo the new quests so I can explore and experience them fully but these felt mostly like a chore

Nice area design, but not quest design and some downright (and to be honest, really fucking basic) bad game design in places

The one with the dapper dragonborn is fun. The one with the crests is cancer. The first one is cancer. The last one is cancer. That's a lot of cancer.

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I think Shadowfell is better than sharn and the new pack put together. WGU by itself is a better quest than all 18 shitstain quests they pasted together in a rush to sell you shit tier quest design.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:49am:
I think Shadowfell is better than sharn and the new pack put together. WGU by itself is a better quest than all 18 shitstain quests they pasted together in a rush to sell you shit tier quest design.

Is the quest design their pattented "50 mobs in a straight hallway, copy,  hold paste"?

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:32am:
Is it good?

Depending on what do you find good. Raids are solid overall. Need good builds, teamplay and awareness from players. Its not just about pure DPS like baba\doj\kt.

Appearance of city and exploring are are well. I've expected better and much more, but its just okay.

Quests are stupidly hard both on heroic and legendary yet I wouldnt call them very fun or interesting. Supposed to be fun quests are actually annoying, some short quests are actually fun.

I also had no interest in a story line, shrugs.

For the quests, they are not hard cause of new mechanics, just because of boosted fortitude saves, to hit, AC, fortification and hp of mobs. Its still doable on r10, just way harder than presharn era.

Quests desighn is meh for me. I wouldnt say there are too many of anything, either fighting, puzzles, traps, running or any other stuff, it seems balanced. Just I dont know, I've expected soemthing more interesting and epic.

Well and gear is kinda new standart. Heroic gear making epic melee lifes tolerable and ranged just easy ride. Cant say anything good  for DC sets, you can still cover for almost same numbers with slavers, but still need some new shinies for better DC stat
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2019 at 1:18pm by Rzyman »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Pros:
Sharn has 17 quests for first time RXP bonuses. 
Great gear.
Chunky saga XP for kickstarting an epic past life.
The Masterminds of Sharn quests look good -- variety of locations and atmospheres.

Cons:
The Sharn story is not compelling.  Vaunt as an antagonist can't hold a candle to Strahd, or even his sidekick Baba.
THTH is cancer.  PN is boring. 
Just Business is too long.
I'd rather slam my dick in a car door than do Smash & Burn.
Providing minor artifacts as saga rewards and quest drops was a mistake.  Now half of raid loot tables are full of gear that no one needs.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:14am:
Providing minor artifacts as saga rewards and quest drops was a mistake.  Now half of raid loot tables are full of gear that no one needs.

Well, maybe, but maybe not. Many people just don't do raids, but quests are now scaled to the assumption that people have past lives and good gear, so maybe it's an attempt to un-fuck the power gap. I doubt it will work, the gap is too big now, but maybe it's just too small a step in the right direction.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:37am:
Well, maybe, but maybe not. Many people just don't do raids, but quests are now scaled to the assumption that people have past lives and good gear, so maybe it's an attempt to un-fuck the power gap. I doubt it will work, the gap is too big now, but maybe it's just too small a step in the right direction.

The "let's please everyone" approach of having them in raid loot tables, saga rewards and quest drops is the problem.  They're trying to appease too many audiences, and minor artifacts have been devalued as a result.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Minor artifacts are a big bump up in power. Now that the shitty adventure pack in Sharn has them, I’d say that sharn isn’t nearly as important to buy since you can now get an artifact without Sharn. The new adventure pack is very shitty. Very very shitty. But it has a nice ML29 crossbow and it has minor artifacts, so running it on Low reaper in groups until you get an artifact (any artifact) might be a good idea. Beg a guest pass from a friend so you don’t have to buy this shitty, shitty adventure pack.

If you want Sharn at some point, fine. But please don’t reward SSG for making Soul Shitter.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:42am:
The "let's please everyone" approach of having them in raid loot tables, saga rewards and quest drops is the problem.  They're trying to appease too many audiences, and minor artifacts have been devalued as a result.

Trying to please everyone, or at least make changes that please some and piss off none, is actually a really good approach, the problem is that SSG sucks at it and threw a half assed attempt that pleases nobody and angered some. Having artifacts drop in quests isn't enough to close the power gap and let new players keep up, and it annoys hard core raiders who feel cheated.

But honestly, at this point what *can* they do to close the gap? I think they're finally seeing the gap is hurting them, but they let it grow to a yawning chasm before they did anything, and now it's too big to slap a patch on and get back to LARPing.

You're still going to buy the pack even if the minor artifacts are devalued, and they know it. But many people today won't even consider raids or raid loot when buying a pack, they needed to offer something to get those people to pony up their $$$, and Minor Artifacts was it. It certainly wasn't the "fun" of the shitty quests they vomited up after a hard night of binge drinking and fellatio.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 11:41am
Print Post  
It's a good expansion.   It's not as good as Ravenloft, but RL was a masterpiece.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #20 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 2:51am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:48am:
Minor artifacts are a big bump up in power. Now that the shitty adventure pack in Sharn has them, I’d say that sharn isn’t nearly as important to buy since you can now get an artifact without Sharn. The new adventure pack is very shitty. Very very shitty. But it has a nice ML29 crossbow and it has minor artifacts, so running it on Low reaper in groups until you get an artifact (any artifact) might be a good idea. Beg a guest pass from a friend so you don’t have to buy this shitty, shitty adventure pack.

If you want Sharn at some point, fine. But please don’t reward SSG for making Soul Shitter.

How shitty are we talking with that pack? I saw it advertised but didn't really bother. Are we talking most recent xoriat chain shitty or worse?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Sep 15th, 2019 at 2:51am:
How shitty are we talking with that pack? I saw it advertised but didn't really bother. Are we talking most recent xoriat chain shitty or worse?

Xoriat chain, you mean fashion madness? Yes, it is the exact same effort that went into those packs. The quests are spacious if you like exploring for 40 minutes without rewards. They need to give a named chest if they expect people to wander off the quest completion path for half an hour.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Actually this reminds me of Age of rage pack - some great visual design and a few cool things here and there, but failing at the higher level of good quest design in places and failing in some specific and obvious design 101 in others. It feels like a new quest designer learning the ropes

I like that they attempted a mini boss end fight and some cool small mechanics

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
It's not just the wandering around part that is the problem...So many times it's not even clear what you are supposed to be doing.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Sharn, from a technical point of view, is worth picking up.  After you've farmed it, your character will be more powerful.  The level range in heroic plus the two sagas mean you can start on Sharn at 17, complete all the quests, and have enough exp with saga turn-ins to hit 20.  So from that standpoint, yep, worth picking up.

From a gameplay point of view...there are good quests and bad quests.  The Cogs as an explorer area isn't very interesting, IMO.  The Barovia explorer was much better.  There's also no analog to Castle Ravenloft in Sharn.  In both Invitation to Dinner and Raven at the Door, there was an efficient path, but also tons of nooks and crannies to poke around in and explore.  Not just dead space with mobs, but rare random encounters, interactions, etc.  Sharn quests are pretty much on a rail and the optimal path will take you to 90+% of the overall quest content.

As far as new mechanics, traps and puzzles are either completely optional or easily avoided.  Soarsleds are gimmicy for ranged and annoying for melee.  Irk is a dick.  The shrine placement on a couple of the quests boggle the mind.  In Just Business, you don't get a shrine through the first 3/4 of the quest, and then you get 3 shrines within the last 4 fights (1 boat + archers fight, shrine, 3 boat fight, shrine, Gish fight, shrine, end fight).
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2019 at 11:41am by crsm3423 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint