Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Devs head up his own arse (Read 12723 times)
Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Devs head up his own arse
Sep 19th, 2019 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Quote from Steelstar on discord this morning

The thing I'm saying is we've spent somewhere in the vein of a hundred hours of specific balance work on Inquisitive, and at the moment we believe it's specifically where we intended to put it. If people believe it's too strong, like I said this morning: The best way to do that is to show us specific comparisons vs. similar Rog GXB builds in actual dungeons

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Re: Devs head up his own arse
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Is he wrong?  Has anyone shown real world OPness relative to other ranged builds?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Xbows have been massively OP compared to other ranged options (until monk pass boosted stars) since the rogue balance pass put them at the head of the list.   

The sustained DPS is not greater than a melee, but the burst DPS is off the charts better.   Add that to the extremely favorable defensive advantages of attacking from range and it's just not balanced at all.

Melees are somewhat balanced within melees.   I'd argue THF needs a boost, Pally KoTC needs a small boost and Kensai needs a small boost (Because Kensai should never not be in the top tier) but these are more minor quibbles. 

Ranged is nowhere near as balanced.   XBows and Stars are god mode and bows and anything else throwing is hot garbage. 

And the Ranged - Melee balance is pretty out of whack.   They haven't figured out how to thread the needle of "ranged needs to be good enough to be worth playing for a decent/respectable DPS with strong defense type of build but not so good that it becomes a great DPS with strong defense build".   Because true DPS melees have always be pretty much glass cannons to create separation between the DPS and Tank builds.   They have always gated the ability to get strong defense AND strong offense on a melee.   But with ranged that isn't possible because strong defense is inherent in the combat style.  (based on current game design)

Unless they want to go to what PnP did and give ranged characters MASSIVE penalties when an enemy is in melee range.   (try realistically firing a bow or reloading a crossbow while someone with a sword is in melee range trying to kill you).   Both defensive and offensive penalties.   Also, unless you have shot on the run (and/or other feats designed to counteract movement penalties while firing ranged weapons), you should probably have zero dodge and a prone AC while firing a ranged weapon.   

For the same reason you want melees to have to choose between tanking and DPS in their build, you should not allow ranged kite tanking effectively while the build is completely DPS focused in feats and AP spend.   Any ranged build can be a tank just by staying out of melee range of the enemy.   Works well in a good number of raids and quests.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but to say that the imbalance doesn't exist between ranged and melee or between xbow/stars and bows/daggers/hammers/axes/darts is patently false and there is plenty of evidence to this effect.   To make the standard be "show that inquisitive is different from Rogue G-Xbow" is to say "Show me that Steph Curry is not markedly better than the rest of the league by comparing him to Jame Harden."   (Who is also markedly better than the rest of the league).            
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:26am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 2:52am:
Quote from Steelstar on discord this morning

The thing I'm saying is we've spent somewhere in the vein of a hundred hours of specific balance work on Inquisitive, and at the moment we believe it's specifically where we intended to put it. If people believe it's too strong, like I said this morning: The best way to do that is to show us specific comparisons vs. similar Rog GXB builds in actual dungeons

Notice he said "Where we wanted it" not "comparable to free options". You can't have P2W without the W.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:31am:
Notice he said "Where we wanted it" not "comparable to free options". You can't have P2W without the W.

Ok.  Maybe that’s part of it but it’s also massively outclassing vistani (factoring defense and burst) and scourge and tiefling and falconry and every other paid class or enhancement options. 

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 2:52am:
The best way to do that is to show us specific comparisons vs. similar Rog GXB builds in actual dungeons

What a fucking joke. You can't find a great xbow build on Orien, Cannith, or Gland. I am just going to assume Khyber, Argo, Sarlona and Thelanis are the same.

The best 10/6/4 Fusilade great xbow build is so far behind the sustained damage of an inquisitor that no one plays them anymore. The lil faggot just wants to keep selling the tree and not have to nerf his baby.

Imagine thinking the best way to compare the two is through an actual dungeon when you have dps tests to show you burst vs burst and sustained vs sustained comparisons. How the fuck do you compare anything in a dungeon?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:53am:
How the fuck do you compare anything in a dungeon?

Other games provide their players built-in real-time DPS meters.  DDO can't even dump combat logs to a file for offline analysis.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
The best 10/6/4 Fusilade great xbow build...

The best fusillade great xbow build is an 18/x rogue mechanic inquisitor.

And he is right, you compare in a dungeon, which takes all factors of the build into account for total performance, not in a dojo against training dummies that don't fight back. A lower dps training dummy build with better healing or movement speed utility, for example, can clear a dungeon just as fast as a higher dps build that takes longer breaks to heal and moves slower.

A shadow dancer wizard inquisitor, for example, is not the highest dps. However, it can heal for 3 minutes at a time with death auras, so it can just hold auto attack down for 3 minutes at a time without needing to heal which leads to surprisingly good dungeon performance.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2019 at 11:28am by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
What are talking about with dungeon performance? 

Is it running E/R1-4 as fast as possible?   Comparing run times across levels and content?

Is it end game raiding?  Comparing raw numbers on bosss beat downs? (In this case the kobold dummy times are pretty relevant.  Assuming you don’t pull boss aggro.   But some of that is based on the quality of the tank and your threat management)

Is it R8-10 end game group runs?  Measuring time to complete?

Is it R8-10 end game solo runs?   Measuring ability to complete and time? 

All of these are different.  I’m some of them (like the first one) it doesn’t matter what you use.  In some it does.    The context matters.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
In a VERY HARD raid/dungeon a tank is intimidating so you are hitting the boss EXACTLY THE SAME AS A KOBOLD.

Or there's ONE dude pretending to be a tank even if you don't have one---and they're sacrificing dps but you're still hitting the boss like it was a kobold.

Steel acts like gear swaps aren't a realistic thing. The Kob times are very similar to what we get on live---minus the VERY relevant AC, PRR, Fortification penalties.

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
---minus the VERY relevant AC, PRR, Fortification penalties.

Keeping in mind INquis got the most fort bypass of any class in the game, in an expansion where it is required to have 100% and even that's not enough.

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
He plays a broken and retarded pewpew inquisitor bs and clearly enjoys it so why should he want to nerf his own fucking build ? But its totally okay to nerf tempests because dod is soooo op op right ? Nerfing it into oblivion will make melee toons totally useless and worthless so you are forced to suck it up and deal with it or uninstall.

Steelstar you are gay and retarded and you can shove your crossbow up your ass and shoot motherfucker  Angry

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
HelloKitty wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 11:18am:
And he is right, you compare in a dungeon, which takes all factors of the build into account for total performance, not in a dojo against training dummies that don't fight back.

this is how I know you are a bad. Your first mistake is "he is right". Your second shows exactly where you are as a player. At least as far as dps goes, maybe you're a DC caster or a tank, idk, but dps is not for you.

What hits back in end game that doesn't wipe you in one or two? What hits back a ranged build perching or kiting? What hits back when it is being tanked?

What are you going to get in a dungeon? Kill counts? Against low hit point thresholds of mobs that are helpless and CC'd? Or maybe ee/r1 speed runs? Who is going to be doing the comparison? You in GXbow build then you tr into Inquisitive? On whatever the highest difficulty you can do?

Do you even know your dps benchmarks? Can you even execute that on a dummy, let alone in game? Do you even know the sequencing and correct order? Reading Slarden's, Chai's, and Yammani's replies on the mobos tells you all you need to know. And Slarden and Yammani are confirmed bads by by the better players on their servers. They can't even read hotbars and buffbars correctly to even explain their dick tucked, misinformed, opinions on things that they are not even remotely skilled at.

DPS tests are benchmarks for what you can do at your best performance. If you can't analyse that, then you're a bad. It's just as simple as that. Does Sym or Vincio always do 50-70k dps on every boss in game? Does that mean you can't tell what build deals what damage when compared relatively?   

The best fusillade great xbow build is an 18/x rogue mechanic inquisitor.

Which would still be an Inquisitive. Which I tested and the times are close to to Inquisitive dual xbow builds, but only during NHB activation. Outside of NHB, dual xbows pulls ahead. And by far largely due to rate of fire relaying that much more sneak and law damage over time.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:24am:
I'd argue THF needs a boost, Pally KoTC needs a small boost

And there goes any credibility you might have had with some...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Beer wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
In a VERY HARD raid/dungeon a tank is intimidating so you are hitting the boss EXACTLY THE SAME AS A KOBOLD.

Or there's ONE dude pretending to be a tank even if you don't have one---and they're sacrificing dps but you're still hitting the boss like it was a kobold.

Steel acts like gear swaps aren't a realistic thing. The Kob times are very similar to what we get on live---minus the VERY relevant AC, PRR, Fortification penalties.

This post is how you know someone is good at MMOing. Then you can group with him on live so he can also confirm it for you there.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:58pm:
And there goes any credibility you might have had with some...

Lol.   I think Pally KoTC is way too weak.   But I also don't think it should be on par with a tempest, Kensai, or Barb. 

I guess part of that might be antiquated thinking of Pally as having more utility advantages than they do anymore.  Certainly things like Healing Hands has diminished their value proposition.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:40am:
Ok.  Maybe that’s part of it but it’s also massively outclassing vistani (factoring defense and burst) and scourge and tiefling and falconry and every other paid class or enhancement options. 

LOL, you're right, I should have said "comparable to free options or option's you've already paid forCheesy

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
If you're focusing on free v paid content, then you're missing the larger picture: Your time is more valuable than the pittance you pay for this game.

Re: Project Nemesis.  This is more of an issue with the raid design rather than Inquisitive.  Any ranged (including a nuker) is preferred over melee since you sit on your hands for 2 of the bosses if you're not ranged.  Also, the battery rooms suck as a melee since you spend half your time dodging circles while non-melee continue uninterrupted.  And fuck the air room+elemental as a melee.

Hey Tilo, if you're going to theorycraft gxbow inquisitives as optimal dps, then take that shit back to mobos where it can be summarily ignored.

IP Logged

yardarm_
Toothless Molehunter

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 3:26pm:
If you're focusing on free v paid content, then you're missing the larger picture: Your time is more valuable than the pittance you pay for this game.

Re: Project Nemesis.  This is more of an issue with the raid design rather than Inquisitive.  Any ranged (including a nuker) is preferred over melee since you sit on your hands for 2 of the bosses if you're not ranged.  Also, the battery rooms suck as a melee since you spend half your time dodging circles while non-melee continue uninterrupted.  And fuck the air room+elemental as a melee.

Hey Tilo, if you're going to theorycraft gxbow inquisitives as optimal dps, then take that shit back to mobos where it can be summarily ignored.

nah he will just cry about dire charge being op again  Cheesy

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
How the fuck do you compare anything in a dungeon?

How about one Inquisitor kills r10 Sub boss in about 15 seconds from the barrier lol.

Did r10 Amrath - 3 Shiradi Inquisitors ( me, Butters and Vinci ) - Demon assault boss died in 10 seconds, before the first trash wave charm ran off .

Pull bosses WITH all the Diplo and threat reduction from good melees.

Shits on everything - kensei, barbie, wolf, whatever.

Like the talk about monkcher though. Half the server are inquisitors yet they talk about the last monkcher that died in about 2017.

You can compare "by experience".
Don't need dps meter to see how fast shit dies. It certainly would be fun to have though.

That post by Steel MUST be a joke, please ?

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 7:56pm:
That post by Steel MUST be a joke, please ?

Can confirm it is not.

The sadest thing is that some people in the discord and on the forums actually believe it
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2019 at 8:30pm by acidpickachu »  

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
And he is right, you compare in a dungeon, which takes all factors of the build into account for total performance, not in a dojo against training dummies that don't fight back. A lower dps training dummy build with better healing or movement speed utility, for example, can clear a dungeon just as fast as a higher dps build that takes longer breaks to heal and moves slower.

All of the “dungeon factors” that you talk about disproportionately affect melee heavier than inquisitive.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 7:56pm:
You can compare "by experience".
Don't need dps meter to see how fast shit dies. It certainly would be fun to have though.

Yeah, if you're a good player than you can pull it off in game. I know a good amount of guys that don't care about lama testing, but those guys are pulling it off in game on the hardest difficulties, and would also do so on a dummy anyway.

And most of those players can agree on how powerful Inquisitive's combo of range + dps really is. Kill counts will confirm it, pulling aggro off anyone in game can confirm it, skilled players in hardest difficulties playing or playing with someone in their group as an inquisitive can confirm it. The sheer number of Inquisitive builds per server can confirm it. There is a ton of data out already. Steel is lying to us.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Steelstar is the same dipshit that said Henshin quarterstaff monks were a top 7 DPS build when Ravenloft was current.

If any of the completely unrealistic shit he says after that surprises you, you haven't been paying attention for the past year or two.

I mean really, I can't think of a more thorough way to take the bridge of your DDO build credibility and burn it to complete ash than to claim that Henshin quarterstaff monks were a top 7 DPS build during the heyday of TWF assassins, tempest rangers, and wolf maul builds.  He took that bridge, soaked it in gasoline, stacked pallets of C4 and thermite on it and topped it off with barrels of napalm, then lit it on fire.

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2019 at 10:16pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Honestly I don't think SSG balances for top tier players.  Given all of the stacking DPS multipliers in the game, I don't think they can.  The differences between a "standard" build, a good build, and an optimized build are enormous.  People post their X second kobold kill up on YouTube, the fourms go ballistic, and if pretty much anyone on the fourms were to try to replicate that performance, they wouldn't come close.

I really don't care of ranged DPS is actually allowed to do...DPS.  I really don't care if, at the bleeding edge of performance, a particular DPS build is significantly better than others, even if it's ranged.  In that middle tier of players who have played for a while, who have worked on their builds and gear, but who aren't twitching, popping short term buffs constantly, swapping weapons, etc, it's important to have balance.  The bleeding edge players will constantly find broken builds.  Chasing that will just damage the majority of players.  (Like nerfing monk in a way that lowered heroic damage, or nerfing wolf builds in a way that lowered heroic damage...all because the high performers had to post their videos).

This is a leveling / grinding game.  Give us more builds that are fun to grind with and stop nerfing builds in a such a way as to make them less enjoyable to grind with.  I don't care if a top tier guild runs 11 inquis and a tank in their reaper raids.  There should be viable, functional, and enjoyable builds for multiple playstyles.  Melee is a playstyle, ranged is a playstyle, CC is one, Burst casting is one, make them all good at their jobs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint