Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Devs head up his own arse (Read 12728 times)
Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Devs head up his own arse
Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 11:21pm:
Honestly I don't think SSG balances for top tier players. 

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 9:38pm:
Steelstar is the same dipshit that said Henshin quarterstaff monks were a top 7 DPS build when Ravenloft was current.

I rest my case. Ty digi

Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:35am
Print Post  
My shit tier shadowdancer non-optimal gear with only 3 rogue levels just did 20k dps on a bruntsmash... ...and I wasn't using archer's focus. If you factor that in with my ranged power, that's about 25k dps. I'm only at 100 doubleshot. (You can get higher). I'm missing an ass ton of SA. I mean... ...my build is the realistic garbage that someone might be running. That's without vulnerability or dust or melt.

My sorc does sustained 20k dps (ranged). See I'm happy about this because I've invested an ass-ton of time into the gear. This is without ash or vuln. Thankfully you faggot Inquis have Ash on your xbow for god knows why. Some asshole should be running vuln on a boss too. So that puts me up to like 30k dps.

I know that inquis can hit 50k dps burst and probably 30k sustained. It's fucking stupid.

Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:36am
Print Post  
on your RAID xbow*

Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #29 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
This post is how you know someone is good at MMOing. Then you can group with him on live so he can also confirm it for you there.

You and Beer are talking about where you place value and how you determine which builds are the most powerful.  And I agree with you.  I value builds for how they perform in end game high difficulty raiding.   I don't see much point in building for anything else.

In my experience, however, SSG developers assign value differently.    

IP Logged

the_biggest_dog
Waterworks Kobold

fuck

Reply #30 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 10:45am
Print Post  
My 2cp, wall of text inc.

Being pissed off about the balance is a completely valid reaction. But to get things changed and improved for the health of the game, it’s definitely not the right way to go about doing things. Devs see another pissed off player cussing them out/asking extremely leading questions and they’re going to completely dismiss it. But if a clear cut and SPECIFIC list consisting of “here are the current issues with inq in the eyes of the player base, and here are targeted solutions for each one” is shown to them, we may have a better chance at getting a genuine response/discussion going. No, we shouldn’t have to do their job for them; but if it’s what’s going to improve the game and keep it healthy for years to come, fuck it I’m in. It’s better than being salty 24/7 and creating an even BIGGER divide between the devs and the player base. Ambushing the devs in the discord does not get a response; just makes them shut down and ignore everything else you said, even the valid points.

My inq list, compiled from complaints I’ve seen and my own personal experience.

ISSUE #1 Overperforming sustained DPS.
Potential causes- Disproportional doubleshot. Bloated damage dice on law, sneak attack.
Potential solutions-Reduce doubleshot to 1/2.. Reduce law dice to 100% RP scaling. Reduce RANGED sneak attack bonus scaling to 100% RP instead of 150%.
Explanation- 1/2 doubleshot follows the same model as with repeaters. Law scaling does not make sense at 14(?)d8 200% ranged power. Reducing ranged sneak attack returns some incentive to melee, while reducing overall inq dps.

ISSUE #2No hit to survivability.
Potential causes-Kiting, unlimited range, high move speed.
Potential solutions-No Holds Barred applies a 25-50% reduction in move speed. Ranged damage limited to same range as enlarged spells. Reduction in move speed while firing.
Explanation-Flying around kiting like you’re in the god damn matrix with double uzis is a) extremely annoying for everyone else in the group b) busted, allowing for max DPS without taking damage. Forcing them to slow down while on max DPS could help reduce the disparity between melee dps/survivability ratio and ranged dps/survivability ratio. As to the max range; go into r10 subversion with an inq, kill the boss from the hallway without taking any damage. Makes no sense, it’s a crossbow not a god damn Barrett 50cal. Move speed reduction while shooting would help reduce kiting, makes shot on the run useful, and fits lore wise with stand and deliver/archers focus. Casters slow down while they cast, same should go for ranged.

Obviously applying every single one of these nerfs would probably be a bit overkill; but providing options allows them to consider what may be easiest to code and incorporate.

I’ll update this list more, but it’s a start.

TL;DR Fucking read it

Rubbinns wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:26pm:
pretty dope shit. congratz. i take it back.

al ca mist

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 9:27am:
You and Beer are talking about where you place value and how you determine which builds are the most powerful.  And I agree with you.  I value builds for how they perform in end game high difficulty raiding.   I don't see much point in building for anything else.

Imagine nerfing VKF throwers for having too much dps. Then you turn around and release this. And then tell people that it has the same dps as a mechanic with a great xbow. And that this is where they want it to be after spending a hundred hours on balance. You wouldn't think anything odd that a VKF thrower got nerfed for having the same sustained dps that an Inquisitive has?

Inquisitive right now has more sustained and burst dps than regular throwers. I don't think a Thrower can sub 9 seconds a 500k hp dummy in Shadowdancer. Maybe I am wrong and a thrower has done this in SD? Mork or Shav could probably test next lama. I know I have multiple screenshots of Vincio doing this exact thing. And he was not using any twists, feats, swaps, or gear that he does not use on live right now.

So IDK what they balance for, but it isn't for balance purposes. Steelstar is either too dumb or a liar. I like to think he is both a dumb liar.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  

I agree.  The devs aren't balancing the game for people who think 100 doubleshot on a crossbow build is shit gear.  And that's fine, as long as they're consistent with where the game balance lies.  DDO is a grinding game.  Past lives are where the vast majority of replay ability lies.   End game builds with perfect gear-tetris and ash/dust/vuln proc swaps don't matter much when most of your time is spent 1-20 or 15-29.

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 10:50am:
Imagine nerfing VKF throwers for having too much dps. Then you turn around and release this. And then tell people that it has the same dps as a mechanic with a great xbow. And that this is where they want it to be after spending a hundred hours on balance. You wouldn't think anything odd that a VKF thrower got nerfed for having the same sustained dps that an Inquisitive has?

Inquisitive right now has more sustained and burst dps than regular throwers. I don't think a Thrower can sub 9 seconds a 500k hp dummy in Shadowdancer. Maybe I am wrong and a thrower has done this in SD? Mork or Shav could probably test next lama. I know I have multiple screenshots of Vincio doing this exact thing. And he was not using any twists, feats, swaps, or gear that he does not use on live right now.

So IDK what they balance for, but it isn't for balance purposes. Steelstar is either too dumb or a liar. I like to think he is both a dumb liar.

I think you have a very valid point, and it's what is upsetting me about the nerf talk of the last couple years.  It seems SSG is split brained.  They release things that are obviously better than "baseline", and then they nerf them over a year  later  because why?  They're better than baseline?

Why the fuck do you nerf monks and dog druids while in the same year increasing Sorc DPS, releasing Inquis, jacking up spell crit damage and ranged power in ED cores, and reducing ranged/spell penalties in reaper?

I'm not even bringing up their change one day to just suddenly allow negative PRR/MRR.  Did they not think there would be balance implications to allowing PRR/MRR to go negative?  How much DPS does that dust/ooze proc add to a build, and is it appropriate?  What would end game DPS look like if all bosses had 50 PRR and 50 MRR so they couldn't be taken negative?

And beyond all of the "dog druids are too good" and "sorcs are too good" and "inquis is better than anything" discussions, the largest imbalance in the game is a character who is level 27 vs a character who is level 29.  Level 29 is like playing a completely different game.

If this dev crew wants to have any kind of shot at achieving any kind of sense in their game, they'll balance the game across all of their difficulty levels (including reaper), set caps (soft or hard) on all DPS multipliers (to combat the extreme power bloat), target casuals at the hard-r1 range, regular players at elite-r3, veteran players at r3-r6, and let the ubers play in r8-r10. 

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #34 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
the_biggest_dog wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 10:45am:

Being pissed off about the balance is a completely valid reaction. But to get things changed and improved for the health of the game, it’s definitely not the right way to go about doing things. Devs see another pissed off player cussing them out/asking extremely leading questions and they’re going to completely dismiss it. But if a clear cut and SPECIFIC list consisting of “here are the current issues with inq in the eyes of the player base, and here are targeted solutions for each one” is shown to them, we may have a better chance at getting a genuine response/discussion going. No, we shouldn’t have to do their job for them; but if it’s what’s going to improve the game and keep it healthy for years to come, fuck it I’m in. It’s better than being salty 24/7 and creating an even BIGGER divide between the devs and the player base. Ambushing the devs in the discord does not get a response; just makes them shut down and ignore everything else you said, even the valid points.

My inq list, compiled from complaints I’ve seen and my own personal experience.

ISSUE #1 Overperforming sustained DPS.
Potential causes- Disproportional doubleshot. Bloated damage dice on law, sneak attack.
Potential solutions-Reduce doubleshot to 1/2.. Reduce law dice to 100% RP scaling. Reduce RANGED sneak attack bonus scaling to 100% RP instead of 150%.
Explanation- 1/2 doubleshot follows the same model as with repeaters. Law scaling does not make sense at 14(?)d8 200% ranged power. Reducing ranged sneak attack returns some incentive to melee, while reducing overall inq dps.

Potential causes-Kiting, unlimited range, high move speed.
Potential solutions-No Holds Barred applies a 25-50% reduction in move speed. Ranged damage limited to same range as enlarged spells. Reduction in move speed while firing.
Explanation-Flying around kiting like you’re in the god damn matrix with double uzis is a) extremely annoying for everyone else in the group b) busted, allowing for max DPS without taking damage. Forcing them to slow down while on max DPS could help reduce the disparity between melee dps/survivability ratio and ranged dps/survivability ratio. As to the max range; go into r10 subversion with an inq, kill the boss from the hallway without taking any damage. Makes no sense, it’s a crossbow not a god damn Barrett 50cal. Move speed reduction while shooting would help reduce kiting, makes shot on the run useful, and fits lore wise with stand and deliver/archers focus. Casters slow down while they cast, same should go for ranged.

Obviously applying every single one of these nerfs would probably be a bit overkill; but providing options allows them to consider what may be easiest to code and incorporate.

I’ll update this list more, but it’s a start.

TL;DR Fucking read it

Ya I agree with all these things

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  

DDO is perfectly balanced for the cosmetics they sell.  What else matters?

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:35pm
Print Post  

Beer wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
In a VERY HARD raid/dungeon a tank is intimidating so you are hitting the boss EXACTLY THE SAME AS A KOBOLD.

Either things are being tanked/CCd so you are hitting them exactly the same as a kobold, or they aren't. Get it straight people.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:36pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #37 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
HelloKitty wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:35pm:
Either things are being tanked/CCd so you are hitting them exactly the same as a kobold, or they aren't. Get it straight people.

Right after you learn how to read moron. Jesus fucking christ. But neither is gonna happen because you're a fucking retard, and the facts are the facts.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:40pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
Right after you learn how to read moron. Jesus fucking christ. But neither is gonna happen because you're a fucking retard, and the facts are the facts.

He is apparently too fucking stupid to play MMOs. He would like to think that when something is being tanked then you cannot leverage your full dps on it. Or that when something is being kited that you cannot still deal abundant dps. He also doesn't understand the difference between trash mob encounters, initiating encounters, and boss, or raid boss encounters.

Go hang out with Chai and Yammani, I don't have time to train you currently.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #39 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
~~

Agree, but I think a few things should be done differently.

AFAIK Inquisitive style is not subject to off-hand DS penalties. 100 DS effectively equals 200%, whereas a rogue or tempest would only be able to get 25-40% offhand DS for ~120-140% effective DS.

Inquisitive secondary crossbow attacks should be subject to offhand DS penalties that every other twf build is subject to.

Law damage should be reduced to 1d4 (with upgrade to 1d6) and scale with at most 150%. Preferably 100% MP.

I like the ipa idea.

PN should be deleted and reconfigured to be less range friendly.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #40 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Also while I think 96 and 94% dmg debuff was to much in r10, 85% is way to little. The devs should go to 10% per skull, capping at 90% reduced damage at r10.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #41 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Do I have this right? I'm honestly not sure if I'm giving them too much credit. Monkeys and typewriters after all. Here's my SSG's master plan infowars take.

Release OP thing behind paywall. Warlock springs to mind from the past and Inquisitor is giving me flashbacks.

Wait a while.

The general population buys it, likes it, manages to complete content that was otherwise out of their reach.

Sales drop off.

Say that certain min/max gamebreakers who don't play the game the way the rest of the masses do are using it to produce things that were unintended. It's not SSG's fault, their data showed it was fine. But some power gamers have to go and break the nice things they made so:

Nerf across the board.

Deflect customer anger by pointing back at a segment of their own population. "Don't blame us, we think the game should be played like you do. But some people's toons..."

The message becomes that not only should you the customer, in the future, buy the OP thing behind the paywall, you should do it while it's still at the inflated price because the nerf will come shortly after price reduction.

If I believe this is true and intentional it actually raises my opinion of SSG's intelligence, while lowering even further my opinion of their collective character.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
You really think SSG is going to murder their newborn any time soon?  Wolves were overperforming for more than a year.

Get your raid ranged gear and have fun until Sharn's first anniversary.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #43 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
They could just neuter the negative PRR/MRR/Vulnerability stacking speed used to produce the numbers by players that are weapon swapping.

1 stack of debuff per 3 seconds per source, as per original vulnerability.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:15pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
HelloKitty wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:11pm:
They could just neuter the negative PRR/MRR/Vulnerability stacking speed used to produce the numbers by players that are weapon swapping.

Shut your whore mouth.

IP Logged

the_biggest_dog
Waterworks Kobold

fuck

Reply #46 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
HelloKitty wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:11pm:

I make all those nice suggestions and you’re just gonna take a nasty post-subway-Indian-food shit in the thread like this? Come on man, I know it’s a cesspool, but come on.

Rubbinns wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:26pm:
pretty dope shit. congratz. i take it back.

al ca mist

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:27pm:

Release OP thing behind paywall. Warlock springs to mind from the past and Inquisitor is giving me flashbacks.

Wait a while.

Sales drop off.

Nerf across the board.

I have edited Gibbon's post for effect and this method is very similar to the way I have seen a lot of mobile games are run.

These seem to me to be blatant revenue generation techniques looking to inflate P2W habits.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #48 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:19am:
I think you have a very valid point, and it's what is upsetting me about the nerf talk of the last couple years.  It seems SSG is split brained.  They release things that are obviously better than "baseline", and then they nerf them over a year  later  because why?  They're better than baseline?

Why the fuck do you nerf monks and dog druids while in the same year increasing Sorc DPS, releasing Inquis, jacking up spell crit damage and ranged power in ED cores, and reducing ranged/spell penalties in reaper?

I'm not even bringing up their change one day to just suddenly allow negative PRR/MRR.  Did they not think there would be balance implications to allowing PRR/MRR to go negative?  How much DPS does that dust/ooze proc add to a build, and is it appropriate?  What would end game DPS look like if all bosses had 50 PRR and 50 MRR so they couldn't be taken negative?

And beyond all of the "dog druids are too good" and "sorcs are too good" and "inquis is better than anything" discussions, the largest imbalance in the game is a character who is level 27 vs a character who is level 29.  Level 29 is like playing a completely different game.

If this dev crew wants to have any kind of shot at achieving any kind of sense in their game, they'll balance the game across all of their difficulty levels (including reaper), set caps (soft or hard) on all DPS multipliers (to combat the extreme power bloat), target casuals at the hard-r1 range, regular players at elite-r3, veteran players at r3-r6, and let the ubers play in r8-r10. 

SSG is not trying to balance DPS, difficulty levels or play styles. They want to push sales of new content. The only balance when to nerf old content in favor of new to maximize revenue.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
the_biggest_dog wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 5:31pm:
I make all those nice suggestions and you’re just gonna take a nasty post-subway-Indian-food shit in the thread like this? Come on man, I know it’s a cesspool, but come on.

You guys were the ones that said that the kobold beatdown represented real gameplay and should be taken seriously.

If I take the kobold beatdown's seriously, then after looking at it I see that if they reverted back to 3 second cooldown per stack of debuff (prr/mrr/vulnerability) as per original balance of vulnerability then that would properly balance inquisitor. It would remain a safer gameplay, with the appropriate dps for that gameplay.

Now you don't want me to take the kobold beatdown seriously?

Besides, let's be honest, ranged needs to remain safer for weaker players to have a spot to fit in groups. Once you eliminate the obvious solution "make the game harder for ranged" then what is left is to nerf the kobold beatdown. And, when you really look at it, you can wreck that kobold beatdown with a simple already implemented for normal vulnerability ICD, while having minimal or even no effect at all on non-raid geared weaker players.

Just swap the code over to a few other debuffs and you are done neutering the most OP Inquisitor gameplay in 30 minutes AND provide better TWF vs. THF balance at the same time.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2019 at 6:48pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint