Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What to make of platinum and astral shards. (Read 3864 times)
Artorias
Shroud Slacker

What to make of platinum and astral shards.
Oct 3rd, 2019 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
As per title, I've recently maxed the platinum cap like 3 times in a week after spending between 100K and 500K each time. I'm not going to say platinum is easy to acquire but, well, it's easy to acquire so I was wondering how you people use it and how to best "invest" it. I'm looking for good ideas that do not include stupid nonsense just to get rid of it.

Personally I search the AH for:

- Fire Shield potions (both types)
- Potions of protection against evil (just chug it without even bothering to take a scroll avoiding dead times for animations and such)
- High caster level haste potions (the basic stuff gives like 30 seconds?)
- Collectibles. usually I go for the rare ones unless there is nothing else to buy and I really need to lose some plat
- Filigrees. The rare ones possibly but I don't dislike normal ones if they are actually useful

Stuff I consider unworthy are the tomes as I only see ability ones for +1 or from +1 to +2 and they go for 2 millions, very low tier skill tomes and cannith essences.

Astral shards are a completely different case as their are the premium currency. I'm not asking how you people farm it (or maybe you buy it?) by selling items as, I'm sure, you want to keep some "shenanigans" for yourself (can't blame you if you do it, I'd probably do the same) but how do you use it? What do you consider worthy of using AS for?

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Re: What to make of platinum and astral shards.
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Mail 100,000 to random folks you meet in Korthos. Include the text:

"Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this platinum as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Small and medium eberron dragonshards. 3 of either gets you an xp potion.

Those and collectibles I needed for crafting (or was low on and used a lot of) were about all I spent plat on.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Buying reaper wings and eyes every life burns my plat.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Oct 3rd, 2019 at 1:48pm:
Small and medium eberron dragonshards. 3 of either gets you an xp potion.

Those and collectibles I needed for crafting (or was low on and used a lot of) were about all I spent plat on.

I use the medium shards to make the trinket with 20 major mana potions built in  Wink

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Oct 3rd, 2019 at 2:01pm:
Buying reaper wings and eyes every life burns my plat.

Why the fuck would you even bother with those?  You never hit me as a 12 year old girl.

Here's hoping they make some reaper ribbons you can put in your hair.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Oct 3rd, 2019 at 5:00pm:
Why the fuck would you even bother with those?  You never hit me as a 12 year old girl.

Here's hoping they make some reaper ribbons you can put in your hair.

Why not? what else is there to spend plat on that matters one little bit of a fuck? oh nothing.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Usually don't even loot random crap.
Plat spent on usual Yugo pots, Hjeal, Resurrect and Tenser scrolls.
Radiant force pots or DD scrolls if I remember.
That's about it. They killed trading long time ago.

Also, someone please tell Shoemaker to stop CONSTANTLY fucking with quests lists on wiki.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2019 at 8:21am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Sometimes, I'll look on the AH for metal type weapons that have an augment slot and buy them for plat and put them on on the ASAH.

I've turned a few of those into actual AS.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I don't use either much any more.  I use AS for chest rerolls and inventory space if I can't be assed to get a portable hole off a mule.

I will occasionally throw something I don't need on the shard AH to get some shards if I'm running low from the chest rerolls.  Usually ingredients or collectibles or filigrees sell decently well.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Reset enhancement trees when experimenting with builds or while leveling and your plat reserves will quickly vanish.

I use astral shards for chest rerolls since there's nothing worth a damn on Orien's ASAH.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I think plat has always had a 'usefulness' issue. During the 2009-2012 era people charged too much plat for items that it wasn't realistic to buy them. Simply buying two large devil scales or an SoS scroll would bankrupt you. That's why Large Devil Scales, Flawless Red Dragon Scales, and Epic Scolls became the real currency.

You would instead use plat to buy Heal/Rez scrolls, yugo/guild pots, repairs, feat/enhancement changes. I think that holds true to today. Much more respecs occur these days plus those with Reaper items having to buy them every life. Essentially plat seems to be even more irrelevant. When I'm bored I sometimes just give out a bunch to new players.

Regarding Shards. Turbine/SSG killed the shard economy off by making everything BTA. Duping didnt help much either. The best way to spend them is chest re-rolls. This can save you considerable time farming quests as the re-rolls don't count towards ransack. Getting instant teleports to quests in explorer areas. Using daily dice xp to finish off a level when you're sick of questing in that level range. Using them to get your items instantly repaired in a quest can be handy at times. Buying collectibles for Cannith Crafting can save a lot of time too.      

Chasing gold roll items is a massive waste of shards. The rewards you get per shard put in is laughable. Best spent elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:27pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
I think plat has always had a 'usefulness' issue. During the 2009-2012 era people charged too much plat for items that it wasn't realistic to buy them. Simply buying two large devil scales or an SoS scroll would bankrupt you. 

The plat cap was a big part of the problem.   It didn't allow for things of higher value to be traded using plat as an easy medium.   It required bartering, which is always less efficient and eliminates the AH as a transfer mechanism.  The asynchronous nature of the AH encourages trade.  The low plat cap made it useless for anything but convenience purchases.

Had they added a few bits to their plat storage area, then that problem wouldn't have existed.   You could argue it would have made the economy even more fucked during dupapoolza or the Cove wand exploit.   But the reality is that people just filled the plat caps on dozens of alts.   I'm not sure that one character with a 50 million plat cap would have been any more problematic than 20 characters with 4 mill plat on them.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:25pm:
The plat cap was a big part of the problem.  It didn't allow for things of higher value to be traded using plat as an easy medium. 

Agreed. It was a way to hedge against gold farmers/duping but as you mentioned easy ways to circumvent it. All while destroying any chance of Plat being the main trading currency.

Lets not forget about limiting mailing plat to 9999 because "gold farmers". The only option you had to send plat to an alt. Then once Turbine finally released plat banking you had to fucking buy it with real money.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Regarding Shards. Turbine/SSG killed the shard economy off by making everything BTA.

Pretty much this. The only things I regularly search for on the ASAH are skill upgrade tomes, rare filigree, and the occasional Deconstructor aug for a new weapon.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 8:41am
Print Post  
I think plat has always had a 'usefulness' issue. During the 2009-2012 era people charged too much plat for items that it wasn't realistic to buy them. Simply buying two large devil scales or an SoS scroll would bankrupt you. That's why Large Devil Scales, Flawless Red Dragon Scales, and Epic Scolls became the real currency.

You would instead use plat to buy Heal/Rez scrolls, yugo/guild pots, repairs, feat/enhancement changes. I think that holds true to today. Much more respecs occur these days plus those with Reaper items having to buy them every life. Essentially plat seems to be even more irrelevant. When I'm bored I sometimes just give out a bunch to new players.

Regarding Shards. Turbine/SSG killed the shard economy off by making everything BTA. Duping didnt help much either. The best way to spend them is chest re-rolls. This can save you considerable time farming quests as the re-rolls don't count towards ransack. Getting instant teleports to quests in explorer areas. Using daily dice xp to finish off a level when you're sick of questing in that level range. Using them to get your items instantly repaired in a quest can be handy at times. Buying collectibles for Cannith Crafting can save a lot of time too.      

Chasing gold roll items is a massive waste of shards. The rewards you get per shard put in is laughable. Best spent elsewhere.

Flawless analysis, feel free to drop the mic and walk off stage.

I discovered I'm an idiot since I have some AS left and it NEVER occurred to me I could use it to re-roll chests (always been an hardcore farmer of sorts). As a matter of fact I even managed to sell a few things in the ASAH recently. Seeing how my long departure from the game left me quite a little gear lacking, I think it's time to put those shards to good use.

Regarding the shard roll, bleahhh. Only rolled it twice and figured it's a complete, massive waste of shards unless you use the free one if you're VIP.

So I might already be doing everything properly? What else is left to buy with plat that is not a cosmetic sink?
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 8:41am by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Potions of wonder

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I've given pay raises to my inky ho bitches

I buy tomes sell them discount to guildies.

med ebs worth fortune... gl finding them

umm- idk - I spend plat fast but always like 2.3 mil on me or some mule for some sale special....

As for astrals dont go there - its dirtywickedshit

yeah i blow them too but have good income

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint