Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO is dying, for real this time. (Read 20087 times)
WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

DDO is dying, for real this time.
Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Evidence number 1:
Since hardcore came out the server populations all went down, but now that hardcore is closing the populations aren't back up again... ...we're still hanging at about half of what we were when hardcore came out.

Evidence number 2:
We've gone from a weekly restart, to a bi-weekly restart---even though the server populations are smaller.

Evidence number 3:
Reaper has run its course and many people are bored with the current meta. This is subjective, but personally all the content is now so stale I'm not sure I can level to 30 again. The dead end which is reaper XP is keeping some people going, but it has really ruined the challenge of reapers. The meta has been solved for too long and the recent addition of new reapers didn't revitalize the endgame.

Evidence number 4:
Soul shitter is the worst pack in years. That laggy piece of uninspired garbage makes epic Amarath look good.

Evidence number 5:
The developers are accelerating the number of past lives available to people but everyone seems less and less motivated to give a fuck about all the new past lives. I think we've finally saturated this shit-hole of a system. It was great for a long time but how many times do you really wanna run Shadowcrypt? This is another subjective point...

~

The bottomless money pit of endless TR cycles with a trickle of content is drying up. The (honestly) hackneyed band-aids of champions and reaper difficulty have run their course to keep people amused with ancient fucking content. The servers are running like more garbage than 4 years ago, and communities in game are collapsing the server populations under the weight of boredom.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:24pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Druidica
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO is dying, for real this time.
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Although i found the tr-sysem ok in heroics, i loathed doing epic lives, yet i pushed through, resulting in 3 uber completionists, the thing was, i had people to run with, making it bearable and the builds i enjoyed were usefull, most of the time.

Once those 2 reasons were gone, so was my motivation to join the sort of endgame of tr-ing and running elite& reaper.

Quiting ddo was the best thing i did in a long time, more time for family, friends, sports and "other activities"

Just do yourself the favor, take a few months of from ddo, its just a mismannaged piece of garbage at this point.

If you ever met a girl you had the hots for 20 years ago and found out she became a crack whore, teeth have fallen out, her skin all messed up, her behaviour focussed on gaining a quick buck, no longer caring about you but just your wallet, are you gone rant on a forum about her pimp letting her slide down to this level?
Just shrug it of, sure it hurts seeing something you cared about in this terrible state but in this point in time, nothing you say will convince her or her pimp to change their ways, they are used to hand outs to get them through the day by this point

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 4:18am
Print Post  
The biggest issue honestly is Sharn.

Sharn was proof that DDO shouldn't be in the business of yearly expansions.

Ravenloft was great; writing, content, even quality control was above normal for the expansion.

And after? They started off 'decent' with Disciples of Rage. Middling quests; good loot, and a decent Enhancement change with Druids and Renegade for Arti.

Then they hit us with Whiteplume; another classic set of dungeons, a little less polished compared to Ravenloft, but still good quests I don't mind running a handful of times per life. Good loot. But it hid the stinker that was the War Priest/War Soul/FVS Pass.

Next we had Killing Time and Wood Elves. The loot was good on it's own, but it went back and included upgrades for Whiteplume and even older less ran content so that's a win-win. Kind of a filler update but still decent quality.

So we've got 3 solid upgrades in 'year' after Ravenloft released. However; after that the dev cycle has gone downhill in both quality and design.

We've got U41 at just about the 1 year mark for Ravenloft dropping the bombshell that was the dud of an Eldritch Knight revamp. 3 whole new spells for Wiz/Sorc. Endgame Raid Loot level/stat crunch-adjustment (Only positive thing in this update.) and the bard song rework, which still has kinks that haven't been worked out.

Fast forward a whole 5 months and we've got Sharn arriving with all of the glory of a polished turd. Awful writing, terrible gameplay design, and performance drops in both quests and raids alike. We also got warlock level memery in the form of the Tiefling yet somehow the blowback and awareness levels for that one hasn't really caught on. 3 months later we got a patch that gave us a much needed but still questionably effective Epic Destiny pass. Oh and at some point Palemaster got reworked into being some sort of bastardization of homebrew rules out the wazoo. Oh and let's not forget the special mention of inquisitive which completely flipped the meta back in favor of plink-tards running around doing what they do best.

Edit: Don't forget literally every 'release' during Sharn/U42 has been a buggy shitshow. Two official hotfixes and 5 whole large 'patches' during it's lifetime.

U43 as mentioned is a shitshow, consists of 6 quests (2 of which are exceedingly long slog fests while the other 4 are literally 2 second quests), and somehow took 6 months from the release of Sharn to pop into existance. Blame the 5 large patches and hotfixes gluing Sharn together I suppose.

U44 is going to be; get this here. A new alternate starter experience. That isn't free to play. And is aimed at giving Vets a different sandbox to piss around in while they hamster wheel grind. Except the gear isn't worth getting save the busted cloak with level 1 perma featherfall. Oh and for a bit of shinies they're throwing us horses because you need to move faster in public spaces and wildernesses. But no combat. Atleast not a launch, expect mounted combat to cost 2k DDO points in the next 1-3 months depending on how hard they beat the poor engine coder in the back room. Oh and they are doing all of this while milking another classic module to try and get a few bucks out of the dwindling playerbase.

I mean to be fair I suppose the Hardcore server managed to help pad out the massive content drought we've had this year. But honestly I think they'd have been better off focusing on getting Alchemist out of the door within 2019, or better yet having made a class that was requested/desired by the community rather than being Steelstar's newest monstrosity he strokes his ego to ever night.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2019 at 4:23am by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 5:52am
Print Post  
I personally lvl my TR character with daily dice to lvl 3 and start with reaper harbor quests. I don't think that will change since Keep of the Borderlands will be epic, too. I didn't have a look at the epic loot but if it is underwhelming I won't go for Borderlands.
*shrug*

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 7:51am
Print Post  
It is, I’m afraid. But I don’t think it’s as due to content as the OP suggests.

The game is complicated. If you like D&D and want to play an MMO version, it’s still the best iteration that’s ever been available. Its level of customization continues to rival other far more popular (flush) MMOs and game feedback from the melee and casting attacks of my customized character is more responsive to me in DDO than in other games.

The commitment required to be Uber is real. Triple completionist and triple digit RP takes a lot of time and a lot of resources. For most people who are attracted to the unique, positive qualities of DDO, the path to becoming game time superstar is daunting: 10 hours of playtime a week for a year or more and hundreds of dollars.

And that’s just entry level Uber. Want to be as good as the best? Commit 2-4 times those resources.

I think it’s analogous to chess versus checkers. The amount of effort it takes to become an expert DDO player is probably more in line with chess, learning the basics of a more complicated game and then investing in it more than you would otherwise need to in a less complicated game.

This is not to discount the specific, very granular gripes that the OP and others have about the direction that the developers regularly take, but I think the above carries at least as much or more weight than just, “half elves suck.”

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2019 at 8:43am by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:21pm:
Evidence number 1:Since hardcore came out the server populations all went down, but now that hardcore is closing the populations aren't back up again... ...we're still hanging at about half of what we were when hardcore came out.

I've seen LFMs and guildies online trending upward this weekend.

Evidence number 2:We've gone from a weekly restart, to a bi-weekly restart---even though the server populations are smaller.

Supposedly the restarts are a bandaid for the mob pathing issue. If you're going to posit some connection to server population, I'd like to hear your theory.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:33am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:18am:
Supposedly the restarts are a bandaid for the mob pathing issue. If you're going to posit some connection to server population, I'd like to hear your theory.

It's not that there's a connection to server population. It's the fact that the game's lag and the servers' need for active intervention are going up even though the game population (and therefore the demand that's being placed on the servers by players) is going down.  That's a really bad trend.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:33am:
It's not that there's a connection to server population. It's the fact that the game's lag and the servers' need for active intervention are going up even though the game population (and therefore the demand that's being placed on the servers by players) is going down.  That's a really bad trend.

The server resets are not related to lag or population.

Non-Technical analogy:   The clock used to need to be wound once a week to not run slow and now needs to be wound twice a week or it runs slow by a minute per day.   This would be true regardless of how many people are looking at the clock.      

So the point is that the need to reboot twice a week instead of once is a sign of a technical issue that needs resolved but is not related to population or load.  Thus, you can't use it as a sign that the game is dying or being less efficient at handling load/lag.   

HC isn't over yet, so assuming the server is done and the players aren't coming back to live is a bit premature.   Players are returning to live servers, from what I can see.   HC still has 2 more weeks of up time, but as people get to a point where they have accomplished the goals they want and any non-obtained goals are realistically out of reach, they will return to their live servers.   Players who came back just for HC may or may not return to live.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Soul shitter is the worst pack in years. That laggy piece of uninspired garbage makes epic Amarath look good.

Most of this is just normal Tes mumbling idiocy, but soul splitter is a fucking horrible pack.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Evidence number 3:
Reaper has run its course and many people are bored with the current meta. This is subjective, but personally all the content is now so stale I'm not sure I can level to 30 again. The dead end which is reaper XP is keeping some people going, but it has really ruined the challenge of reapers. The meta has been solved for too long and the recent addition of new reapers didn't revitalize the endgame.

DDO has several segments that make up the player population.   Meta gamers make up 5% or less of the population but are the only segment that really care about the meta, PL grinds, or what build is best.   

I do think that the inquis being so OP and quests/raids heavily favoring ranged in current mechanics has made the meta segment more boring, though. 

The meta was in a much better place last year when the best players were spending a lot of time trying to up the R levels on Baba and Strahd and KT.   Not trying to see how much DPS they can squeeze out of Inquis builds and making inquis DPS videos.   Part of that is probably the HC server sapping the players.   The last raid achievement on the forums in from early August.

I'm not too worried that Soul Splitter was not a great pack.  We've had those before.  (Looking at you Dragonborn/RSO)  I though Sharn was OK.  Not great like RL, but not terrible.  As content goes.   I think WPM was fun.   If KoTB is solid fun then people will quickly forget a weak adventure pack.   

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
DDO doesn't have the population to support the hardcore server and live at the same time. I'm looking forward to hardcore going away for a while.  If I'm still playing the next time hardcore league starts, then I'll be taking a break from the game.  The past three months have been miserable slogging through reapers and raids with people who have no fucking clue.  Which leads me into...

Gunga is right.  DDO requires an advanced degree in character creation, with a specialization in gear tetris, and like a professional certification you have to keep earning continuing professional education (CPE) credits to keep up with the meta.  I don't mind that, except for the fact it's a huge barrier for new and casual players.  Want to play a popular combat style like THF or bows, or play an iconic paladin?  Too bad, those are noob traps because Sev has allowed those choices to languish far behind.

Ravenloft is a masterpiece, and SSG would do well to replicate everything about it for the next expansion. The Land of Barovia wilderness is insanely large, thematically well done and immerses you in the story. The art and sound teams outdid themselves with the nuanced details found throughout.  The Strahd raid truly feels epic.

Comparatively, The Masterminds of Sharn quest chain feels small because of the elevator short cuts to each quest, and the lackluster story. It feels rushed because it's lacking the polish that Ravenloft obviously received. Soul Splitter is ass. I can't even stomach to run through it for first time RXP each life. 

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 2:43pm:
DDO doesn't have the population to support the hardcore server and live at the same time. I'm looking forward to hardcore going away for a while.  If I'm still playing the next time hardcore league starts, then I'll be taking a break from the game.  The past three months have been miserable slogging through reapers and raids with people who have no fucking clue.  Which leads me into...

Gunga is right.  DDO requires an advanced degree in character creation, with a specialization in gear tetris, and like a professional certification you have to keep earning continuing professional education (CPE) credits to keep up with the meta.  I don't mind that, except for the fact it's a huge barrier for new and casual players.  Want to play a popular combat style like THF or bows, or play an iconic paladin?  Too bad, those are noob traps because Sev has allowed those choices to languish far behind.

Ravenloft is a masterpiece, and SSG would do well to replicate everything about it for the next expansion. The Land of Barovia wilderness is insanely large, thematically well done and immerses you in the story. The art and sound teams outdid themselves with the nuanced details found throughout.  The Strahd raid truly feels epic.

Comparatively, The Masterminds of Sharn quest chain feels small because of the elevator short cuts to each quest, and the lackluster story. It feels rushed because it's lacking the polish that Ravenloft obviously received. Soul Splitter is ass. I can't even stomach to run through it for first time RXP each life. 

^ All of this save the bit about builds.

Only in the respect that Inquisitor is dummy proof; it truly is an universal tree. As in you can play any class as an inquisitor and contribute; whether you're a brand new first life new player or a first life alt of someone more experienced.

To a lesser extent Vistani also is like that for TWF daggers. SWF and Throwing are still both blegh options, but hey atleast they 'tried' right?

I imagine in the same vein the Alchemist enhancement trees will be 'braindead' in design so that even a moron can make a competent build. Although the news reports seem to indicate the spell casting system is tripping up the gophers on the PC.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
[quote author=476576746B6A61040  The Strahd raid truly feels epic. [/quote]

Yep.

Best raid ever since ToD/Stealer of Souls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:18pm
Print Post  

This.

I wish SSG would bring in more paper modules. They do a really good job when they do, they have a talent in translating how something from pnp should be in game. I can only wonder why the game is not full of modules. The supply seems inexhaustible. If they held kickstarters for modules, I would donate every single time.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:18pm:
This.

I wish SSG would bring in more paper modules. They do a really good job when they do, they have a talent in translating how something from pnp should be in game. I can only wonder why the game is not full of modules. The supply seems inexhaustible. If they held kickstarters for modules, I would donate every single time.

I'd put about a 90% estimate on the blame being Wizards of the Coast there and not actually SSG for once.

It's even more unlikely they'll get to adapt a lot of of things now that Wizards of the Coast has their own game studio they bought out. As they'll be throwing the most nostalgic/profitable modules to their own team rather than giving it to DDO. Instead we've got to wait for the next cross-promotional just like Neverwinter has to do now that they aren't top dog anymore on Wizard's totem pole.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Gunga is right.

No, you.

I liked WPM, RL, Rage, KT and Sharn. All great content for me, one of my favorite quests of all time is Toxic Treatment R10. I'd love more modules like Rubbers said, and I would also pay in.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

mog
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 3:06am
Print Post  
That game was on the way to die but had the opportunity to save it, when released ravenloft had success, success that not even developers was ready to believe,then had the population groing up again after years but had the idea to ban and delete toons of players that was on the game for years and was not there only for ravenloft,so the population never hit a good number and devs never took the deleted toons decision back
After that? nothing nice like ravenloft to show till today,have no plan to give a real end game,even the items you need  like a player after 10 runs with friends is yours so players have nothing to do not even grid epic quests for loot,its also bound to account so no reason to grid with plan to sell later if you already have them,so you must tr again with out reason if you are completionist and run again water works for 12 years in a row just to convince youe self that you have something to do in your favourite game
With all this and more like infinity bugs on items and enchantments, lag spikes, performance hit, bad engine with prehistoric graphics, expansions that is really a joke for the money they asked and the size of the expansions, in 3 hours you have done with the expansions and after some runs you have done with the items so the expansions and quest packages is good to repeat only for xp but what if you have done with the xp you need and you just want end game and not a super triple completionist toon?no luck there,the game is designed only to grind xp,no items no pvp no content
Forgot the unlimited dupe and cheat methods that is useless to fix Grin
So with all this new players does not stay old players goes away and baned players never took their toons back to return and as for the players who still login?1 by 1 will drop,so for me its normal to say ddo live in his last days
And i m not sad,this game has nothing more to give,i just hope for ddo 2 but propably will never come

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Ash's spirit animal is Thrudh. Roflmao!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 3:45am:
Ash's spirit animal is Thrudh. Roflmao!

Yours is Lokeal_the_flame.   Go bat your eyes a squirrel in your backyard.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:54pm:
No, you.

I liked WPM, RL, Rage, KT and Sharn. All great content for me, one of my favorite quests of all time is Toxic Treatment R10. I'd love more modules like Rubbers said, and I would also pay in.

Do you like the Saving Dorris pack?

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:41am:
Do you like the Saving Dorris pack?

I’ve only run three of the quests once each, finding Doris twice for boots. They aren’t my favorite quests, but I’ll wind up running them more in time.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 6:16am:
Yours is Lokeal_the_flame.   Go bat your eyes a squirrel in your backyard. 

Joke's on you. I don't even know who that is xD

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Ash's the type of guy who would complain that the water is too cold while being boiled alive in a cauldron.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:08am:
Ash's the type of guy who would complain that the water is too cold while being boiled alive in a cauldron.

Alex is the type of guy who says things just because everyone else is, even though he doesn't understand the discussion.

https://i.gifer.com/Zmy.gif

Yup.  That's him. 

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:44am:
Alex is the type of guy who says things just because everyone else is, even though he doesn't understand the discussion.

https://i.gifer.com/Zmy.gif

Yup.  That's him. 

Huh? Who am I repeating exactly?

You're literally the only person on the Vault who is the most content with the shit smear that this game has become.

Plus, you throw around numbers like you have the most authority on the subject matter (one of the "rockstars").

That or you're just full of shit. It would explain all the dumb coming out of your mouth tho.

You sure you're not employed at Still Shitty Games?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint