Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO is dying, for real this time. (Read 20130 times)
Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Re: DDO is dying, for real this time.
Reply #100 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:13pm:
Im posting this here for those who may not have seen it on page 3. You're welcome to critique or add things. Whether that be issues from the past or present that have plagued DDO and its player base.

The downfall of DDO (maybe)
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is mostly fixed now due to a much smaller player base. However, old 'Input' lag issues remain with actions like drinking pots and casting spells making the game feel clunky and unresponsive.
  • Old, Niche, and somewhat complicated: Dated graphics, clunky, and complicated. Huge barrier of entry for new players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example 
  • The Winchester Mansionification: Game systems built upon game systems built upon game systems. I could not imagine being a new player or even a returning player. The amount of grind needed to catch up is insane. Also the feeling of incompetence whilst doing the grind would tilt most people. Hitting like a wet noodle while watching veterans kill everything with ease.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Now DDO is just a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a "authentic" DnD experience will be largely disappointed. Heres an example
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Chest re-rolls are most likely balanced simply by reducing base drop rates. However, initially releasing +3 tomes in the store (and higher tiers thereafter) killed off many of the older raids which were ran for the tomes in the 20th lists. Raid Timer Bypasses quickly killed off what little new content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: MotU expansion and after killed off the majority of endgame players. Removing years of endgame content due to the level increase. Complete lack of new endgame content and constant power creep. The true endgame were Epic Pastlives and Epic Destinies. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans getting shorter. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Separating the player base between 20 heroic and 10 epic levels. As well as more than a decade of content and paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect im sure.
  • Removal of the 'Holy Trinity': This probably saved the game in the long run but I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing purely on dps or healing. Definitely a culture shock for players after MotU release (Epic Destinies). Most probably quit shortly after, especially healers.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: Probably a coding issue. As meshing each cosmetics to every race must take forever. At least thats what I think the reason is for failing miserably at this. A F2P mmo without good cosmetics? Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. As the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed but im sure this has an affect on how many quests/raids are ran.
  • Bugs: The buggiest MMO I've ever played. Leaving DDO to play other MMOs left me with anxiety as I would question if abilities and items were working as intended (legit).

This is the highlight of this thread.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #101 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:18pm:
I'm perfectly willing to accept that you and I have different perceptions of lag

Well, we agree on something.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #102 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:32am:
Obviously.

Wink

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

tonioss22
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I agree that the population of the game is quite low but comparing to other mmorpgs https://imgur.com/a/E1FFoUx

as you can see here, we are still not bad comparing to others and Hardcore seems to have boosted up the population a bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint