Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO is dying, for real this time. (Read 20133 times)
Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Re: DDO is dying, for real this time.
Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:22am:
Huh? Who am I repeating exactly?

You're literally the only person on the Vault who is the most content with the shit smear that this game has become.

Plus, you throw around numbers like you have the most authority on the subject matter (one of the "rockstars").

That or you're just full of shit. It would explain all the dumb coming out of your mouth tho.

You sure you're not employed at Still Shitty Games?  Roll Eyes

He's one of two. I like the game.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 12:50pm:

nah 3, I like it. It's old, like my guildies who still play. If I could get those crotchety sons of bitches to go somewhere else and stay I would. Change is hard when your old Sad afk grabbing an Ensure.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 1:38pm:
If I could get those crotchety sons of bitches to go somewhere else and stay I would. Change is hard when your old Sad afk grabbing an Ensure.

Git off mah lawn!

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #28 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Alive, dead, undead. Doesn't matter much to me what state it's in. I'm still having fun for now. When that is over I'll just leave.

Heck, all the years I played Ragnarok Online the same kind of threads were posted there on a regular basis. Still thoroughly enjoyed my time playing a dead game.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 12:50pm:

DDO is my favorite first person shooter.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Well, something does need to be done.  More RL quality content is a big part of it, but server population is a problem.  My guess is, if the character transfers from HC back to home goes well, we will see a server merge of some type via a one time enhanced free transfer system.  If the transfers from HC has a lot of problems, then any kind of merge will be set back.  The risk to SSG of screwing up a HC transfer is low versus losing someones account/character that is 10+ years old.  That process is almost certain to be a test case for them....

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
That process is almost certain to be a test case for them....

LOL? People xfer to Lam all of the time.  Their tech works, but they have yet to admit there's a business incentive for them to abandon a server.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:22pm:
LOL? People xfer to Lam all of the time.  Their tech works, but they have yet to admit there's a business incentive for them to abandon a server.

Sure, but that has tons of problems, none of which create real issues for players, and the number of people who play on Lama is small compared to HC.  This will test their tech on a real scale, people will give a shit when things don't work right, versus Lama where there isn't anything "on the line"

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #33 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
How is the HC transfer any different than when people transfer characters between servers now?   It's super easy and takes seconds.   

The bigger issues, however, will still remain:

1)  Astral Shards don't transfer
2)  TR Cache doesn't transfer
3)  Shared Bank doesn't transfer so you have to clean that out.
4)  Name conflicts (nobody cares on Lama and on the HC server you went in knowing it was temporary, so you won't be upset if the name is taken.   That'll be different with a name you've had for years)
5)  Guilds don't transfer.   (Again, on HC people went in knowing that the guilds were throw away.   Different story losing a guild you leveled to 200 and put real $$ into over years and years)
6)  A bunch of small shit like BB streaks, 1st time bonuses, favor, favor rewards and unlocks, ransacks, raid completions, raid flagging, chain progress, timers, etc all get wiped out.   Which may or may not be a big deal.

Personally, I think all of the above stuff can be managed, especially if they do it via a "free server transfers" vs an actual server merge and make it an "opt in" kind of thing to change servers to cluster a larger portion of the player base on one, two or three servers.   

Just brainstorming, but there might be some interesting concepts around starting up two new permanent servers.  One for general live play and one for HC/PD play.   Offer free transfers from current live servers to the live one and the ability to create new characters only on the HC/PD one (or transfer a character from the HC league server that is still living at the end of the league to the permanent HC/PD server.)  That way, people who like the live experience can cluster on that one.  People who like the HC/PD experience can cluster there. 

I think that the HC league server was fun, and I hope profitable for SSG, but the impact on the live servers is definitely a concern in the player base that needs addressing.   Preferably before the next league event.        
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2019 at 4:56pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 4:54pm:
6)  A bunch of small shit like BB streaks, 1st time bonuses, favor, favor rewards and unlocks, ransacks, raid completions, raid flagging, chain progress, timers, etc all get wiped out.

Just checked after xfering to Lam: First time bonuses aren't reset.  Favor and raid flagging remains intact.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #35 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:56am:
Just checked after xfering to Lam: First time bonuses aren't reset.  Favor and raid flagging remains intact.

That's cool.   I mostly only transfer daily dice mules, so I know that bank slots and inventory slots remain, but wasn't sure about a lot of the other stuff.

I guess I could have checked the wiki:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Server

But, that might be outdated, too.  I don't think the 14 day restriction exists anymore.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #36 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:08am:
Ash's the type of guy who would complain that the water is too cold while being boiled alive in a cauldron.

https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-10-06

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Druidica wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 12:30am:
Quiting ddo was the best thing i did in a long time, more time for family, friends, sports and "other activities"

this. This so much. For me, I'll never come back. After trying to quit so many times, this year I did it for real. There is no reason to come back to this, ever, or to any other MMO.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
And the reason to quit was this, as it has been since the first time I tried to quit. The game requires too much investiment. I remember when they released the epic destinies, I thought grinding them in Rusted Blades was grind, oh boy... then I thought heroic PL's was grind when everyone was becoming a completionist... then they released EP's, and I thought that was grind... then there was slavers. But they really killed the game with reaper and racials.

And year after year they slapped us more and more on the face. The worse was the reaper crap, almost everyone rejected the trees and prefered like it was on the first Lamma version.

Now to a new player start this game just doesn't make sense. You have to pay hundreds of dollars just to have all the content/tomes/destinies/classes etc, and still suck completely compared to a vet.

As we always said, the more they went away from DnD 3.5, the worse. The majority who played before U14 prefered the game like that. And they kept moving away from it. The game became more and more about ridiculously overpowered stats and less about play, unlike pre-u14 or ever pre-u18, when my first lifer was almost as good as the next guy's completionists.

I remember someone said on the forums one day: "This game is called Dungeons and Dragons online, it was supposed to be one of the most successful MMOs ever, yet they managed to ruin it".
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:31am by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:42pm:
And the reason to quit was this, as it has been since the first time I tried to quit. The game requires too much investiment. I remember when they released the epic destinies, I thought grinding them in Rusted Blades was grind, oh boy... then I thought heroic PL's was grind when everyone was becoming a completionist... then they released EP's, and I thought that was grind... then there was slavers. But they really killed the game with reaper and racials.

And year after year they slapped us more and more on the face. The worse was the reaper crap, almost everyone rejected the trees and prefered like it was on the first Lamma version.

Now to a new player start this game just doesn't make sense. You have to pay hundreds of dollars just to have all the content/tomes/destinies/classes etc, and still suck completely compared to a vet.

As we always said, the more they went away from DnD 3.5, the worse. The majority who played before U14 prefered the game like that. And they kept moving away from it. The game became more and more about ridiculously overpowered stats and less about play, unlike pre-u14 or ever pre-u18, when my first lifer was almost as good as the next guy's completionists.

I remember someone said on the forums one day: "This game is called Dungeons and Dragons online, it was supposed to be one of the most successful MMOs ever, yet they managed to ruin it".

Pretty much all of this.

I don't mind putting in some research into my character plan, and some grind to get there, or even some money to unlock it. But I hate that they keep moving the goal posts.

I also hate the power gap even when it "benefits" me, I can't get my friends to play because they look at that gap and it feels insurmountable. That's the real reason the hard core server was so popular, there were no mega-completionists on it so the power gap was a lot smaller and people could play together.

I'm taking a break right now, too, because I'm sick of the BS. So they went from earning a little money from me to earning none at all. And actually it wasn't all that little, I bought expansions, a Kraken airship, modules, classes, etc.

This game should be printing money, but the screw ups keep getting greedy and it kills it.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Hindsight is 20/20 but the biggest mistake was overplaying the reincarnation system to encourage players to focus on single character development ad nauseum.   

That created the gap between new and old players beyond skill. 

That created the ability to solo content and/or trivialize content as player power outpaced content challenge.

Both of those killed the grouping/multiplayer aspect, which was central to D&D.

That created the need to break the D&D ruleset to allow for progression systems beyond what d20 can support. 

Which also removed more D&D from DDO.

I really enjoy playing the game.  I like playing the limited amount of time I get to play each week.  And it is the closest thing to D&D that exists (outside the ToEE game or the BG/IWD infinity engine games).   But the focus on single character unlimited progression has been been an increasing negative over time.   I much prefer a revenue model that does not sell power/progression and a game systems model that caps single character power.  I'd move the revenue model to cosmetics and QoL for characters.   I'd cap the progression systems and start offering methods to accelerate some of the older grinds.  I'd move progressions to adding more options vs. adding more power.   The templates are there, they just need to be replicated. 

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 9:06am:
Hindsight is 20/20 but the biggest mistake was overplaying the reincarnation system to encourage players to focus on single character development ad nauseum.   

^This.

I don't fault them for trying it, it was a good idea, but they carried it way to far. I fault them for doubling down on it when they should have realized what damage it was doing. That gap is a huge problem for the game, it breaks grouping and cuts off the influx of new players.

For me the most important aspect of D&D is playing with my friends, and if my friends are leaving a game I'm going too no matter how much more D&D like it is in the less important ways. Everyone has their own set of priorities, but for me nothing else matters if my friends are elsewhere.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 9:06am:

Close, but not quite.  Plenty of other MMOs focus on a single character development.  However in other MMOs, catchup mechanics are commonly implemented so the gap between old and new players is manageable.

Take a look at a game like EverQuest which has been around for 20 years.  Their Alternate Advancement system allows development of a toon independent of character level (kinda like reaper).  When AA was first introduced, each AA was hard earned.  I remember leaving the game with 212 AA, and that was the top 5% of players at the time.  Fast forward to today, and the total amount of AA available is more than 20k.  However, EQ has implemented ways to fast track obtaining AA up to a certain threshold so new players can compete with 20 year veterans.

DDO needs a catchup mechanic for new players.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:52am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #43 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:39am:
Close, but not quite.  Plenty of other MMOs focus on a single character development.  However in other MMOs, catchup mechanics are commonly implemented so the gap between old and new players is manageable.

Take a look at a game like EverQuest which has been around for 20 years.  Their Alternate Advancement system allows development of a toon independent of character level (kinda like reaper).  When AA was first introduced, each AA was hard earned.  I remember leaving the game with 212 AA, and that was the top 5% of players at the time.  Fast forward to today, and the total amount of AA available is more than 20k.  However, EQ has implemented ways to fast track obtaining AA up to a certain threshold so new players can compete with 20 year veterans.

DDO needs a catchup mechanic for new players.

Or a bold move like WoW's latest - crunch everybody back down from level 120 to level 60.

But oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth we'd hear.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #44 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
They could implement a system more like ED's and twists for all the progression systems:

Limit how many PL's are affecting your build at any one time:

You have up to 6 Heroic PL Feat slots (which must be unlocked)

You can insert any of the heroic PL feats you have earned, including completionist, into one of the slots and it will be active on your character.  The others are inactive and not providing any value.   Thus after you have earned 6 PL's, the future ones are just providing flexibility for builds.  But they are not additively just increasing your permanent power level.   Maybe the PL feats are a bit more "juiced" because of the limit of 6 actives.    This also moves the heroic completionist from using a regular feat slot.

Repeat for Racial PL's.   6 slots.

Repeat for Iconic PL's.   3 slots. 

(Or just give 15 slots and let people pick heroic, racial, or iconic ones based on their build design)

Epic PL's active feats already kinda work this way, but limit the passives in the same way as above vs. having all of them active.  Make the passives only kick in at level 20.  Not level 1.

Reaper - Put a cap on the number of reaper AP you can spend, much like regular AP are limited to 80.  Put the max at 40, or someething. 

Something like that would make sense.   Then change the XP curve to use the 2.7 million curve for all lives.   First life is a little longer, but with today's xp nobody would care.  Each one after would be way faster.   Alter the Epic chart to 6 million to match what it takes to fill a single destiny tree.  Redo the destinies to 2 million each.  Then the whole system makes sense. 

Now you have choices and trade offs and the additive value of more lives is flexibility and adapting to a changing meta more so than pure power.

I'm not sure the meta player base could handle that kind of a drastic change, though.  They'd probably lose their minds.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:13pm:
Or a bold move like WoW's latest - crunch everybody back down from level 120 to level 60.

It's a brilliant move.  It makes leveling easy for new characters, and you double the at-level content to choose from while leveling.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:34pm:
They could implement a system more like ED's and twists for all the progression systems:

That's limiting for the sake of limiting, and it alienates the established playerbase.  It also doesn't do anything for new characters to catch up.

I'm not hear to solution, because SSG wouldn't listen anyway.  They are still in the denial phase of grief.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #47 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
That's limiting for the sake of limiting, and it alienates the established playerbase.  It also doesn't do anything for new characters to catch up.

I'm not hear to solution, because SSG wouldn't listen anyway.  They are still in the denial phase of grief.

Fair points.   I think you need to do both put a cap on it and give a speed up.  The speed up is a bit tougher to figure out.  I'd need to put more time into that.    

As for alienating, there isn't much you can do to alter the situation without upsetting some portion of the current top 10%.   It won't be all of them, though.  I'd be Ok with it if I felt like it improved the ability to get some people I want to play to give it a try.   I'm running into grind problems when introducing the game or when talking to former players about giving it a try again.  The question would be, can you make the game appealing enough with the changes that you don't lose all of the existing metas and you can gain new sources of revenue in returning players or new players to offset the losses and then some?   

I don't know the answers to those questions.   Just brainstorming.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #48 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Moving towards temporary servers between expansions seems helpful. People enjoy the fresh start when everyone has to---it's like getting a new poker game going with a limited buy-in. I'd love to see special XP bonuses on those severs---but it would need to be accompanied by a server merge for the existing servers.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2019 at 3:11pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #49 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 3:11pm:
Moving towards temporary servers between expansions seems helpful. People enjoy the fresh start when everyone has to---it's like getting a new poker game going with a limited buy-in. I'd love to see special XP bonuses on those severs---but it would need to be accompanied by a server merge for the existing servers.

I'd agree with this.  One, maybe two "permanent" servers with temp "league" servers 2 or 3 times per year.   That's a model that can work.

I'm worried about another temp server coming out without some consolidation on the permanents.   That was brutal for those who were playing exclusively on the permanents.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint