Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO is dying, for real this time. (Read 20124 times)
Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Re: DDO is dying, for real this time.
Reply #50 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:34pm:
They could implement a system more like ED's and twists for all the progression systems:
I'm not sure the meta player base could handle that kind of a drastic change, though.  They'd probably lose their minds.

I don't think the devs could handle the crunch without borking existing toons; be that somehow wiping PLs, screwing stats due to PLs (for instance my PRR has been bugged before due to ETRing. Having a perma 25 PRR until I full on TR'd was great, especially when support said they couldn't help), or a myriad of issues.

I think a lot of people would be fine with it; including triple comps like myself. But the fear of how the Rockstars could spaghetti the code even more would be the real reason would be against it. That and they are weird about 'power'. I imagine they wouldn't buff the PLs enough to be worthwhile in an ED twist slot style system. In which case it would be more awkward as your suggestion with making it say 6 class slots including Completionist. Most builds could easily make use of 6 class slots and be hard pressed to trade some of the current bonuses for +2 to all stats.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #51 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:54pm:
I don't think the devs could handle the crunch without borking existing toons; be that somehow wiping PLs, screwing stats due to PLs (for instance my PRR has been bugged before due to ETRing. Having a perma 25 PRR until I full on TR'd was great, especially when support said they couldn't help), or a myriad of issues.

I think a lot of people would be fine with it; including triple comps like myself. But the fear of how the Rockstars could spaghetti the code even more would be the real reason would be against it. That and they are weird about 'power'. I imagine they wouldn't buff the PLs enough to be worthwhile in an ED twist slot style system. In which case it would be more awkward as your suggestion with making it say 6 class slots including Completionist. Most builds could easily make use of 6 class slots and be hard pressed to trade some of the current bonuses for +2 to all stats.

LOL, too true. Any real solution would be predicated on competent developers, which DDO hasn't got and won't have any time soon. Even when they got to design new code themselves (i.e. Slavers gear) they still screwed it up and didn't build it to be salvageable or whatever it was Lynabel admitted on the motherboards.

As Old Ben used to say, "These are not the game saving rock stars you are looking for."

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #52 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
LOL, too true. Any real solution would be predicated on competent developers, which DDO hasn't got and won't have any time soon. Even when they got to design new code themselves (i.e. Slavers gear) they still screwed it up and didn't build it to be salvageable or whatever it was Lynabel admitted on the motherboards.

So true.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #53 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
The die is cast, we've hit the iceberg.   Enjoy the ride down while you still can.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #54 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:00pm:
The die is cast, we've hit the iceberg.   Enjoy the ride down while you still can.

There's still ranged ranger out there for you...

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:32pm:
I'd agree with this.  One, maybe two "permanent" servers with temp "league" servers 2 or 3 times per year.   That's a model that can work.

I'm worried about another temp server coming out without some consolidation on the permanents.   That was brutal for those who were playing exclusively on the permanents. 

I didn't even play on my home server during the hardcore event.  I logged on once a week for gold rolls and noted that there wasn't a soul around to group with.  It was like wayfinder only sadder.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:42pm:
Now to a new player start this game just doesn't make sense. You have to pay hundreds of dollars just to have all the content/tomes/destinies/classes etc, and still suck completely compared to a vet.

For me this is half of the issue. The cost to play DDO is huge even if you are a VIP you have to buy a lot of stuff. This is one of the major reasons I could never make RL friends DDO players

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #57 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:32pm:
I'm worried about another temp server coming out without some consolidation on the permanents.   That was brutal for those who were playing exclusively on the permanents. 

The one thing I think they need to do is shorten the duration of any future league style servers.  90 days was too long to put that kind of hit on the populations of the regular servers.

I'd say a 30 days would still get them the bulk of the whale sales, let people have the fun with the league rulesets, and so forth but would have far less of a lasting negative impact on the regular servers.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #58 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
So is Hard Core over now? How are populations on the regular servers (and Hard Core if it's winding down but not over) doing?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #59 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 3:52pm:
So is Hard Core over now?

It ended 5 days ago.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #60 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 3:52pm:
So is Hard Core over now? How are populations on the regular servers (and Hard Core if it's winding down but not over) doing?

Ghallanda is back to booming, 8 r1 tier raids yesterday that i was in, constant r10s. I don't know about the other shit servers.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:03pm:
I don't know about the other shit servers.

Can confirm: Orien is still ass.  99% of players can't build for shit and try to justify their AA and paladin builds are optimal DPS.  There's been two R1 PN completions ever, and the server *struggles* with LH THTH.  The only reapers posted tonight was my R7 group.  Some genuinely nice people on the server, but they don't have the mindset to push difficulty.  I kid you not: I've had players join heroic Gianthold groups while TRing with 2 fire sorcs in the party and tell me "R5 are you crazy?!"

I think it's time to xfer.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #62 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
Can confirm: Orien is still ass.  99% of players can't build for shit and try to justify their AA and paladin builds are optimal DPS.  There's been two R1 PN completions ever, and the server *struggles* with LH THTH.  The only reapers posted tonight was my R7 group.  Some genuinely nice people on the server, but they don't have the mindset to push difficulty.  I kid you not: I've had players join heroic Gianthold groups while TRing with 2 fire sorcs in the party and tell me "R5 are you crazy?!"

Jump in, the water's warm.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #63 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 9:16pm:

Yep, lack of endgame players sucks donkey balls. I lost count on the number of snowflakes who'd join a raid (or a high reaper run) and midway thru completion after 10 deaths be like "It's my first time, please be gentle"...
What kinda shithole are all these clueless cunts keep crawling out of? No fucking idea, Orien hasn't been the default for ages now.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #64 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 7:10am
Print Post  
LOL, well, I'd have been surprised if 3 months of hard core taught the entire player base to be great players, mostly I was curious if people coming down off hard core went back to normal DDO or on to something else. Sounds like most people went back to the normal DDO.

IP Logged

acidpickachu
Waterworks Kobold

drugs not hugs

Reply #65 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:03pm:
Ghallanda is back to booming.

Less than two months until the Roaring Twenties.

Sounds like the other servers already hit the Great Depression though.

IP Logged

Merl
Korthos Resident

Sock Acct

Reply #66 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:22am:
Hindsight is 20/20 but the biggest mistake was overplaying the reincarnation system to encourage players to focus on single character development ad nauseum.   

That created the gap between new and old players beyond skill. 

Let it burn

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #67 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 9:14am
Print Post  
I found the spinning gnoll and the rolling robot in sharn while first timing on r10 without having a freaking clue what il encounter a amazing experience.

I genuinely had fun with sharn.

I am not having fun with new epic past lifes and with racial past lifes, but i will complete them non the less.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2019 at 9:22am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This:

Quote:
Not sure if doubling population would be useful, but right now there're plenty korean games which grinding is (right now, looooool) lower than DDO, and free and... Well, ppl play for free til the grind reaches the point of "pay to advance" (in your case pay for gearing, due to paying for expansions) and then they drop

[...]

Also keep in mind that DDO is probably the most expensive game to play (everything has a cost in points and they aren't that fast to earn) however it isn't able to call and make worth it the gajilion cash some ppl spend in stuff like... Phone games?

DDO was supposed to be a D&D online game, once u lost that point, well, you're just another game with a target which may or not spend money on it

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/510983-Want-to-double-population?p=627...
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2020 at 9:11am by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #69 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:21pm:
Evidence number 1:
Since hardcore came out the server populations all went down, but now that hardcore is closing the populations aren't back up again... ...we're still hanging at about half of what we were when hardcore came out.

Evidence number 2:
We've gone from a weekly restart, to a bi-weekly restart---even though the server populations are smaller.

Evidence number 3:
Reaper has run its course and many people are bored with the current meta. This is subjective, but personally all the content is now so stale I'm not sure I can level to 30 again. The dead end which is reaper XP is keeping some people going, but it has really ruined the challenge of reapers. The meta has been solved for too long and the recent addition of new reapers didn't revitalize the endgame.

Evidence number 4:
Soul shitter is the worst pack in years. That laggy piece of uninspired garbage makes epic Amarath look good.

Evidence number 5:
The developers are accelerating the number of past lives available to people but everyone seems less and less motivated to give a fuck about all the new past lives. I think we've finally saturated this shit-hole of a system. It was great for a long time but how many times do you really wanna run Shadowcrypt? This is another subjective point...

~

The bottomless money pit of endless TR cycles with a trickle of content is drying up. The (honestly) hackneyed band-aids of champions and reaper difficulty have run their course to keep people amused with ancient fucking content. The servers are running like more garbage than 4 years ago, and communities in game are collapsing the server populations under the weight of boredom.

Heres some reasons that may have caused the downfall of DDO. Itll be interesting to see what reasons Youtubers give (if they even do) on how DDO died in their eventual "death of a game" videos. Some of my reasons may have overlap issues.

The downfall of DDO (maybe)
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is mostly fixed now due to a much smaller player base. However, old 'Input' lag issues remain with actions like drinking pots and casting spells making the game feel clunky and unresponsive.
  • Old, Niche, and somewhat complicated: Dated graphics, clunky, and complicated. Huge barrier of entry for new players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example 
  • The Winchester Mansionification: Game systems built upon game systems built upon game systems. I could not imagine being a new player or even a returning player. The amount of grind needed to catch up is insane. Also the feeling of incompetence whilst doing the grind would tilt most people. Hitting like a wet noodle while watching veterans kill everything with ease.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Now DDO is just a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a decent DnD experience will be largely disappointed. Heres an example
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Chest re-rolls are most likely balanced simply by reducing base drop rates. However, initially releasing +3 tomes in the store killed off many of the older heroic raids which were ran for the tomes in the 20th lists. Bypass timers quickly killed off what little content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: MotU expansion and after killed off the majority of endgame players. Removing years of endgame content due to the level increase. Complete lack of new endgame content and constant power creep. The true endgame were Epic Pastlives and the Destiny tree. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans getting shorter. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Separating the player base between 20 heroic and 10 epic levels. As well as more than a decade of content and paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect im sure.
  • Removal of the 'Holy Trinity': This probably saved the game in the long run but I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing on purely dps and especially healing. Definitely a culture shock for players after MotU release. Most probably quitting shortly after.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: Probably a coding issue. As meshing each cosmetics to every race must take forever. At least thats what I think the reason is for failing miserably at this. A F2P mmo without good cosmetics. Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. As the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed but im sure this has an affect on how many quests/raids are ran.

DDO is slowly bleeding to death. A slow degradation of veterans whilst retaining nearly zero new players. Theres the odd blood transfusion with gimmicks such as "season passes" though.  

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:52pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #70 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:06pm:
Heres some reasons that may have caused the downfall of DDO. Itll be interesting to what reasons Youtubers give (if they even do) on how DDO died in their eventual "death of a game" videos. Some of my reasons may have overlap issues.

The downfall of DDO (maybe)
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is mostly fixed now due to a much smaller player base.
  • Old, Niche, and somewhat complicated: Bad graphics, clunky, and complicated. Huge barrier of entry for new players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example 
  • The Winchester Mansionification: Game systems built upon game systems built upon game systems. I could not imagine being a new player or even a returning player. The amount of grind needed to catch up is insane. Also the feeling of incompetence whilst doing the grind would tilt most people. Hitting like a wet noodle while watching veterans kill everything with ease.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Now DDO is just a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a decent DnD experience will be largely disappointed. Heres an example
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Chest re-rolls are most likely balanced simply by reducing base drop rates. However initially releasing +3 tomes in the store killed off many of the older heroic raids which were ran for the tomes in the 20th lists. Bypass timers quickly killed off what little content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: MotU release and after killed off most endgame players. removing years of content due to the level increase. Complete lack of content. Constant power creep. The true endgame was Epic Pastlives and the Destiny tree. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Seperating the playerbase between 20 heroic and 10 epic levels. As well as paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect im sure.
  • Removal of the Holy Trinity: This probably saved the game but I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing on purely dps and especially healing. Definitely a culture shock for players after MotU release.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: Probably a coding issue. As meshing each cosmetics to every race must take forever. At least thats what I think the reason is for failing miserably at this. A F2P mmo without good cosmetics. Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. As the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed but im sure this has an affect on how many quests/raids are ran.

DDO is slowly bleeding to death. A slow degradation of veterans whilst retaining nearly zero new players. Theres the odd blood transfusion with gimmicks such as "season passes" though.  

Great write-up dude

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #71 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Great points WFB & RTG, I agree with most of what the two of you said.

I want to throw in 1 I feel personally - you mentioned how all these problems deter new players and drive out all but the most dedicated, but there is a corollary to that. As those players leave or won't join, their friends, even if otherwise satisfied with the game, are more likely to follow their friends than stick with a dying game. Eventually attrition will reach a tipping point where it's driven by attrition itself even absent other problems. Even more damaging than empty servers is a friend playing a different game.

Also, dissatisfaction with a game is a lot like dissatisfaction in a relationship - you can stick with it as resentment builds, but eventually, possibly long after the worst events happened, some little thing makes you decide to throw in the towel. SSG is likely to wait until they see the dam burst to start repairing it, but by then it's too late.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Good points all around.  Quibbling about a few things:

Server lag is alive and well in raids.  In PN: heals don't land, curse pots don't trigger, and people die in the air during Rudus' jump.  That bullshit gets old quick when progressing through skulls.  DDO was optimized for the dialup era.  You'd think that would translate well with gigabit speeds to your home, but no.

I disagree about the bad graphics, at least for the environments.  The SSG art team does a great job with the engine limitations they have.  Ravenloft is a masterpiece -- I still find myself gawking at the environments and quests.  Whoever is responsible for cosmetic armor needs to step aside for someone who has better vision and execution.  We should be drowning in cosmetics ala PoE or Fortnite.  Instead there's a trickle of cosmetics and most of them are ugly.

Considering their age, some older raids hold up pretty well: heroic and epic VON+DQ gets run mostly for XP.  Epic Chrono is good XP.  Heroic Shroud gets soloed by capped people needing more Displacement clickies.  Abbott still gets run for Feather of Sun's legacy.  You're right about Titan/HoX/VoD/ToD/LoB/MA/CitW being abandoned. Is that any different than other MMOs though?

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:11am
Print Post  
I'm just waiting for a classic U12 server mantained by fans. Wonder if that is possible, maybe after the game dies.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #74 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:11am:
I'm just waiting for a classic U12 server mantained by fans. Wonder if that is possible, maybe after the game dies.

There's a less than ZERO chance that SSG will release the source code for DDO after they drop it. WotC wouldn't be able to control the IP if it is released and SSG's foolish pride won't let it be released for fear of a bunch of players showing them up by fixing all the bugs, reducing lag, and putting out more (and better) content.

In short, keep dreaming.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint