Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO is dying, for real this time. (Read 20149 times)
Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Re: DDO is dying, for real this time.
Reply #75 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:43am:
There's a less than ZERO chance that SSG will release the source code for DDO after they drop it. WotC wouldn't be able to control the IP if it is released and SSG's foolish pride won't let it be released for fear of a bunch of players showing them up by fixing all the bugs, reducing lag, and putting out more (and better) content.

In short, keep dreaming.

Like most games when this occurs, it comes down to emulating software being made in time to capture the game's code.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
There's a less than ZERO chance that SSG will release the source code for DDO after they drop it. WotC wouldn't be able to control the IP if it is released and SSG's foolish pride won't let it be released for fear of a bunch of players showing them up by fixing all the bugs, reducing lag, and putting out more (and better) content.

In short, keep dreaming.

You guys better start being nicer to Cripey. Because when he buys this shit, none of us are getting on his server.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #77 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:11am:
I'm just waiting for a classic U12 server mantained by fans. Wonder if that is possible, maybe after the game dies.

I'd pay to play that.

I agree with Techno that SSG is too thin skinned to allow the comparison, but fans could knock it out of the park.

Of course, it's hard to imagine anybody doing a *worse* job than SSG, but even absent that artificially low standard I think fans could do well. DDO is the type of game that attracts fans strong on planning and managing details.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #78 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 1:49pm:
I want to throw in 1 I feel personally - you mentioned how all these problems deter new players and drive out all but the most dedicated, but there is a corollary to that. As those players leave or won't join, their friends, even if otherwise satisfied with the game, are more likely to follow their friends than stick with a dying game. Eventually attrition will reach a tipping point where it's driven by attrition itself even absent other problems. Even more damaging than empty servers is a friend playing a different game.

I couldn't agree more.

Carpone wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 2:42pm:
Good points all around.  Quibbling about a few things:

Server lag is alive and well in raids.  In PN: heals don't land, curse pots don't trigger, and people die in the air during Rudus' jump.  That bullshit gets old quick when progressing through skulls.  DDO was optimized for the dialup era.  You'd think that would translate well with gigabit speeds to your home, but no.

I think I conditioned myself to the pot drinking/healing "lag". I spam click pots/heals till they go off. Good catch though, as this makes the game feel clunky and unresponsive. 

I disagree about the bad graphics, at least for the environments.  The SSG art team does a great job with the engine limitations they have.  Ravenloft is a masterpiece -- I still find myself gawking at the environments and quests.  Whoever is responsible for cosmetic armor needs to step aside for someone who has better vision and execution.  We should be drowning in cosmetics ala PoE or Fortnite.  Instead there's a trickle of cosmetics and most of them are ugly.

I personally think the graphics are great even after all these years. Although I think its a valid criticism, especially in regards to new players. As most people would most likely see the graphics as a negative in their first impressions.   

Agreed 100% on the cosmetics. Something needs to change.

Considering their age, some older raids hold up pretty well: heroic and epic VON+DQ gets run mostly for XP.  Epic Chrono is good XP.  Heroic Shroud gets soloed by capped people needing more Displacement clickies.  Abbott still gets run for Feather of Sun's legacy.  You're right about Titan/HoX/VoD/ToD/LoB/MA/CitW being abandoned. Is that any different than other MMOs though?

Out-leveled content certainly falls out of favor as theres largely no point in running them. As you pointed out this happens in every mmo. My point was mostly aimed at the detrimental affects when selling items that bypass grind.

Specifically with the release of +3 tomes in the DDO store late 2011. This was the very first instance where raid loot or "pay 2 win" was sold in the store. Closest being mana pots before this. Click here to read the 22 page outcry.

Basically over night there was no reason to farm VoD, Hox, Abbot, Shroud, and Reavers for players who already had the items. As these were farmed constantly for the +3 tomes in the 20th lists. Raids that had a chance to drop a +4 tome like ToD, or epic raids were still farmed. I didnt complain since it meant I could stop farming those raids but it hurt the raiding scene for sure. Keep in mind that this trend continued with the next tier of tome released in the store (+4, +5, +6 etc.). Why farm the 20th lists for tomes when you can just buy them?

Vaultaccount wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:11am:
I'm just waiting for a classic U12 server mantained by fans. Wonder if that is possible, maybe after the game dies.

In short, keep dreaming.

SSG would never release the source code. Nor would they even have the Pre-MotU source code. At least I highly doubt it. The only way to get a true 'Classic Server' (or any server for that matter) is to have a dedicated group of coders working on reverse engineering and writing their own code whilst servers are still running. This takes a considerable amount of time and effort. If the servers shut down before these efforts are made then its game over. 

Im posting this here for those who may not have seen it on page 3. You're welcome to critique or add things. Whether that be issues from the past or present that have plagued DDO and its player base.

The downfall of DDO
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is much better now due to a much smaller player base. However, old 'Input' lag issues remain with actions like drinking pots and casting spells making the game feel clunky and unresponsive.
  • Old, clunky, and complicated: Dated graphics, clunky, and complicated. All barriers of entry for potential players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example 
  • Character power that doesnt reset after a new expansion: Most MMOs use items as character power that eventually get reset with the release of a new expansion. Putting every player on equal footing come launch day. DDO has a decade worth of these game systems without any catch up mechanics creating a snowball effect that ends up hurting new and returning players.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Now DDO is just a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a "authentic" DnD experience will be largely disappointed. Heres an example
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Initially releasing +3 tomes in the store late 2011 killed off about half of the endgame raids overnight which were ran for +3 tomes in the 20th lists. This trend of selling tomes continues to this day. Raid Timer Bypasses and chest re-rolls quickly killed off what little new content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: Post-MotU expansion killed off the majority of endgame players. Trivializing years of endgame content due to the level increase. Complete lack of new endgame content and constant power creep. The true endgame were Epic Pastlives and Epic Destinies. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans getting shorter. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Separating the player base between 20 heroic, 10 epic, and soon to be legendary levels. As well as more than a decade of content and paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect to the playerbase.
  • Removal of the 'Holy Trinity' design: MotU expansion brought Epic Destinies which allowed players to essentially solo the game (not having to rely on healers). This probably saved the game in the long run due to the much smaller playerbase now. However, I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing purely on dps or healing. Definitely a culture shock for players. Some probably quit shortly after, especially healers which were made obsolete.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: A f2P mmo without good store bought cosmetics? Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers or grind.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. Making them feel trapped as the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed.
  • Bugs: The buggiest MMO I've ever played. Leaving DDO to play other MMOs left me with anxiety as I would question if abilities and items were working as intended (legit).
  • No PvP: While most players agree there's no need for PvP in DDO. One cant deny theres a considerable portion of players that focus on PvP rather than PvE in mmo's. DDO not having dedicated PvP alienates these types of potential players.
  • Bad raid designs: This is subjective but a lot of the raids in DDO, especially Post-MotU are ruined by either an over abundance of puzzles or just bad design. Think CitW, Deathwyrm, DoJ, Babas, Riding the Storm Out etc. Even good raids like LoB were plagued by a mandatory 40 minute clear to the entrance and confusing loot upgrades.

Honorable mentions: Not unique to DDO but worthy of mentioning.
  • Communication issues/lack of QA: Some examples: Devs not telling players pre-MotU of a hidden save bonus to mobs Epic Ward that gave extra saves depending on their percentage of health remaining. The fortification bypass portion of the rogues Opportunist Feat not working. Being borked for a year or two until two players tested it in the PvP pit and made a thread about it. I guess the devs didnt want to spend the 5 minutes testing it.
  • Baffling design choices/knee jerk reactions: Some examples: In order to make the endgame "harder". Updated 11 introduced increased raid boss damage, health, and increased fortification based on difficulty. This inadvertently destroyed rogue players on any difficulty above normal. As they not only had low health pools but 60% of their dps relied on Sneak Attacks. During 2014 the devs tried to balance Shiradi by giving rainbow/colors of the queen epic pastlife a chance to proc Radiant Forcefield and Adrenline on mobs. This also worked on raid bosses. This procced quite often giving raid bosses a near constant 25% reduced incoming damage and a chance to one shot players. It was removed sometime later in a patch.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #79 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:13pm:
Im posting this here for those who may not have seen it on page 3. You're welcome to critique or add things. Whether that be issues from the past or present that have plagued DDO and its player base.

For consideration and discussion:

Knee jerk reactions: The DDO development team has always been too quick to slap a quick fix on a perceived problem without thinking it through or considering long term consequences. These changes have often caused problems as great as, or greater than, the original perceived problem, often without actually fixing the problem. "Extreme Prejudice", anyone? A slow and considered approach, preferably with extensive testing and customer feedback, would result in "solutions" that helped the game instead of hurting it.

Too many rules changes too fast: DDO is a game that takes character planning many levels, even lives, in advance. Sure there are some players who crank them out in a week, but they aren't the majority. Many of us take many months or even years per life if they enjoy alts. Changing a rule to invalidate a build when a player is only half way through the process yields frustration, not interest. Doing it over and over again drives players away. A positive focus on replayability and content would keep far more content relevant and reduce burnout and attrition.

I like how your list acknowledges that many of the current problems either were short term solutions at the time, or were at one time good ideas but became bad when the landscape changed and DDO failed to adapt. The F2P model truly was genius at the time. F2P is still great for an MMO, just not in the 2009 style. Selling +3 tomes gave a short term cash infusion, but killed raids and introduced a large power gap.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #80 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:13pm:
Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is mostly fixed now due to a much smaller player base.
Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 

Note that the interaction of these 2 make a solution difficult. Simply combining servers could drive lag through the roof. They don't have a competent database developer on staff, and an improperly indexed database lookup with a foreign key relationship can be O(N*M) or worse, with N and M being the number of records in each table. Putting all the players and all their gear on the same server without first addressing lookup efficiency could be catastrophic, and look how poorly the datacenter move/virtualization was handled even when they had the WB resources to fall back on.

That's not to say they couldn't fix their design and then merge servers, but just merging servers would be a terrible idea given their history. Which probably means it's exactly what they'll do.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #81 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:23pm:
Simply combining servers could drive lag through the roof.

[citation needed]

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #82 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:23pm:
Simply combining servers could drive lag through the roof.

Why do we need 2 restarts per week with only 200-300 active people per server now? Hmmmm?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #83 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 12:32pm:
[citation needed]

The explanation immediately follows the statement. Somewhat simplified, doubling the amount of data in a database table can quadruple the time it takes to retrieve data in a poorly designed or implemented system, and SSG can't design and implement systems well.

I can't tell for certain if their design flaws are of a nature that would cause quadratic scaling, but they either don't know or can't fix them, so either way a "merge first fix later" approach would be stupid.

Well, stupid if retaining customers is your goal, who knows with SSG. Maybe they have some Producers-esque scheme going on and they make money if DDO folds within a certain period of time, in which case just merging could put it out of their misery with plausible deniability.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #84 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Lag has never scaled with server population, so made up theories to explain why it would are silly.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #85 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:48pm:
Lag has never scaled with server population, so made up theories to explain why it would are silly.

[Citation needed]

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #86 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:52pm:
[Citation needed]

Population trended upward from F2P launch until MotU, yet lag remained constant over that period.

Population trended downward from MotU until present, yet lag remained constant over that period.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #87 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:42pm:
Population trended upward from F2P launch until MotU, yet lag remained constant over that period.

Population trended downward from MotU until present, yet lag remained constant over that period.

Lag remaining constant is your subjective perception.

Give us data or some other proof.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #88 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:42pm:

You assert lag was constant over the period from from June 2012 to January 2020? We might as well not even be speaking the same language.

Look, I have tremendous respect for you and you've helped me out in the past, but I can't reconcile your claims with my personal experience.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #89 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I thought someone would say that. It's fine if you don't speak statistics. There was a plateau with the data center move, for sure, but that doesn't affect the slope of the 8 year trend line.

Besides, you're going to say lag wasn't constant, rather it was increasing, which just proved my point even harder. To support your more population = more lag hypothesis, you need to be showing how lag decreased by an order of magnitude or so during that time period.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #90 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 3:33pm:
Besides, you're going to say lag wasn't constant, rather it was increasing, which just proved my point even harder. To support your more population = more lag hypothesis, you need to be showing how lag decreased by an order of magnitude or so during that time period.

Your point would be valid if lag and server populations were the only things that changed in the past X number of years. 

Unfortunately, that's not the case and the devs have made constant and sometimes significant changes to the codebase during that timeframe.

When you consider ALL of the variables, it is entirely possible that the server population steadily decreased while lag steadily increased due to code changes, hardware changes and server virtualization changes. 

For all we know, SSG could have said, "Hmm, server population has decreased by 20%.  Let's reduce our VM host resources to save some $$".

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #91 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 3:33pm:
I thought someone would say that. It's fine if you don't speak statistics. There was a plateau with the data center move, for sure, but that doesn't affect the slope of the 8 year trend line.

I do speak statistics, my doctoral dissertation was on statistics. Well, stochastic processes, which is to statistics as calculus is to algebra. Although it was years ago, I'm sure I retain enough familiarity with statistics to handle anything you could bring to bear on this topic.

I also studied at a graduate level computational complexity, and database design and performance, both of which are relevant to my argument and which you failed to address.

Furthermore, I'm the senior developer for an insurance company with billions of dollars in coverage, which has given me years of experience with software, and particularly database, performance, and, yes, statistics.

Your assertion that the declining population since MOTU proved lag independent of population proved you really don't have a grasp of this even if you do "speak statistics", first because code changes obviously change the degree of dependence, second because lag hasn't been constant and certainly wasn't just a statistical aberration, and third because unused characters aren't purged from the database and so contribute to poor database performance long after their players have been driven from the game. This last means a declining concurrent population does not model the database bloat combining servers with their history would cause.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that you and I have different perceptions of lag, and assign different risk weights to the potential lag/potential ghost town effects on the game's future, but your attempt to paint this as "my inability to speak statistics" is truly beneath you. I and many others have played both Cannith and Wayfinder and the difference in lag is not simply our mass delusion. The fact that you have not observed it does not prove it does not exist.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:18pm:
I do speak statistics, my doctoral dissertation was on statistics. Well, stochastic processes, which is to statistics as calculus is to algebra. Although it was years ago, I'm sure I retain enough familiarity with statistics to handle anything you could bring to bear on this topic.

I also studied at a graduate level computational complexity, and database design and performance, both of which are relevant to my argument and which you failed to address.

Furthermore, I'm the senior developer for an insurance company with billions of dollars in coverage, which has given me years of experience with software, and particularly database, performance, and, yes, statistics.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #93 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 6:31pm
Print Post  

Your assertion that the declining population since MOTU proved lag independent of population proved you really don't have a grasp of this even if you do "speak statistics", first because code changes obviously change the degree of dependence, second because lag hasn't been constant and certainly wasn't just a statistical aberration, and third because unused characters aren't purged from the database and so contribute to poor database performance long after their players have been driven from the game. This last means a declining concurrent population does not model the database bloat combining servers with their history would cause.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that you and I have different perceptions of lag, and assign different risk weights to the potential lag/potential ghost town effects on the game's future, but your attempt to paint this as "my inability to speak statistics" is truly beneath you. I and many others have played both Cannith and Wayfinder and the difference in lag is not simply our mass delusion. The fact that you have not observed it does not prove it does not exist.

Holy shit, just be nice and tell that you fucked his mother.

No need to humiliate him like that.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #94 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
OK, if this came across as a slam I apologize, my goal was a solid defense against a dismissive attitude. The "Lag has never scaled with server population, so made up theories to explain why it would are silly" and "It's fine if you don't speak statistics" were worthy of Thrud and co., not 5FS, a vaultie I do respect and with whom I'd far prefer a constructive discussion than ad hominem attacks in either direction.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #95 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 10th, 2020 at 7:44pm:
OK, if this came across as a slam I apologize,

It came across exactly as it should have. Well played good sir!

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #96 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:08am
Print Post  
I am a rocket scientist; Therefore, I can apply my theories to rocks (it has that name in the title ya know).

Also, applying statistics correctly to a false issue is still applying a high level of accuracy to a pseudoscience.

There are several types of lag and not all of it is related directly to the number of users simultaneously logged in.  Merging will cause some of previous crippling lag to come back that is not present at this time. 

making the "hardcore" server was giving them statistics into how they COULD merge servers (via character transfers - but that has its own issues with guild storage and such). Starting without all of that old data and slack might be the answer to one type of lag, but the data structure and product is still not efficient.

What we probably can agree on is that they keep painting over the rust so much that paint is the only thing keeping it from sinking... but it still leaks like a sieve and the more people on the boat, the more water that comes in.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #97 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:08am:
I am a rocket scientist; Therefore, I can apply my theories to rocks (it has that name in the title ya know).

If you throw the rocks, rocket science can describe their trajectory. It might be beyond the average rock thrower, but it's the best explanation of it you can get. Rock throwers' sour grapes don't diminish that.

Also, applying statistics correctly to a false issue is still applying a high level of accuracy to a pseudoscience.

There are several types of lag and not all of it is related directly to the number of users simultaneously logged in.  Merging will cause some of previous crippling lag to come back that is not present at this time. 

BTW, I never said it was the sole source of lag, nor did I even say it was the most significant. I agree with you that there are other possible causes, and merging servers with the code we have now would likely cause a return of some of the crippling lag while other sources might remain at the same level.

making the "hardcore" server was giving them statistics into how they COULD merge servers (via character transfers - but that has its own issues with guild storage and such). Starting without all of that old data and slack might be the answer to one type of lag, but the data structure and product is still not efficient.

What we probably can agree on is that they keep painting over the rust so much that paint is the only thing keeping it from sinking... but it still leaks like a sieve and the more people on the boat, the more water that comes in.

I agree, hard core could have given them some great data - comparing performance between 2 servers with identical code base and population, with the difference being only the size of the historical data and ratio of past lives would be a powerful tool. I doubt they used it effectively, but it was an excellent opportunity for them. One caveat, though, cleaning up an old database can break things in ways you don't expect and can't detect right away, so even if this shows the old data was a big component of lag they aren't out of the woods yet.

I love the leaking boat held together by paint analogy, +1 for that!

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 9:20am:
If you throw the rocks, rocket science can describe their trajectory. It might be beyond the average rock thrower, but it's the best explanation of it you can get. Rock throwers' sour grapes don't diminish that.
!

Am a rocket science and can confirm this. :p

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #99 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:32am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:25am:
Am a rocket science

Obviously.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint