Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Item drop rate = RNG + X? (Read 7435 times)
Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Item drop rate = RNG + X?
Jan 5th, 2020 at 7:26am
Print Post  
As per the title implies, is RNG not the only thing contributing to named items drop?

I present several examples using my character compared to many other suspicious cases that had me raise an eyebrow

My main toon is extremely unlucky in pulling named items as most of stuff coming from old raids required me to run 20 completions just to give you an idea. raided like 20 times the new raids (from raiding the storms up to too hot to handle) and got 1 named item while the same people I go with had no problems getting 3 or 4. 1 dude in particular seems to get a named EVERY freaking time

Now you may think this is all within RNG and you wouldn't be wrong but the same happens in normal quests. I have been looking for a specific named from a normal quest and ran it over 40 times at EE as minimum and up to R6 just to increase the chances. Still nothing (I gave up today, it's pretty clear at this point I'm wasting my time since even the Rxp had drained to a handful of points)

The same characters that are lucky in raids manage to find all kind of stuff when I'm in group with them. Statistically speaking when can you start consider that RNG might be off (and I don't think it is since it works for other people) or, more likely, there is another hidden factor we cannot check that determines how many named you are going to loot?

Just asking because I recall that Turbine (now SSG) has denied for years there was a hidden loot factor in Asheron's Call until they finally had to admit it? Not really sure about this but I remember reading something about loot controversy in that game

It's not like I tried a few times and I run several chains on high difficulty without seeing a single named. My doubt comes from the high number of tries to get anything (and specific items are even more of a pain to get) compared to how other players seem to find something in every end chest

Do you guys think there is something else other than RNG too?

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Re: Item drop rate = RNG + X?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Even Turdbin dont know.

Last time ppl asked about reaper drop rates, every retard dev said a different shit.

And they were all wrong as usual.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 10:38am
Print Post  
They swear that the Treasure Hunter's Elixer doesn't do anything to the chance of getting Reaper or Mythic bonuses, but I'd swear that it does.

Am I saying that I know their code better than they do? No.
Am I saying that seeing my in-game experience over a long time is significantly different than what they see when they look at the code as they understand it? Fuck yeah.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 7:26am:
Just asking because I recall that Turbine (now SSG) has denied for years there was a hidden loot factor in Asheron's Call until they finally had to admit it? Not really sure about this but I remember reading something about loot controversy in that game

Wi Flag
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2020 at 12:28pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
The devs can't understand anything past the loot tables. They unwittingly tell us misinformation.

And let's say a highly talented software engineer did go ahead and read the full spaghetti code regarding chest loot generation mechanics all the way back to the [quest complete] flag.....and he found indeed there was some kind analogous Wi Flag....

DO YOU REALLY THINK AFTER ALL THESE YEAR'S THEY'D OPENLY ADMIT IT?

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Artorias I think you might be on to something. My experience is that when you regularly rerun stuff the drops fall away. Almost like the game recognizes you are trying to force a drop and scales back your chance.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:46pm:
Artorias I think you might be on to something. My experience is that when you regularly rerun stuff the drops fall away. Almost like the game recognizes you are trying to force a drop and scales back your chance.

Intentional or not, there's something more going on in the mechanics that goes beyond the chests individual drop rates.  My experience has been mostly feast or famine - almost like your drop rates are assigned when logging in.  There have been days I pull named items in almost literally ever single chest I open verses nights nothing drops regardless of how many skulls the group is running.  I haven't believed it's just a random roll for years now.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 3:22pm:
Intentional or not, there's something more going on in the mechanics that goes beyond the chests individual drop rates.  My experience has been mostly feast or famine - almost like your drop rates are assigned when logging in.  There have been days I pull named items in almost literally ever single chest I open verses nights nothing drops regardless of how many skulls the group is running.  I haven't believed it's just a random roll for years now.

I don't know what to tell you man. I have a legendary streak in not getting shit regardless of how hard I try.

Today I tried the quest I was farming on R2 with 4 more people and 2 of that goddamn named have dropped, not for me though and nobody passed.

I went through entire chains (yes, correct, chainS as in plural) without seeing shit. I must have rolled pretty low every time I logged. I have never been lucky with named drops but lately the problem is so bloody evident I would have thought the game was buggy if I didn't witness people pulling stuff left and right.

I am afraid the Wi flag might be true after all and I got the shaft. FML
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2020 at 4:07pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
What chain you ran?

Sharn have freaking gay low drop rates.

Specially chain2 for some items.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 5:11pm:
What chain you ran?

Sharn have freaking gay low drop rates.

Specially chain2 for some items.

The item I was looking for is from chain 2 actually.

I ran:
mines of thethyamar (or whatever is called)
sharn chain 2
sharn chain 3 (actually got a named here)
borderlands

the only place where I almost always get something is Barovia now that I think of it

Raids are another sad note since I noticed that in almost 20 (not counting the 20ish runs of the other raids, where I got 1 named) raids I got like 3 large devil scales while a very lucky dude I know pulled two of them from a LH run.

The only comfort is that I'm gathering runes but when I think that they will get me 1 item when people have already got multiple ones..well, I admit it,  pisses me off a little bit. Not too proud of it but it's not a pleasant feeling.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:46pm:
My experience is that when you regularly rerun stuff the drops fall away. Almost like the game recognizes you are trying to force a drop and scales back your chance.

agree.
it also seem that when I run quests that most groups don't normally run, if there is any named loot, then it tends to drop.
so, almost like the loot is on a timer, as opposed to randomness.  but just how it seems to me.
or maybe its based on amount of times named item has dropped in the last x + random roll.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 10:26am
Print Post  
0) Stop soloing
1) Get Friends
2) Get Bots
3) Get Friends w/ Bots
4) ...
5) Profit!!!

PS.: It took me about 2 full party ransacks to get jibber on my very last alt, FYI.
Never really grinded for it before. Rest of the chars got it by including TTT in dailies.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
If I run in a party, it probably seems to the others like stuff drops in every chest for me.

In actuality, if I am looking for an item to drop, then I'm rerolling that chest (up to) 3 times. So I get the items I'm looking for 4 times faster  (on average) than someone who never rerolls chests.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I can't wait until somebody complains to the Chinese cultural ministry that DDO uses a loot box mechanic (rerolling chests for shards purchased with real world currency) without posting the odds for each item you might get. That's been illegal for I think more than a year. Will they post odds or drop the shard re-roll? Sweat, bastards.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 10:38am:
They swear that the Treasure Hunter's Elixer doesn't do anything to the chance of getting Reaper or Mythic bonuses, but I'd swear that it does.

I've seen multiple reaper hats drop during a treasure hunter weekend. Want reaper Slaver blanks?  Farm them during the treasure hunter weekend.  I ended up with six in a weekend after running the chain twice on R1.  I had run it multiple times on R1 and never saw a single one.

There's a recent response from Lynnabel about drop rates.  Newer content (TOEE onwards) uses the 10% on normal, 16% on hard, 33% on elite + 1% per skull for named drop rates.

There are older chests with 100% named item drop rates.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
If their logic is like the old MUDs, the droprate decreases when more people are logged in with the item.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 1:57pm:
I've seen multiple reaper hats drop during a treasure hunter weekend. Want reaper Slaver blanks?  Farm them during the treasure hunter weekend.  I ended up with six in a weekend after running the chain twice on R1.  I had run it multiple times on R1 and never saw a single one.

There's a recent response from Lynnabel about drop rates.  Newer content (TOEE onwards) uses the 10% on normal, 16% on hard, 33% on elite + 1% per skull for named drop rates.

There are older chests with 100% named item drop rates.

I read that post too using the dev tracker. In my experience I can say Lynnabel is wrong

There is no freaking way in hell I was opening chests with at least 33% and got nothing for more than 10 times in a row. Happened to me in solo and party with 5 other dudes in a pug

I don't even remember what we were running but the only named that popped out was at end quest of chain and we ran like 4 quests. 6 tries for 3 quests is 18 chances and at 33% drop chance (again, minimum, we were on reaper)

1 - (1 - P)^N

P= probability of success
N = number of trials
^ = to the power of

1 - (1 - 0.33)^18
1 - (0.67)^18
1 - 0.00074

the percentage is next to 100%. Correct my math if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the drop rate is not even close to 33%
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2020 at 3:37pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 3:29pm:
I read that post too using the dev tracker. In my experience I can say Lynnabel is wrong

There is no freaking way in hell I was opening chests with at least 33% and got nothing for more than 10 times in a row. Happened to me in solo and party with 5 other dudes in a pug

This.

I did 60 runs of house of pain r1 with a bot acc.

I did not get a single necklace.

Also i have a lot of reaper helms most of them dropped in r1 runs.

Only 2 of them were pulled in r7+.

Dear players,

Love,

IP Logged

krakattak
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I have been present for 149 chest openings of Reach for the Sky - seen 1 Wildwood Gauntlets drop. About 5 Breaking the Bank and Thundershot, around 10 Shattered Onyx, 15 Enigma Core and about 20 Moonrise Bracers. Really doesn't seem like a uniform distribution at all (as opposed to Lynnabel's claim that it is).

I'm wondering if it depends on the ordering of the items in the loot table.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I once had a toon that took 80 runs of Reaver's Fate to get madstone boots.   All elite runs.  First 3 cracks at the 20th list didn't even get it done.  This is pre-bypass timers, so that was about 10 months of running that raid every 3-4 days.    

If we are sharing anecdotal stories of crappy loot luck.   Smiley

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:17am:
I once had a toon that took 80 runs of Reaver's Fate to get madstone boots.   All elite runs.  First 3 cracks at the 20th list didn't even get it done.  This is pre-bypass timers, so that was about 10 months of running that raid every 3-4 days.    

If we are sharing anecdotal stories of crappy loot luck.   Smiley

We are not sharing bad luck stories but discussing if there is an actual hidden factor when looting we're not aware of. Your experience comes from a very old pack that did not include the 10%N, 16%H, 33%E

I have posted the formula to calculate the chance that a given event will happen in X number of tries using independent rolls so it's not "my opinion" unless you can find an error in my calculations. It is not only my experience but many others that the 33% chance is down right false. Not that we can do anything about it except don't loot (aka not playing) but I didn't open this 3D to bitch about "I ran this so many times...."

EDIT
This gives me an idea...I'm going to start counting the exact number of runs it takes me in a given chain/quest to get a named without ransacking. The data will be of no use to reverse engineer anything but, on a large amount of tries, will totally confirm my suspicions (as if there was even a need).
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:49am by Artorias »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:52am
Print Post  
People have decompiled the code and looked at the loot tables. I'm sure if there were an x factor to named loot we would have heard about it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:08am
Print Post  
A guildie ran dq1 for 2 years, 3 times a day with 2 accs.

He never pulled a shard of spell storing ring.

He never came back to the game.

Dear players,

Love,

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:52am:
People have decompiled the code and looked at the loot tables. I'm sure if there were an x factor to named loot we would have heard about it.

That was Rodrak and that was also 8+ years ago.

Things could easily have changed since then.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:36am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:35am:
That was Rodrak and that was also 8+ years ago.

Things could easily have changed since then.

I don't think so, as they ( you know who ) won't come near loot tables ( at least old ones ) unless they really really really have no other choice.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint