Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hardcore League (Read 1639 times)
Humble Pie
Korthos Resident

Never settle.

Hardcore League
Jan 18th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
You are an executive in a large corporation.  You are good at your job.  You understand the corporate ladder, the education it requires, the sacrifices you must make to succeed.  And you are good, damn good.  You do (and did) whatever it takes to get ahead – night classes, internships with little or no pay, working late, weekends, anything to make your name and position one of the top in your company.  You have fired people for being incompetent, even when you might have personally given them a second chance.  A job in another state or country, perhaps not exactly what you really do – you signed up, gave it all.  And you flourished, succeeded beyond your wildest dreams.  You have respect, you do your job well, and you have earned your high pay and position.  Life is great.

Then you hear about something.  It takes place in Thailand, on the beach; it’s a 3 month gig.  You remember your pre-college days, when you took the summer off before school.  You spent it on that same beach in Thailand, found yourself, learned how to party, meet new people, and when your money ran out, you took the occasional odd job, to be able to stay the entire summer on that beach.  It wasn’t easy, but you were young, and memory is a funny thing.  You remember it as being the time of your life, no complications, no worries, learning, exploring, having fun!  You had the time of your life, and everything that you have done since has been built off those months you spent on that beach in Thailand. 

So this gig will take place on that magical place where life was uncomplicated and you were young and strong.  It promises a way to forget your current life, to give it all up and live life like a beach bum you were.  You can take nothing with you, you start afresh.  Even though you have worked hard (damn hard) to better yourself, to rise to the top in your field, in your corporation, you jump at the chance.  How simple life was then, how simple life will be now.  If only for a short while.

And it seemed fine. At least at first.  You have not had this much fun in years.  No responsibilities, no worries, no contact with your current life.  But none of your experience counted, none of your skills, none of those very things that you have spent years honing, improving.  Things were tough, and you found out that if you did not perform will, you would get deported from the beach, kicked off and forbidden to return. 

“We can help”, the beach managers promised.  “You cannot use your experience, but we will happily let you spend your money that you have earned.”  So you spent. And spent.  And spent some more.  You are important, a leader among leaders, have climbed the corporate ladder – surely a little spending is justified.  And a little more.  And even a bit more. 

Soon you realized that no matter what you spent, you could not equal the level that your current experience provided.  Still, it was fun. They said it was!  It had to be!

And before you knew it, the end was here.  It was time to go back to your former job, your friends, family, life.  They would understand that this was something you had to do.  And you had all the new friends you made on that beach, though many got deported and were never seen again.  But the beach list of the people that managed to remain would let all know how great you were!
You got back to your high level executive job, expecting everything to be the same.  But it wasn’t.  While you were on the beach, the rest of the Company moved on.  They continued to take the classes, the jobs, the internships that were required for advancement.  You got a colorful Power Tie from the beach, as kinda proof that you were there. Most of your colleagues either did not see it, or really did not know what it meant.   Nothing else from your stay came back with you, just memories..  When you attempt to explain, you realized that the experience only meant something on that Thailand beach, and that the rest of the world had moved on.  You are now behind the curve, have actually lost respect and importance at the Corporation that you work.  Your co-workers show little respect for you (even when you wear you Power Tie), perhaps realizing they had to pick up the slack while you were gone.

That list that showed how great you were on the beach was somewhere, but nobody back home really ever saw it.  They had their real lives to live. That was Beach Life.

You just found out that the same beach, in Thailand, is going to offer a new gig a little later this year.  And that they are gonna make it a bit tougher to stay, and even more expensive.  You wonder – was it worth it? 

Hardcore League.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Hardcore League
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:28am
Print Post  
If you had worked in the crack dealer outside Denny's that would have been perfect!

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Well said.  There were a number of lessons that could have been learned on how to booster sales through this little experiment.

Turbine, of course, didn't learn a single fucking one of them.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 5:06am
Print Post  
I re-read this in Dave Atell's "Jagermeister" bit voice and it got even better.

Well said.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I dont get this love about this HC shit

You can do everything in the regular servers like you do in the HC shit.

It is exactly the same crrap.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 8:18am
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 6:32am:
I dont get this love about this HC shit

You can do everything in the regular servers like you do in the HC shit.

It is exactly the same crrap.

You can, permadesthers have been doing it for years.  But there was always something off about that for a lot of players.  Which is why PD play was always niche.

without the rules being there for everyone, a lot of the gameplay results will be different or the feel will be different.   

You will start with nothing but everyone you group with will be over powered.  They will be rolling the dungeon while you pike. (Without a level 1 30% item you can’t keep up)

You will care about ran gen loot.  Nobody else will.  Your party will skip chests.  Recall out without looting or passing.    The ah will be empty.  When there are things, people will grab them for crafting essences. 

You will care about not dying.  Nobody else will.  So how a group plays will be totally different. 

The time limit adds energy. 

The rewards, even cosmetic, add energy. 

Doing an approximation on live is just going to be a lonely soloing affair.     Even with a static group of 6 it won’t have the same feel because the rest of the community is lacking.   

And lest we forget this is an mmo.  It is all about community and co-op play. 

Also, this is seen the same way a vacation is looked at for some players.  It’s a vacation to a beach in Thailand.   You just bring some sunscreen and a bathing suit and ugly shirts.   You hop off the treadmill and remember why you are doing all that stuff.  Regain the passion. 

You can do a staycation.   But it doesn’t have the same feel. 

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 8:18am:
You can, permadesthers have been doing it for years.  But there was always something off about that for a lot of players.  Which is why PD play was always niche.

without the rules being there for everyone, a lot of the gameplay results will be different or the feel will be different.   

You will start with nothing but everyone you group with will be over powered.  They will be rolling the dungeon while you pike. (Without a level 1 30% item you can’t keep up)

You will care about ran gen loot.  Nobody else will.  Your party will skip chests.  Recall out without looting or passing.    The ah will be empty.  When there are things, people will grab them for crafting essences. 

You will care about not dying.  Nobody else will.  So how a group plays will be totally different. 

The time limit adds energy. 

The rewards, even cosmetic, add energy. 

Doing an approximation on live is just going to be a lonely soloing affair.     Even with a static group of 6 it won’t have the same feel because the rest of the community is lacking.   

And lest we forget this is an mmo.  It is all about community and co-op play. 

Also, this is seen the same way a vacation is looked at for some players.  It’s a vacation to a beach in Thailand.   You just bring some sunscreen and a bathing suit and ugly shirts.   You hop off the treadmill and remember why you are doing all that stuff.  Regain the passion. 

You can do a staycation.   But it doesn’t have the same feel. 

That a lot of horse shit.

The reason ppl play HC is because theres less power creep.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:03am
Print Post  
2nd season HCL won't be as succesful, imo, if they don't make access easier than being ViP. I think the favor runners won't see any need in doing it again. As for the reaper people ... I can't wrap my head around that anyway. And the rewards are not that awesome anyway.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:01am:

You do know that everything you can buy in the store contributes to powercreep. And to have supreme tomes and racial and universal and what not on a 1st lifer is the bomb?!

If you want less powercreep you need to close the store. Everything else in an illusion.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:06am by Snu Snu »  

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I was excited about season 1. I have absolutely no interest in season 2.

I wish they would just do a progression server and dial back the P2W---but it looks like that's never going to happen.

So I stopped playing, and so long as there isn't more endgame content, I'm probably not coming back. Enjoy the lag and new broken class you digital addicts.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:16am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 10:23am
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:01am:
That a lot of horse shit.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.  Also your overly simplistic analysis is weaksauce.

The point that the poster I was quoting made was "you can avoid power creep on live, if you want".   My point was, yeah, but it's still not the same if you are the only one (or only a small group) is avoiding power creep.  Because you are both missing the point that it isn't just about less power creep.

"less power creep" at the start of the league is only one factor.  the time limit means that there is almost no value in grinding a lot of things you would normally grind.  Why grind crafting, or BtC loot, or sentients, or PL's or much of anything?   It becomes a much less grindy version of DDO as a result.    When time becomes a primary resource constraint, it alters the nature of how you spend it and what you focus on.  It is more fun because it starts with, and ends with, almost no power creep.   Unlike live where accessing more power creep (in the form of PL's and gear and such) is your primary motivation. 

Just saying "there is less power creep" is like saying the American Civil War was about slavery.  or that World War I was because of the death of Archduke Ferdinand.   

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 10:35am
Print Post  
You quotted my post you fucking moron.

You keep trying to defend that gay HC shit cos you are a fag that eat every shit turdbin sells.

And even the power creep can be at the same level in any server if the person choose to.

Dear players,

Love,

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Does anyone really read what they have posted?
All the complaints about not looting the very best items, the miserable drop rate and how DDO is TOO EASY, needing the devs to make stuff harder... yet has to cheat to get stuff.  Now those same people - who could be playing permadeath on the existing servers - are saying how great the hardcore server is!

The only thing you are missing is that (FORCED) leaderboard saying how AWESOME you are.  Then, that character can be transferred back to your original server (minus some stuff). Yet, you could have already played it without waiting for that shutdown period to transfer the character.

YOU ARE AWESOME!
See? you could get that on a free board and didn't have to pay to hear that!

No one wants to be suckerpunched, but damn it if someone starts charging for it and puts a bit of lipstick on it, you all want it.

Suckerpunches $5 Wow, that was awesome, can I get another? Sure I will pay!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint