Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) 2020 Producer's Letter (Read 5496 times)
NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

2020 Producer's Letter
Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
We are entering a new decade with grand plans for Dungeons & Dragons Online, and I am writing today to share some of our ideas with you. The past decade-plus has been an amazing adventure, and we thank you for being a part of it.

We're kicking off 2020 with a bit of polish and refresh to two of DDO's most historic adventure packs: The Catacombs and Delera's Tomb! Both of these adventures will get Epic versions in our next game update, which also features the previously-announced Alchemist class. The Alchemist mixes and matches spells to create powerful reactions that help allies and incinerate foes. Expect Update 45 to arrive in February!

Season One of the Hardcore League was met with enthusiasm and excitement, so we're making it a recurring event! In Season Two, Mortality will be replaced by DDO's classic foe Arraetrikos, who will empower new Champions with devilish powers. Expect future seasons to test your skill in how you build and play characters, in addition to new rewards! You will read more about these changes as we near future seasons.

2020 will also bring a long-standing community request to the game: a 64-bit client. The 64-bit client can improve the overall performance of the game for many, and we look forward to its release later this year. We also have user interface improvements planned for the Shared Account Bank to make it easier to store, sort, and access the items you've collected. Other quality of life improvements are in the planning stages as well, and we'll talk more about it later this year.

Spring will bring a new adventure pack set in Stormreach, where the Gatekeepers need your help to determine the fate of some missing acolytes in the Cerulean Hills, and investigate the sudden appearance of a strange hut in the Harbor. In the summer, we're considering a new adventure pack in addition to some Legendary versions of well-known raids, but we want to keep that unannounced for now.

As we gaze further into the second half of the year, we are thrilled to share news about our next expansion, which will see players travel into the mystical plane of the Feywild! Joining characters on their trip will be our next new player character race: the Shifter, capable of temporarily embracing their bestial aspects to rend enemies and survive. Another thing we can say today about our upcoming Feywild expansion is that you will need to learn new, powerful ways to overcome challenge, and doing so will gain you the experience necessary to push past level 30 for the first time in DDO history.

We have other surprises in store for 2020 as well, but the above is a high-level road map of our current schedule. As always, the road map can change, and we will endeavor to let you know how things are going as plans become realities. We are very thankful for your support of this game for more than a decade, and we are thrilled to embark on a new decade of adventure with you.

Sev~

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: 2020 Producer's Letter
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
So fucking weak. Ugh. And more grind.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
FUCK FUCK FUCK Fuckity fuck....

Breaking the level 30 wall they promised not too...

As if the dick in the pencil grinder isn't already bad enough with all the Pastlife farming you do extending that is a real hit in the nutsack.

Unless their 64bit client really fixes the games internal memory leaks and significantly helps with the lag another expansion without sufficient content in between is just too much.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Oh you thought you were done grinding?

Bless your heart.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:26pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:22pm:
Breaking the level 30 wall they promised not too...

Just think about the possibilities!  Legendary past lives.  Grin

The grind is real.

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:26pm:
Oh you thought you were done grinding?

Bless your heart.

Legendary TR hearts and Legendary Otto boxes. New in store 2020

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Cool stuff for this year

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:08pm:

ZERO doubt about it.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
You had me At 64 bit client.

Then lost me at level cap increase.   That is such a bad idea.   None of the level cap increases since going to 20 have been anything but a multi year disaster for end game.  All that equals is more grind, more power creep, fewer people speed over more levels (quoting bilbo: I feel like too little butter scraped over too much bread”.  That’s why going over level 30 feels like), and a new level cap with maybe 14-15  quests and two raids.   When we have how many at cap quests and raids now?   8 raids and 50-60 quests?   The worst part is that a level cap raise has never felt less needed or wanted. 

On the plus side shifters might be cool.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Hope so, I'm bored and need something to do.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:08pm:
we're considering a new adventure pack in addition to some Legendary versions of well-known raids, but we want to keep that unannounced for now.

It'll be interesting to see what classic raids they choose.

Another thing we can say today about our upcoming Feywild expansion is that you will need to learn new, powerful ways to overcome challenge, and doing so will gain you the experience necessary to push past level 30 for the first time in DDO history.

I would have assumed they learned from their past mistakes with constantly raising level caps.

If they increase the Feywild Expansion's power creep beyond that of the last two expansions then its Post-MotU disaster all over again.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Humble Pie
Korthos Resident

Never settle.

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
… and doing so will gain you the experience necessary to push past level 30 for the first time in DDO history.

Sev~

Just think, you will now get to use those level 29 and 30 weapons and gear until you reach level 35, where you will grind for another set of gear, that will last you until level 40!

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty excited for the details of how we can pay for this.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 6:08pm:

20 Heroic, 10 Epic, 5 Legendary for a total cap of 35 and about 4+ mill XP more to grind per life. Fuckity fuck!!!

IP Logged

Count Dante
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Sev: "We can restore DDO to its former glory."

DDO:

Grand wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:08am:
I'm a big believer in the old adage saw that you should never make a bet you can't afford to lose!

Welcher.

IP Logged

mog
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 1:51am
Print Post  
64 bit client to improve game performance?
What performance they are speaking???if they're talking about lag this is server problem if they're trying to convince me for fps performance and also convince themselves that they have a modern game with graphics with pcs can't play i want to inform those idiots that this potato can run even on a mobile if they port it, graphics is the same as 2006 and after 14 years took the decision to improve the performance???only problem with the performance can have modern pc with this is the many log in attempts but with more than 8gb ram this is also a history

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:11am
Print Post  
You know I was doing some math and pondering if they decide to keep the +50k/Epic level rate they have now you get some downright entertaining XP numbers.

31    1100k
32    1150k
33    1200k
34    1250k
35    1300k      14,250k

36    1350k
37    1400k
38    1450k
39    1500k
40    1550k      21,500k

41    1600k
42    1650k
43    1700k
44    1750k
45    1800k      30,000k

46    1850k
47    1900k
48    1950k
49    2000k
50    2050k      39,750k

I decided to do the math out to level 50 just to give myself a feel for the numbers and they really are NOT our friends if you even like alts. Given their average expansion tends to be 12 Quests and 2 Raids along with a Slayer zone just how much XP could an expansion give us? 

I did see a quote from Coco that they want the Epic Reincarnations to require no more XP but I just don't see it unless they are some other sort of XP tree progression and will that be some whole other set of tree's and feats to throw on to the pile? again with no real storage expansion just where the fuck are we supposed to put all the gear? I mean given they seem to want to make nearly everything BtA now you have 1 toon and 18 or 19 alts just used as bankers....

I really don't want to think of the math if they switch from 50k to +100k per level too since it will be "Legendary" levels

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Legendary raids:
  • ToD: This will be awesome as long as they make a new part 2.  Too much retread with KT otherwise.
  • VON: Hell yeah.  Epic Velah was hard af when it was released and felt great to win.
  • LoB: No thanks.  Got the highlight reel from KT.
  • Titan: Cool, I'll finally get to see this raid.
  • MA: Boring af.
  • VoD: Eh.  It's been so long since I ran it, might be nostalgic.
  • DQ: Always loved this preraid + raid but loathed the S/S/S system.
  • FoT: Do we really need a third version of Gianthold and a Stormreaver raid?
  • Chronoscope: Snoozefest, so there's a low bar to improve it greatly.

Other raids already have a legendary version, or a fairly recent epic version.  Fuck Ana and legendary CitW. 

Expect at least one new raid in U46, maybe two.

Feywild expansion $$$$:
  • Universal Enhancement Point Upgrade Tome +1 -> +2
  • +9 stat tomes
  • Iconic Shifter (Druid most likely)
  • Implied: legendary past lives.
  • Cannith crafting becomes even more useless at cap when ML34 is enforced on Level 30(34) shards.

Expect new expansions every 18 months from here on out. 

Level cap increase puts the Ethereal nerf into perspective.  It would have been absolutely retarded to have DEX-based characters with both Ethereal and Arborea.

So many forum paladins are whining about the level cap increase.  FFS, the last level increase was Dec 2015.  Five years is far behind the curve compared to long-lived MMOs like WoW and EverQuest.  Adding more legendary content without increasing the level cap makes no sense with the abundance of it today.

And no, all of your gear isn't going to be immediately invalidated.  You're going to use all that level 29 gear you've accumulated for the past three years to steamroll your way to level 34 or 35, then it will be invalidated.  You can easily get to level 34 or 35 doing the 60 quests you save for first time reaper XP at level 30 today. That doesn't account for the 12-16 new quests that are part of the expansion. 

64-bit client:
  • Holy shit we're finally getting 4K scaling of UI elements.
  • Modern version of DirectX.
  • Fix for the 14-year old memory leak when swapping characters.
  • Hopeful: Sentient swap lag will be addressed.
  • Plat auction house becomes more relevant.
  • Not holding my breath: Publish an API for UI customization.
  • Exciting new sources of client/server lag.
  • New undocumented features will lead to the Great Fingersnap Second Coming.

I might actually need to upgrade my 6 year old PC. 

Not mentioned:
  • Augment system revamp. According to SteelStar, no new augs are getting added to the game until the system is completely rewritten.  Apparently adding new augs to the existing system induces lag.
  • Class tree tweaks.  Sorcerers were supposedly going to have a few tweaks made with AP, but nothing major.
  • Bow revamp.  Some of this is getting fast tracked for U45 preview 2, but I'm not confident it will Make Bows Great Again after the huge range nerf.
  • Racial variants.  Supposedly we were going to see a variant last year (Underdark Drow was the most likely contender).
  •   

IP Logged

Artorias
    Shroud Slacker

Reply #18 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:09am
    Print Post  
    Quote from Cocomajobo

"We are quite a ways out from being prepared to announce specifics on our plans for character progression past level 30. What we are willing to say at this point, however, is that one of our goals is to NOT increase the amount of XP required to complete an Epic Reincarnation."

Meh, more adventure packs, races, expansion, etc. If anything ddo will last another year.

I'm totally cool with that

IP Logged

Nuic
    DQ Assaulter

OMEGALUL

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 8:24am
    Print Post  
    Carpone wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:19am:
    Legendary raids:
  • ToD: This will be awesome as long as they make a new part 2.  Too much retread with KT otherwise.
  • VON: Hell yeah.  Epic Velah was hard af when it was released and felt great to win.
  • LoB: No thanks.  Got the highlight reel from KT.
  • Titan: Cool, I'll finally get to see this raid.
  • MA: Boring af.
  • VoD: Eh.  It's been so long since I ran it, might be nostalgic.
  • DQ: Always loved this preraid + raid but loathed the S/S/S system.
  • FoT: Do we really need a third version of Gianthold and a Stormreaver raid?
  • Chronoscope: Snoozefest, so there's a low bar to improve it greatly.

Other raids already have a legendary version, or a fairly recent epic version.  Fuck Ana and legendary CitW. 

Expect at least one new raid in U46, maybe two.

• cough

titan

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
    Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:14am
    Print Post  
    In Season Two, Mortality will be replaced by DDO's classic foe Arraetrikos, who will empower new Champions with devilish powers.

So...not permadeath?

2020 will also bring a long-standing community request to the game: a 64-bit client.

That could be sweet.

We also have user interface improvements planned for the Shared Account Bank to make it easier to store, sort, and access the items you've collected.

Long overdue, but very welcome.

Spring will bring a new adventure pack set in Stormreach, where the Gatekeepers need your help to determine the fate of some missing acolytes in the Cerulean Hills, and investigate the sudden appearance of a strange hut in the Harbor.

That does not sound like a terribly interesting adventure pack...

In the summer, we're considering a new adventure pack in addition to some Legendary versions of well-known raids,

What's left to update? Titan? ToD?

As we gaze further into the second half of the year, we are thrilled to share news about our next expansion, which will see players travel into the mystical plane of the Feywild!

Ugh, more 5e nonsense.

Joining characters on their trip will be our next new player character race: the Shifter, capable of temporarily embracing their bestial aspects to rend enemies and survive.

Finally another Eberron race!

Shifter: (3.5 stats)

Shapechanger Subtype: Shifters are humanoids
    with the shapechanger subtype.
    • +2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma: Shifters
    are lithe and agile, but their fundamental bestial
    nature detracts from both their reasoning ability
    and their social interaction.
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, shifters have no
    special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Shifter base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Shifting (Su): A shifter can tap into his
    lycanthropic heritage to gain short bursts of
    physical power. Once per day, a shifter can
    enter a state that is superficially similar to a
    barbarian’s rage. Each shifter has one of ten
    shifter traits—characteristics that manifest
    themselves when a character is shifting. Each
    shifter trait typically provides a +2 bonus to
    one of the character’s physical ability scores
    (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution) and
    grants some other advantage as well. Shifter
    traits are described in the following section.
    Shifting is a free action and lasts for a
    number of rounds equal to 3 + the shifter’s
    Constitution modifier. (If a shifter trait or
    other effect increases the character’s Constitution
    modifier, use the newly improved modifier.) A
    shifter can take feats to improve this ability. These
    shifter feats are described in Chapter 3 of the EBERRON
    Campaign Setting.
    Every shifter feat a character takes increases
    the duration of his shifting by 1 round. For every
    two shifter feats a character takes, the number of
    times per day he can tap into the ability increases
    by one. So, a character with two shifter feats can
    shift two times per day (instead of the usual one),
    and each use of the ability lasts for a number of
    rounds equal to 5 (instead of 3) + the shifter’s
    Con modifier.
    Shifting, though related to and developed from
    lycanthropy, is neither an affliction nor a curse.
    It is not passed on by bite or claw attacks, and a
    shifter can’t be cured—shifting is a natural ability
    for the race.
    • Low-Light Vision: Shifters can see twice as far as
    a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and
    similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain
    the ability to distinguish color and detail under
    these conditions.
    • +2 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Jump checks:
    A shifter’s animalistic heritage enhances many of his
    physical skills.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages:
    Elven, Gnome, Halfling, and Sylvan.
    • Favored Class: Ranger. A multiclass shifter’s ranger
    class does not count when determining whether he
    takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

SHIFTER TRAITS
    Each shifter has one of the following special traits,
    which is selected when a character is created and
    cannot be changed thereafter. Traits marked with an
    asterisk (*) are introduced in this book.
    Beasthide (Su): While shifting, a beasthide shifter
    gains a +2 bonus to Constitution and natural armor
    that provides a +2 bonus to AC.
    Cliffwalk (Su): While shifting, a cliffwalk shifter
    gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity and has a climb speed
    of 20 feet.
    Dreamsight* (Su): The dreamsight trait is the rarest
    of all shifter traits, and many dreamsight shifters
    become druids within shifter communities. Unlike
    other shifter traits, which increase a shifter’s physical
    abilities, the dreamsight trait sharpens a shifter’s
    instincts and awareness. While shifting, a dreamsight
    shifter temporarily gains a +2 bonus to Wisdom and
    gains the ability to communicate with animals as if
    under the effect of a speak with animals spell.
    In addition, the shifter gains a +2 bonus on Handle
    Animal and wild empathy checks, even while not
    shifting.
    Gorebrute* (Su): While shifting, a gorebrute shifter
    temporarily gains a +2 bonus to Strength and manifests
    powerful horns that can be used as a natural weapon,
    but only during a charge attack. (The horns are too
    awkward to use as a natural weapon in any circumstance
    other than a charge.) If a gorebrute shifter uses
    his horns in a charge attack, the horns function as a
    natural weapon, dealing 2d6 points of damage (plus an
    extra 1 point for every four character levels he has). A
    gorebrute shifter can’t combine a charge attack with his
    horns with any other attack, even if he has the ability
    to make more than one attack as part of a charge (such
    as from the pounce ability).
    Longstride (Su): While shifting, a longstride shifter
    gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity and a bonus of +10 feet
    to his base land speed.
    Longtooth (Su): While shifting, a longtooth shifter
    gains a +2 bonus to Strength and grows fangs that can
    be used as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 points of
    damage (plus an extra 1 point for every four character
    levels he has) with a successful bite attack. He cannot
    attack more than once per round with his bite, even
    if his base attack bonus is high enough to give him
    multiple attacks. He can use his bite as a secondary
    attack (taking a –5 penalty on his attack roll) while
    wielding a weapon.
    Razorclaw (Su): While shifting, a razorclaw shifter
    gains a +2 bonus to Strength and grows claws that
    can be used as natural weapons. These claws deal 1d4
    points of damage (plus an extra 1 point for every four
    character levels he has) with each successful attack. He
    can attack with one claw as a standard action or with
    two claws as a full attack action (as a primary natural
    weapon). He cannot attack more than once per round
    with a single claw, even if his base attack bonus is high
    enough to give him multiple attacks. He can attack
    with a claw as a light off-hand weapon while wielding
    a weapon in his primary hand, but all his attacks in
    that round take a –2 penalty.
    Swiftwing* (Su): While shifting, a swiftwing
    shifter temporarily gains
    a +2 bonus to Dexterity.
    His arms grow leathery
    fl aps of skin (similar
    to a bat’s wings),
    which grant him a
    fl y speed of 20 feet
    (average maneuverability).
    While airborne, the
    shifter can’t use his hands
    for anything other than fl ying,
    though he can still
    hold or carry objects.
    A shifter can’t
    f ly while carrying
    a medium or
    heavy load or while
    wearing medium or
    heavy armor.
    Truedive* (Su): While
    shifting, a truedive
    shifter temporarily
    gains a +2 bonus
    to Constitution and a
    swim speed of 30 feet.
    Gaining a swim speed grants
    him a +8 racial bonus on
    Swim checks.
    In addition, the shifter can hold his breath for a
    number of rounds equal to 5 × his Constitution score
    before he risks drowning. A truedive shifter gains
    this benefi t even when he isn’t shifting.
    Wildhunt (Su): While shifting, a wild hunt shifter
    temporarily gains a +2 bonus to Constitution and
    the scent ability. This ability allows the shifter
    to detect approaching creatures, sniff out hidden
    creatures, and track by sense of smell. A wild hunt
    shifter can identify familiar odors just as a human
    does familiar sights.
    A wildhunt shifter can detect creatures within
    30 feet by sense of smell. If the creature is upwind,
    the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops
    to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting
    garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted
    above.
    Overpowering
    scents, such
    as skunk musk or
    troglodyte stench, can
    be detected at triple normal
    range. These stronger
    scents block other scents, so
    they can sometimes be used
    to confuse or hamper this
    shifter trait.
    When a wildhunt shifter
    detects a scent, the exact
    location of the source isn’t
    revealed—only its presence
    somewhere within range.
    The shifter
    can take a
    move action
    to note
    the direction
    of the
    scent. Whenever
    the shifter
    comes within
    5 feet of
    the source,
    he pinpoints the
    source’s location.
    While shifting,
    a wildhunt shifter
    who has the Track feat can follow
    tracks by smell, making
    Survival checks to find or follow
    a trail. The typical DC for
    a fresh trail is 10 (regardless of
    the surface that holds the scent). This DC increases
    or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s
    odor is, the number of creatures producing the
    odor, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the
    trail grows cold, the DC increases by 2. This ability
    other wise follows the rules for the Track feat. Shifters
    tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface
    conditions and poor visibility.
    When not shifting, a wildhunt shifter gains a +2
    bonus on Survival checks due to the lingering effects
    of the scent ability.

and doing so will gain you the experience necessary to push past level 30 for the first time in DDO history.

DO NOT WANT.
    « Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:16am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
    Endgame Gear Guide
    Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
    Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
    nice things.

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:33am
    Print Post  
    Carpone wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:19am:
    So many forum paladins are whining about the level cap increase.  FFS, the last level increase was Dec 2015.  Five years is far behind the curve compared to long-lived MMOs like WoW and EverQuest.  Adding more legendary content without increasing the level cap makes no sense with the abundance of it today.

This is true if you want DDO to be the same as random MMO X just with Ebberson/FR words on the map and being able to meet Elminster.

But I'd argue that lane is crowded and moving closer to WoW and EQ and Guild Wars and NWO is not a path to success.   They should go a different path.  One that differentiates them.  Not one that makes them the same.   

Stay true to the D&D roots, not branch further away than they already have.   Honestly, the more you move towards MMO X, the less I want to play.   The more the game continues to focus on single character development ad nauseum, the more boring the game becomes.   I get that there are players that disagree.   That's fine.   But I preferred the game at 16 cap and 20 cap when you could legit finish progression on one character and work on others and have multiple characters.   I've ran Keep on the Borderlands in PnP dozens of times.  With fighters, rogues, wizards, clerics, etc.   Doing that is more fun than running it dozens of times with the exact same character, just with an extra +1 to something.  The further and further DDO gets from that experience, the less interesting it is.  I understand that they can't serve me and serve the players who want to always "have something to do" on only one character and never alt despite playing the game 40-60 hours per week. 

DDO is a niche MMO that can be profitable and succssful within that space.   It's not going to be WoW or EQ or EVE.   But by trying, they may be losing what makes their niche special and viable.  And still not drag any eyeballs or $$ from those other MMO's.

There are ways to build progression systems at Level 30 without actually raising the level cap.   But, at the end of the day, they need to ask "how much single character progression do we really want to have long term and at what pace do we want to move there"?

Because you argue that the 5 years has had no level cap raise.  But in 5 years we did get 36 racial PLs, 3 more class PL's (in U45), 9 more iconic PL's, 12 more Epic PL's, and Reaper XP with 15,000,000 to max out all trees (or 5,6 million to get the wings).

It's not like it has been 5 years without character progression options.   36 Racial PL's, 12 more Epic PL's, and Reaper XP are each equivalent to a level cap raise in terms of the effort on a single character progression.   

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
    Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 10:27am
    Print Post  
    Artorias wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:09am:
    Quote from Cocomajobo

"We are quite a ways out from being prepared to announce specifics on our plans for character progression past level 30. What we are willing to say at this point, however, is that one of our goals is to NOT increase the amount of XP required to complete an Epic Reincarnation."

Meh, more adventure packs, races, expansion, etc. If anything ddo will last another year.

I'm totally cool with that

Because we'll probably get Legendary Levels. With Legendary Reincarnation, Legendary Ottos, higher tomes and everything they can possibly sell. So Coco is technically not lying but they are going to add XP. It's just a given.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
    Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 12:04pm
    Print Post  
    I'm at least glad they figured out that they could milk even more money from the people with subscriptions if most content was "Expansions" and not just adventure packs.
    Now they churn one out every year!

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Distributed
    Abbot Raider

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 12:59pm
    Print Post  
    Bah more races. Was almost done with those too. Guess I’ll keep the sorc gear sets around for later.

Least they surprisingly thought of not fucking up the exp needed to eTR...unlike last time.

Could be interesting to play around with multiple legendary feats and, though not particularly excited, more raids available at end game could be good. Except they’ll probably invalidate current ones since that’s the only way they do things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
    Send TopicPrint