Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) 2020 Producer's Letter (Read 5522 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: 2020 Producer's Letter
Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I'd rather they add races or universal trees than classes.  Classes seem to be much more difficult to balance.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 1:11pm:
I'd rather they add races or universal trees than classes.  Classes seem to be much more difficult to balance. 

While I agree with you. I'd be pissed if they added Kalashtar to finish off the Eberron cores and we didn't get psionics.

They really must be struggling from a coding perspective if they're still putting Psionics off after Sev had his little fling with a Githyanki expansion.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 6:31am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:39pm:
While I agree with you. I'd be pissed if they added Kalashtar to finish off the Eberron cores and we didn't get psionics.

They really must be struggling from a coding perspective if they're still putting Psionics off after Sev had his little fling with a Githyanki expansion.

Copy/paste is the best coding they can do.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:39pm:

I'd like to see Kalashtar in game since they are a core Eberron thing. But it wouldn't make sense without some sort of psionic class. The problem with introducing Psion as a class is that there isn't much room for a niche between Wiz, Sorc, and Lock. The biggest difference in P&P was a point system instead of spell slots, but the is the default for DDO. Otherwise you just have similar effects with different names and animations and call them powers instead of spells. There's not even interesting prestige classes to mine for enhancement trees.

Psionic Warrior is probably more feasible.

Really a Psionic expansion pack wouldn't be a terrible idea considering the effort it would take to introduce psionics. You could introduce Kalashtar, Gith, Psion, Psionic Warrior, maybe even Wilder at the same time. As well as some quests and raids in Sarlona.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2020 at 9:37am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:33am:
There are ways to build progression systems at Level 30 without actually raising the level cap.

Like they did when level 20 was the cap?

DDO doesn't need yet another level 30 expansion with slightly inflated stats with new and unexciting ways to play gear tetris.  Everything they're doing has been done before in the game, so none of this is unexpected. The game is and will continue to be a never-ending treadmill.

Let's look ahead:
2020 Nov: Level 35 + Feywild expansion with equivalent epic destiny advancement system.
2022 May: Expansion #2 at level 35.
2023 Nov: Level 40 + Expansion.  Legendary past lives introduced.
2025 May: Expansion #2 at level 40.

Expansions are the future for SSG.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
More than 30 lvls, wow, thanks for that. I mean grinding 8.2 million under current cicrumstances after the optional xp castration will be more fun.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #31 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:02pm:

DDO doesn't need yet another level 30 expansion with slightly inflated stats with new and unexciting ways to play gear tetris.  Everything they're doing has been done before in the game, so none of this is unexpected. The game is and will continue to be a never-ending treadmill.

Let's look ahead:
2020 Nov: Level 35 + Feywild expansion with equivalent epic destiny advancement system.

Yes and they most likely introduce the brand new idea of....wait for it....wait for it:

Legendary Past Lives

Tho it would most likely only grant bonuses at lvl 20+.

EDIT: I am pretty sure they will be "merciful" and revamp the epic xp milestones, so you "only" have to gather 2-3 mill more xp
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:43pm by m4lacka »  

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #32 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:21pm
Print Post  

Let's look ahead:

The expansions are the future.  The level cap raises do not need to be a part of that.

Most games do go 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 levels.   This game chose to go 20, TR, 24, 28, ETR, ITR, 30, RTR, Reaper.   after doing all of that, now you want to also raise the level cap too?   That ends up being MORE of a grind by far than the other games that just have level caps.   

It is:

A)  Unnecessary.  The reaper xp system is an example of a progression system that can be added without increasing the level cap.   Increasing the level cap is not the only way to add progression, clearly.   

B)  a huge problem in a game that has a heavy TR mechanic.   Other games can do level cap raises like mad because each character only traverses them once.  You go from 1 to cap and then stay there.   If they add 5 or 10 levels, then you get them.  Once.   But all the characters at 30 when the cap goes to 35 or 40 do it at roughly the same tiem.   With this system, when you add levels, you don't just walk it once.  You walk it over and over and over again.  Magnifying the impact of every level added.   And, in those games, adding more levels doesn't really spread out the end game players.  But in this game, with them spread out in heroics, epics, and now, possibly, in legendary levels, you have a much larger impact on grouping that doesn't exist when other games raise the level cap.

Level cap raises are just not as good an idea as they would be in other games both from a D&D lore perspective and from a game systems perspective because of the investment in alternative progression systems.   

Just because WoW and EQ and NWO do it, doesn't make it smart for DDO to do it.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:21pm:
after doing all of that, now you want to also raise the level cap too?

You misunderstand me.  I'm not advocating for these changes, nor am I an SSG sycophant.  I simply accept the game for what it is. Expansions releasing every 18 months is to be expected now that SSG has established a pattern of behavior.  The rest is just extrapolation.

I think reaper is fantastic.  It's the primary reason I came back for Ravenloft after a three year hiatus.  I left the game because it became stagnant.  When soloing elite raids and doing elite raid speedruns were the only achievements to do, and there was little risk of dying, the game became boring.

Your observation about thinning out the players even further due to increased levels is spot on. 

IP Logged

C Troll
Korthos Resident

Fuck Off

Reply #34 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I told em +3 was the magic square

So 33

Even pushed it right before the letter

We’ll see what happens
I expect hangings...

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #35 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 9:28pm
Print Post  

I 100% agree but there's some issues with DDO when it comes to expansions or added grind systems.

The Issues:
  • Character power that doesnt get reset with the release of a new expansion.
  • Invalidating past content without introducing enough new content.
  • Splitting the small player base between heroic, epic, and now legendary levels. 

Inheritable character power without introducing catch-up mechanics is probably one of the biggest issues with DDO. It puts a massive distance between casuals and hardcore players (or noob vs veteran). Splitting the small playerbase between even more content and levels. Invalidating potentially years of endgame content without introducing enough new content.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #36 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
We need a level squish.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #37 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:19am:
So many forum paladins are whining about the level cap increase.  FFS, the last level increase was Dec 2015.  Five years is far behind the curve compared to long-lived MMOs like WoW and EverQuest.  Adding more legendary content without increasing the level cap makes no sense with the abundance of it today.

Besides the promise not to go above that level, ever?

DDO is not WOW.  They put in the stupid ranks to compare with WOW levels (Look, we have 5 times the levels now to compare to WOW! We is awesum devs!)

They are idiots when they try to directly compete with other MMOs instead of concentrating on the uniqueness of the D&D license. 

Yay to the shifter! Congrats to the one dev who finally said "holy fuck, we have been nerfing so hard that we forgot some of the original Eberron races that we promised"... 15 FUCKING years ago!

Yet, HERO (1-20 TR train), EPIC (20-30 TR train), LEGENDARY (30-? TR train) does give room for people to spend money on LEGENDARY Hearts and XP STONES to be the best... But there is no leaderboard so they can prance around on their white pony saying how awesome they are.  I guess they have to wait for Hardcore to get their epeen recognized.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 12:29am:
Besides the promise not to go above that level, ever?

Did they pinky swear? 

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Is that when Cordo takes Sev's tiny cock in his ass?

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Heh more levels? Happy to have quitted last year before investing more time in this game.

This is another U14 disaster. Since MotU there was no endgame, so everyone just did TR, until it started having some lv 25 content with egh...

Then they raise the cap with shadowfail and when lv 28 was cap the game was at it's worse, that had to come togheter with iconic and epic past lives, so that was the endgame and everyone just did that.

Just when we were starting to have more level cap content at 28, they raised the cap to 30, and again there was no endgame.

So they added racial past lives and reaper trees so everyone was grindind just that.

Now that we finally had some stabilished lv 30 content and some endgame, they raise the cap again, so that we have no endgame again. Guess this will never end. Where is my classic server?

Asheras wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:21pm:
 after doing all of that, now you want to also raise the level cap too?   That ends up being MORE of a grind by far than the other games that just have level caps.   

B)  a huge problem in a game that has a heavy TR mechanic.   Other games can do level cap raises like mad because each character only traverses them once.  You go from 1 to cap and then stay there.   If they add 5 or 10 levels, then you get them.  Once.   But all the characters at 30 when the cap goes to 35 or 40 do it at roughly the same tiem.   With this system, when you add levels, you don't just walk it once.  You walk it over and over and over again.  Magnifying the impact of every level added.   And, in those games, adding more levels doesn't really spread out the end game players.  But in this game, with them spread out in heroics, epics, and now, possibly, in legendary levels, you have a much larger impact on grouping that doesn't exist when other games raise the level cap.

Level cap raises are just not as good an idea as they would be in other games both from a D&D lore perspective and from a game systems perspective because of the investment in alternative progression systems.   

Just because WoW and EQ and NWO do it, doesn't make it smart for DDO to do it.

This. First time I think I agree with Asheras. DDO should not do the same tatics as other MMOs, because than it'll become just another MMO.

But actually I'd rather have it like any other MMO when it comes to level progression: if they raised lv cap more often, but got rid of all TR systems, except maybe heroic TR (without the benefits) for those who want to revisit the content, and add a system to change the build without TRing or using a +20 heart.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:19pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 8:50am:
Is that when Cordo takes Sev's tiny cock in his ass?

That is when tolero pegs them in a 3 way

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #42 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:36pm:
That is when tolero pegs them in a 3 way

Smiley

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #43 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 1:44pm:
Smiley

I strongly disagree.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #44 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
the doggo is steel right?

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:12pm:
the doggo is steel right?

The doggo doesn't have a crossbow in its paws, so no. Steel's probably taking the picture.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Best thing about Producers letter is the stupidity it is inspiring on the mobos.
I am enjoying Yamani's recent work!

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #47 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 10:12pm:
Best thing about Producers letter is the stupidity it is inspiring on the mobos.
I am enjoying Yamani's recent work!

Fucking tell me about it! Everybody has lost their shit over it and then some! It's hilarious!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint