Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) SSG Community Meetup (Read 8037 times)
LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: SSG Community Meetup
Reply #50 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Feb 24th, 2020 at 5:35pm:
I was with you until you started crying about self healing in reaper like a whiny cunt.

Self heal penalties in reaper does nothing good to the game but hurt few classes that are already not even the "top tier".
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2020 at 8:08pm by LagMonsterrrrrr »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #51 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I was with you until you started crying about self healing in reaper like a whiny cunt.

He be a typical noob that doesn't know how to self-heal on clerics and fvs on R10s. LOL.

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 3:44pm
Print Post  

I know how to self heal, the issue is taking it to the next level, you know to where it is actually useful in Reaper above R3.  Requires you sock puppets to drag my sorry worthless fucking cleric for anything other than healing through a couple hundred quests earning RXP and more importantly the appropriate gear on an alt.  All the while listening to the sorry ass Warlock with 564 HP bitching he can't stay alive and the Troll wannabe screaming Healz I need more Healz.   Con still isn't a f'ing dump stat for either of you a'hole.   
Real Fun.   Let me stick a finger in my left eye too.   
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2020 at 4:37pm by hyplo »  

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #53 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Feb 21st, 2020 at 9:07am:
The 1st obvious part was that the only real way to save the game (and the smartest move) would be to move towards DDO2.  The same game with a newer, updated engine and graphics.  While a real investor with a clue might be harder to find to finance it (mostly because a savvy investor is going to investigate the team/company before hand), with the right kind of PR this type of thing can happen on kickstarter where they can milk the whales and boomers and gen-xers with nostalgia hard-ons.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this recently. I think the only feasible way to save DDO is for a group of players reverse engineering DDO and creating a 'DDO Classic+' server. Set to Update 13, obvious bug and lag fixes, QoL improvements, balance changes, slightly reducing grind, and porting in content like Epic 3bc and Epic Gianthold. Essentially creating the best version of Pre-MotU DDO. Also no DDO Store since its player made. This is obviously a huge undertaking and will probably never happen but a private server is certainly more realistic than DDO 2.0.   

DDO 2.0 would never happen. The MMORPG genre is dying. Modern digital attention spans are getting shorter. Investors would never approve the project. Especially since Neverwinter is a thing. Kickstarter wouldnt produce much either. Anyone remember that Pathfinder Online kickstarter? Yeah..

Edit: Also if DDO 2.0 does happen it will have to be monetized. Which will lead to what happened in DDO.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:33am by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #54 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:14am:
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this recently. I think the only feasible way to save DDO is for a group of players reverse engineering DDO and creating a 'DDO Classic+' server. Set to Update 13, obvious bug and lag fixes, QoL improvements, balance changes, slightly reducing grind, and porting in content like Epic 3bc and Epic Gianthold. Essentially creating the best version of Pre-MotU DDO. Also no DDO Store since its player made. This is obviously a huge undertaking and will probably never happen but a private server is certainly more realistic than DDO 2.0.   

DDO 2.0 would never happen. The MMORPG genre is dying. Modern digital attention spans are getting shorter. Investors would never approve the project. Especially since Neverwinter is a thing. Kickstarter wouldnt produce much either. Anyone remember that Pathfinder Online kickstarter? Yeah..

Edit: Also if DDO 2.0 does happen it will have to be monetized. Which will lead to what happened in DDO. 

To be fair, Pathfinder crippled itself with non-consensual PvP early on. Nobody (except elitist pricks) wants to play a game where elitist pricks can gank noobs who can't escape, and GW's answer was "well, stay in town". They crashed and burned because they were insufferable ass holes, not because a small indie MMORPG is a bad idea.

The stellar performance of the second OwlCat game on Kickstarter ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteo... ) proves there is still demand for games requiring longer attention span than Candy Crush, and that they can be crowd funded. They're sitting on $1.3m with nearly 2 weeks still to go.

A player made game could be great, but SSG would be crazy to release anything to players, and fans would be crazy to invest significant work in a project that would be a prime target for a copyright take down.

I'm not saying a player made game is a bad idea, just that basing it on reverse engineering DDO is too risky. A new game based on OGL rules using an off the shelf engine like Godot or Unreal would stand a much better chance of success. Those threads used to pop up on the mother boards periodically and get flamed out by fanbois afraid of losing their captive playmates to a game where they can't give Cordo a rimjob to secure preferential treatment.

I think it would be a popular thread if you started a thought experiment about a player made game. It might even help some future organizer trying to put such a project together.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #55 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
DDO 2.0 could eventually happen as a support game for D&D The Movie... If Wizards and whomever is making the movie agree to use that as a mean of promotion.

But without a general media event ( like a movie release ) there's no way it's going to happen.  There's already DDO and Neverwinter as MMO in that corner of the MMO scene, a third one won't attract enough people if it doesn't have a mainstream attention grabber pushing behind.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:14am:

We dont need all of it, we just need to nuke the fucking power creep from orbit.

+22 stat shit is retarded, but turdbin is never going to solve it.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #57 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 12:52pm:
A player made game could be great, but SSG would be crazy to release anything to players, and fans would be crazy to invest significant work in a project that would be a prime target for a copyright take down.

It would have to be a passion project for sure. Risky but from what I've seen its possible to evade take downs. Private servers like SWG EMU/Legends, all of the WoW private servers. DDO would have to die before any server could go up.

Flav wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:26pm:
But without a general media event ( like a movie release ) there's no way it's going to happen.  There's already DDO and Neverwinter as MMO in that corner of the MMO scene, a third one won't attract enough people if it doesn't have a mainstream attention grabber pushing behind.

DDO would have to be axed or already dead before they released DDO 2.0 so the two games couldnt compete with each other. Similar to what happened with Star Wars Galaxies when SWTOR released.

LagMonsterrrrrr wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:49pm:
We dont need all of it, we just need to nuke the fucking power creep from orbit.

+22 stat shit is retarded, but turdbin is never going to solve it.

I agree +22 stats is pretty fucked. A stat squish is possible but would require some work. You could cut all the stats in half and just double the bonuses you get from them (or something along that line).

It would most likely be too much work and would probably trigger players. Also do they even have the technology to retroactively change all the items over an update? They used to always make you use the Stone of Change to update items.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #58 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 5:26pm:
DDO would have to be axed or already dead before they released DDO 2.0 so the two games couldnt compete with each other. Similar to what happened with Star Wars Galaxies when SWTOR released.

I agree and since there's no rumor ( beyond the normal ones ) of DDO impending death, I can safely assume that DDO 2.0 will not happen.

After all I was in the middle of the Iron Crown Enterprise axing just before the release of the Lord of the Rings movies so that Tolkien Enterprise ( aka Middle Earth Enterprise, aka Saul Zaentz [ which by the way has no tie with the Tolkien Familly and JRRT Estate ] ) could cut the license in small chunks [ ICE basically had a very open license... the only thing they couldn't do was computer games for all the rest it was open bar ] that brought back more money.
( and especially since ICE had also cut a deal with Christopher Tolkien so they could use more than just The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #59 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 9:45am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Feb 23rd, 2020 at 8:56pm:
This is what has killed the game for me.

Oh no, you don't play anymore?

fuck outta here

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint