Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Alchemist - why no one talking? (Read 3606 times)
goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Alchemist - why no one talking?
Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Just finished 36 warlock blood lives and had to do a alchemist to get completionist back and was dreading it. But acid alchemist caster is doing great, seems like there must be some good possibility here. Anyone have good builds etc?

Seems like enlarge should be great
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:26am by goldgolem »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Re: Alchemist - why no one talking?
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I'm doing a throwing alchemist because I want to do a throwing life and see how it feels.

It sucks so bad. So very bad.  HOLY FUCK IT SUCKS SO BAD.

So for now, I've given up on throwing and I'm an Acid nuking Warlock (edit - I mean Alchemist. What the hell? I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that) with zero metamagic feats because it's all throwing feats and it is a lot better than it was with throwing. Once I hit 20, I'll try the throwing again and see if it's substantially better in Epic.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:30pm by NOTpopejubal »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Caster alchemy was fine, I just prefer wizzy

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
ok that was a short honeymoon, i now fucking hate the throwing mechanic

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I've not played them besides to get the PL.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Throwing was terrible.

Inquisitive was okay-ish.

Caster is actually quite decent and could be better if I wasn't doing iconics on it. Having double Multivial from pure 20 would be nice. The run speed though, barb + verdanite + sprint boost is hot. Almost like riding a horse inside quests.

All opinions based on an iconic past life farming goal. Did not bother getting a level 29 gearset for throwing or inquisitive. I might on caster though since it's turning out good and will stick to it through the rest of my iconics.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:29pm:
Throwing was terrible.

Inquisitive was okay-ish.

Caster is actually quite decent and could be better if I wasn't doing iconics on it. Having double Multivial from pure 20 would be nice. The run speed though, barb + verdanite + sprint boost is hot. Almost like riding a horse inside quests.

All opinions based on an iconic past life farming goal. Did not bother getting a level 29 gearset for throwing or inquisitive. I might on caster though since it's turning out good and will stick to it through the rest of my iconics.

How were you staying Verdanite reaction with offensive casting?  Or was that for throwing/inquisitive?

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Alchy nuker is slightly better than wizard nuker but burns through sp about as fast as a sorc. It’s a shitty compromise that didn’t need to happen. Sorcs do more dps, and wizards do better insta-kills.

I am finding that alchy can heal very efficiently, with even the sla fully meta costing just 4 sp a toss and it’s an aoe.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:33pm:
How were you staying Verdanite reaction with offensive casting?  Or was that for throwing/inquisitive?

Oh I’m not saying it’s permanent but I do try to stay in it as much as possible to move from one fight to the next.

Also tend to pull large packs so usually running past a few before blasting them so more time in verdanite. Anything to make completions faster. Syncs well with sprint boost too since it initiates the blue component and then just follow up with a throwaway yellow and zoom.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:18am
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Feb 26th, 2020 at 6:46pm:
Alchy nuker is slightly better than wizard nuker but burns through sp about as fast as a sorc. It’s a shitty compromise that didn’t need to happen. Sorcs do more dps, and wizards do better insta-kills.

I am finding that alchy can heal very efficiently, with even the sla fully meta costing just 4 sp a toss and it’s an aoe.

How were you burning through SP that quickly? Granted I'll admit I had 3 otto's boxes saved for the occasion so all I played of the class was 18-20 three times in a row.

There were plenty of SLAs to use for damage. Harm SLA is surprisingly good damage on an alch compared to using it as a nuke as a dark disciple death domained cleric.

Although I'll admit the real shining nuke spot comes from the multivial SLA capstone.

But even when pissing away SP on CC, I never felt like I was in danger of running out while casting normal multivial decked out in metas.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Just requires a bit of gameplay adaptation.

Sorc can get away with blasting every single mob in sight but need to be a little more conservative on an alchemist.

Kinda like playing a wizard. Pull bigger groups, more SLAs less regular spells, wait for multivial to cooldown if needed instead of throwing other regular spells, etc.

Little things that add up quick but it’s not that far from sorc in the end.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I'm having a different experience.  Finding thrower quite strong. 

Sure, all throwers are weak early and scale hard.  Same here, however at level 13 I am sailing through solo R3 quests as I level with little problem.  Right now I am a bit slower than Inquisitive but not by much.

The key is to realize you are a gish.  AoE spells for CC, save your big doubleshot buffs for big bads like reapers.  At 13 with Multishot and tier 5 Vistani 100 double strike going i'm getting 4 to 5 daggers per throw.  That's enough to take out Reapers quick.

Int is at 52 right now and I can see even better scaling in the near future.  Level 18 Alch core should be a big boost to dps.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
One thing that helps with Multivial is knowing that nothing actually buffs it aside from Spell Power and Crit Chance bonuses because all of the +Caster Level gets fucked over by the max caster level 10 and all of the +Max Caster Level bonuses don't work on it. So you can save all those AP for actual useful trees.

IP Logged

newalchemist
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 28th, 2020 at 3:48pm:
One thing that helps with Multivial is knowing that nothing actually buffs it aside from Spell Power and Crit Chance bonuses because all of the +Caster Level gets fucked over by the max caster level 10 and all of the +Max Caster Level bonuses don't work on it. So you can save all those AP for actual useful trees.

Is that even true, you're saying that I would be even more powerful?

Alchemist is powerful as fuck, easy up there with sorc as wiz, sorc beats it wiz might not.

Throwing money into SSG's pocket using boxes like that is fucking weird just play the new class.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
newalchemist wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 1:37pm:
Is that even true, you're saying that I would be even more powerful?

Alchemist is powerful as fuck, easy up there with sorc as wiz, sorc beats it wiz might not.

Throwing money into SSG's pocket using boxes like that is fucking weird just play the new class.

AP spent in Bombardier isn’t totally wasted, but it is mostly wasted.

None of the + caster level or + max caster level stuff actually does anything for you, so you might as well just use Vile Chemist + Vistani + Apothecary to get Vial nuking plus dagger throwing together. Then you can nuke things and pew pew to kill the stragglers. Or Inquisitive plus Vile Chemist plus Apothecary with the same idea. You’re not actually giving up any meaningful damage with your nuking when you pick up another attack style on top of it.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #15 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 1:51pm:

None of the + caster level or + max caster level stuff actually does anything for you, so you might as well just use Vile Chemist + Vistani + Apothecary to get Vial nuking plus dagger throwing together. Then you can nuke things and pew pew to kill the stragglers. Or Inquisitive plus Vile Chemist plus Apothecary with the same idea. You’re not actually giving up any meaningful damage with your nuking when you pick up another attack style on top of it.

Dragon Spell Knowledge seemed to make a difference when I tested it. Not so sure about Master of Conjuration but it's still +3 DC so keeping it.

But yeah, the tree is awful. No +MCL anywhere in it, caster levels are pointless when your spells are capped at 10/15. But SLA Multivial is too nice to miss + immunity/resistance removal at T5.

Sadly class is bugged like crazy. As nice as the Multivial SLA is, it requires a target which is bullshit (regular Multivial doesn't need one) when vials get lost sometimes when your target dies. Melt Lock is also fucked, doesn't use Spellcraft. Also Master of Spellvials doesn't work which would be a major DPS boost.

And a million other small things everywhere. Released too fast IMO.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:39pm by Distributed »  

IP Logged

newalchemist
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 1:51pm:

But you won't be able to do enough damage if you're pausing to throw darts. You're making yourself weaker playing with anything but nukes. So I cast at level 46 now, you're saying that doesn't work(I still get spellpower/immune destroyer/spellcrit/conjuration and the best SLA in the game from bombardier) how much power would I be expected to get when they fix this, another 50%? 100%? Nuke wise it's close to sorc damage, but even a 50% boost would blow through a sorc.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
newalchemist wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:15pm:
But you won't be able to do enough damage if you're pausing to throw darts. You're making yourself weaker playing with anything but nukes. So I cast at level 46 now, you're saying that doesn't work(I still get spellpower/immune destroyer/spellcrit/conjuration and the best SLA in the game from bombardier) how much power would I be expected to get when they fix this, another 50%? 100%? Nuke wise it's close to sorc damage, but even a 50% boost would blow through a sorc.

You aren't casting at level 46. You're casting at level 10. 

Your spellpower and spell crit chance/damage are good, but your caster level is still 10.  If you have +10 max caster level from Master of Spell Vials and +3 from Draconic and +3 from Magister that would take you from 10 to 26.

I don't know if +Max Caster Level gear is working or not. Haven't tested that.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:14pm:
Dragon Spell Knowledge seemed to make a difference when I tested it. Not so sure about Master of Conjuration but it's still +3 DC so keeping it.

I tried it and I might have not seen enough numbers to make a proper analysis, but it didn't seem to be giving +30% damage that it should at least.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #19 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:18pm:
I tried it and I might have not seen enough numbers to make a proper analysis, but it didn't seem to be giving +30% damage that it should at least.

I go from like 850-900 damage to 1.2k-ish non-crit with both. Not 29 yet though. Might be easier to see with higher spellpower from better gear.

IP Logged

C Troll
Korthos Resident

Fuck Off

Reply #20 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Is the game better for the alchemist?

Meanin, is the snowflakes happier?

IP Logged

newalchemist
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2020 at 7:41am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:17pm:
You aren't casting at level 46. You're casting at level 10. 

Your spellpower and spell crit chance/damage are good, but your caster level is still 10.  If you have +10 max caster level from Master of Spell Vials and +3 from Draconic and +3 from Magister that would take you from 10 to 26.

I don't know if +Max Caster Level gear is working or not. Haven't tested that.

Why would master of spellvials work but everything else doesn't, the latest patch also says they fixed master of spell vials.

I'm doing a good 1.3k damage 2.5k crit now, how much should I expect once they fix the multivial? It can't be much more than 30% or they'll be VERY powerful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint