Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maximum sustainable STR on a barbarian? (Read 5397 times)
Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Maximum sustainable STR on a barbarian?
May 4th, 2020 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Hi Folks

Can anyone help me with a breakdown of what is the maximum STR that can be had on a level 30 barb? Also is it better to be STR based or CON based (all level ups, items focussed on CON etc).

My first life pure barb can reach 100 when fully raged, but seems a bit low. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Re: Maximum sustainable STR on a barbarian?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2020 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 1:36am:
Also is it better to be STR based or CON based (all level ups, items focussed on CON etc).

Are you trying for dps or trying to be shit?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:00am
Print Post  
STR is not the first consideration

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
130 dumbass

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 8:30am:
Are you trying for dps or trying to be shit?

As someone who built for visage of terror at endgame I'm confused.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 2:11pm:
As someone who built for visage of terror at endgame I'm confused.

I don't think he was considering a Visage of Terror focused build.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
This should break down many sources of strength with a sustainable of 158 points.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Strength

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 2:25pm:
I don't think he was considering a Visage of Terror focused build. 

Visage is definitely not a DPS build.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2020 at 12:32am by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2020 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 9:42pm:
Visage is definitely not a DPS build.

Correct. You can run your flavour shit all day long, but it's not dps.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2020 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 6:12pm:
This should break down many sources of strength with a sustainable of 158 points.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Strength

I'm not too sure we agree on what "sustainable" means.  Some of the stuff under the "theoretical maximum" is short term and unreliable.

+4 madstone clicky effect?  Boots only have 2 charges for +2, if you're even wearing lvl 13 gear at cap, the other +2 requires getting a proc.

+2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song) Nice if you remember to bring a bard, but this is along the same lines as people who brag about their spell dc or tanking prr, with the disclaimer that a bard needs to be in party.

My horc barb right now hasn't spent any destiny points or epic feats for STR, but I can self buff into a 130 (Abishi cookies, yugo pot, store pot) and keep that until I run out of Primal Screams. Hits 136 when both the gloves and necklace from Sharn proc, but that's not sustainable.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:07am
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 8:23pm:
I'm not too sure we agree on what "sustainable" means.  Some of the stuff under the "theoretical maximum" is short term and unreliable.

+4 madstone clicky effect?  Boots only have 2 charges for +2, if you're even wearing lvl 13 gear at cap, the other +2 requires getting a proc.

+2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song) Nice if you remember to bring a bard, but this is along the same lines as people who brag about their spell dc or tanking prr, with the disclaimer that a bard needs to be in party.

My horc barb right now hasn't spent any destiny points or epic feats for STR, but I can self buff into a 130 (Abishi cookies, yugo pot, store pot) and keep that until I run out of Primal Screams. Hits 136 when both the gloves and necklace from Sharn proc, but that's not sustainable.

You're actually right, I should have clarified. Tongue

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:06am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 2:53am:
Correct. You can run your flavour shit all day long, but it's not dps.

Idk about that one chief. Outside of boss beat downs 6 mob instakill trumps raw damage, especially in higher skulls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2020 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 11:06am:
Idk about that one chief. Outside of boss beat downs 6 mob instakill trumps raw damage, especially in higher skulls.

maybe if the game were different, slower and less dps powercreeped. But Visage sacrifices a large percentage of dps for a 30 second cooldown ability.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2020 at 12:30pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2020 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 12:30pm:
maybe if the game were different, slower and less dps powercreeped. But Visage sacrifices a large percentage of dps for a 30 second cooldown ability.

Yeah, visage is garbage. Imagine running a visage build in r10s in 2020. lol

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 11:06am:

Let's talk DC first:
"Will save vs 10 + Constitution modifier + half barbarian level." So let's say it's 20 + cons. mod.

Let's take these values into account...
https://ddowiki.com/page/Constitution

...and let's say you run around with 140 constitution (and that is a LOT) for a grand total of 65 mod points.

Now, let's add those 65 points to the original formula and we have have...85 DC on will. Not saying it will never land but I hardly consider this reliable on R10 (or even 6 for that matter). The best part of this, is the paralyze effect if enemies make the save and, at this point, I can only assume it will be most of the time.

But maybe I'm mistaken and I'd gladly rethink my position if someone makes a better point for this
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2020 at 2:26pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #15 - May 6th, 2020 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 2:25pm:
Let's talk DC first:
"Will save vs 10 + Constitution modifier + half barbarian level." So let's say it's 20 + cons. mod.

Let's take these values into account...
https://ddowiki.com/page/Constitution

...and let's say you run around with 140 constitution (and that is a LOT) for a grand total of 65 mod points.

Now, let's add those 65 points to the original formula and we have have...85 DC on will. Not saying it will never land but I hardly consider this reliable on R10 (or even 6 for that matter). The best part of this, is the paralyze effect if enemies make the save and, at this point, I can only assume it will be most of the time.

But maybe I'm mistaken and I'd gladly rethink my position if someone makes a better point for this

You usually want to cleave right before it to pop the level 6 core. Having other party members with will save debuffs helps. As much as people hate it; the barbarian aura of menace is also nice.

Really like any 'caster' its a game of getting the ideal conditions. That being said; even if you fail you just made those mobs helpless. And you don't even have to give up too much strength in the pursuit of being a con-tard.

Also despite the tooltip I think the DC is broken. Last time I ran a visage build a good 3-4 months ago; I was landing instakills in R5+ runs reliably.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
It’s not a will save

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #17 - May 6th, 2020 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 7:50pm:
It’s not a will save

Both the tool-tip and the Wiki *say* it's a Will save...

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #18 - May 7th, 2020 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 8:04pm:
Both the tool-tip and the Wiki *say* it's a Will save...

I've heard a ton of people claiming it's actually a wisdom save or smthing, which is preferable for reasons.

I've heard it lands a lot more than it has any right to, but it's still not a dps build. A palemaster isn't a dps build.  Whether or not you think instakill is better than dps is irrelevant, because even if instakill > dps, instakill != dps.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #19 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:49am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 6:48am:
I've heard a ton of people claiming it's actually a wisdom save or smthing, which is preferable for reasons.

I've heard it lands a lot more than it has any right to, but it's still not a dps build. A palemaster isn't a dps build.  Whether or not you think instakill is better than dps is irrelevant, because even if instakill > dps, instakill != dps.

Still, you don't have to truly sacrifice anything gear wise that would differentiate you from being a DPS barbarian. The only difference is your level up stats and depending on your dedication which artifact you slot/swap.

Granted you will have a different capstone that presents a sizeable DPS jump when its active.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Not only the capstone but the ap split starts to become taxing and will omit many abilities. Less strikethrough, less melee power, and a lesser weapon ( Berserker can use Tail and get more out of it than Ravager does using great axe ). The Berserker splits can use KtA and grab Knockout from Occult Slayer, while still retaining the Berserker 18 core critical multi. The dps loss is significant.

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 12:40pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #21 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 9:49am:
Still, you don't have to truly sacrifice anything gear wise that would differentiate you from being a DPS barbarian. The only difference is your level up stats and depending on your dedication which artifact you slot/swap.

Granted you will have a different capstone that presents a sizeable DPS jump when its active.

t5 FB is the dps option. That's  36 ap (or something, 35? WHO CARES)
Capstone ravager is 41 ap

You have nothing left to play with. Even with max racial ap, horc wants more ap. Horc is fucking expensive. That's not even touching OS

Rubbinns wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 12:39pm:
Not only the capstone but the ap split starts to become taxing and will omit many abilities. Less strikethrough, less melee power, and a lesser weapon ( Berserker can use Tail and get more out of it than Ravager does using great axe ). The Berserker splits can use KtA and grab Knockout from Occult Slayer, while still retaining the Berserker 18 core critical multi. The dps loss is significant.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was still t5 FB and then capstone ravager.

FB with tail is dope. FB with baz morath is a delete button in FOTW.
Ravager with tail can neck itself. Ravager with baz is, like okay. Ravager with baz in FOTW fails at being a delete button.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #22 - May 8th, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 12:30am:
t5 FB is the dps option. That's  36 ap (or something, 35? WHO CARES)
Capstone ravager is 41 ap

You have nothing left to play with. Even with max racial ap, horc wants more ap. Horc is fucking expensive. That's not even touching OS

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was still t5 FB and then capstone ravager.

FB with tail is dope. FB with baz morath is a delete button in FOTW.
Ravager with tail can neck itself. Ravager with baz is, like okay. Ravager with baz in FOTW fails at being a delete button.

Alright, I'll confess before my reputation is fully tarnished. I was trying to bait and see who'd react with typical vault flair and who would actually try to reason with the view point.

I'm disappointed, yal are getting older and reasonable, less prone to vitriol.  Undecided

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #23 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:19am
Print Post  

Fifteen pieces of flair is the minimum, okay? Now, you guys know it's up to you whether or not you want to do just the minimum. Or, well, like Gunga, for example, he has 37 pieces of flair. And a terrific smile.

Look, guys, people can get DDO information anywhere, okay? They come to the Vault for the atmosphere and the attitude. Okay? That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.

Look, I want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to express more and we encourage that, okay? You do want to express yourself, don't you?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 11:19am:
Fifteen pieces of flair is the minimum, okay? Now, you guys know it's up to you whether or not you want to do just the minimum. Or, well, like Gunga, for example, he has 37 pieces of flair. And a terrific smile.

Look, guys, people can get DDO information anywhere, okay? They come to the Vault for the atmosphere and the attitude. Okay? That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.

Look, I want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to express more and we encourage that, okay? You do want to express yourself, don't you?

Newsfeed!

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint