Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Warlock Pacts (Read 4385 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

New Warlock Pacts
May 26th, 2020 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Didn't see any discussion here.   

These interest anyone or move the needle at all?  Or is Warlock still too weak comparatively?

Quote:
Celestial Pact

Description
Your patron is a divine Celestial, patron of those who wish to devote themselves to an unconventional method of worship. You will learn to channel the light and air around you into a righteous weapon, and utilize holy abilities to help your friends and pass judgement upon your enemies.

Base Info
Pact Dice Element Electric
Pact Save Bonus Will
Alignment Restriction You must be Good to take this pact.

Bonus Spells
1st Level Spell Bless
2nd Level Spell Soundburst
3rd Level Spell Magic Circle Against Evil
4th Level Spell Prayer
5th Level Spell Holy Aura
6th Level Spell Freedom of Movement

Special Abilities
Warlock Level 6 Special Ability Celestial Attunement: +5 PRR and +1 to all Saves
Warlock Level 15 Special Ability Ameliorate: Attempt to obliterate an Undead, or severely weaken any non-Undead foe. Undead must succeed on a Will save vs DC (15 + Warlock level + Charisma mod) or be destroyed. Undead who fail this save, or enemies who are not undead, instead are terrorized and have their Magical Resistance Rating reduced by 10 for 6 seconds.

Currently Known Bugs
N/A

Quote:
Abyss Pact

Description
Your patron is of the Abyss - a pit of darkness beyond comprehension, a desire and a hunger beyond meaning itself. Tread carefully.

Base Info
Pact Dice Element Negative
Pact Save Bonus Fortitude
Alignment Restriction You must not be Good to take this Pact

Bonus Spells
1st Level Spell Mage Armor
2nd Level Spell Spawn Screen
3rd Level Spell Halt Undead
4th Level Spell Death Aura
5th Level Spell Symbol of Pain
6th Level Spell Energy Drain

Special Abilities
Warlock Level 6 Special Ability Unhallowed Flesh: +5 PRR and +5 MRR
Warlock Level 15 Special Ability Channel the Abyss: Shroud yourself in the Abyss, which will grant you unholy power at a cost. You have +100% critical hit resistance, are healed by Negative Energy, take 50% healing from Positive Energy, and take double damage from Light. You are considered Undead rather than your original type for the purposes of most effects.

Currently Known Bugs
N/A

Quote:
Carceri Sorm Pact

Description
Your Patron is a demonic entity from the realm of Carceri, otherwise known as Tartarus. The bitter cold and freezing winds will chill you to your bones, but if you can master the power granted to you, great things will surely come your way...

Base Info
Pact Dice Element Cold
Pact Save Bonus Reflex
Alignment Restriction No Restriction

Bonus Spells
1st Level Spell Merfolk's Blessing
2nd Level Spell Gust of Wind
3rd Level Spell Sleet Storm (NOTE:  THIS GOT SWAPPED OUT FOR SOME OTHER COLD DoT)
4th Level Spell Ice Storm
5th Level Spell Niac's Biting Cold
6th Level Spell Greater Creeping Cold

Special Abilities
Warlock Level 6 Special Ability Frozen Footsteps: +10% Cold Absorption
Warlock Level 15 Special Ability Absolute Zero: Attempt to lock a single enemy in ice permanently. Enemies must succeed on a Will save vs DC (15 + Warlock level + Charisma Mod) or be forever trapped in solid ice. Enemies made of fire will instead be destroyed with no save. Does not affect bosses.

Currently Known Bugs
N/A

I kinda like the Carceri Storm pact.  As a quick PL/leveling build.  But it's not going to be faster than sorc.  Maybe just a higher floor with a lower ceiling.   

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Re: New Warlock Pacts
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
A buddy of mine has conveyed a lot of our combined thoughts on these in the lam threads.

Ultimately though I'm guessing only Carceri will stand out and be used frequently.

You might see the oddball Celestial like you see the odd Fey on live. But I imagine people will give Abyss one shot, quickly Tr out of it, and suggest to their friends no one plays it.

IP Logged

Chip
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Abyss is hot garbage and a total joke of a pact. Could've been good instead it will be stinky poo.

Cold pact might end up being good since you'll be able to stick Creeping Cold, Greater Creeping Cold, Niac's, Consume, Stricken on a boss with Ice Storm + Sleet storm mitigating mob movement and enabling even better (more consistent) CC.

I will certainly try a cold warlock in heroics sometime maybe even take into epics, and when they eventually add another race to the store that synergizes with cold/water spells it will likely be a sleeper hit. By the way, I figure Triton fits the bill.

Celestial is mediocre as it comes, with a boring spell selection and even more boring level 15 ability. Could be good but since Warlock has been out a while I doubt they'll do too much.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2020 at 12:51am
Print Post  
You want a race that synergizes better with cold than a cha based, spellpower/max caster level/evoc race?

Do you want it to give you a handjob while you play something tailored to cold-specced dps?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:08am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 12:51am:
You want a race that synergizes better with cold than a cha based, spellpower/max caster level/evoc race?

Do you want it to give you a handjob while you play something tailored to cold-specced dps?

I'd imagine he meant something more akin to how Tieflings are designed around fire; particularly the fire immunity stripper that makes them a nice option for a variety of classes outside of the intentional sorcerer synergy.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Chip wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 12:03am:
Abyss is hot garbage and a total joke of a pact. Could've been good instead it will be stinky poo.

Jezuz loling Christ, a pact that deals NEGATIVE damage. Not bad, not bad...not many monsters are immune to it except for undeads being healed from it

You are not getting it yet, negative damage in a game where half the monsters can literally be healed by your attacks  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

Classic Turdbine
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2020 at 5:20am by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 5:18am:
Jezuz loling Christ, a pact that deals NEGATIVE damage. Not bad, not bad...not many monsters are immune to it except for undeads being healed from it

You are not getting it yet, negative damage in a game where half the monsters can literally be healed by your attacks  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

Classic Turdbine

To me that could have been overlooked entirely if the player was able to heal themself (or even allies) while using eldritch aura... But surprise, it doesn't heal them with their pact die.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:01am
Print Post  
*During last fight in curse of Strahd*

- Guys, stop killing brides ffs

<enter warlock with abyss pact (WAP)>

(WAP): Don't worry, I got this. *keep healing brides*

Sorry, can't stop  Grin

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 7:01am:
*During last fight in curse of Strahd*

- Guys, stop killing brides ffs

<enter warlock with abyss pact (WAP)>

(WAP): Don't worry, I got this. *keep healing brides*

Sorry, can't stop  Grin

To be fair here; Asheras didn't include dev responses nor has the OP been adjusted.

Lyn changed this to not heal undead. You just deal no damage. Of course that isn't too helpful as suddenly you're losing half your damage when fighting a certain type of mob.... That you know constitutes about 1/4th of the mobs in the game. Then add in constructs are immune to negative energy and now your pact damage does nothing to 1/2 of the game, particularly what counts as endgame content.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2020 at 9:03am by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Chip
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2020 at 2:33am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 12:51am:

For the record I've always been opposed to them releasing a clear "best in slot" race, Dragonborn pushed the limits of my tolerance because it was such an improvement for elemental casters but at least it had 4 potential styles available.

Now that Tiefling exists it's only a matter of time before we get 3 other races that either do exactly what Tiefling does or something so similar you can't tell where it stops and Dborn/Tiefling begins.

I wonder, even if they were to release cold-Tiefling, I doubt anyone would go too hard for it on account of cold spells not being as easy as "meteor go boom"

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Chip wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 2:33am:
For the record I've always been opposed to them releasing a clear "best in slot" race, Dragonborn pushed the limits of my tolerance because it was such an improvement for elemental casters but at least it had 4 potential styles available.

Now that Tiefling exists it's only a matter of time before we get 3 other races that either do exactly what Tiefling does or something so similar you can't tell where it stops and Dborn/Tiefling begins.

I wonder, even if they were to release cold-Tiefling, I doubt anyone would go too hard for it on account of cold spells not being as easy as "meteor go boom"

Personally a cold or acid tiefling would have been fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint