Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO Private Server (Read 25347 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Re: DDO Private Server
Reply #50 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 2:50pm:
His disguise probably fooled you. It's Meat-Head!

I’m very sneaky.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #51 - May 31st, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
DupeHero wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 1:44am:
I would like to announce a new collaboration between DDOPlayer98 and myself, we have started developement on a DDO Private Server and are curious about what kind of server everyone would like to see and your opinion on the subject!

This is still in early developement on the server emulator. I know it is quite late for a private server to be developed for the game but as the dying game is a rising concern for the community, i think now would be the best time to start work on it. We also would like this to be a eye opener for SSG to hopefully change their marketing strategy as a lot of other games have done in the recent years. I think everyone has observed the greedy behavior of SSG in the recent years with their expansions after expansions and more and more expensive, with lower and lower quality. That is without talking about their pay to win items.

What I would like to see is transparency on live game mechanics.

Actual drop rates, thresholds for dungeon alerts, monster saves and DCs. Also reveal the actual architecture of the systems that are oh-so-hard to fix.

Fucking expose those rockstars.

Wouldn't even need a private server for that.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Keeper of the Vault
YaBB Administrator

Spelunker

Reply #52 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 1:18am
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from DDO-Specific Discussion [move by] Keeper of the Vault.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Is this for real?  As someone that plays with Trinity Core and Project Topaz to look at some real sql databases and C++ server code,  I find the idea exciting.  GPL your server emulator and put it on Github or the like and you might get some help.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:59am:
I�m very sneaky.

I do think it's funny seeing someone who is well known in the Vault try to disguise who they are with such an obvious ploy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #55 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is this for real?  As someone that plays with Trinity Core and Project Topaz to look at some real sql databases and C++ server code,  I find the idea exciting.  GPL your server emulator and put it on Github or the like and you might get some help.

Its actually even easier - there's a working AC2 emulator out there and DDO's source code is heavily based on AC2. I haven't had an update recently but yes, a DDO homebrew server is being worked on.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 2:52pm:
Its actually even easier - there's a working AC2 emulator out there and DDO's source code is heavily based on AC2. I haven't had an update recently but yes, a DDO homebrew server is being worked on.

Damn awesome.  Well,  my tech skills are at about the level of a good intern at this point,  but I wish those trying well and will contribute what little skill I have as long as the server is released open source like other emulators.

IP Logged

Mac
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I would like to see:

choose your route.. AC, PRR, Dodge, combo.. make them all viable and stop giving mobs the extra-capability to bypass it, as they see fit

screw balance.. 1st edition wasnt balanced, other than xp requirements.. play your class and stop whining about balance.. if you want to play a class that kills everything in sight then dont play one that cant kill everything in sight.. every class has its role that is meant to be played as it is meant to be played

take out drop rates.. make it all random.. give quest giver rewards the same loot table as the chest and throw in a couple names items for real quest rewards, not just random crap that I would never agree to take your quest for anyways

make it all F2P, just ask for server fee (monthly/quarterly/yearly).. I'm sure there are enough fans to donate their time/money/expertise, to keep it running forever.. and maybe 'sell' a copy of the server, to those who want to run their own server.

make DM tools to create new quests to submit to DevDM (oversight committee) to insert into game (should create a LOT of new content quickly)

take out the reaper crap, or put it on its own server w/ hardcore mode

take out ml's.. the stated purpose for ml's, were to prevent powerful items from overwhelming an unpowerful noob character (.. hmm, so what were all those tr's doing???) or maybe give -1 ml for each triple PL.. so that lvl 29 item isnt completely useless outside of endgame and my inv isnt completely full of BtC stuff

BtC stuff.. take it out.. there is no need for BtC, BtA MAAAYbeeee.. binding was originally just there to prevent permanent damage to items, but named loot is immune to permanent damage already

server transfers
     unlimited storage
     better tr cache that does not have to be emptied
     take out the nerfs
     make party/raid sizes more flexible
     put more spells into the game (all of them, I want to fly everywhere)
     I want to set my own teleport spots
     I want to passwall
     I want to ride a griffon or a dragon
     make ddoor 2 way (to the entrance or to a person)

make the airship available inquest as support.. a beacon (2way) summons it.. or as an alternate point of entry

I've had other ideas over the years, but I hope at least some of them are implementable.

and BTW, as much as some of us have spent on this game over the years, SSG should hand us a copy of the game, when they finally shut it down.

IP Logged

Mac
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
its been 20+ years since I did any coding outside of trainers and hacks.. but I can take a look at things and see if I can help

IP Logged

Mac
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
oh yeah.. psionics.. eberron??

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #60 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Mac wrote on Dec 9th, 2020 at 2:02pm:
oh yeah.. psionics.. eberron??

Given the emulator itself hasn't actually been coded yet, I would say its a tad premature to start asking for new content on it Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

starch
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
i been looking for a privet ddo sever for years now.

i last played ddo when the level cap was 25 and stop when i read there going to raise it 30, in which i was already bothered at the lv 25 cap

i am surprised reading that some people not liking the reapers? lol my reason i looking to get back into ddo right now is just because i am just learning about them now and reading you now need a proper group  with a proper tank, healer, and support.

even when the level cap was 20 people would say "this isn't wow you needed skill and tactics cant get by with gear alone"  which wasnt true then and defiantly not true now but probably was back in the day and that is were i would want to experience..

i had a lot of fun on my rogue back then solo dn on the hardest  difficulty and it was the difficulty that made it fun

what bugs me is you see someone in game with like 30+ buffs, like really do you need all that....what i would love to also see is a limit on that like 5 at most or something

i want to go into a dn having to think of the dangers and think of what we need and don't need and not sitting there saying in a drunken slur "throw everything on and charge in aimlessly"

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
You waited too long. You only need a group for higher skulls. Low skulls is a solo-able due to the reaper tree power creep.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #63 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyesstarch wrote on Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:54pm:
i been looking for a privet ddo sever for years now.

i last played ddo when the level cap was 25 and stop when i read there going to raise it 30, in which i was already bothered at the lv 25 cap

i am surprised reading that some people not liking the reapers? lol my reason i looking to get back into ddo right now is just because i am just learning about them now and reading you now need a proper group  with a proper tank, healer, and support.

even when the level cap was 20 people would say "this isn't wow you needed skill and tactics cant get by with gear alone"  which wasnt true then and defiantly not true now but probably was back in the day and that is were i would want to experience..

i had a lot of fun on my rogue back then solo dn on the hardest  difficulty and it was the difficulty that made it fun

what bugs me is you see someone in game with like 30+ buffs, like really do you need all that....what i would love to also see is a limit on that like 5 at most or something

i want to go into a dn having to think of the dangers and think of what we need and don't need and not sitting there saying in a drunken slur "throw everything on and charge in aimlessly"

If all you want is to be hamstrung why not self-impose some gameplay rules? Only allow yourself 5 buffs, don't buy tomes, don't reincarnate, etc. Never quite understood the logic of "I demand the game take things away from me to make it harder!"

Reaper sucks. Its like a whole different game varrying between the skull levels. Its not so much harder as having to play basically a different game entirely. Have to soec different, plan different, gear different. If that's your jam go for it though.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:04am
Print Post  
starch wrote on Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:54pm:

We've always been able to have more buffs than that.  That's never been part of the game and frankly doesn't make any sense.  You can argue that it was better with less ship buffs but meh.  Also if you think you can just drunkenly charge in,  please up your difficulty level.  Yeah you can steam roll many of the difficulties in this game, but I doubt you are steam rolling r10's.  I just really doubt it.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Jan 12th, 2024 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Just wondering if this went anywhere?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #66 - Jan 22nd, 2024 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jan 12th, 2024 at 11:29am:
Just wondering if this went anywhere?

It did not.

Making a private DDO server is still plausible, but no one with the skills to do so wants to do it.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #67 - Jan 22nd, 2024 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 22nd, 2024 at 2:51pm:
It did not.

Making a private DDO server is still plausible, but no one with the skills to do so wants to do it.

Yeah, getting sued by someone (Hasbro) who has much deeper pockets than you do doesn't sound like a very good time.   Undecided

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Jan 23rd, 2024 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Mate, as bad as they are, I expect one of you would somehow be worse.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #69 - Jan 23rd, 2024 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Well there's suppsedly some AC Private servers....

And just Look at City of Heroes, they have a private server that is now officially sanctionned by the editor. ( after years of existence in the background ) :

Code
Select All
https://kotaku.com/homecoming-city-of-heroes-mmo-fan-server-ncsoft-license-1851141864 

( copy/paste the link, I put it that way to avoid a broken link )
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2024 at 12:41pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #70 - Jan 23rd, 2024 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 23rd, 2024 at 12:40pm:

And just Look at City of Heroes, they have a private server that is now officially sanctionned by the editor. ( after years of existence in the background ) :

Code
Select All
https://kotaku.com/homecoming-city-of-heroes-mmo-fan-server-ncsoft-license-1851141864 

You should have user the url and /url tags.

https://kotaku.com/homecoming-city-of-heroes-mmo-fan-server-ncsoft-license-18511...
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2024 at 2:09pm by Standing Stone Games »  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #71 - Jan 25th, 2024 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Jan 22nd, 2024 at 6:13pm:
Yeah, getting sued by someone (Hasbro) who has much deeper pockets than you do doesn't sound like a very good time.   Undecided

There are dozens of different games with working private servers. Blizzards been dealing with it for 10+ years. City of Heroes has one. Asheron's Call has one(though the rights to AC are in some weird limbo right now). Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest, EverQuest 2, Ultima Online. Those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head.

Just developing one technically falls under free speech, so as long as you don't use any stolen code or trademarked assetts, you haven't actually committed a crime until you start charging money for your service. This is why despite threats, the lawsuits don't actually go much past Cease and Desist letters. And that's assuming the coders are even on US soil. Good luck sueing someone in Moldova.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #72 - Mar 3rd, 2024 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 4:55pm:
Are you looking at a donation system or some sort of shop? From a legal standpoint there's no grounds in which you can sell any existing asset in the game without opening a can of worms that changes your situation from a C&D letter from SSG to an actual nasty lawsuit with a check involved.

Presumably they intend to operate the server in a country that ignores US C&D's.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #73 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Mar 3rd, 2024 at 7:22pm:
Presumably they intend to operate the server in a country that ignores US C&D's.

You don't even have to go that far, just operate on a donation system and provide donation perks not based on things from the DDO store.

The EverQuest private server I played on for a while offered things like priority access and an instanced house(which the base game at the time did not support) in exchange for monthly donations.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #74 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 23rd, 2024 at 12:40pm:

Code
Select All

i want to be mean at the fact that you use a code tag to put a link when url tag is literally 1 less button press coupled with you constantly sperging about old computer shit like u are some computer expert but after 15 years of using the vault u still cant post a working link but more than that i want to express that if something similar to https://kotaku.com/homecoming-city-of-heroes-mmo-fan-server-ncsoft-license-18511... occurred to ddo and there was based private servers and people who actually knew and played the game were in control i would definitely play it again
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2024 at 8:00am by eighnuss »  

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint