Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why is my sorc so fast? (Read 1627 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Why is my sorc so fast?
Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Ok so I got my main TRd into a halfling sorcerer to do some racial lives. He's lvl 18, wearing a quiver of alacrity and zips around very fast. Then I switch over to my dragonborn fire sorc, same quiver, ships buffs, etc, and it feels like I'm running through mollasas. Why is the one character so much faster than the other?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Nuic
DQ Assaulter

OMEGALUL

Re: Why is my sorc so fast?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:43am
Print Post  
pea-brain eyes think your character runs faster based on the run animation, not the actual speed. smaller races = more steps for same distance = faster animation than larger races
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:43am by Nuic »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Ok, further digging indicates they are both at 129%... maybe the halfling just looks faster because of bad display scaling?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
They look faster because they have to move those tiny legs more.

Going from gnome to WF was quite the shock.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
it is a FOV illusion related to the position of the camera on different scaled player models. not sure if the time stamp will work in a embed link but around 14:00 he explains how FOV will affect your perception of speed. its not the best example because he really makes the video specific to this racing game. i will look for another example

fuck that video this is the one you want to watch
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:46pm by eighnuss »  

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
That certainly makes sense. I always knew there was something scewy about halflings. They don't seem to have adjusted the camera or anything for them; pretty sure they just made halflings by adjusting the scale of a human model and making the ears pointy.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Your Halfling isn't fast, your Dragonborn is slow.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1583761183/11#11

Quote:
It seems like a small thing, but it's driving me nuts.

Some of my characters have inconsistent movement speed from instance to instance. It's most obvious on the Sorcerer. He always has the Quiver of Alacrity equipped (30% Striding), but...it doesn't reliably apply? When it's bugged out like that, I can cast Haste and even that doesn't help. Seems like the only way to fix it is unequip and reequip the quiver. Which is a pain.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you have a better workaround?

The optical illusion of feeling faster/slower is a real thing, but that's not all that's going on here. I tested this using movement scripts in Autohotkey and got significantly different amounts of actual ground covered from instance to instance.

Most characters I don't have a problem with, and I have a lot of characters. My problem character is a dragonborn sorc as well. Maybe dragonborns are just glitchy...and just like the back of my Order's Garb shows through my cloak and my Mutilator of Minds orb appears glued to the base of his wrist instead of being grasped in the hand, the quiver does not apply its effect reliably.

My new workaround is to not use a quiver. I just recast Haste every 2-3 minutes.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I just played a sorc life along with a buddy who was playing dragonborn... he has the tiefling scoundrel 30% striding, same as me, VIP like me, same guild buffs all things equal at level 2, and he definitely moved slower in certain instances in town.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I'm a big fan of all the work that SSG has done on the races in the last few years, but I have to admit the Dragonborn was and is very buggy in appearance and mechanics, missed chance. Luckily they learned and did much better after.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint