Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which epic quests are worth running on r1? (Read 8945 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Which epic quests are worth running on r1?
Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
With the permanent optional xp ransack, i cant do my usual daily routine to get to 30 anymore because stuff like wiz kings gets ransacked down to nothing.

I tried fitting in some quest chains on r1...the problem being that most of the epic quests are awful xp/min and very much not fun. If you have a caster that can either one shot a wave or come close to it, then its "okay" (if boring), but you still need to find a party for that in the first place.

I just spent several hours doing the GH saga on r1, 5-6 man party, mostly low damage builds, no fire sorc or anything like that. Average of 15 mins for 50-60k exp for most of the quests, not counting travel time. And the whole time I was thinking "i could be spending 10 mins on a relaxing EN spies that gives 100k+ exp with zero effort involved..."

And fuck running in the underdark or demon web when doing the quests there.

Only other alternative i can think of is to shell out money for slayer pots, which seems to be a popular option ever since the perm optional xp ransack change.

The first 4 runs of spies, von 3, etc each life are fine. Its when the ransack starts kicking in then leveling gets really painful. 15 mins or more for 50-60k xp is seriously bad in comparison.

Von 1-4 on r1 is okay with a large party, mostly because von 3 gives massive exp on r1.

Catacombs r1 is low xp but has some decent loot. The one with 200 skeletons is even worse than the heroic version with the massive hp on r1 though.

Borderlands has nice loot and is fast, low xp though.

GH saga seriously isnt worth it, heroic version has very low hp mobs for the level and is fast xp, but most of the quests are 10-15 mins for 50-60k. Bad.

Offering of Blood/Wiz King is good. Not worth running to Chains of Flame though.

Red Fens and sentinels of stormreach looks like another bunch of bad 50-60k xp quests.

Phiarlan carnival is even worse. Does anyone even like this pack? Everyone I know wont touch it after they got the items they want from it.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:13pm by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Re: Which epic quests are worth running on r1?
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I’m running racials and epics atm, and what I do now is for each racial is run two epics.  Due to limited playing time, the first one takes a couple days running all the epic sagas on R3 (about as fast as R1 w/ my static group) or higher at cap, then chug a sov pot, eTR back to 20, take the sagas’ xp for 24, chug slayer pots then run slayers for the three or four hours it takes to get back to 30.

It’s all first time xp so I’m not wasting that much time by running dailies for lackluster xp to get to 30
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:27pm by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz »  

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:43am
Print Post  
>I have no dps waaaaah

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:49am
Print Post  
what do you mean permanent optional ransack ?

I'm not playing enough anymore to ransack anything... so I'm asking.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:49am:

It means exactly what it says on the tin. After 10 or so repetitions in one life, you get zero xp for that optional until you reincarnate.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:26pm:
I’m running racials and epics atm, and what I do now is for each racial is run two epics.  Due to limited playing time, the first one takes a couple days running all the epic sagas on R3 (about as fast as R1 w/ my static group) or higher at cap, then chug a sov pot, eTR back to 20, take the sagas’ xp for 24, chug slayer pots then run slayers for the three or four hours it takes to get back to 30.

It’s all first time xp so I’m not wasting that much time by running dailies for lackluster xp to get to 30

The problem with this is that running epic sagas on r1+ isnt good xp either, unless you are using xp pots.

Go look at the xp for the level 20 sentinels of stormreach quests. Its awful. Then consider how much xp you can get in 10 mins of EN spies or wiz king.

Ran Epic Deleras today. XP was surprisingly good, average of 10 mins for 100k xp. But most epic quests are trash xp/min.

Most saga XP is not worth it unless you use an XP pot before turning all the sagas in. Ive done comparisons, not worth running stuff like epic pirates/GH and most of the eveningstar sagas for the saga xp. 100k saga xp for turn in is literally one EN Spies daily.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 7:30am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:43am:
>I have no dps waaaaah

Not all builds have access to something like meteor to 1-2 shot an entire wave of mobs. A party with 5 melee/healers or random builds like Bow AA Ranger is always going to clear slower than a single fire sorc till you start doing high reaper.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:49am:

SSG's great idea to deal with people running mostly dailies in epics.

You can complete an optional 3 times per life before you take a -20% ransack penalty to that optional, which stacks, and never resets till you reincarnate.

I did the maths and it looks like for something like Wiz King, you can run it 4-5 times max before the ransack penalty gets too much. On the 6th run, with a 60% ransack penalty, the xp drops to the point where you are spending about 10 mins for 60k xp, still better than spending 15 mins for 60k xp doing some shitty low level epic quest on r1 though.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2020 at 8:48am by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 4:49am:
It means exactly what it says on the tin. After 10 or so repetitions in one life, you get zero xp for that optional until you reincarnate.

Ah, it's not a ransack... it's the multiple quest repetition penalty.
there's more than enough quests now that you shouldn't be bothered by it.... now in the early days... things like Giant Caves ( side thing in Threnal that took 1 minute for 2 LVL 9 chests when the cap was 10/12... Since it was over performing it has been nerfed into oblivion long ago ) or Shroud... after a while they were done just for loot and giggles.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 11:44am:
Ah, it's not a ransack... it's the multiple quest repetition penalty.
there's more than enough quests now that you shouldn't be bothered by it.... now in the early days... things like Giant Caves ( side thing in Threnal that took 1 minute for 2 LVL 9 chests when the cap was 10/12... Since it was over performing it has been nerfed into oblivion long ago ) or Shroud... after a while they were done just for loot and giggles. 

There are lots of quests, yes. The problem is that first time bonuses dont reset when you TR from 30 to 20 and most of the low level epic quests are extremely bad xp/min unless you have a good party that is blowing through the mobs. Especially if you have people who are still using heroic gear with low DPS builds and trying to kill 8k hp mobs.

This life, i did the MOTU chain with a great party, we had a fire sorc that was one shotting almost everything so things were a breeze. King's forest was not that bad, although running through the wilderness slowed things down.

Things slowed down dramatically when we had to run through the underdark and of course, people got lost, etc. Then our fire sorc had to leave so we did the demon web with 3 melee builds and it took way longer to clear the mobs without the ability to delete an entire wave with one button.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 8:45am
Print Post  
ES challanges are great EXP/MIN, first time bonus only.
if you are doing more than 2 Epic lives before a TR, i would invest in a slayer pot and jump on the bandwagon..

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Crucible can be completed with 2 people in under 15 min, 19 min if you let pugs join

Most the GH walkups are back down to 5 min quests with a group that doesn't suck

R1 Tempest Spine with a couple of ranged toons can also be sub 15 min.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:08am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 3:06pm:
Long wall of text

Running the eTR hamster cycle I see? At this point, if I were you, I would buy epic XP stones and be done with it in a matter of weeks without having to put up with shitty quests,  optional xp ransack and other pay-wall grind Turbine has created. They do not cost much, check out the pricing somewhere here  Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:08am by Hardcore_Girl »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Then run the fucking EN spies + mirror and slayers.

The playerbase of clueless 50 lives characters, jesus.

Everything is worth running if it has first time bonus.
Some of the stuff you complain about is some of the best xp / min. Druid Curse,  Tor, Fathom, Trial by Fury, Ghost of Chance, Mirror. Idk, stopped paying attention because you can cap in 10 or 15 hours on really any non retarded build.

If you can't do r1, do EE. If you can't do that say hi to Fran.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:08am:
Running the eTR hamster cycle I see? At this point, if I were you, I would buy epic XP stones and be done with it in a matter of weeks without having to put up with shitty quests,  optional xp ransack and other pay-wall grind Turbine has created. They do not cost much, check out the pricing somewhere here  Cheesy Grin

Not really, i usually do 2 epic lives per 1 non-iconic life. By epic xp stones you mean ottos?

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 12:13pm:
Then run the fucking EN spies + mirror and slayers.

The playerbase of clueless 50 lives characters, jesus.

Everything is worth running if it has first time bonus.
Some of the stuff you complain about is some of the best xp / min. Druid Curse,  Tor, Fathom, Trial by Fury, Ghost of Chance, Mirror. Idk, stopped paying attention because you can cap in 10 or 15 hours on really any non retarded build.

If you can't do r1, do EE. If you can't do that say hi to Fran.

Yes you can do a lot of quests super fast if you have a lot of past lives/reaper points and most importantly, good AOE.

If you dont have good AOE, things take way longer. How long does it take you to solo something like mirror on r1 with a TWF or SWF melee build at level 27 or below?

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:44am:
Crucible can be completed with 2 people in under 15 min, 19 min if you let pugs join

Most the GH walkups are back down to 5 min quests with a group that doesn't suck

R1 Tempest Spine with a couple of ranged toons can also be sub 15 min.

Yes, if you have players in good gear and meta builds (fire sorc, etc).

When I did the GH saga, it was averaging 15 mins for the walkups. People in a mix of heroic gear and random level 20-24 gear usually clear mobs very slowly, especially if they are something like an AA ranger bow build.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:58pm:
Yes, if you have players in good gear and meta builds (fire sorc, etc).

When I did the GH saga, it was averaging 15 mins for the walkups. People in a mix of heroic gear and random level 20-24 gear usually clear mobs very slowly, especially if they are something like an AA ranger bow build.

Sorry that you don't understand the game.  Not sure if that can be fixed.

With 1 other person that knows how to run it, or at the very least can pull lever "I" when I say, Crucible is a 15 minute quest.  With one of my usual TR partners, our quickest time so far is 11:26 (on R3)

Note the lack of build requirements? Notice that all I said is "knows how to run it"?  Unless you build by Google search and use the ddo.co m forums for advice almost any build can get the job done. 

You do NOT need evasion for Crucible.  Every trap except the "pick a door" challenge can be avoided.  Even that one you can reduce to a single saving throw, so worst case 1 hit.

The swim is nothing more than understanding the path.  I've done it on every class in the game, 1st life toons or ultimate completionists, doesn't matter.

The maze is a joke.  Search something like "Mr Cow 2 man crucible maze.

The end fight? What, you can't find the safe spots?  You can't just mud stomp them on your barbarian?

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 6:05am
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 12:56pm:
Sorry that you don't understand the game.  Not sure if that can be fixed.

With 1 other person that knows how to run it, or at the very least can pull lever "I" when I say, Crucible is a 15 minute quest.  With one of my usual TR partners, our quickest time so far is 11:26 (on R3)

Note the lack of build requirements? Notice that all I said is "knows how to run it"?  Unless you build by Google search and use the ddo.co m forums for advice almost any build can get the job done. 

You do NOT need evasion for Crucible.  Every trap except the "pick a door" challenge can be avoided.  Even that one you can reduce to a single saving throw, so worst case 1 hit.

The swim is nothing more than understanding the path.  I've done it on every class in the game, 1st life toons or ultimate completionists, doesn't matter.

The maze is a joke.  Search something like "Mr Cow 2 man crucible maze.

The end fight? What, you can't find the safe spots?  You can't just mud stomp them on your barbarian? 

Uh, I was not referring to crucible specifically. The main thing slowing down epic runs on r1 is the ability to clear 6-8k hp mobs quickly. If the party has low dps and no good AOE, it will take a long time.

Again, nothing to do with getting stuck in crucible's maze. This is a general issue with epic quests.

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 8:29am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 6:05am:
Uh, I was not referring to crucible specifically. The main thing slowing down epic runs on r1 is the ability to clear 6-8k hp mobs quickly. If the party has low dps and no good AOE, it will take a long time.

Again, nothing to do with getting stuck in crucible's maze. This is a general issue with epic quests.

I do believe mobs have lower HP´s then 6-8k i.e. 4-6k on Orcs.. compare that to VoN 1-4 where trash is around 10k, and you are lower level running that chain = half the DPS of a 25-28.

The general rule is to always build for DPS, all builds can more or less be effective and if you do not have friends or tons of PL´s stick with what works (sorcs, wrl, barbs, paladins etc etc). Never ever rely on randoms to carry you... eek!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 12:56pm:
Search something like "Mr Cow 2 man crucible maze.

If you know what you're doing and have a pet/hireling at hand it can even be one manned.
the difficulty is to target the I lever so that you can tell the pet/drone to use it once it's parked there.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 8:53am:
If you know what you're doing and have a pet/hireling at hand it can even be one manned.
the difficulty is to target the I lever so that you can tell the pet/drone to use it once it's parked there.

Yep, or you can just DDoor a few times if you aren't concerned with time.  Hireling pulls I, you get the crest, DDoor, park the hire at K, 2 pulls, get crest, DDoor. Done and Done

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 8:29am:
I do believe mobs have lower HP´s then 6-8k i.e. 4-6k on Orcs.. compare that to VoN 1-4 where trash is around 10k, and you are lower level running that chain = half the DPS of a 25-28.

The general rule is to always build for DPS, all builds can more or less be effective and if you do not have friends or tons of PL´s stick with what works (sorcs, wrl, barbs, paladins etc etc). Never ever rely on randoms to carry you... eek!

Yea, I try to build for DPS, but theres a huge gap in how fast an AOE caster can clear compared to "regular" builds. At the moment im working on ranger lives, and tempest seems the least painful way to do that, but even with drow scimitars, beating on those 6-8k hp mobs in low epic quests on r1 takes a long time.

Bes that I have managed to do is try to time it so that I do all the level 22+ quests at level 26+ where I can use some of the level 26 raid gear, theres a huge difference at that point. But 20-25 is painful when running stuff on r1.

IP Logged

Valerianus
Korthos Resident

I Whole Lotta Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 8:53am:

no problem to target lever. you disable autotargeting and hard target lever and then be careful to do what you need to do without switching target.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2020 at 6:02pm by Valerianus »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 8:15am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:54pm:
Yes you can do a lot of quests super fast if you have a lot of past lives/reaper points and most importantly, good AOE.

If you dont have good AOE, things take way longer. How long does it take you to solo something like mirror on r1 with a TWF or SWF melee build at level 27 or below?

Idk what to tell you, either your build sucks or your gameplay sucks.
Atm on my barbie: Trial by fury 150k in 7 mins, Druid Curse 150k in 10 mins. Two Toed Tobias is 150k in 9 mins.
GH is TBF 100k 6 mins. Tor is 140k in 12 mins, Cry is 120k in 11 mins. Feast 110k in 7 mins. Madstone is 170k in 15 mins but duo.

And that's "normal' relaxing solo play. Pretty good gear but nothing special.
Barbie, Pally, Tempest, whatever build works. Okay Sharn and Ravenloft I'd do on 29 but old shit is super trivial.

But then again, people think that getting 550 more lives will magically teach them how not to suck.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2020 at 9:44am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint