Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Most Epic Crash Yet (Read 1302 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Most Epic Crash Yet
Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:05am
Print Post  
So I did another TR last night. This morning I went toodling around in Vale, as one does. Killed a named, stooped to loost the chest.

Gmae freezes.

Ok, these things happen. Cursor still working, whatever. Have a sov potion burning and dont feel like loosing 5-10 minutes for the game to resolve itself. Try ctl + alt + del, nothing. Try a few other things. Nothing.

Whatever.

Hard reboot the computer.

...won't start.

Yeah. Somehow DDO crashing killed Windows 10. THe hardware all seems fine, but the windows install and all it's precious software is broked. Some luck for me!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Most Epic Crash Yet
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:14am
Print Post  
There is a recent Security update, and its brute forced to Windows 10  PCs... unless you're using some Admin tricks to completely block them, its already downloaded and ready to install. It got me a week ago during the game crash. the crash hard locked my computer and I had to restart... it broke my boot record and wouldn't allow me to use my make-up image because it needs to boot record to back-up the system. I had to completely re-install.

THEN I had to go back and strip mine my old install for all the settings I needed but couldn't back up from the system image with.

Once the system was re-installed, it was incompatible with my old (27 days) system image...

Talk about a raging pain in the ass. I was in the middle of a TR during the crash, and lost anything that was in my inventory.... I had emptied about 1/2 my TR cache

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Far out.

Fkn microsoft.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 2:57am
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:14am:
There is a recent Security update, and its brute forced to Windows 10  PCs... unless you're using some Admin tricks to completely block them, its already downloaded and ready to install. It got me a week ago during the game crash. the crash hard locked my computer and I had to restart... it broke my boot record and wouldn't allow me to use my make-up image because it needs to boot record to back-up the system. I had to completely re-install.

THEN I had to go back and strip mine my old install for all the settings I needed but couldn't back up from the system image with.

Once the system was re-installed, it was incompatible with my old (27 days) system image...

Talk about a raging pain in the ass. I was in the middle of a TR during the crash, and lost anything that was in my inventory.... I had emptied about 1/2 my TR cache

What is the number of this security update?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
unless you're using some Admin tricks to completely block them

I run win 10 pro and have auto-updates disabled both in the registry and at the group policy level. These machines do not update unless I tell them to.

That said, the windows install that shat itself last night is probably 3-4 years old(possibly even original to the PC); while it HAS had updates now and again, its pretty bruised(i do tend to beat windows like a redheaded stepchild)

I was in the middle of a TR during the crash, and lost anything that was in my inventory.... I had emptied about 1/2 my TR cache

That's fucking terrifying 0.0

...Now I gotta get back into my account and make sure everything is ok!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Ok, account is fine, char is sitting casually outside the vale picking his nose, inventory intact.

I decided to simply buy a new HD for the gaming rig, will drop it in and reload windows then data-recover the old one. Fuck it.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 12:55am
Print Post  

Rebuilding a boot record on Windows isn't too hard usually.  I had the process down to about 3-5 minutes on VMs.

These are some instructions I had saved from having to fix a bunch of 2008 R2 servers MS hosed up in the past when some of their updates started messing with the crypto keys.  Not sure if the steps are 100% applicable to Win10, but the basic concept should be the same.
a)       Boot from a Windows install disk or flash drive
b)       On the first screen of Setup choose Next
c)       In the lower left of the screen choose "repair your computer"
d)       On the System Recovery Options screen choose your installation of Windows and then click next
e)       Click "Command prompt"
f)       Go to X:\sources\recovery> startrep.exe

This site seems to have multiple options for booting into recovery consoles for Win10:
https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/boot-to-command-prompt-windows-10-009.htm...
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2020 at 12:56am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Its not hard, but sometimes more effort than I'm willing to expend. the HD was over 3 years old, plus its only the gaming rig. Not like I had anything on there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint