Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Force Spells (Read 2197 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Force Spells
Aug 26th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
So observing that the FeyDark Illusionist tree had a bunch of stuff for force spell power/force crit, I find myself asking: what are the good force spells?

I know theres Ruin/Greater Ruin, but the cooldown is long and the casting speed is slow.

There's also Spirit Blades, but that has a VERY long casting speed, no quicken, and the force component is actually quite small(most is just piercing damage).

Chain Missiles? does not scale into epics

Force missile? does not scale into epics

Disintegrate? Arguably one of the coolest spells around, does not scale into epics, and I have not seen anything fail the fort-save on it.

So what else is there to do with high force spell power and crit chance?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Re: Force Spells
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Archmage SLA's, prismatic strike (hah), and tactical detonation.

It's almost like there's fuck all support for force *or* illusion spells for players and SSG hasn't realized that.

The only reason force damage is so annoying for players is the reduction  of it, or lack thereof.

New tree exists for cha to hit/dmg and nothing more from what I've seen. Kinda a shame, but whatever.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 10:49pm:
Archmage SLA's, prismatic strike (hah), and tactical detonation.

It's almost like there's fuck all support for force *or* illusion spells for players and SSG hasn't realized that.

The only reason force damage is so annoying for players is the reduction  of it, or lack thereof.

Hah indeed, archmage SLAs are a joke. If youve got a lvl30 pure wizard, go ahead and roll him into archmage and see exactly how well they scale(its badly)

So I'm sitting on something like 900 force spellpower on my fire sorc(1128 fire, 900ish force) to try and max out meteor swarm. It's a huge investment in gear, feats, and enhancements to get that far. And yeah, there is VERY little support for it; the only remotely decent force item is Legendary Kinetic Sphere - which an artificer probably is not going to use.

[some shit] wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 10:49pm:
New tree exists for cha to hit/dmg and nothing more from what I've seen. Kinda a shame, but whatever.

The chat to hit/dmg is probably all 90% of players will ever use it for, much like in to hit/dmg is all most people are using Harpers for. But that's what I'm getting at: there's a lot of stuff in the new tree for force crit/spellpower. I'm already heavily invested.

So why arent there morebetter force spells?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:11pm:
force

Why aren't there illusion spells?

Because they weren't here at day 1 and new spells are more fucks than SSG haves to give.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:32pm:
Why aren't there illusion spells?

There are so illusion spells!

Not... good ones...

But still! There's Invisibility, Displacement, and of course everyone's personal favorite: Invisibility, Mass!

But yeah no I get it:

[some shit] wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:32pm:
Because they weren't here at day 1 and new spells are more fucks than SSG haves to give.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 2:00am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 10:28pm:
So observing that the FeyDark Illusionist tree had a bunch of stuff for force spell power/force crit, I find myself asking: what are the good force spells?

I know theres Ruin/Greater Ruin, but the cooldown is long and the casting speed is slow.

There's also Spirit Blades, but that has a VERY long casting speed, no quicken, and the force component is actually quite small(most is just piercing damage).

Chain Missiles? does not scale into epics

Force missile? does not scale into epics

Disintegrate? Arguably one of the coolest spells around, does not scale into epics, and I have not seen anything fail the fort-save on it.

So what else is there to do with high force spell power and crit chance?

Blade barrier...

Also doesn’t scale into epics

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 6:34am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:11pm:
The chat to hit/dmg is probably all 90% of players will ever use it for, much like in to hit/dmg is all most people are using Harpers for.

Correct.

Side notes on archmage SLA, they're bad. So bad that the tier 5 arcane blast counts as lv 4 spells so it will be blocked by many monsters with innate mantle of invulnerability (liches of any CR for example) and raid bosses. Not something you want for what is supposed to be your strongest attack.

Force spells are in an odd space, disintegrate became less and lee desirable with each update as the spell power for elemental damage ramped up like crazy and spells such as force and chain missiles were pretty much simple procs for shiradi casters who exploited the high number of hits and low mana expenditure to spam a plethora of effects. As Flav mention, BB do not scale too well in epics, against some monsters at least, you can still exploit the artificial idiocy of monsters and go full crazy kiting machine and kill everything spending very little mana. Tactical detonation was never intended to be used a damaging spell imho, you just wanted the knockdown effect, same as cometfall even if this one is way more powerful. Guess that's it, not much else to cover with the classic spell book. The only actually damaging spells are ruin and greater ruin.

Illusion spells, how many illusion spells use a DC? Oh yeah, 2. Hypnotic pattern and phantasmal killer. I rest my case your honor, this is a lost a battle.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Meteor Swarm

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Fair point  Tongue

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:01am:
Meteor Swarm

Thank God. The one spell that needed some buffing.

Cool

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:01am:
Meteor Swarm

Artorias wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:45am:
Fair point  Tongue

Meteor Swarm only uses force spell power, the crit chance/multiplier are based on fire.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 11:28am:
Meteor Swarm only uses force spell power, the crit chance/multiplier are based on fire.

Impulse affects the physical part of the spell while both fire spell power and lore affects both the elemental damage and crit chance. Kinetic lore has no effect on it (and rightfully so, it would be hell on earth for those muppets at ssg to code it)

https://ddowiki.com/page/Meteor_Swarm

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Isn't it great how the best force spell in the game is a fire spell?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 12:32pm:
Isn't it great how the best force spell in the game is a fire spell?  Roll Eyes

The best force spell in the game is Wizard past life.

Not the highest DPS, but still the best Force spell.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:25pm:

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 12:38am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:25pm:

The day PL feats get 'modernized' and turned into SLAs I'll rejoice. Hell, I might even dust off the sorc one for the RNG ray.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint