Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why did True Seeing get the nerf-bats so hard? (Read 2549 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Why did True Seeing get the nerf-bats so hard?
Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:20am
Print Post  
So if I recall, True Seeing USED to just be "You see everything invisible and detect all secret doors automagically". Today, True Seeing is "find secret doors that have a DC of 30 or less" which is... some of the doors on Korthos, if you're playing on Hard? I wear a true seeing item on my main and can't remember the last time I actually hit a secret door DC, I don't believe it's ever happened on epic.

And yet several Legendary items have the same old version of true seeing? Why did this effect deserve to be nerfed so hard?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Druidica
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Why did True Seeing get the nerf-bats so hard?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 1:15am
Print Post  
True seeing:
You confer on the subject the ability to see things as they actually are. This allows the target to find secret doors that have a DC of 30 or less, see the exact location of creatures hidden by Blur or Displacement effects, and see Invisible creatures or objects normally.

Because:

Cheesy Doors have been rebalanced to better scale across the full range of the DDO content. The DCs needed to find a secret door with a Search check has been lowered in the earlier level ranges, but remain roughly the same in the higher level ranges. Associated spells and skills related to finding secret doors have been rebalanced in relation to the new difficulty curve. Items and spell descriptions have been updated to indicate how high of a DC they are able to detect.
Update 19 Release Notes
Welcome to the Release Notes for Dungeons & Dragons Online! These release notes were posted on Monday, August 19th, 2013²

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Druidica wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 1:15am:
True seeing:
You confer on the subject the ability to see things as they actually are. This allows the target to find secret doors that have a DC of 30 or less, see the exact location of creatures hidden by Blur or Displacement effects, and see Invisible creatures or objects normally.

Because:

Cheesy Doors have been rebalanced to better scale across the full range of the DDO content. The DCs needed to find a secret door with a Search check has been lowered in the earlier level ranges, but remain roughly the same in the higher level ranges. Associated spells and skills related to finding secret doors have been rebalanced in relation to the new difficulty curve. Items and spell descriptions have been updated to indicate how high of a DC they are able to detect.
Update 19 Release Notes
Welcome to the Release Notes for Dungeons & Dragons Online! These release notes were posted on Monday, August 19th, 2013²

Cute but I think OP was referring to a more recent change

Quote:
Fixed a problem with many secret doors that made them too easy to spot, to the point of your Spot skill not mattering at all. Their Search DCs are not affected. These doors Spot DCs will now scale with level and difficulty, as intended, and their Spot DC values will be 5 below their Search DCs. This bug only affected doors, not traps or control panels.

Update 46, released on Thursday, April 23rd.

Answer: They fixed a 7 year old bug

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:49am
Print Post  
BTH in P&P TrueSeeing will do nothing to help you find secret doors unless they are hidden by magic.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 8:38am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:20am:
So if I recall, True Seeing USED to just be "You see everything invisible and detect all secret doors automagically". Today, True Seeing is "find secret doors that have a DC of 30 or less" which is... some of the doors on Korthos, if you're playing on Hard? I wear a true seeing item on my main and can't remember the last time I actually hit a secret door DC, I don't believe it's ever happened on epic.

And yet several Legendary items have the same old version of true seeing? Why did this effect deserve to be nerfed so hard?

I find the change annoying even though I understand why they did it.

The "fuck you, now you can't even Spot them anymore" bug fix is what irks me. I don't mind swapping in my Search trinket and hitting the Search action, but I'm bad enough to need a reminder to do that. I'd love to know how much Spot is needed. Like, can I just slot a Spot augment at cap and that's enough? Do I need some more than that? What's that ringing sound that I can't locate? Why do kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:45am:
Answer: They fixed a 7 year old bug

And yet ladders remain broken...

NOTpopejubal wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 8:38am:
I find the change annoying even though I understand why they did it.

The "fuck you, now you can't even Spot them anymore" bug fix is what irks me. I don't mind swapping in my Search trinket and hitting the Search action, but I'm bad enough to need a reminder to do that. I'd love to know how much Spot is needed. Like, can I just slot a Spot augment at cap and that's enough? Do I need some more than that? What's that ringing sound that I can't locate? Why do kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Yeah its fuckin annoying as hell. I liked back in the day simply being able to slot true seeing, and then if there was a secret door I saw it. Yay! Made running new content exciting and interesting, and brough back the explorative aspect of it.

They seem to be designing entirely around "memorization" as the key mechanic - EG "don't bother putting points into Spot, just know where all the doors are and search for them!" So either run fresh content on low difficulty or never find the secret door because you don't happen to be min/maxed around a seldom-used skill.

Shit like this is why I feel 0 guilt about exploiting.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Shit like this is why I feel 0 guilt about exploiting.

Yap. They always have time to 'fix' things which helps players to enjoy the game.
I am sure they are having sleepless nights regarding the boxes, not because they are losing money, but players are finding it fun to get more past lives without grinding or trying a build at cap (and can revert back quickly if it doesn't work out) and this fun has to be 'fixed'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I really have never seen a game where the development team was as openly hostile towards their player base. And that counts games where the player base is hostile towards the devs.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Secret doors that are necessary for completion are approximately DC 0, so True Seeing will get those (Epic Maze of Madness, Thread of the Weave, etc)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 9:24am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 4th, 2020 at 12:35am:
Secret doors that are necessary for completion are approximately DC 0, so True Seeing will get those (Epic Maze of Madness, Thread of the Weave, etc)

The quest that made me want to craft a Search trinket was Amber Temple. The secret door that connects the Lich to the Library needs it and the secret door that connects the library to the one treasure room needs it.

Those two secret doors aren't necessary to completion, but they do make the quest worlds easier/faster than having to go the long way around.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I don't know what the secret door at the beginning of Slavers has, but it is 100% necessary to advance the quest and I have failed to hit the DC... because I fucking thought my true-seeing item would detect it.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I just went into Legendary Slavers Part 1 on R10. My True Seeing item lit up the door for me as soon as I walked near it.

I did not have my search item equipped.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Maybe the game just fucking hates me?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Maybe you thought you had True Seeing on?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint