Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SSG fails at communicating their failure at communication... (Read 6596 times)
makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: SSG fails at communicating their failure at communication...
Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 6:58pm:
My experience in software development is that it is rarely a good idea to share designs that are not finalized with end users.   It only leads to negative energy when the final design is released and there are differences (which you, as the developer knew there would be.  That's why your design wasn't final yet).

Really because software design and architecture is the exact opposite in my experience. The customer (or if its inhouse, then your boss) lays out requirements they want the system to meet. Whether you are doing AGILE or older waterfall based design philosophies, you still have pretty rigid core system requirements.

And if you are doing AGILE, the whole point is to iterate on customer feedback. You get an early prototype to test and showcase to customers, so that they can help you give them the product that they ultimately want.

With waterfall and older design philosophies, you build out the design for subsystems with a rigid system architecture and before any development whatsoever starts, you get approval from the customer. You do this so they can know how you are meeting the requirements, what they can expect from you, and ultimately give input on things that may not have made the list of requirements but they decide need to be added. You do all this, because in these design philosophies it is much cheaper to iterate based on customer feedback early on.

Either way, a very simple system requirement may be that the level 20-30 process doesn't get more tedious, less balanced, or harder. Level gated destinies seem to suggest that this is not a requirement. At the very least, they could state what their requirements or design goals are for the system. It is literally impossible for them to not have this already if they already showcased a design proposal to the PC.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
makar wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 7:36pm:
Really because software design and architecture is the exact opposite in my experience. The customer (or if its inhouse, then your boss) lays out requirements they want the system to meet. Whether you are doing AGILE or older waterfall based design philosophies, you still have pretty rigid core system requirements.

And if you are doing AGILE, the whole point is to iterate on customer feedback. You get an early prototype to test and showcase to customers, so that they can help you give them the product that they ultimately want.

With waterfall and older design philosophies, you build out the design for subsystems with a rigid system architecture and before any development whatsoever starts, you get approval from the customer. You do this so they can know how you are meeting the requirements, what they can expect from you, and ultimately give input on things that may not have made the list of requirements but they decide need to be added. You do all this, because in these design philosophies it is much cheaper to iterate based on customer feedback early on.

Either way, a very simple system requirement may be that the level 20-30 process doesn't get more tedious, less balanced, or harder. Level gated destinies seem to suggest that this is not a requirement. At the very least, they could state what their requirements or design goals are for the system. It is literally impossible for them to not have this already if they already showcased a design proposal to the PC.

I'm not sure what kind of Agile development methodology your organizations have been using, but it doesn't match my experience.  The end user base is almost never the Product Owner who creates the Stories in Agile development.   (and is also involved in the Epics, Solutions, and Features which the Stores are based on).  It may be department head, division manager or boss, sure.    In this scenario that is going to be your Producer.   I've never seen anyone use "the general public" as their Product Owner who is involved in Solutions, Features, or Stories.  Which is what you are suggesting if you want the MoBo's involved in the overall ED design.   

Also, SSG does have a smaller control group (the PC) for iterative feedback.   Which many companies also use in agile as they get into .   Going to a user base of thousands for feedback, however, is not done early in design.

To your comments on the ED design, giving a partial picture of such a large system is rarely going to yield a positive result.  The gaps will be filled in by assumptions.  Based either on hope or fear.   Neither of which will probably match the end result. 

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 8:00am
Print Post  
The general public is the customer. And theres just a wee bit of blah blah blah about customer focus in all the agile garbage if I am not mistaken.

The problem with them, is they ignore what their customers want half the time. And I think that's the crux of the issue here.

I'm not saying it easy to parse what screaming forumites want into a coherent product, but they are famous for "corrupt a wish" which is why I look forward to the ML 8 70% fortification augments in the new system they are working on.

People get pissed, because it looks like they don't listen most of the time to player feedback.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:31pm:
Also, SSG does have a smaller control group (the PC) for iterative feedback.

Its already been shown repeatedly both from former and current PC members as well as what we see with our own eyes that the PC is a sham.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 6:58pm:
I'm just curious, why should they tell us anything before the system is ready to be shared?   What's the logic in prematurely sharing a half baked system that is subject to change besides "We want it now.  We don't want to wait."?

A system doesn't have to be fully-formed to answer basic questions like "will EDs be level-gated?" This is a yes-fucking-no question and if they don't know that then they should notice how resistant everyone is to the notion and say "no".

That being said, the other problem is, as others have pointed out: SSG's idea of "Ready to share" is "Fully engineered and coded into the game" at which point if their change is crap they can't fix it.

There is not one fucking reason on the planet why they can't, at the very start of the design cycle, ask basic questions about fundamental changes, get feedback, and adjust their designs accordingly. They could ask the community things like "How would you feel if we level-gated EDs?" and if the player base shouts it down hard, maybe not proceed with such an obviously unpopular change. Of a core change like that is so reviled, no amount of "good design" is going to make up for it.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:31pm:
I'm not sure what kind of Agile development methodology your organizations have been using, but it doesn't match my experience. 

So Ash, let me ask you a hypothetical:

Let's say you signed a contract with a customer to develop a piece of software for them. You don't ask any questions, just wrote it, tested, bug, fixed, and engineered the entire product without their input, then delivered it to them finished. When the customer receives the finished software, they tell you that while it is well-engineered and has few bugs, it does not work at all for their business on a fundamental level, and you would have to scrap the entire thing and start over from scratch to fix it.

So, you tell the customer you can't fix it and oh by the way they still have to pay you for it. Now let's say that customer takes one look at it and says "I hate every single thing about this. And while I can't technically sue you for breach of contract, I will never, ever, buy from your company again and I will tell everyone who listens not to buy from you either."

If that happens, are you going to pat yourself on the back and say job well-done?

Because this is  exactly what SSG does.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 7:10pm:
Leak? Where?

Care to re-post here if it was on the DDO Forums but taken down?

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1592843392/0#0

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #32 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 12:28pm:
A system doesn't have to be fully-formed to answer basic questions like "will EDs be level-gated?" This is a yes-fucking-no question and if they don't know that then they should notice how resistant everyone is to the notion and say "no".

It's not that simple.  That one question gives you no information.  That's like saying Do you want to accept a job to work for me?   Yes or No?   No more information is being provided.  Not salary, not job location, not duties and responsibilities, not who you work with.  Nothing.   It might be working in a research station in Alaska, it might be window cleaning the Sears tower, it might be applying suntan lotion to models and holding up the towels for them to change behind at the SI swimsuit issue photo shoot.   If you had an opinion on whether you want the job or not with no more info, you'd either be a fool or guessing at what the job was and hoping your guess was right.   But the correct answer is I don't know.  I need more information to make an informed decision. 

The same thing would be true if someone asked "how would you feel if ED's were level gated"?   If you said "I hate it" or "I love it" then you are reacting strictly based on some guess at what that means, but no facts.   So the only thing asking that question would get you is an answer to "who are the morons in our player base whose input we definitely want to ignore?"  Find the ones who withhold judgement and ask for more information.  Those are the ones capable of rational thought. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #33 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 12:43pm:
So Ash, let me ask you a hypothetical:

Let's say you signed a contract with a customer to develop a piece of software for them. You don't ask any questions, just wrote it, tested, bug, fixed, and engineered the entire product without their input, then delivered it to them finished. When the customer receives the finished software, they tell you that while it is well-engineered and has few bugs, it does not work at all for their business on a fundamental level, and you would have to scrap the entire thing and start over from scratch to fix it.

So, you tell the customer you can't fix it and oh by the way they still have to pay you for it. Now let's say that customer takes one look at it and says "I hate every single thing about this. And while I can't technically sue you for breach of contract, I will never, ever, buy from your company again and I will tell everyone who listens not to buy from you either."

If that happens, are you going to pat yourself on the back and say job well-done?

Because this is  exactly what SSG does.

Again, you are removing the Product Owner and stakeholders from the project plan.   That's nonsensical and you know it. 

But, again, Product Owner/Stakeholder <> entire end user base.   I certainly would not start directly querying hundreds or thousands of end users for what they want to see in the new product.  I'd ask for a Product Owner and a few other project team members to come from the customer.  Ones who were key stakeholders over specific parts of the system.  Maybe a sales lead, a manufacturing lead, an accounting lead.   That sort of thing.   

The player base as a whole and Lamania is used for integration testing, systems testing, and acceptance testing.   That is the role of the end user groups in almost every SDLC.

I can't think of a game out there that does it any differently.  I can't think of a single SDLC that involves a large user base earlier in design. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 3:47pm:
The player base as a whole and Lamania is used for integration testing, systems testing, and acceptance testing.

Are you deaf?

By the time something hits Lamania it's too late to change anything.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:01pm:
Are you deaf?

That's not 100% true. It's "only" 95% true.

When things hit Llamaland, it can still be tweaked. But if abilities and/or AP, etc. are level gated when it hits Llama, then it's GOING to be level gated when it hits live. The only question is just how much gating will there be.

Asheras I get what you're trying to say here, but you're just wrong. When SSG makes their product, the players don't need to be involved in every single decision. But when the plans are leaked and there is such a huge negative reaction that SSG ends up scrapping the entire design to start over, then *MAYBE* they should involve us in the design a little bit so that we don't choke on the shit they try to feed us again.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #36 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Are you deaf?

This is too far. If you read the Lama dev tracker, they’re literally changing things based on feedback. Every preview they have. I’m not arguing it’s enough. I’m just saying your charge of “anything” is too far.

The new Alchem is a fair bit different than what it started out as based on feedback. To be clear, it’s still not how I would want it, but it’s a lot better than it started out.

Carry on.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #37 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:18pm:

When things hit Llamaland, it can still be tweaked. But if abilities and/or AP, etc. are level gated when it hits Llama, then it's GOING to be level gated when it hits live. The only question is just how much gating will there be.

Asheras I get what you're trying to say here, but you're just wrong. When SSG makes their product, the players don't need to be involved in every single decision. But when the plans are leaked and there is such a huge negative reaction that SSG ends up scrapping the entire design to start over, then *MAYBE* they should involve us in the design a little bit so that we don't choke on the shit they try to feed us again.

I generally agree.

However, I went back and read what they said before. It may not be all bad. They’re trying to let us buy from multiple destinies (power gain). BUT they have to gate something to limit that power. It’s probably a net nerf at 20, but it might not be that bad, and it might be pretty great at 30.

I’m not sure why I’m optimistic at all, but I’m on a “wait and see” mode myself.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:20pm:
This is too far. If you read the Lama dev tracker, they’re literally changing things based on feedback. Every preview they have. I’m not arguing it’s enough. I’m just saying your charge of “anything” is too far.

The new Alchem is a fair bit different than what it started out as based on feedback. To be clear, it’s still not how I would want it, but it’s a lot better than it started out.

Carry on.

They'll certainly make little tweeks here and there. but they can't change anything fundamental by that point. So for example something as innate as level-gating EDs isn't going to be changed if it hits Lama.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #39 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:18pm:

When something reaches Lama, it is there for testing, not for design feedback.   Testing is for finding bugs, not proof of concept.  The biggest disconnect in the player base is that they give proof of concept feedback during the testing phase because they don't really understand what the phases of the SDLC are and what their role in that process is. 

Despite the fact that it isn't a design review, you will get some tweaks based on balance and such, but massive changes in direction aren't happening because this isn't a design discussion it is testing. 

Your second comment is not accurate.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #40 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 4:24pm:
However, I went back and read what they said before. It may not be all bad. They’re trying to let us buy from multiple destinies (power gain). BUT they have to gate something to limit that power. It’s probably a net nerf at 20, but it might not be that bad, and it might be pretty great at 30.

It might be pretty great at 30, but it already sucks at 20. EDs make up for a lot of the massive gear shortcomings. Right at 20 you're basically still using your lvl 15 gear. At 21 you get to add a couple pieces of KotB. Then thats it until 26 if you have LGS and the right raid gear, or 28 for Slavers; for most of us its "wear your ML21 items all the way to 29". And we need the EDs to keep pace.

Epic PLs are the last really fun PLs to actually grind out. But I guess SSG would prefer we hate every second of it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #41 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Are you deaf?

That's what testing is.

I thought you worked in software development.  Is it your experience that developers alter design specs based on  testing results?      

Testing is for finding bugs and and making minor adjustments to accommodate unanticipated scenarios when walking every path.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Lammania is not a test server.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #43 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #44 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 5:22pm:
Lammania is not a test server.

No.  Technically it is a preview server.   It is basically like a trailer for a movie or an audience test screening for a movie.   Based on audience reaction, they may go back and switch to an alternate ending or do some reshoots/edits on a few scenes.  But they aren't changing out the lead actor, for example, or altering the plot.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #45 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Ok. So, what we need is a better way to input in the design phase. Is there a good way outside of PC?

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #46 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:23am:
Ok. So, what we need is a better way to input in the design phase. Is there a good way outside of PC?

The PC would work if they actually listened to the PC. It's been explained by several current and former PC members that SSG expects them to be a bunch of spineless yesmen and exist only to provide confirmation bias. PC told SSG flat out "level gating EDs is bad". Think they listened? Hell no.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:14am
Print Post  
PC was never intended to be what the players thought it was.  It was a good way to let the players think they had a voice without really exerting a lot of effort on SSG/Turbine's part.

SSG/Turbine was a bad actor from the beginning in creating the PC.  Not exactly a surprise that they lied about the purpose of the PC.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:14am:
SSG/Turbine was a bad actor from the beginning in creating the PC.  Not exactly a surprise that they lied about the purpose of the PC.

Its no wonder no one feels any guilt at the rampant cheating.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:30pm:
Its no wonder no one feels any guilt at the rampant cheating.

Yep.  Totally unsurprising given how the game is managed.  I was against duping and such for a long time, until I realized that its mostly a reaction against the grind.  If SSG/Turbine managed their game better and wasn't constantly playing some kind of internal game against its own players, they would maybe get some sympathy from me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint