Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SSG fails at communicating their failure at communication... (Read 6590 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: SSG fails at communicating their failure at communication...
Reply #75 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 11:27am:
This is exactly what I thought we were getting when I first heard about the cap increase, was really excited, and started workshopping new builds. Was really disappointed.

I was thinking level 20-30 would be taking a level in a class of some sort, but that you had a choice:

1)  Take a level in an Epic Prestige Class that added more features to your Heroic Class. 

2)  OR take another heroic class level from a class that is not yet at level 20 would be interesting.   But no more than 20 heroic levels in any one class. 

But not generic levels with an ED system that was independent of the leveling.  I get, though, that they didn't want to penalize TRing.   Hence the process started out with "you don't lose the progress you made in leveling your ED's when you TR".   When Epic levels were only 5 levels and only took 3 million XP to cross (at the higher XP earn of epics) and all the content was the newest and most challenging in the game with the best loot to grind and there were no Epic Reincarnations, that made it a non-issue. 

Fast forward to 10 levels, outdated loot and content, and 8 million XP to cross 42 times for ER's and it is a bit of a different story.

This should be a a MAJOR part of whatever they design.   Learning that what they do today should scale over time as the loot and content ages.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #76 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:05pm:
This should be a a MAJOR part of whatever they design.   Learning that what they do today should scale over time as the loot and content ages.

Whats funny is OG out the box AD&D scaled just fine. I've talked to PnP players who did campaigns lasting 20+ years, where they had leveled to 50 playing 20 fighter/20 wizard/10 rogue. The DM had to get a bit creative, but the basic d20 mechanics scales just fine.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:25pm:
Whats funny is OG out the box AD&D scaled just fine. I've talked to PnP players who did campaigns lasting 20+ years, where they had leveled to 50 playing 20 fighter/20 wizard/10 rogue. The DM had to get a bit creative, but the basic d20 mechanics scales just fine.

It's almost like they have no clue what they're doing or something.   Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #78 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's almost like they have no clue what they're doing or something.   Grin

Much as I hate to agree with Ash, he pretty much hit the nail on the head: when SSG designs something, they NEVER think about how it's going to scale. So every time they design something for cap, its always going to be cap forever in their eyes.

....which is especially scary when you consider they are now planning to slowly raise the cap from 30 to 40. So that means every jump is going to be executed badly.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #79 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 3:36am:
EDs were a dumb idea in the first place. When people were asking for epic progression, they wanted more class levels. 25 paladin, 25 Sorcerer, 25 monk, etc. (better yet, 20 sorcerer/3 paladin/2 monk) Not commoner levels with a new enhancement system made of power creep. Literally nobody asked for that.

SOLID

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #80 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:15pm:
SOLID

SSG would have done really well to go that route. If you think about it, really the heart and soul of DDO is multi-classing and using clever building to overcome deficiencies. Let's say they kept the cap of any 1 class at 20, being able to have a 20-cap + 5-10 of another class would have been MUCH more fun and in-flavor than just generic levels.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #81 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:23pm:
SSG would have done really well to go that route. If you think about it, really the heart and soul of DDO is multi-classing and using clever building to overcome deficiencies. Let's say they kept the cap of any 1 class at 20, being able to have a 20-cap + 5-10 of another class would have been MUCH more fun and in-flavor than just generic levels.

They "tried" with Destinies that were pseudo class-blends. But, that's like doing the creativity FOR US instead of letting us pick/choose our combinations. It actually reduces options..

But this does show that there ARE interesting things they could do with an ED system pass. There was some quote by a dev talking about how they wanted them more like ENH where you can mix and match several. That's a GOOD thing. The level-gating was the potential problem.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #82 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 3:11pm:
They "tried" with Destinies that were pseudo class-blends. But, that's like doing the creativity FOR US instead of letting us pick/choose our combinations. It actually reduces options..

But this does show that there ARE interesting things they could do with an ED system pass. There was some quote by a dev talking about how they wanted them more like ENH where you can mix and match several. That's a GOOD thing. The level-gating was the potential problem.

The level-gating will kill epics. No question. Fortunately I've banked enough boxes not to have to worry about it, but I am still against level-gating EDs because I would really like to play epics if they fix the gear desert.

But yeah, the way EDs ended up working out as "pseudo class-blends"... sucks. A lot of them are weak even if paired with the class they are designed to work on, and several are 100% useless if you aren't playing the right class. Try to lvl Fury of the Wild on anything other than a barbarian, or Grand Master of Flowers while not centered. Could argue that it should be that way, but most of the other EDs aren't so narrowly pidgeon-holled.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #83 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Level 20-30 should have been taking levels in a class that isn't already at 20.  None of this Epic Destiny stuff.  The Epic Past Lives would all be based on the levels you took in 20-30

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint