Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Do not buy from the idiots posting LFMs (Read 5153 times)
Charon
Ex Member

Re: Do not buy from the idiots posting LFMs
Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Why the bloody hell would someone want to log through an extra client.  The server data is probably in an sql database or similar.  A few queries to find people with suspicious inventory,  and turning on logging on those accounts to find evidence,  and having it "email" you a nice report would be so much much easier.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why the bloody hell would someone want to log through an extra client.  The server data is probably in an sql database or similar.  A few queries to find people with suspicious inventory,  and turning on logging on those accounts to find evidence,  and having it "email" you a nice report would be so much much easier. 

Because SSG doesn't have a full-time DBA, and SQL queries are tricky.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 2:55pm:
random brazilians run private video game servers for games that serve 10,000s of people per day and handle astronomical amounts of high speed data and have no issue retaining ass loads of it for a long time.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Just the bandwidth alone to handle "10,000s of people per day" is not something you can get piped into an old dell server running in your garage. You need a datacenter colocation to get that kind of bandwidth.

Yeah, when it comes to rogue servers like the WoW emulators, you can get decent performance cobbling together a system out of consumer hardware but you won't get anywhere near the capacity(for reference: Blizzard builds entire datacenters just for running WoW).

If you're just talking about dumping logs to a non-redundant/low redundant storage server? Yeah, some "brazilians" can shove a bunch of commodity-grade drives in an old PC tower and get 100tb log server for cheap.

But there is a HUGE difference between "what some randos in brazzil can build" and what actual professional-grade hosting infrastructure costs.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #28 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 1:37pm:
I haven't looked at the executables, but there's a fair level of chances that the client contains everything needed, and a special client is not needed.

I have logged in (once) and was given Admin permission.  I logged out and back in and it was gone. Many years ago. Sadly I no longer remember what things were available to me then. 

Conditional compilation should mean an in house client built from same source should be different from the release client with extra powers, and that should use the log extract flav posted to make sure you have access.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 29th, 2020 at 9:38pm:
So the point I think you missed here, and I'll say it slow cuz I'm a nice guy:
You’re a guy? Always assumed you were a chick ...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Ferd wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:47pm:
You’re a guy? Always assumed you were a chick ...

Gender is a construct.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:12pm:
Gender is a construct.

Its warforged.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:25pm:

Just the bandwidth alone to handle "10,000s of people per day" is not something you can get piped into an old dell server running in your garage. You need a datacenter colocation to get that kind of bandwidth.

You'd be surprised. Where I live, I can easily get a 100GbE fiber line run to a store or even a residence if I were willing to pay to run it a short distance (less than a mile) underground.

Quote:
But there is a HUGE difference between "what some randos in brazzil can build" and what actual professional-grade hosting infrastructure costs.

VERY true.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:36pm:
You'd be surprised. Where I live, I can easily get a 100GbE fiber line run to a store or even a residence if I were willing to pay to run it a short distance (less than a mile) underground.

So Flav can probably explain this better than I can, but there's different tiers of priority in terms of internet connections. So yeah you can get a lone that will give you 100GbE on a speed-test, but it won't have the same same actual useful thru-put as a higher grade of service.

Also, while you might only live a mile from an internet hub, that ain't true for everyone Tongue I can't even get decent fiber where I live and I'm only 2 miles from a major switching site. The telecom companies just won't invest in the infrastructure to get a good line out to me.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #34 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 5:01pm:
So Flav can probably explain this better than I can, but there's different tiers of priority in terms of internet connections. So yeah you can get a lone that will give you 100GbE on a speed-test, but it won't have the same same actual useful thru-put as a higher grade of service.

Also, while you might only live a mile from an internet hub, that ain't true for everyone Tongue I can't even get decent fiber where I live and I'm only 2 miles from a major switching site. The telecom companies just won't invest in the infrastructure to get a good line out to me.

No. You're missing my point.

I can get the exact connection data centers get but I can get it in my town.

I know because I convinced a Tier 2 service provider to run a couple conduits-worth of 144 fiber strands through it. There's a connectivity hut other local, Tier 3 providers can use to gain truly diverse internet connection in case their current tier 2 provider goes down. We even have access to two electric grids where I live that I can access if I want.

Yes, if I wanted, I could run a fully redundant or even a truly diverse connectivity environment if I want with as much bandwidth I can pay for.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 6:13pm:

I know because I convinced a Tier 2 service provider to run a couple conduits-worth of 144 fiber strands through it. There's a connectivity hut other local, Tier 3 providers can use to gain truly diverse internet connection in case their current tier 2 provider goes down. We even have access to two electric grids where I live that I can access if I want.

Yes, if I wanted, I could run a fully redundant or even a truly diverse connectivity environment if I want with as much bandwidth I can pay for.

Yeah? Well, you're a NERD!

Sorry. Carry on.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 6:41pm
Print Post  

Ah yes. This is true. Enough money can buy you anything Tongue

I will never forget having to explain all this crap all this crap to the mattress store owner I worked for back in the day, who wanted a T1 line for the office so he could host the website's servers locally and download 30,000 penis enhancement emails a day. Dude did not understand technology, really, really thought he did.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

Reply #37 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 2:55pm:
Random brazilians run private video game servers for games that serve 10,000s of people per day and handle astronomical amounts of high speed data and have no issue retaining ass loads of it for a long time.

Funny you'd mention that. It all makes sense now.
A while ago i was playing a game from a Brazilian company called Wildlife Studios.
Seeing their disgustingly most expensive cash shop, i just had to look up their income reports. Turns out, they're a subsidiary of a Chinese company in Hong Kong.
Brazil being in complete shit of an economical crisis, it would make sense for the CCP to spread their influence. Like Tencent assimilating every game dev studios out there.

That said. Have you ever been to China, Korea and Japan?
Their technological infrastructure is years ahead of the west. They don't share their best innovations with us, we get their shitty old tech. Their fucking fridges have faster internet connection than your potato PC.

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 8:54pm:
Their technological infrastructure is years ahead of the west.

Dude.

I WORK in the fucking tech industry. You haven't a god damn clue how stupid you sound right now.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #39 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 9:46pm:
You haven't a god damn clue how stupid you sound right now.

I can relate to this.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #40 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Retards chasing nickels from people copying monopoly money when one of the core features of their game (chat) has been inoperable for what? Six weeks?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #41 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:25pm:

Just the bandwidth alone to handle "10,000s of people per day" is not something you can get piped into an old dell server running in your garage.
Yeah, some "brazilians" can shove a bunch of commodity-grade drives in an old PC tower and get 100tb log server for cheap. But there is a HUGE difference between "what some randos in brazzil can build" and what actual professional-grade hosting infrastructure costs.

https://www.game-state.com/index.php?game=samp

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

DupeHero2
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 1:11am
Print Post  
4 people on Cannith were banned today. One of them I had previously warned about boxing in public.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #43 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Quote:

Agreed.  There's more than one way to find out what they need to know.

You would have to determine then whether the inventory is suspicious, as you said, so it would require some more work.

You would have to determine the source of the inventory.  Was it from a trade, was it from the store, was it from the auction house or perhaps from a daily dice roll.  Perhaps from all four sources for a stack of items.  How to determine which.  Reconciling against store purchases is easy considering we can see that now but ...

If I have 16 heroic ottos in my pack, what's to say I didn't get them from a legitimate trade.  Not unreasonable.  Maybe a mix of purchases and trades.

So yes, a database report would be super useful and then monitor certain characters activity that seem suspicious.  That's where the real time monitoring can trap suspicious behaviour in action.  No one need sit there and watch it, it too can send a report for investigation.

What their database needs is a field/column on any store bought item that holds the purchase transaction reference.  Even if the item is traded/auctioned it can be traced back to a purchase.  Should have been done from the moment the store was created.  Any sql query reconciliation against store purchase history is going to show duped items like dogs balls.

So I'm assuming there is no such field/column.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #44 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:49am
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 5:56am:
What their database needs is a field/column on any store bought item that holds the purchase transaction reference.  Even if the item is traded/auctioned it can be traced back to a purchase.  Should have been done from the moment the store was created.  Any sql query reconciliation against store purchase history is going to show duped items like dogs balls.

It doesn't work for stackable items based on their DB design reflecting the UI design.  A stackable item is one single row, with a count on it, it will have also have a unique ID

Buy a Box
Name Count UniqueID
Heroic Box 1 1
Heroic Box 1 2

you then combine those 2 into 1 in the UI
Name Count UniqueID
Heroic Box 2 ?????

what does in the UniqueID field?  it's setup to only contain a single value. 
that's the problem with them tracking it. 

if boxes were non stackable then it would work

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Internet
Reply #45 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 5:01pm:

It's more getting beig able to plug into an existing fiber that's not far away...

It might seem weird but here in France if you want a good Tier 2/Tier 3 backbone connectivity you need to be near a motorway, a river or a waterway... Because that's where the main backbone fibers are hidden underground. There's more connectivity hiddent in that small hut at the bottom of the mobile pylon on the side of the motorway ( up to and including ISPs PoPs in a shared rack ) than in many areas in Paris.
But getting the fiber connected is not the only thing, you'll have to go through some kind of ISP or become your own ISP by installing the hardware needed to interract with the Tier 2 Carrier.

An as mentioned, it coest a lot of money.

Halfmaniac wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 8:54pm:
Their technological infrastructure is years ahead of the west.

What is your definition of the west ?
a good part of Western Europe is on par when it comes to technological infrastructure with China, Korea and Japan.
After all there's huge parts of China that's still stuck in the Middle Age ( woodfire for cooking and heating, no electricity, no rorad, no running water, ... ) and a few other parts that are being pushed into stone age...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Internet
Reply #46 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:03pm:
It's more getting beig able to plug into an existing fiber that's not far away...

It might seem weird but here in France if you want a good Tier 2/Tier 3 backbone connectivity you need to be near a motorway, a river or a waterway... Because that's where the main backbone fibers are hidden underground. There's more connectivity hiddent in that small hut at the bottom of the mobile pylon on the side of the motorway ( up to and including ISPs PoPs in a shared rack ) than in many areas in Paris.
But getting the fiber connected is not the only thing, you'll have to go through some kind of ISP or become your own ISP by installing the hardware needed to interract with the Tier 2 Carrier.

An as mentioned, it coest a lot of money.

I have the know-how to become my own Tier 3 provider/ISP. It's not THAT hard.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #47 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:50pm:
I have the know-how to become my own Tier 3 provider/ISP. It's not THAT hard.

Pictured: All the know-how required:

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #48 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:03pm:

For sure. But I've been in IT for over 23 years now. You pick up lots of things along the way in addition to all the certifications.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #49 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:20pm:
For sure. But I've been in IT for over 23 years now. You pick up lots of things along the way in addition to all the certifications.

Oh totally. That's why I got into IT in the first place, curious how all this shit worked.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint