Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Kind of funny/kind of sad (Read 9117 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Kind of funny/kind of sad
Oct 9th, 2020 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/518592-please-ONE-guaranteed-key-per-r...

So there's the ongoing problem with the way RNG is just a complete dick to some players, and its never more visible than during night revels. Last year when I actually tried to play it I went so many runs without a key I actually got on to the motherboards and asked if it was bugged. Had multiple other players with the same question.

Watching the dev response this year makes me laugh and cry: basically they are admitting, yes, its totally possible to spend hours grinding the graveyard without picking up a single key, and if that happens to you that just sucks and you should keep grinding. Like what the fuck SSG? You know your game is bad and people are angry, and you're just not going to fix it?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Goon
Korthos Resident

Re: Kind of funny/kind of sad
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I started dragging in 5 alt account characters with the intention of handing their keys over since the keys are not bound. Getting kind of frustrated at the drop rates myself.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Its a really good example of the drop rate problem with named items in chests, where its not even enough.

Yes, over the course of 100,000 runs the drop rate will eventually even out, but the average player does not do 100,000 runs. They need to see the drop rate even out over 10 or 20 runs.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:49pm:
Its a really good example of the drop rate problem with named items in chests, where its not even enough.

Yes, over the course of 100,000 runs the drop rate will eventually even out, but the average player does not do 100,000 runs. They need to see the drop rate even out over 10 or 20 runs.

This is why I like the raid rune system. It would SUCK to have a rune for every quest.. But something LIKE that for named grinding would be good. Some kind of guaranteed progress is the key.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:52pm:
This is why I like the raid rune system. It would SUCK to have a rune for every quest.. But something LIKE that for named grinding would be good. Some kind of guaranteed progress is the key.

The raid rune system is fantastic. The previous system not only suffered from even worse RNG suck but meant you HAD to run the raid on the specific character you needed it on. The runes were a godsend.

All they really need for the regular named item drop rate is to look at their fucking RNG code and smooth out the massive bumps.

Its part of the ongoing problem with the devs not actually PLAYING the game. When they look at data for drop rates they look at data over 100,000s of chest-pulls, and since the averages at that level look ok, they think it's ok. One the rare occasions they DO play the game, they just spawn whatever items they want.

Meanwhile if you actually sat a dev down on a normal account with a lvl 15 first-life character and told them "you need to get a Family Recruit Sigil, you have the rest of the afternoon, go." they'd actually see how big a problem it is.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I’m averaging 3 keys per run solo and 4-5 keys per run with 5 alt accounts sitting at the entrance.  I ran it 5 times now and haven’t gotten skunked yet. That doesn’t mean the drop rate is good because obviously people are having problems, but I wonder if there’s something in the settings or in the level difference that SSG hasn’t mentioned.

Level 30 Alchemist running the main quest at 35 with level 24 alts parked at the entrance just to provide dungeon scaling.

I have the dregs of a 30% XP pot running and I have leftover Treasure Hunter potion running since I have a billion of those (all gotten 100% legit). Just the one that gives a bonus to special random lootgen chance. Not the one that gives higher names loot drop rate.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 6:52pm:

Agreed but we did (still have) something like that. Old chains such as Inspired Quarter and "Missing" (the one where you fight the mind flayer in EK armor at end) rewarded players for completing the chain 3 times with a choice of a some named items from the chain.

Now we have chains such as ravenloft and sharn with plenty more items that require a crazy ass farming for that one piece of gear that just won't drop. It took me something like around 50 runs of reach for the sky to get the freaking shattered onix. If they wanted they could have easily recycled the system since it's already in the code but you know...rockstars will be rockstars  Tongue

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 7:57pm:
I’m averaging 3 keys per run solo and 4-5 keys per run with 5 alt accounts sitting at the entrance.  I ran it 5 times now and haven’t gotten skunked yet. That doesn’t mean the drop rate is good because obviously people are having problems, but I wonder if there’s something in the settings or in the level difference that SSG hasn’t mentioned.

Level 30 Alchemist running the main quest at 35 with level 24 alts parked at the entrance just to provide dungeon scaling.

I have the dregs of a 30% XP pot running and I have leftover Treasure Hunter potion running since I have a billion of those (all gotten 100% legit). Just the one that gives a bonus to special random lootgen chance. Not the one that gives higher names loot drop rate.

And see this is part of the problem: since the drop rates are not consistent in a recognizable time frame, you always have some players who feel like they "consistently" get good drop rates and others who are in a complete drought that lasts for days. Here on the vault where we can be honest, this is recognizable; but on the toxic motherboards you get asshole forum paladins shouting down every conversation with "WELL I JUST DID A RUN AND I PULLED X, SO YOU MUST BE WRONG!" fuckin forum bitches.

Anyway, this is what I think is happening:

Let's say for the sake of a nice round number that the drop rate for keys is 30%. That means that over 10 runs you should get 3 keys(for you literal-minded folk: I know this is not the actual drop rate, just creating an example).

The problem is, because of SSG's broken RNG, instead of getting 3 keys in 10 runs, you get 0 keys for 70 runs then 1 key a run for the next 30. For the guy who's in the middle of those 70 runs it doesn't feel like keys drop at all, while the guy in the 30 runs feels like the drop rate is much higher than stated(and will report such).

The problem is: since neither is likely to stick around for/document 100 runs, both are going to walk away from the experience with drastically different perceptions of the drop rate. Worse still, SSG is just going to look at the numbers and say "30 keys dropped in 100 runs, the RNG is working correctly" then high-five and compliment each other's moustaches.

And this is why the broken loot mechanics will never be fixed.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 9:32pm:
Agreed but we did (still have) something like that. Old chains such as Inspired Quarter and "Missing" (the one where you fight the mind flayer in EK armor at end) rewarded players for completing the chain 3 times with a choice of a some named items from the chain.

Now we have chains such as ravenloft and sharn with plenty more items that require a crazy ass farming for that one piece of gear that just won't drop. It took me something like around 50 runs of reach for the sky to get the freaking shattered onix. If they wanted they could have easily recycled the system since it's already in the code but you know...rockstars will be rockstars  Tongue

Yep! Fuckin'aye!

A couple weeks back while the free quests were up, I thought "let me grind out a Part of the Family set for an alt account so I can have a decently geared character for friends to play". I had 6 accounts to fuck with. First 2 pieces took next to no effort, 3 runs max, picked up some shinnies along the way, bob's your uncle.

Then came the Family Recruit Sigil.

It took 500 chest pulls.

Five.
Hundred.

FIVE.
H.U.N.D.R.E.D.

That was ransacking the chest 3 times on R1 with 6 characters, max rerolls, and elixers of discovery. I used every dirty trick in the book, including doing several EPLs on my main to reset the ransack penalty on that character. Its was fucking nuts. I had the same problem with the Enigma Core from Reach for the Sky, which took about 900. I gave up on getting a heroic repeating heavy crossbow out of ToEE after about 1,000 chest pulls, and all that pails in comparison to my efforts to obtain an heroic spinneret from Slavers.

But no, SSG doesn't think we need any protection against RNG. Its fine, guys, really.

Fuck them. And they wonder why we duped boxes?

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I ran 6 times solo so far on a lvl 18 air sorc at 16 and 18th lvl diff and I've gotten at least 1 key every run.

The same toon farms Strinatis handcannon half a dozen times in 3bc whenever I'm 7th lvl and I've been pulling one on average every 3rd time.  At this point, I just drop them in the guild chest.

Told those humble brags just to add that I honestly think there is some hidden "luck" number on our toons and that my main got a good one.  Way too many times I've joined dudes farming groups and pulled exactly what the guy was looking for first run for me to believe the RNG is legit.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 10:51pm:
I ran 6 times solo so far on a lvl 18 air sorc at 16 and 18th lvl diff and I've gotten at least 1 key every run.

The same toon farms Strinatis handcannon half a dozen times in 3bc whenever I'm 7th lvl and I've been pulling one on average every 3rd time.  At this point, I just drop them in the guild chest.

Told those humble brags just to add that I honestly think there is some hidden "luck" number on our toons and that my main got a good one.  Way too many times I've joined dudes farming groups and pulled exactly what the guy was looking for first run for me to believe the RNG is legit.

Yeah. I don't wanna say it but I think its absolutely true. Some characters are very clearly "luckier" than others.

And it HAS happened in the past, in Asheron's Call, where most of DDO's source code came from.

Of course if their RNG was relatively simple, they could see the problem and fix it. But its clearly 9 times more complicated than it needs to be.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
But see thats exactly why we need some level of protection from the RNG. Yeah, some people are just going to be consistently unlucky... and eventually those people will get bored and go play something else.

I in fact had the same problem with PnP: consistently, any time I ever tried to do anything, I'd roll between a 3 and a 7(when the difficulty check was usually around 15). It got to the point where I didn't even bother, my characters followed the others around and I just sort of sat there until it was time to do something that didn't require a check. The DM refused to provide any sort of RNG protection, so when we took a break I just never came back. Wasn't fun.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
In my experience, unless you make a system that is completely non-random, some people are just consistently lucky/unlucky IRL.

It's easy to see in a pen and paper rpg. A friend of mine, the crazier shit he does in game, the better he rolls. It's uncanny.

Friend: "Imma jump from the crow's nest to leap attack the kraken."
Me: "That's...gonna be really difficult. Your character will probably die."
Friend: *shrugs*
Me: "Okay, roll jump...and may Pelor have mercy on your soul."
Friend: *rolls nat 20*
Me: "Wow. Okay, roll to hit."
Friend: "DEATH FROM ABOVE!" *rolls nat 20 and near maximum crit damage*
Me: *sigh* "The kraken roars in pain and goes into death throes. Let's see if you drown. Roll swim.
Friend *rolls nat 20*

And this is typical. Most people would accuse him of bringing loaded dice, but the dude doesn't own any dice. He does this shit while borrowing my dice, and they sure as shit don't roll like that for me!

Meanwhile another gamer at my table can't roll above a 10 to save his life. This guy gets decapitated by a Balor twice in the same round.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 11:04pm:
And this is typical. Most people would accuse him of bringing loaded dice, but the dude doesn't own any dice. He does this shit while borrowing my dice, and they sure as shit don't roll like that for me!

Meanwhile another gamer at my table can't roll above a 10 to save his life. This guy gets decapitated by a Balor twice in the same round.

I actually own loaded dice and they aren't that consistent. Though the look on the DMs face when he found out why my rogue was 1-shotting everything with pies was priceless...

You can't actually rig a D20 to roll high consistently. Assuming its made according to the modern standard number distribution, even trying to "load" one would more likely result in a dice that consistently roll 8, 2, or 14 just as often(and probably more so given the vaguries of the materials. Even my loaded D6s which will sometimes flip over when someone walks past the table can still roll a 1.

Funny side note: I own amidst my collection a d6 from ancient Persia, 2200 years old. Hand made from lapis lazuli. Modern D6s are always made so that the sum of the two opposite sides add up to 7(6 is on the opposite side of 1, 5-2, etc). This ancient dice lacks that convention. There's also a very interesting variance in the depths of the hand-drilled holes marking the numbers. The hole on the 1 goes almost 1/3rd of the way through the dice, while the holes on the 4 are extremely shallow. The 6 is also right next to the one.

Now, I know, logically, that the 7 convention simply didn't exist, and the vagaries of the hole depths are down to them being hand-drilled.

But, as I sit and stare at it, I like to imagine that, 2200 years ago, some clever gamer was trying to carefully create a loaded dice by modifying the weight distribution. Then, in his very first game, he got caught, punched in the face, and the dice rolled into some cleft where it sat before being unearthed in the 1970s when the records from the antiquities dealer tell me it was found.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 2:49am
Print Post  
The traditional way to cheat with a d20 is to ink in an extra zero on the "2" face and hope nobody looks closely. If you want to be pedantic about whether "loaded" is technically the correct word for that, I don't care.

Also, if you have dice with holes for pips, then to be fair, the "1" hole needs to be fairly deep so that each hole on the "6" face can each be 1/6 of that depth, each hole on the "5" face can be 1/5 of that depth, and so on.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 9:32pm:

There was a forum post where Lynnabel said she had to remove this reward system because of saga system and also wanted players to pull the loot from the chests. She was adamant on not bringing this system back so we are stuck with RNG gods forever.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 10th, 2020 at 2:49am:
The traditional way to cheat with a d20 is to ink in an extra zero on the "2" face and hope nobody looks closely. If you want to be pedantic about whether "loaded" is technically the correct word for that, I don't care.

I will have to try that. Thanks!

So not being pedantic, you can "load" dice by microwaving them. The interior heats up and melts, causing it so "sink" and make one side of the dice heavier than the other. This works great on D6s(usually done for cheating at craps) but not so well on a D20 since the heavy side would have a pretty even chance of landing you on a number near but lower than 20. That said, if you drew an extra 20 on the 2....

Hardcore_Girl wrote on Oct 10th, 2020 at 4:44am:
There was a forum post where Lynnabel said she had to remove this reward system because of saga system and also wanted players to pull the loot from the chests. She was adamant on not bringing this system back so we are stuck with RNG gods forever.

Oh yes, I saw that. Its always highly entertaining to watch SSG try to justify a terrible decision.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
[quote author=4849474B4F484349260 link=1602279820/11#11
I in fact had the same problem with PnP: consistently, any time I ever tried to do anything, I'd roll between a 3 and a 7(when the difficulty check was usually around 15). It got to the point where I didn't even bother, my characters followed the others around and I just sort of sat there until it was time to do something that didn't require a check. [/quote]

When this happens have your character tell NPC's how pissed off your character is at how unlucky he is and it's put his temper on a hair trigger. The first NPC that looks at him funny or says something, attack it and kill it.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 10th, 2020 at 7:53pm:
When this happens have your character tell NPC's how pissed off your character is at how unlucky he is and it's put his temper on a hair trigger. The first NPC that looks at him funny or says something, attack it and kill it.

Technically I was doing that anyway. According to my DM it doesn't matter what my character sheet says, my actual class is "murder hobo".

I think my absolute favorite PnP incident... because of the aforementioned constantly failing every single skill check ever, I had sort of been wandering around doing whatever while the rest of the party actually solved the evening's mystery. I quite literally was not paying any attention.

So got railroaded back to the party just before they arrived outside a locked door with a slot in the top. Since I was playing a goblin I asked someone to give me a boost, put my hand into the hole, and cast a maxed-out fireball.

Cue the genuine looks or horror on the rest of the party's face as they explained to me that the orphan child they had been searching for all night was in the room....

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Anyway, as I've said before, I'm pretty sure all of the rolls in this game are weighted, and mostly in our favor.

I remember back in the day people made a stink on the old forum and forced Turbine to acknowledge that spell damage was weighted. Someone was able to prove that you could never roll ones on, E.G., the 5d4 the Burning Hands was listed at. So what did Turbine do? They just changed the spell descriptions. So they went to 5d2+2 instead of 5d4 and 10d3+3 instead of 10d6. (They later increased a lot of those numbers in the spell damage balance pass relatively recently. So the 10d6 spells that went to 10d3+3 to admit the weighting are now listed at d6+3 per level. But a spell that didn't get updated in that pass, like Scorching Ray, is still listed at 4d3+12 per ray.)

Also, whenever I've compared a spreadsheet DPS calc to a live in game DPS test, the live numbers are always significantly ahead.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:18pm:
Anyway, as I've said before, I'm pretty sure all of the rolls in this game are weighted, and mostly in our favor.

I remember back in the day people made a stink on the old forum and forced Turbine to acknowledge that spell damage was weighted. Someone was able to prove that you could never roll ones on, E.G., the 5d4 the Burning Hands was listed at. So what did Turbine do? They just changed the spell descriptions. So they went to 5d2+2 instead of 5d4 and 10d3+3 instead of 10d6. (They later increased a lot of those numbers in the spell damage balance pass relatively recently. So the 10d6 spells that went to 10d3+3 to admit the weighting are now listed at d6+3 per level. But a spell that didn't get updated in that pass, like Scorching Ray, is still listed at 4d3+12 per ray.)

Also, whenever I've compared a spreadsheet DPS calc to a live in game DPS test, the live numbers are always significantly ahead.

See thats nice and all but I don't spend a lot of time painstakingly analyzing my spell damage, so the fact that those dice are weighted doesn't mean much.

Meanwhile the fact that I sometimes have to devote weeks of effort to obtain a relatively common item angers me to no small degree.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 2:30am
Print Post  
It means if you want them to do something about it, then you need to prove it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 3:47am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 11th, 2020 at 2:30am:
It means if you want them to do something about it, then you need to prove it.

Oh I did prove it. Had a huge fuckin spreadsheet and everything. Over 100 documented chest pulls on EE showing I was getting 10% named item drop rates instead of the claimed 33%. I got shouted down by forum paladins insisting there was no problem and that my rigoursly tested data was somehow "subjective experience". Then lynn came in and just copy/pasted the already published drop rates(which my data proves are inaccurate) and at that point i started calling the forum paladins assholes and got an infraction  for "censored swearing".

Then my computer shat itself and I lost the spreadsheet.

So the moral of this story, kids: don't use RAID0.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Yeah, nobody is going to GAF about your spreadsheet of 100 pulls. If you want to prove it, dig into the code.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 9:40am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 11th, 2020 at 3:47am:
Oh I did prove it. Had a huge fuckin spreadsheet and everything. Over 100 documented chest pulls on EE showing I was getting 10% named item drop rates instead of the claimed 33%. I got shouted down by forum paladins insisting there was no problem and that my rigoursly tested data was somehow "subjective experience". Then lynn came in and just copy/pasted the already published drop rates(which my data proves are inaccurate) and at that point i started calling the forum paladins assholes and got an infraction  for "censored swearing".

Then my computer shat itself and I lost the spreadsheet.

So the moral of this story, kids: don't use RAID0.

I believe it.  I've barked many times on the forum about drop rates and presented evidence too but got pretty much the same types of responses.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint