Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) VaultLeaks: Monk Changes Leak (Read 12400 times)
Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

VaultLeaks: Monk Changes Leak
Nov 16th, 2020 at 10:31am
Print Post  

Posted on the VaultLeaks board, which really should be a sub-board of this one. Someone let the mod know.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1605540616/0#0

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: VaultLeaks: Monk Changes Leak
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 10:47am
Print Post  
from my point of view yes it should be a sub board from here.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Look good.

Nothing for MRR problem though...

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Nov 16th, 2020 at 11:15am:
Look good.

Nothing for MRR problem though...

I know I'm going to catch flak for this; but should a class with access to improved evasion and good saves really need to have a high MMR cap?

Now, I know there are still some old monk tanks out there that'll lynch me for asking that. I'd argue maybe Earth Stance should have a MMR cap increase over the other stances. But really a monk getting past 100 would be absurd. I could argue the same for a Swash or Rogue above 100 in light being a bit crazy.

IP Logged

Sneaky Shadow Lurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:17pm:
I know I'm going to catch flak for this; but should a class with access to improved evasion and good saves really need to have a high MMR cap?

Now, I know there are still some old monk tanks out there that'll lynch me for asking that. I'd argue maybe Earth Stance should have a MMR cap increase over the other stances. But really a monk getting past 100 would be absurd. I could argue the same for a Swash or Rogue above 100 in light being a bit crazy.

When it was originally introduced? Probably not. Now? Definitely. Most of the damage doesn't get reduced by improved evasion anymore. If you don't have MRR, you are SOL. Heck if they would just up the cap to 100 for robes that would be helpful.

Everywhere

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
It's worth  considering WHEN the mrr cap was implemented. If you're wondering when, it was epic necro. Ten updates before reaper, 20 updates ago.

The game is  exceedingly different now, but SSG is  too thick headed to revisit mrr cap. All they have to do is  change robes to 100, light  armour to 150.

Hell,  if they're concerned about alchs/sorcs with too much mrr, implement a mrr  penalty  to the caster robes. (Oh,  wait, alchs already have evasion, more mrr cap from tree AND esoteric  raises mrr cap. nevermind)

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I suppose you two are right; though I think I'd rather see evasion being valuable again or a decrease in available MMR boosts before we give everyone a +50 cap across the board.

100 is about 50% reduction; 150% is about 65~ iirc. Not sure I feel like any of the potentially evasive folks need that, and certainly not casters. Fuck casters lol.

Outside of tanks really pushing for absurd MMR values, most folks aren't gearing past 200-250 anyway (atleast in medium armor, I'm sure heavy armor builds and those using defensive stances are going higher).  So the thought of a monk or assassin suddenly getting boosted towards 'reasonable' values feels a bit off given they've already got pretty solid defenses.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:52am:
I suppose you two are right; though I think I'd rather see evasion being valuable again or a decrease in available MMR boosts before we give everyone a +50 cap across the board.

100 is about 50% reduction; 150% is about 65~ iirc. Not sure I feel like any of the potentially evasive folks need that, and certainly not casters. Fuck casters lol.

Outside of tanks really pushing for absurd MMR values, most folks aren't gearing past 200-250 anyway (atleast in medium armor, I'm sure heavy armor builds and those using defensive stances are going higher).  So the thought of a monk or assassin suddenly getting boosted towards 'reasonable' values feels a bit off given they've already got pretty solid defenses.

Two main problems with Monks/MRR

1. Ray spells. Plenty of these. Evasion does nothing. Reaper Ray spells = one shot.
2. Sharn Reaper mobs have high DCs. So, even with high saves, you’re getting 1-2 shotted as a monk.
3. MELEE range AND low MRR is just rough.

Monks have to play like assassins. Glass cannons. Get in, stun and beat down OR quiv palm.

I don’t mind this SO much except there’s no melee alternative. I agree the main fix should just be an increase with earth stance. That alone would do a TON.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

i2049
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:09am
Print Post  
MRR never made sense anyway. Tell me more about how a set of metal armor protects you from a lightning bolt better than a simple robe.

Honestly I'm surprised SSG didn't at some point just change evasion/imp. evasion to give +25/50 MRR and MRR cap.

IP Logged

TeamScorpioRI
Korthos Resident

#MonkLife

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Sneaky Shadow Lurker wrote on Nov 16th, 2020 at 7:28pm:
When it was originally introduced? Probably not. Now? Definitely. Most of the damage doesn't get reduced by improved evasion anymore. If you don't have MRR, you are SOL. Heck if they would just up the cap to 100 for robes that would be helpful.

You can get a MMR cap to 100 with robes now.. It just requires some filigrees to do it (Mystical Defense 5 pc, and Frozen Wanderer 3 piece). You can also add another 20 MRR cap with the new Arcane Barrier Augment set... The downside is you are having to slot ALOT of filigrees to do it, and gear swapping is not recommended (or requires identical filigree sets on all handwraps).

I'd still like to see them put some form of MRR/PRR cap increase in there. My thought is to change the Diamond Body, Diamond Soul, Timeless Body, and Perfect Self feats to have a gradual increase to PRR/MRR cap, with the goal of by 20 (and Perfect Self) your PRR/MRR is that of light armor (BaB 1/100 cap)

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:42am
Print Post  
TeamScorpioRI wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:18am:
You can get a MMR cap to 100 with robes now.. It just requires some filigrees to do it (Mystical Defense 5 pc, and Frozen Wanderer 3 piece). You can also add another 20 MRR cap with the new Arcane Barrier Augment set... The downside is you are having to slot ALOT of filigrees to do it, and gear swapping is not recommended (or requires identical filigree sets on all handwraps).

AFAIK, these multiple sources of raising your MRR cap do NOT stack. 90 MRR is the best a cloth-wearer can attain.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

TeamScorpioRI
Korthos Resident

#MonkLife

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:42am:
AFAIK, these multiple sources of raising your MRR cap do NOT stack. 90 MRR is the best a cloth-wearer can attain.

Interesting. I have to look again (my monk is not at cap anymore as I am on a TR train). I thought there was something about as long as the filigrees are on different items (frozen wanderer on an artifact and mystical defense on the weapon) it would stack.

The augment SHOULD stack with other sources, but then again... that could very easily be broke.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
You used to be fine with just imp evasion or evasion and a good reflex. Evasion didn't change, but the quests did. AoE is supposed to allow a reflex save, but idiotic raid design keeps pushing the envelope of AoE damage, but not allowing a save for it. So evasion does nothing. They also started making mobs that act like fully automatic Polar Ray turrets.

Confirmed in game. Though we were promised that all filigree set bonuses would stack, so maybe they will fix it if we report it as a bug. make enough noise.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  

Well thats interesting news. Here I thought I was a raging sack of shit with only 90 MRR.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:29pm:
Well thats interesting news. Here I thought I was a raging sack of shit with only 90 MRR.

Well, you're not wrong.  Cheesy

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

TeamScorpioRI
Korthos Resident

#MonkLife

Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:03pm:
You used to be fine with just imp evasion or evasion and a good reflex. Evasion didn't change, but the quests did. AoE is supposed to allow a reflex save, but idiotic raid design keeps pushing the envelope of AoE damage, but not allowing a save for it. So evasion does nothing. They also started making mobs that act like fully automatic Polar Ray turrets.

Confirmed in game. Though we were promised that all filigree set bonuses would stack, so maybe they will fix it if we report it as a bug. make enough noise.

That is a bummer. Looks like I need to rethink some filigrees then. On the plus side, that will open things up for more DPS (mystical defense/electrocution will stay).

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Disclaimer: I only tested Nystul's set + Dance of the Wind set.

If a filigree set bonus and an artifact bonus aren't stacking, that should definitely be bug reported.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
When Eladrin (let him rot in hell) came up with the Armor changes just a week before MoTU we highlighted how it would screw monks - they didn't listen & tons of players left, ironically leading to fall in sales and he got kicked out(?).
PRR, MRR do not belong in D&D. 100% Fort is critical immunity. It is not D&Ds problem if these fucks handed out 100% fort gear like hot cakes.
At this point, I do not think they are going to revert back, so yeah monks are all fun and games until Doom bypasses the dodge or Vengeance starts shooting lasers.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I haven't played monks in years so please forgive stupid questions - or not.

Stance Upgrades now also replace the base attacks with higher versions as you level - so you'll only ever have the one elemental attack per stance.

Will this affect the vulnerability stacks?

All Elemental Strikes (including void, light, and dark) are now melee/ranged compatible and both will trigger the Combo system
Maybe a plus for monkchers, if they are still out there.

Ki generation on heroics is a bust anyway. They should add it for offhand and doublestrikes so that the use of more than 1 action is possible throughout a quest.

Ki can now be generated at range
+ for monkchers

Great changes to builders
All Finishing Moves now have Ranged counterparts
+ for monkchers

Core 6: Ninja Training III: +1 Sneak Attack Dice. While you are centered, you gain a chance based on your Dexterity score to throw an extra shuriken per attack.
- for shuriken throwers, extra shuries got moved from 3 to 6. You got fucked right here.

I am surprised they return to monk yet again before working on another class. But monks dropped from the scene pretty fast after the MRR Cap

How reliable is this source anyway, Strake?

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

TeamScorpioRI
Korthos Resident

#MonkLife

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:26am:
Ki generation on heroics is a bust anyway. They should add it for offhand and doublestrikes so that the use of more than 1 action is possible throughout a quest.

I think they mentioned a new feat at level 3 called Trance, which is supposed to help with Ki generation. Not clear if this is an auto-granted feat or something you have to chose. If it is an optional, then I don't know how it will slot in as feats are tight as they are.

IP Logged

Teth
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:10am
Print Post  

This is actually false; I tested mrr cap augment set and nystuuls and has the correct 110 result.  I did not try adding dance of the wind or frozen wanderer for more so those could be busted.

IP Logged

TeamScorpioRI
Korthos Resident

#MonkLife

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Teth wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:10am:
This is actually false; I tested mrr cap augment set and nystuuls and has the correct 110 result.  I did not try adding dance of the wind or frozen wanderer for more so those could be busted.

You have given me some hope! lol.. now just to grind out Strahd for 3 sets of armor.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Teth wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:10am:

So +MRR from augment set stacks with a filigree set. Good to know.

Thanks.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Dont trust this leak! They would never be making new changes without fixing all the broken stuff first!

IP Logged

C Troll
Korthos Resident

Fuck Off

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Looked like someone’s napkin list

No Henshin

Told them I wouldn’t even bother until it makes a stick

And now it’s 40, so they’ve years to fuck it up

Good luck rockstarz