Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Black Friday Sales! (Read 5188 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Black Friday Sales!
Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
...will be announced on friday. As usual. Because SSG does not understand hyper, anticipation, or really any concepts of marketing whatsoever. I guess they don't assume anyone will buedget or save for things and their sales are exclusively for deep pockets/impulse buys?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Re: Black Friday Sales!
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:28pm:
...will be announced on friday. As usual. Because SSG does not understand hyper, anticipation, or really any concepts of marketing whatsoever. I guess they don't assume anyone will buedget or save for things and their sales are exclusively for deep pockets/impulse buys?

Marketing geniuses at SuperSalesmanGroup

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
We are talking about a company which priced Ottos boxes in such a way players (dupers) made more money than them. They could have reduced the price and made it available in store 24x7 instead they banned some people, fixed some methods and now wondering why xpac with (ugly) unicorns didn't sell so much.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:53pm:
We are talking about a company which priced Ottos boxes in such a way players (dupers) made more money than them. They could have reduced the price and made it available in store 24x7 instead they banned some people, fixed some methods and now wondering why xpac with (ugly) unicorns didn't sell so much.

I would drop a tenner for a box but fifty? Fuck that!

They are like a corner pub, they know they have the regular alchies coming in and keep them afloat. So they can water down the beer and serve drinks in filthy glasses.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Farmer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 1:18pm:
They are like a corner pub, they know they have the regular alchies coming in and keep them afloat. So they can water down the beer and serve drinks in filthy glasses.

I don't think I've ever seen a more apt description of DDO. Strake, please preserve this Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:53pm:

I'm breaking a lance in favor of SSG here. Daybreak is the publisher for the game so they get to decide how much to sell something for.

I agree that otto boxes are obscenely overpriced but not everything that is wrong with ddo is SSG's fault. Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely for daybreak to "humanize" prices so long as ddo doesn't start costing them money (being a minus instead of a plus in their accounting book).

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 2:52pm:
I'm breaking a lance in favor of SSG here. Daybreak is the publisher for the game so they get to decide how much to sell something for.

I agree that otto boxes are obscenely overpriced but not everything that is wrong with ddo is SSG's fault. Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely for daybreak to "humanize" prices so long as ddo doesn't start costing them money (being a minus instead of a plus in their accounting book).

I frankly don't disagree with the price-point for the otto's boxes, but that's because as advertised I view them as being for a specific purpose most of the userbase has missed.

So for comparison: WoW and EQ1&2 both sell items that let you instantly-level characters to or near cap, so you can jump right in to the end-game. That is how I believe the first generation of otto's boxes were concieved and intended - and how I used them. I created a wizard, a rogue, and a monk this way; allowing me to experience other classes and have characters to farm on while TRing my main.

The idea that ottos boxes were ever "designed" to shortcut a life(and that you were supposed to buy stacks of them) is I think an invention of the playerbase. I think SSG looked at what other games were doing, said "lets provide a way for people to build alts or jump into the game" then watched as whales said "I'll take 50 of those, please and just quietly accepted the money.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:14pm:
I frankly don't disagree with the price-point for the otto's boxes, but that's because as advertised I view them as being for a specific purpose most of the userbase has missed.

So for comparison: WoW and EQ1&2 both sell items that let you instantly-level characters to or near cap, so you can jump right in to the end-game. That is how I believe the first generation of otto's boxes were concieved and intended - and how I used them. I created a wizard, a rogue, and a monk this way; allowing me to experience other classes and have characters to farm on while TRing my main.

The idea that ottos boxes were ever "designed" to shortcut a life(and that you were supposed to buy stacks of them) is I think an invention of the playerbase. I think SSG looked at what other games were doing, said "lets provide a way for people to build alts or jump into the game" then watched as whales said "I'll take 50 of those, please and just quietly accepted the money.

You're not wrong; and indeed their initial implementation in MotU supports that.

However; the fail comes from the fact that rather than include similar packages with large updates/expansions, they completely dropped the complimentary Otto's and giftable ottos. Those alone would help sell expansions 300% more than their shitty cosmetic bloat that fills inventories anymore.

I'd love to be able to gift my buddy the expansion, get a mild boost out of it, and also get my friend playing. The problem is; unless I've got an ottos or two on hand it's hard for me to try and suggest they play the game. It's hard to get most people to cut their teeth in DDO with a vet player; whether I just TR'd or am on a first lifer with them, I'm ultimately going to be leading things in a way that could turn a first timer off from the game and that's not even mentioning the content draught for F2P.

SSG had they been smart would have retroactively made their summer event the new default. 90% of the older content should have been made FTP, they should have dropped all the expansions up until RL down to 75% off, RL and Sharn at 50% off, and put a new permanent 1 per account sale on otto's boxes pricing them at 100 points. So that everyone in the game could benefit, but particularly new players. That would bring life into this slowly dying game, the kind of life a handful of whales can't do.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 2:52pm:

I don't think Daybreak has anything to do with ottos box prices.  They were priced just as they are now long before Daybreak got involved.  SSG/Turdbine are just too stupid to work a calculator.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
They don't have anything interesting to offer anyway.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:55pm:
I don't think Daybreak has anything to do with ottos box prices.  They were priced just as they are now long before Daybreak got involved.  SSG/Turdbine are just too stupid to work a calculator.

Agreed. A guy on the mobo wanted to buy a cosmetic pet that was exclusive to MoTU collector edition (the most expensive one if I recall correctly) and was willing to shell money for the whole expansion with the same price. You would think that SSG would have accepted but Cordoban replied that they could not legally sell those pets nor the expansion anymore as it was up to the publisher and it was very unlikely they would release the expansion again.

It's true that boxes had (and still do) the same price as always but I think it's more because Daybreak can't be bothered to invest any attention in a game such as ddo as long as it brings even a few cents. Wasted potential but whatever

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:27pm:
You're not wrong; and indeed their initial implementation in MotU supports that.

However; the fail comes from the fact that rather than include similar packages with large updates/expansions, they completely dropped the complimentary Otto's and giftable ottos. Those alone would help sell expansions 300% more than their shitty cosmetic bloat that fills inventories anymore.

The Idea: "Get new players into the game! Create a sense of community!"
The Reality: "Vet players share between friends, horde them, and figure out how to use multiples. Some of the more industrious players sell them for IRL money." <--reasons SSG will never do what they did with MOTU again.

Now, granted, not everyone was an asshole. I got gifted an otto's rock, which in turn got me excited/hooked enough on the game to buy the expansion myself, and in turn made a huge point of gifting all my rocks(particularly to newbie players).

There were, however, many tales of rocks being sold and several people who figured out "I can use 1 on myself, then TR and keep the rest in my cache". When the original ottos boxes were released, those stones "worked" again and several people got 3-4 free ottos rocks just by being greedy.

I agree that another giveaway would be both a huge seller and breathe new life into the game, but I think SSG is too wrapped up in not letting anyone have something "for free" that someone else feels they had to "work at". I recall even the original event had some hardcore detractors just over people using them as intended("its no fair! that guy got to go straight to 16 and I had to work at it wah wah wah")

I'd love to be able to gift my buddy the expansion, get a mild boost out of it, and also get my friend playing.

Actually you can do that now: when you buy the expansion you get a code that has to be redeemed in-game. So you can easily buy and gift the code. All your other comments are valid, though.

The problem is; unless I've got an ottos or two on hand it's hard for me to try and suggest they play the game. It's hard to get most people to cut their teeth in DDO with a vet player; whether I just TR'd or am on a first lifer with them, I'm ultimately going to be leading things in a way that could turn a first timer off from the game and that's not even mentioning the content draught for F2P.

SSG had they been smart would have retroactively made their summer event the new default. 90% of the older content should have been made FTP, they should have dropped all the expansions up until RL down to 75% off, RL and Sharn at 50% off, and put a new permanent 1 per account sale on otto's boxes pricing them at 100 points. So that everyone in the game could benefit, but particularly new players. That would bring life into this slowly dying game, the kind of life a handful of whales can't do.

They fixed the F2p content drought if you redeemed the code at the right time, dunno why that didn't become permanant, but then i don't know why SSG does half the stupid shit they do.

One of the things EverQuest does, for example: the most expensive version of the latest xpac includes all the previous xpacs in addition to the "level to within 5 levels of the current cap and have some free endgameish gear" item. These are specifically targeted at new players, not vets, in order to gain and keep new players. Hell EQ even has a "friends and family pack full of extra goodies to help get friends and family into the game.

This is, btw, the best proof available that Daybreak has no say in DDO's marketing/store descions.

EQ2 is also published by Daybreak and has this way better model.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:01pm:
Agreed. A guy on the mobo wanted to buy a cosmetic pet that was exclusive to MoTU collector edition (the most expensive one if I recall correctly) and was willing to shell money for the whole expansion with the same price. You would think that SSG would have accepted but Cordoban replied that they could not legally sell those pets nor the expansion anymore as it was up to the publisher and it was very unlikely they would release the expansion again.

This is much more a combination of two factors:

1. The market is not big enough, even if it *only* cost SSG thousands of dollars to make the pet/pack/whatever available(and lets be realistic, it'd be more than that) for the 1 guy who wants to buy it, they'd be loosing a lot of money. Cordoidiot saying "we can't legally do this" is his way of passing the buck - its out of his hands but he gets to look like the good guy.

2. Cordoban has an extremely tenuous grasp on the nature of "legality" and talks through the mouth that is only visible when he drops his pants. I believe the pet in question was exclusively for MOTU-*pre*-orders - and there was something in the EULA about how the stuff would only ever be available for those that pre-ordered. If you remember, when a later xpac released the permenant ML20 lion hireling, a bunch of forumites got reeeeeealllly butthurt because it was a re-skinned model of the MOTU one.

This is where cordoban's poor grasp of the legal system comes into play: EULAs are not fucking legally binding. They can sell/give away anything they want, and even if it violates some document you clicked "yes" to without reading 10 years ago, you can't do jack shit about it except for be butt-hurt.

Of course, they'll never do that, because the same people being super butt0hurt about the lion hiering are the ones fellating jerry's micro-dick.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:17pm:
One of the things EverQuest does, for example: the most expensive version of the latest xpac includes all the previous xpacs in addition to the "level to within 5 levels of the current cap and have some free endgameish gear" item. These are specifically targeted at new players, not vets, in order to gain and keep new players. Hell EQ even has a "friends and family pack full of extra goodies to help get friends and family into the game.

This is, btw, the best proof available that Daybreak has no say in DDO's marketing/store descions.

EQ2 is also published by Daybreak and has this way better model.

Hold up there hoss. Don't give Daybroke any credit for homework they copied.

That entire system was in place by SOE long before Daybroke bought Sony out. And Daybroke has already gone broke on several of Sony's titles; they axed Everquest Next, turned Planetside into a literal meme, and killed H1Z1 after they finished milking its BR mode just like Fortnite.

Daybroke has no actual business sense either. It's probably why they helped SSG get started and agreed to be their publisher.

On topic though; most MMOs have a similar system of making older expansion content being rolled up into the next expansion. WoW does it, ESO does it, etc. The rockstars are the only folks that haven't noticed; probably because they genuinely don't play other MMOs and instead play in house games where they can use their company coupons to not pay for things.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 8:00pm:
Hold up there hoss. Don't give Daybroke any credit for homework they copied.

Ok, yes, that's fair. Daybroke does not deserve the credit.

That entire system was in place by SOE long before Daybroke bought Sony out. And Daybroke has already gone broke on several of Sony's titles; they axed Everquest Next, turned Planetside into a literal meme, and killed H1Z1 after they finished milking its BR mode just like Fortnite.

Daybroke has no actual business sense either. It's probably why they helped SSG get started and agreed to be their publisher.

This is really just more proof that Daybrke has no say in things like ottos prices. Otherwise they'd see whats working and roll it over into the other games.

On topic though; most MMOs have a similar system of making older expansion content being rolled up into the next expansion. WoW does it, ESO does it, etc. The rockstars are the only folks that haven't noticed; probably because they genuinely don't play other MMOs and instead play in house games where they can use their company coupons to not pay for things.

Steelstar(or one of the high level devs, i forget/dont give a shit which one) is an avid World of Warcraft player. Though he's probably like the guy I used to work with: he has a single capped character and is IRL friends with a few guildmates who play like a second job, but himself goes weeks without logging in and only really "plays" when the new expansion comes out(which he blindly clicks "buy" on without reading), and then only does a few late nights and weekends to get up to the new level gap and pull a few new pieces of gear.

Meanwhile, note how the single best dev(by an extremely generous definition of "best") is Lynnball, who is also coincidently the  only one who actually plays/played the game.

I know one thing is for sure: if I ever get to helm an MMO, one of my rules is going to be that everyone who actively works on the game in any technical capacity will be required to log a certain amount of play-time on a weekly basis using a non admin/dev account(basically whatever account the players have access to). And the designers specifically will be required to meet set goals(such as obtain X item in-game through normal means) in order to keep them grounded.

I am 100% sure Steelstar would change his tune about the fucking drop-rates if he were forced to farm a family recruit sigal on epic hard.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I just hope they put Feywild in the store and on sale on Friday... I have a hoard of TP ( on both VIP accounts and I need to spend them a bit... even if I bought Feywild for one.  )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:51am:
I just hope they put Feywild in the store and on sale on Friday... I have a hoard of TP ( on both VIP accounts and I need to spend them a bit... even if I bought Feywild for one.  )

oh they wont. Its like 9 months to a year before they put the xpacs up for points, minimum.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 7:55am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 11:22am:
oh they wont. Its like 9 months to a year before they put the xpacs up for points, minimum.

4 months is not 9 months to a year.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 11:29am
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Nov 25th, 2020 at 7:55am:

Is that how long it was for sharn?

Seem to recall it was quite a gap but then again I wasn't paying so much attention.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Nov 25th, 2020 at 7:55am:

Grin Grin Grin

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Cordo posted on the mobo:

DDO Store:

Now thru November 30th:

Double Bonus Points Plus!
Get Double Bonus Points and a bonus Lesser or Greater Elixir of Discovery per points purchase!*

Otto’s and Tenser's Boxes now available in the store!

35% Off Universal Action Point Tome +1
50% Off +8 Ability Tomes and the +7 to +8 Upgrade Tome
75% Off Wish for Memories- All Races

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
DDO Black Friday Deals!

DDO Market:

Now until January 9, 2021, get 50% off:

Ravenloft Ultimate, Collector’s, and Standard Edition
Shadowfell Conspiracy Collectors, Standard, and Legendary Upgrade
Menace of the Underdark Standard and Base editions

These items will no longer be available after January 9th. New packages for the older expansions will be available at a future date, but may not include the exact same bonus items, so this is the final opportunity to get these specific packages with their listed bonus items.

DDO Store:

Now thru November 30th:

Double Bonus Points Plus!
Get Double Bonus Points and a bonus Lesser or Greater Elixir of Discovery per points purchase!*

Otto’s and Tenser's Boxes now available in the store!

35% Off Universal Action Point Tome +1
50% Off +8 Ability Tomes and the +7 to +8 Upgrade Tome
75% Off Wish for Memories- All Races

*see in game store for more details
News

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
So pretty much same sale as last year, no sharn for points(or even a discount) but hey tomes right?

I like how +8 went from "special 1 per account with this limited bundle" to just the new normal.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Im going to buy a lot of those wish for memories things. Because fuck elves that's why.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Nov 25th, 2020 at 8:25pm:
Im going to buy a lot of those wish for memories things. Because fuck elves that's why.

Yeah, i have two shitter lives left and gonna get memories for them.  Those things are butt ugly.  Might get them for helf too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint