Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Daybreak Games sold to EG7 (Read 9118 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Daybreak Games sold to EG7
Reply #25 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:55am:
I still think its impossible for that number to be accurate.  Unless its like a drunk guy throwing his paycheck at his favorite stripper, I dont see how THAT many people could be spending THAT much money each month.

I think of how many people on Orien I know, how many alt accounts there are, and how many of them come close to paying $65 month.  Of all those people I run with, and talk to, only one might be spending that cash.  Is there a Platinum Server that they hang out on, to stay away from us F2P riff-raff?

Dunno, but that number feels way off, to me.

Yeah the more I think about it the fishier it gets. That said, I know some absolutely loaded players who are throwing off the average. I've seen people link ten-stacks of wishes of inheritance and long before the dupping I knew players who legitimately bought 100-stacks of ottos boxes(paid for not even during points sales). However, I am dubious they can be throwing off the curve by that much.

Where exactly did someone see that $65/m figure? I tried the link in the original post and didn't feel like wading through 100 pages of EG7's humblebrag.

Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 8:12am:
Who is “they”?   I never saw anyone at ssg say anything that suggested “the game was dying”.  That’s only ever come from players.   Unless you have a quote?   

I recall once or twice Lynnabel stating the game was doing great.   But he’s the only dev I’ve even seen comment in writing.  And that was a generic superlative. 

The devs are always going to say the game is doing great. What do you think would happen if the captain of the cruise ship came on the PA and said the boat was sinking?

The "they" is and always has been the players. Now for literally the first time EVER we have actual hard data to back up the vague dev statements.

To go back to my analogy for a second: if you see water rushing in bellow decks everywhere you turn, how likely are you to believe the captain when he assures you the ship is not sinking? Most people would want some kind of proof at that point.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 1:33pm:
The "they" is and always has been the players. Now for literally the first time EVER we have actual hard data to back up the vague dev statements.

To go back to my analogy for a second: if you see water rushing in bellow decks everywhere you turn, how likely are you to believe the captain when he assures you the ship is not sinking? Most people would want some kind of proof at that point.

I agree.   The players have always been banging the "no way this game makes money" drum.   That's why I was surprised someone suggested that SSG was promoting that narrative.  It was nonsensical.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 1:33pm:
Yeah the more I think about it the fishier it gets. That said, I know some absolutely loaded players who are throwing off the average. I've seen people link ten-stacks of wishes of inheritance and long before the dupping I knew players who legitimately bought 100-stacks of ottos boxes(paid for not even during points sales). However, I am dubious they can be throwing off the curve by that much.

Where exactly did someone see that $65/m figure? I tried the link in the original post and didn't feel like wading through 100 pages of EG7's humblebrag.

It's not that big.  The whole thing is like 4-5 pages.  Mostly with graphs and pictures.  Very few words.

I doubt highly the numbers in that press release are all that inaccurate.   A publicly traded company has a fiduciary duty.  Fudging numbers they sent to the public and investors would be potentially criminal liability.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:46pm:
It's not that big.

But it is boring. And that's worse than being long.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #29 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:04pm:
But it is boring. And that's worse than being long.

I found it interesting.  After years of everyone guessing and arguing about whose guess is better, it was fun to see some actual numbers. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:10pm:
I found it interesting.  After years of everyone guessing and arguing about whose guess is better, it was fun to see some actual numbers. 

That is true. If so much of it wasn't self-aggrandizing crap about games I don't play I would have been able to follow better. But they're the writers of their own press releases.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #31 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 8:12am:
Who is “they”?   I never saw anyone at ssg say anything that suggested “the game was dying”.  That’s only ever come from players.   Unless you have a quote?   

I recall once or twice Lynnabel stating the game was doing great.   But he’s the only dev I’ve even seen comment in writing.  And that was a generic superlative. 

You are right about that, SSG never said they are not doing great BUT the fact that they have liquid diarrhea for customer service, a senile grandma for account maintenance, fucking laggy servers and zero marketing indicates they have no disposable profit. The independent studio comes from when they opted for turning into SSG after turbine dropped the games. So if they have such a nice revenue why they acting like customer service is self-service.
And why the hell the servers are so fucking laggy and empty?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #32 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Farmer wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:38pm:
So if they have such a nice revenue why they acting like customer service is self-service.

Because they aren't a small independant studio(like they claim) and all that revenue is being flowed back upstream to the actual owners(now EG7, who unlike daybroke will be pouring it into new development instead of just pocketing it).

Farmer wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:38pm:
And why the hell the servers are so fucking laggy and empty?

Its a lot easier to believe if you work in enterprise support.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
As a random side note: Daybroke was entirely about buying old games, sucking any remaining revnue out of them, then sunsetting them when they became unprofitable. Daybroke was not so much a "studio" as a pony ride next to the glue factory.

EG7, meanwhile, clearly has the resources and the will to begin new development(they have several of their own IPs and actually make games as opposed to sunsetting them). And they made a big point of saying they now "own" the DnD IP(their ownership of SSG almost certainly gives them access to it or at least a huge in with Wizards to say "hey grrrrl".

Ergo: there is in fact hope for a new, GOOD DnD MMO. It won't be "DDO2" because that would be stupid. But some kind of good DnD game is potentially on the horizon now.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #34 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:55am:
Is there a Platinum Server that they hang out on, to stay away from us F2P riff-raff?

Dunno, but that number feels way off, to me.

Hardcore server.  Uh, until last time.  Get away you casuals.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #35 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:10pm:

Are we talking about the game or something else?  Cause I'm kinda getting a hard penis vibe from this.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 9:21pm:
Hardcore server.  Uh, until last time.  Get away you casuals.

Actually yeah - if the metrics were based on HCL $65/m sounds quite accurate. Tons of people gold-rolled straight to 10-11. Enough people spent hundreds of dollars to absolute pump up the numbers during those months.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 5:26pm:
Ergo: there is in fact hope for a new, GOOD DnD MMO. It won't be "DDO2" because that would be stupid. But some kind of good DnD game is potentially on the horizon now.

Seeing how they want to capitalize on the Amazon LoTRO, they might already be planning to capitalize on this for DDO :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/

As I mentionned, DDO and LoTRO are basically the same game with just a set of different options that makes the difference between them, so anything done on one is relatively easy to adapt to another.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 12:05pm:
Seeing how they want to capitalize on the Amazon LoTRO, they might already be planning to capitalize on this for DDO :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/

As I mentionned, DDO and LoTRO are basically the same game with just a set of different options that makes the difference between them, so anything done on one is relatively easy to adapt to another.

Well if they're looking to capitalize on a movie hitting in 2022, they're probably going to be more interested in overhauling DDO(not that it'd be hard). Fortunately DDO doesn't need much to look more attractive, but hopefully EG7 is smart enough to take a look at the game and go "wow! this grind is fucking retarded! sev, get off your harry ass and fix it so we can make more money"

But yes, with DnD's general rising popularity, its possible they may want to capitalize on the IP and make an event better game.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 10:27pm
Print Post  

$72m bookings/$39m EBITDA

$7M YTD is WAY more than I expected for DDO. How about LOTRO at $10m tho?

These EBIDTA to Bookings (Revenue) data are really interesting. Look at Everquest at 17% of revs but 30%!!! of EBITDA. Daybreak has 666m SEK ($78m) revs and 255m SEK ($30m) EBITDA, So they're making 9m on like 13m in revenues which is an insane ~70% EBITDA margin. That's almost 2x DDO's 38% EBITDA margin. THAT'S a cash cow.

DDO ARPU Monthly is highest of Daybreak at $65.2. Wild.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
The new project is probably not a new DDO game. But it might be DDO on consoles, Mac, and a graphics overhaul. With the highest ARPU of all their games and the pop culture popularity of D&D right now, that is by far the best investment bang for you buck, every dollar invested in DDO is invested in their spendiest customers.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
clearly DDO is quite the cash cow. Somehow.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 10:30pm:
The new project is probably not a new DDO game. But it might be DDO on consoles, Mac, and a graphics overhaul. With the highest ARPU of all their games and the pop culture popularity of D&D right now, that is by far the best investment bang for you buck, every dollar invested in DDO is invested in their spendiest customers.

Or they might be looking at some way to reduce the entry barriers so DDO gets and keeps more new players. A console port would be cool and all but will have exactly the same player retention problems as PC.

Really, player retention is the biggest thing. If that's not the first thing they're looking at I don't know what is. Nobody quits because the graphics are ugly or they cant play on their exbox.

IP Logged

Kelltore
Waterworks Kobold

I Hate Drama and Hate
People who Start It

Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
So im ngl i really hope this gets a port to playstation and xbox especially if we could use same accounts as pc and its inter changeable

I’m not here for Clout or Drama, Yet am Consistently Called out for it. My personal issue is not with the Vault but with People who think they are the most intelligent on a Forum when in Reality they are just the Loudest and Most Annoying who think it’s Ok to Bully People when they are dumber than a Box of Jugs- Errrm Rocks.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #44 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Kelltore wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 11:56pm:
So im ngl i really hope this gets a port to playstation and xbox especially if we could use same accounts as pc and its inter changeable

I kinda seriously doubt DDO will see a console port. How many hotbars to you use? I use 9 with full keys mapped +/- 5 more to display things. How are you going to get 90 different button-press combinations on a playstation controller?

IP Logged

Kelltore
Waterworks Kobold

I Hate Drama and Hate
People who Start It

Reply #45 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 12:33am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 12:17am:
I kinda seriously doubt DDO will see a console port. How many hotbars to you use? I use 9 with full keys mapped +/- 5 more to display things. How are you going to get 90 different button-press combinations on a playstation controller?

You Could do a bit of keybinds maybe not a full 9 however they can map it on controler where say hot bar 1 Is L1-Plus  whatever button combot you want x, square, circle, Triangle, right d pad, left d-pad, and so on, you can map a pc controller to ddo i use it alot on my pc Cheesy

I’m not here for Clout or Drama, Yet am Consistently Called out for it. My personal issue is not with the Vault but with People who think they are the most intelligent on a Forum when in Reality they are just the Loudest and Most Annoying who think it’s Ok to Bully People when they are dumber than a Box of Jugs- Errrm Rocks.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #46 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Yeah it might not be related to DDO at all but Severlin did say "we'll talk about our next classic pack, a new event, and a whole lot more".

My guess is they'll get some extra money/resources for a few years to do a bit more ambitious development

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #47 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 2:11am
Print Post  
I would love to hop this would mean scaling UI, better inventory systems, updated UI all over the game, ray tracing support, etc

IP Logged

OgreMealReady
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 7:13am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 2:11am:
resources

I looked more in to other IP that where acquired by Daybreak and there's a clear trend that those games customer support/server performance went downhill.

They made sure that they squeeze these games as much as they can and give them as little as possible even if those actions damaged their IP's.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Daybreak was the company that put games to greener pastures in their late game life days while trying to squeze as much revenue as possible.
Now the new one looks interesting, even if I'm a bit biased by working for a Swedish company in another, but related domain. 
While, I didn't know there was a Swedish game company playing in the big league, I knew about the Finnish and the Icelandic one ( respectively Supercell and CCP Games ) so it's not a big surprise. ( now I need to find a Norwegian one... and I'll consider Lego as the big Danish game company to complete Scandinavia )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint