Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Interesting take from MMORPG (Read 2802 times)
TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Interesting take from MMORPG
Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/how-dungeons-and-dragons-online-brought-my-fam...

I don't know what to make of this.

I'd love to come back to DDO if all the quest packs/races/classes/expansions were all
free.

Something like Warframe's model

I keep praying for a miracle maybe in 10 years.

I guess it is a feel good story.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Ya know if they had JUST kept the "free quests code" active it would have been great. There's enough content to keep people playing for years without the last 3 expansion packs.

Just another great example of SSG's tone-deafness when it comes to marketing and selling its own product.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Possibly, better marketing idea.  Break up all the quests from the free quests code into roughly 12 equal groups.  Then each month every year provide that code.  That way they hook people for time,  and can better lure out additional money.  That'd be what I'd try anyways.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
At this point the free quest codes needed to just come and stay. Or be added to some kind of "starter pack" on the DDO Market for a few bucks. Most other MMOs that started out copying SSG's model have progressed to "The latest xpac includes all previous content to encourage new players".

By way of comparison, when I dabbled briefly with Archeage a few years back, I played for about a day on a "Free" account before getting hooked and dropping ~$200 on latest xpac + all content + 1 year VIP sub and then jumped in and bought some other goodies. One good outlay of cash and I was "caught up" with everyone who'd been playing the game for years in terms of available content. I technically still own all of it despite having quite after 2 months. Instead SSG still thinks their antiquated "VIP model" will attract new players.

A'nope.

Personally for DDO I'd like to see monthly events. And like actual events, things that really reward participation. Not the occasional revolving grindfest they give us these days that only "Reward" people who play like a full-time job.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 3:48am
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:09pm:
https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/how-dungeons-and-dragons-online-brought-my-fam...

I'd love to come back to DDO if all the quest packs/races/classes/expansions were all
free.

It's pretty simple, they found DDO good and fun.  Good enough that they thought it was worth paying money to buy the expansions. 
Is there anyone who thinks Ravenloft in particular isn't good enough to pay money for?  (other than you obviously)  It's been pretty much met with universal praise.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 4:09am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 3:48am:
It's pretty simple, they found DDO good and fun.  Good enough that they thought it was worth paying money to buy the expansions. 
Is there anyone who thinks Ravenloft in particular isn't good enough to pay money for?  (other than you obviously)  It's been pretty much met with universal praise.

Ravenloft was worth it for sure. I'm sure I'm the only person that'll say they hated Sharn (save the raids, they're ok at best) and would rather pay for the content of Feywild.

Neither are Ravenloft level, and launching the expansion without the singular raid left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Feywild. But the content has atleast been alright/fun to run compared to Sharn imo.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:45am
Print Post  
from my point of view you need :
- Underdark ( the pack that comes with the Epic Destinies, and only for that... )
  ( so if TPs are used, buy the Destinies and don't bother with the Underdark Chain, just make sure you have access to
   Eveningstar without having to relog )
- Ravenloft

You don't need :
- Shadowfail

So, so  ( so up to you ) :

- Sharn

I don't have an opinion yet on Feywild, as I haven't done everything in it yet.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:09pm:

free.

Something like Warframe's model

I keep praying for a miracle maybe in 10 years.

I guess it is a feel good story.

Nice, we had a couple families join up with our guild this year under similar circs, thanks for the link,

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

bepis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:45am:
- Underdark ( the pack that comes with the Epic Destinies, and only for that... )

all levels of feywild come with destinies. drop motu

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:01am
Print Post  
This shit is actually happening.

I heard a rumor that early this year old expansion packs gonna merge into single market items and some "ultimate bonus" will be added.

My $5 bet we will have something like MOTU+Shadowfell+DDOFREEQUESTS for a 50-100 bucks. And SSG will have to upgrade VIP subscription to sth like +20% exp or other goodies like daily gold roll to keep VIP attractive

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:38am
Print Post  
also fun fact:

DDOFREEQUESTS doubled DDO population within first month - then population was falling down to 1,5x of pre-coupon at the end of coupon date and its constant till now.

also LAGS weren't observed at the population peak, but after recent few updates.

IP Logged

C Troll
Korthos Resident

Fuck Off

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:38am:
also LAGS weren't observed at the population peak, but after recent few updates.

Fucking unicorns
And rainbows in chests

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:38am:
also fun fact:

DDOFREEQUESTS doubled DDO population within first month - then population was falling down to 1,5x of pre-coupon at the end of coupon date and its constant till now.

Yeah SSG seems to break it with every third update.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:01am:
My $5 bet we will have something like MOTU+Shadowfell+DDOFREEQUESTS for a 50-100 bucks.

Close enough https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/521016-DDO-Market-Updated

They just combined ravenloft+motu+shadowfell (with stormhorns)+ED for 60 bucks.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:35pm:
Close enough https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/521016-DDO-Market-Updated

They just combined ravenloft+motu+shadowfell (with stormhorns)+ED for 60 bucks.

That is actually hot garbage. Its JUST the expansions + EDs, not all the previous content that was included in the free code. That iis all still gated behind either VIP or microtransactions.

So its the 2 xpacs they were giving away for basically free(99 points each), plus RL($40), +EDs for 60 bucks.

And you STILL don't get all the previous quests.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 8:28am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:42pm:
That is actually hot garbage. Its JUST the expansions + EDs, not all the previous content that was included in the free code. That iis all still gated behind either VIP or microtransactions.

So its the 2 xpacs they were giving away for basically free(99 points each), plus RL($40), +EDs for 60 bucks.

And you STILL don't get all the previous quests.

Yep, at some point they need to realize that restricting content, specifically the older content, is not helping they attract and maintain new players. I know they want people to go vip for the content, but that is a very outdated model for a "f2p" game, and probably needs to be revisited.

Attract them with the game........and then sell them shiney fucking horses and unicorns and spiffy clothes and convenience items and shit.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 11:56am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 8:28am:
Yep, at some point they need to realize that restricting content, specifically the older content, is not helping they attract and maintain new players. I know they want people to go vip for the content, but that is a very outdated model for a "f2p" game, and probably needs to be revisited.

Attract them with the game........and then sell them shiney fucking horses and unicorns and spiffy clothes and convenience items and shit.

Or at least just sell them everything in one easy to buy bundle. If I came to the game NOW and saw my choices were "VIP" or "spend a ton of money" and then found out if i'd been here 4 months ago all that would have been free, I'd be pissed right the fuck off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint