Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fucking SSG launcher (Read 4122 times)
Charon
Ex Member

Fucking SSG launcher
Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Went to install DDO on a new computer today,  started the launcher downloading this morning and checked into it in the evening. 

Launcher bugged out on downloading client_sound.dat all day where it would get the file to 80% or so then restart. 

I got it fixed but fuck me, I wonder how many gigs of data I burned today.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Fucking SSG launcher
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
None, since it doesnt use data not downloading a file.

Also, DDO is semi-portable, did you consider just copying it over from the old computer?

Assuming you've got the prequs(dx, C++, etc) it just runs fine without being "installed".

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:21pm:

Also, DDO is semi-portable, did you consider just copying it over from the old computer?

Assuming you've got the prequs(dx, C++, etc) it just runs fine without being "installed".

I did a fresh install,  I probably should have just copied the bottle but I decided to start from fresh since I'm working on a very unsupported install.  macOS M1.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I did a fresh install,  I probably should have just copied the bottle but I decided to start from fresh since I'm working on a very unsupported install.  macOS M1.

Oh yikes. Yeah. That needed a fresh install.

I know for example when I reformat a PC and try to launch DDO from a thumbdrive it does not work. The instalelr adds little details like directx, visual C++ runtime, etc. But if I try to launch on a "mature" PC which has all those things, yeah, DDO needs no installation.

Have not had ANY luck AT ALL loading it elsewhere. But I also never tried for more than 15 consecutive minutes.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:50pm:
Oh yikes. Yeah. That needed a fresh install.

I know for example when I reformat a PC and try to launch DDO from a thumbdrive it does not work. The instalelr adds little details like directx, visual C++ runtime, etc. But if I try to launch on a "mature" PC which has all those things, yeah, DDO needs no installation.

Have not had ANY luck AT ALL loading it elsewhere. But I also never tried for more than 15 consecutive minutes.

Well it runs,  at about 30fps with dx9 atm.  I should be able to get it to 60fps consistent I think with tweaking,  but either way, not bad considering it's an emulator running wine to play it.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 12:13am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:21pm:

It sure as shit does download files when you use the package that SSG offers for a fresh install.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 11:31am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 12:13am:
It sure as shit does download files when you use the package that SSG offers for a fresh install.

Yes it does download files, but if it gets stuck downloading a specific file it does not use data while being stuck.

So the entire game is about 13gb, some of that's compressed but lets ignore that.  Lets say the download gets stuck at 80% as Charon said, about 10.88gb, it then sits there and doesn't use any more data until someone un-derps it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:50pm:
visual C++ runtime,

There's a nice little Microsoft Utility that checks your PC and download/install all the VC++ DLLs you don't have.
It comes handy when you have a fresh Win10 Install.

noamineo wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 11:31am:
So the entire game is about 13gb, some of that's compressed but lets ignore that.

I need to remember where I put the link, I'll post it for those interested.

The only compressed/encrypted part is the executables and the DLLs.
the DAT stuff is just binary data in a specific format that hasn't changed since Asheron's Call.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 1:14pm:
There's a nice little Microsoft Utility that checks your PC and download/install all the VC++ DLLs you don't have.

Yup. Really wish M$ would do more offline-installers for that sort of thing. Hate having to redownload every friggin time...)

the DAT stuff is just binary data in a specific format that hasn't changed since Asheron's Call.

I'm interested.

So you suspect Turbine/SSG is not compressing the files for download, then de-compressing them after? That would/should have been standard practice in the Asheron's Call days when everyone still had dialup. I remember waaaaay back in the day, practically every file you downloaded(IF you could get a direct DL) came compressed; that's how companies like WinZip made their bank. I never played an MMO in the dialup days but I know patches were tough for that reason. Of course NOT doing that would be perfectly on-brand for SSG...

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  

Wait do you mean you have a link to something explains their dat format or something that explains what they encrypt.  Rather interested in if someone already figured out their format.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
BTW just did some testing, 

With the lowest end MBA with an M1, 

I'm getting 85fps now with DX11.

I'm highly impressed considering that it's running through an emulator then a version of wine that has to turn 32 bit code to 64 bit and do all the normal wine stuff.

Definitely works well,  obviously a gaming system would be better, but it's just interesting to see what it can do.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
BTW just did some testing, 

With the lowest end MBA with an M1, 

I'm getting 85fps now with DX11.

I'm highly impressed considering that it's running through an emulator then a version of wine that has to turn 32 bit code to 64 bit and do all the normal wine stuff.

Definitely works well,  obviously a gaming system would be better, but it's just interesting to see what it can do.

So not being a mac person I'm not entirely sure what all you are saying here. Can you repeat that in longhand?

And yeah I'm always surprised what I can get DDO to work ok on. I had a $200 windows 10 laptop from target. I couldnt technically "play" on it, but it worked well enough to go online and do my inventory chores. And that was without tweeking.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Ok so I bought the latest macbook air.  It's Apple's low end laptop.  I bought the model that uses a 7 core gpu instead of 8,  because I bought it mostly as a coding laptop and I didn't want to spend the money.

Those new macbooks don't use an intel chip they use apple's new M1 system on a chip and the cpu is an arm variant.  This is similar to your phone for example.

To run ddo the code has to go through:

Rosetta 2.  This is Apple's amd64 emulator.  It makes it so that 64 bit code that can execute on an intel processor can still run on the new chip.  However, as always emulation involves a slow down.

Crossover 20.  This is a commercial version of wine which allows macOS, Linux, and ChromeOS users to run windows apps on non-windows os's.

However on mac,  crossover's work goes one step farther.  Mac removed the ability of it's computers to execute 32 bit code a couple OS versions ago.  (Which is why SSG only supports a version of the OS that will stop getting support this fall).  This required the crossover team to write not only a change in wine, but a custom compiler so that 32bit windows code would then call 64bit wine libraries that macOS could then execute.

Not to mention dx9 gets changed to opengl and dx11 gets changed to vulkan and then to metal.

All this translation means that the solid but mediocre performance I'm getting impresses the hell out of me.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ok so I bought the latest macbook air.  It's Apple's low end laptop.  I bought the model that uses a 7 core gpu instead of 8,  because I bought it mostly as a coding laptop and I didn't want to spend the money.

Those new macbooks don't use an intel chip they use apple's new M1 system on a chip and the cpu is an arm variant.  This is similar to your phone for example.

To run ddo the code has to go through:

Rosetta 2.  This is Apple's amd64 emulator.  It makes it so that 64 bit code that can execute on an intel processor can still run on the new chip.  However, as always emulation involves a slow down.

Crossover 20.  This is a commercial version of wine which allows macOS, Linux, and ChromeOS users to run windows apps on non-windows os's.

However on mac,  crossover's work goes one step farther.  Mac removed the ability of it's computers to execute 32 bit code a couple OS versions ago.  (Which is why SSG only supports a version of the OS that will stop getting support this fall).  This required the crossover team to write not only a change in wine, but a custom compiler so that 32bit windows code would then call 64bit wine libraries that macOS could then execute.

Not to mention dx9 gets changed to opengl and dx11 gets changed to vulkan and then to metal.

Ahhh ok, yeah that makes a lot more sense. I'm reasonably familiar with the architecture, just not all the cute little mac pet names for everything Tongue Funnily enough, the current fastest computer in the world also uses ARM CPUs.

I'm also continually baffled by Apple's choices and by the choices of people who continue to buy them. I can still run Microsoft Office 97 on my fully-up-to-date Windows 10 computer just natively, with no modifications or changes. In fact I can run all sorts of software I've "acquired" in the last 22 years and literally the biggest problem I ever encounter is stuff that can't scale on my 4k display.

Like its neat what that machine can do, but it also wouldn't have to do it if it just... ran an intel/AMD CPU and an OS with support for backward compatibility.

Obviously not questioning your choices, here - All my coder pals swear by ARM and it is insanely lightweight when it comes to power consumption. If you really are on the go a lot that's the best choice you can make for a coding laptop.

Quote:
All this translation means that the solid but mediocre performance I'm getting impresses the hell out of me.

Hell yeah thats impressive. You are basically playing DDO on a glorified cellphone!!! These are things that should just not happen.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 3:01pm:
Ahhh ok, yeah that makes a lot more sense. I'm reasonably familiar with the architecture, just not all the cute little mac pet names for everything Tongue Funnily enough, the current fastest computer in the world also uses ARM CPUs.

I'm also continually baffled by Apple's choices and by the choices of people who continue to buy them. I can still run Microsoft Office 97 on my fully-up-to-date Windows 10 computer just natively, with no modifications or changes. In fact I can run all sorts of software I've "acquired" in the last 22 years and literally the biggest problem I ever encounter is stuff that can't scale on my 4k display.

Like its neat what that machine can do, but it also wouldn't have to do it if it just... ran an intel/AMD CPU and an OS with support for backward compatibility.

Obviously not questioning your choices, here - All my coder pals swear by ARM and it is insanely lightweight when it comes to power consumption. If you really are on the go a lot that's the best choice you can make for a coding laptop.

Hell yeah thats impressive. You are basically playing DDO on a glorified cellphone!!! These are things that should just not happen.

The part that sold me on it is the 16 core NPU on the M1 chip.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The part that sold me on it is the 16 core NPU on the M1 chip. 

Yes. On a laptop especially and especially for coding that is better than anything else. Funnily enough I don't believe such uses are even on Apple's peripheral when they design these things, but its great for that.

I dunno if you only code on laptops but have you looked into a TuringPi? https://turingpi.com/v2/ - is a rasberry pi cluster, with extra RAM and actual peripherals. So its really 4 computers in 1. The guy who told me about it really liked it because you can do things like run your interface on one, then offload jobs such as compiling onto others; so you can keep working without the overhead going on in the background.

Frankly, I want one just for how cool it is Tongue

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
So I'm not sure on the increase in power from cm3 to cm4 with the Turing pi's,  but the benefit of the system is limited to server applications that can use the 4 compute modules to offload work,  or other programs that use massively parallel processing. 

Even though I'd get faster results on a modern "real" cpu though I've thought of setting up a chain of raspi zeros on a usb hub to form my own cheap cluster and writing a program to calculate prime numbers on it, just for the educational experience.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So I'm not sure on the increase in power from cm3 to cm4 with the Turing pi's,  but the benefit of the system is limited to server applications that can use the 4 compute modules to offload work,  or other programs that use massively parallel processing. 

The idea is you use 1 node to run your desktop/workstation, then the other nodes to offload CPU-intensive worklods such as compiling. Its not so much that its directly "faster" than using a single CPU with more cores, but that it means the compute-intensive stuff is no longer physically happening on the same machine you're trying to code on. At least that was my friend's take on it, I fail at programming forever Tongue

Quote:
Even though I'd get faster results on a modern "real" cpu though I've thought of setting up a chain of raspi zeros on a usb hub to form my own cheap cluster and writing a program to calculate prime numbers on it, just for the educational experience.

I would personally say do pi3s or 4. The zeros suck butt. If you use a pi4, yeah its a little more money, but then you can more easily recycle it for other applications when you're done. After fucking around with a pair of piZeros for a couple months(and having 1 be defective) I finally said fuck it and now will only buy the full Pis.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 5:28pm:
The idea is you use 1 node to run your desktop/workstation, then the other nodes to offload CPU-intensive worklods such as compiling. Its not so much that its directly "faster" than using a single CPU with more cores, but that it means the compute-intensive stuff is no longer physically happening on the same machine you're trying to code on. At least that was my friend's take on it, I fail at programming forever Tongue

I would personally say do pi3s or 4. The zeros suck butt. If you use a pi4, yeah its a little more money, but then you can more easily recycle it for other applications when you're done. After fucking around with a pair of piZeros for a couple months(and having 1 be defective) I finally said fuck it and now will only buy the full Pis.

You can do the offloading thing with any other pc on the network,  the purpose of that hardware is clustering.  For example I have an 2008 Mac Pro with dual Xeons that I offload some tasks to when they'll tie up lots of resources and I don't really care about speed. (It's not fast anymore but it has a lot of cores, drive space, and ram)

The turing pi or any pi cluster has two values,  it can be setup cheaper than most other options, which leads it to be useful in testing cluster software before running it on a real cluster, and education since a pi cluster is affordable as a teaching tool where a real cluster would be cost prohibited.

As far as doing it with zeros, it would simplify any cluster build greatly since you could power and provide a network connection all with the same plug from a good hub.  This means you don't need to build a custom power supply to provide power to multiple pi's and you don't need to incorporate any other networking gear into your build.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You can do the offloading thing with any other pc on the network,  the purpose of that hardware is clustering.  For example I have an 2008 Mac Pro with dual Xeons that I offload some tasks to when they'll tie up lots of resources and I don't really care about speed. (It's not fast anymore but it has a lot of cores, drive space, and ram)

The turing pi or any pi cluster has two values,  it can be setup cheaper than most other options, which leads it to be useful in testing cluster software before running it on a real cluster, and education since a pi cluster is affordable as a teaching tool where a real cluster would be cost prohibited.

As far as doing it with zeros, it would simplify any cluster build greatly since you could power and provide a network connection all with the same plug from a good hub.  This means you don't need to build a custom power supply to provide power to multiple pi's and you don't need to incorporate any other networking gear into your build.

Yeah true, that's probably a valid point.

Wait, s if you can "network" the pi-zeros through a USB hub, how does the data then get from hub to the rest of the network? I was under the impression you'd have to use wifi with piZeros. Ah well, I'm not building a cluster Tongue I'm all about the pentiums, baby.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 6:14pm:
Wait, s if you can "network" the pi-zeros through a USB hub, how does the data then get from hub to the rest of the network?

You boot the pi in gadget mode.

https://gist.github.com/gbaman/50b6cca61dd1c3f88f41

I should note there might be more up to date instructions or better ones out there.  It's been a while since I set one up.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You boot the pi in gadget mode.

https://gist.github.com/gbaman/50b6cca61dd1c3f88f41

I should note there might be more up to date instructions or better ones out there.  It's been a while since I set one up.

Oh right. Yeah, that would do it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #22 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 1:28pm:
I'm interested.

My bad the utility was for DirectX ( and apparently it's gone, my link to it gives a 404. )

for the VC you have here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-download
s-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

Quote:
Wait do you mean you have a link to something explains their dat format

You're new here ?

It's in the open ( read : not in a restricted forum ) here in The Vault among other things.

It's also in the open with a tiny usage of googlefu.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 1:33pm:
My bad the utility was for DirectX ( and apparently it's gone, my link to it gives a 404. )

for the VC you have here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-download
s-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

You're new here ?

It's in the open ( read : not in a restricted forum ) here in The Vault among other things.

It's also in the open with a tiny usage of googlefu.

Honestly, hadn't looked it up for DDO before now.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Also that 404 just started this morning,  I think Microsoft is either just down or in the progress of moving stuff around possibly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint