Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Moaners with 156+ Reaper points - We told you so! (Read 6024 times)
Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Re: Moaners with 156+ Reaper points - We told you so!
Reply #25 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 11:03am:
My opinion has always been that D&D is not about unlimited single character progression.   The game is better if character power doesn't have infinite growth non-stop.   Especially for people who want to invest 80+ hours of play time per week, using the most efficient methods possible to accelerate the progression.  It is fine if it is possible to "complete" a character and work on another build until new content/expansions come out, which will then create more to do on previously "completed" characters.   That's how the game worked from 2006-2011, and I enjoyed that era. 

I'm not saying we should roll back to 2011 entirely or anything,  A lot of the systems adds, balances, and new races/classes and stuff are cool.   I think when some people say they want a legacy server, what appeals from that era is the way the game felt the grind was manageable back then for a player without having to invest either 60-80 hours per week or a lot of $$ to bypass the grind.  I'm also not saying grind should never be added or that progression should ever permanently halt.  Games have to keep growing in size and scope, sure, but this one just grew in ways that made it too difficult for players to achieve without a huge investment in time or money.

Turbine/SSG forced themselves into a corner regarding the unlimited single player progression. Its been clear that they cannot produce enough content to keep players busy by normal means. They're forced to recycle old content by promoting unlimited experience grind. They removed the S/S/S system along with the 24hr epic quest lockout, introduced rampant power creep and sold convenience items (selling +3 tomes when max was +4, raid timer bypass, chest re-rolls, named loot elixirs, etc). All of which drastically reduced content life. I expect them to introduce legendary reincarnation as thats their only real option going forward. 

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #26 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Oh no no that isn’t the only option.  Within 2 years.  There will be a cap raise, and a difficulty above legendary.

I have a sneaking suspicion

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #27 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Another option is to take shit away, then sell it back.  Goodbye max caster level, hello new expansion pack with caster level tree!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 14th, 2021 at 3:57pm:
Another option is to take shit away, then sell it back.  Goodbye max caster level, hello new expansion pack with caster level tree!

I don't believe they are *quite* that shitty. More likely they will take it away and leave it gone.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Just have an "Ultimate Ascension" option that is only available to someone with maxed everything, including favor.  It permanently deletes the character while putting their name on a phallic statue placed the Hall of Heroes.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:29am
Print Post  
palladin9479 wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:24am:
putting their name on a phallic statue

Do these all look the same, or are we forced to have accuracte representatioins?  (is my monitor broken, or does this dick statue curve to the left?)

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #31 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Just have an "Ultimate Ascension" option that is only available to someone with maxed everything, including favor.  It permanently deletes the character

This is actually a great idea.  Pit the ego versus the time sink, make the players choose between immortality versus obsession.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #32 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Nonono. You misunderstand him.  There is no benefit or acknowledgement.  Just character deletion.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Just have an "Ultimate Ascension" option that is only available to someone with maxed everything, including favor.  It permanently deletes the character while putting their name on a phallic statue placed the Hall of Heroes.

So I've been thinking about this kind of idea for a while.  It goes like this,  indie dev releases mmo game.  Would players post exploits to a bug bounty program where the reward was an in game statue somewhere like that.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Would players post exploits to a bug bounty program where the reward was an in game statue somewhere like that.

How many of you would rat out the rest of us and give away all the exploits for some stupid acknowledgement?  Fuck, I can see it now:  Noooooo, I knew about that exploit first!!!11!!  My name should be there!! waaa waaa

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:47pm:
How many of you would rat out the rest of us and give away all the exploits for some stupid acknowledgement?  Fuck, I can see it now:  Noooooo, I knew about that exploit first!!!11!!  My name should be there!! waaa waaa

DDO is a tough one to apply this sort of approach to. I suspect the argument would be less "Who found it" and more "does this really count as an exploit?"

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

The Grandest of Fellows
Titan Demolisher

Hail Friends!

Reply #36 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:47pm:

Have you even seen my signature?   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Although claiming credit is different then snitching for treats and special treatment like Sobby, aka Harharhar, aka Jackofflele did in the past and looks to be up to again:

Then: http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1436561255/0#0

Now: http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1612635540/9#9

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
To be fair,  it can't be ddo or lotro that do it.  Something like that would have to exist from the start.  Its just something I wonder if it would work.  Ego is a big motivator.  Hey I found something and got credit for it could do it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
To be fair,  it can't be ddo or lotro that do it.  Something like that would have to exist from the start.  Its just something I wonder if it would work.  Ego is a big motivator.  Hey I found something and got credit for it could do it.

The only game I know of(and admittedly I don't know many) with a bug-bounty is EVE Online. In that game, depending on the size and potential power of the exploit, the bounty is usually worth about $100 USD-worth of in-game items. Keep in mind this is a game where you can potentially sell that for real money and walk out with that in your pocket.

Ego is definitely a big motivator, but greed is a bigger one, and its really all cost/benefit ratio. Putting up a little shrine to someone who turned in an exploit would actually cost SSG thousands of dollars, not to mention the amount of dev-time that would have to be wasted on it. Players would INVARIABLY bitch much harder about the waste of time than the potential value of closing exploits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint