Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DDO 2021 IP renewal? What are the odds? (Read 2677 times)
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

DDO 2021 IP renewal? What are the odds?
Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
So SSG’s IP for DDO expires this year, and I’m wondering what the odds are of those fully prolapsed, shit-caked assholes actually being allowed to renew it.

Honestly, if there’s a game studio that’s proven time and again that they have no business in the gaming industry whatsoever, it’s those drooling halfwits.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO 2021 IP renewal? What are the odds?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
They'll get it.  The DND rights holders will renew because as bad as DDO may be managed, its still a DND product that gets the IP out there.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
It'll get renewed. Someone just spent a ton of money to buy SSG. They wouldn't have done that if the renewal wasn't already in the bag.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:50pm:
Someone just spent a ton of money to buy SSG. They wouldn't have done that if the renewal wasn't already in the bag.

I concur. Even if they weren't buying just DDO, but a whole bunch of other IP.
It might not have stopped the buy, but it would have lowered the price by a good chunk if they were not certain the IP was going to be renewed,since DDO is one of the best revenue providing IP they were buying.

Look at it the Hasbro/WoTC way : they have two MMO out there that are totally different in style and gameplay.
Both apparently still have a bunch of people willing to pay money for them ( even if we can only guess how NWO is faring we have some hard values for DDO thanks to that merger ). Both catter a different crowd but all of them are at least remotely interested in Hasbro/Wotc PnP and assimilated products.
Why would Hasbro/Wotc kill that almost free ad. ( actually it's even a revenue for them... so they earn money by having games that basically are adverts of their products [ Ravenloft anybody ? Sync release of it in DDO and NWO a few month after the PnP release [ just when the PnP hype about it was coming down ] ])

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:47pm:
So SSG’s IP for DDO expires this year, and I’m wondering what the odds are of those fully prolapsed, shit-caked assholes actually being allowed to renew it.

Honestly, if there’s a game studio that’s proven time and again that they have no business in the gaming industry whatsoever, it’s those drooling halfwits. 

Why wouldn't they renew it? It's in both parties' best interests.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Have you seen how much money they are making?  I'm sure WoTC gets a piece of that action.   What is the cost to WoTC to continue it?  A piece of paper that they have some lawyers spend a few hours on every couple of years?   There's no reason not to renew it.   It's free money for WoTC.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:47pm:

Does it make a sound if you turn your head too fast?

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Dragonborn wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:11am:
Does it make a sound if you turn your head too fast?

What’s it like wearing a doctor-prescribed crash helmet and being the biggest retard in every room your care worker wheels you into?

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:36am
Print Post  
They will definitely get it. But what is the point if I cannot play in Baldur's gate, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Icewind Dale and other famous places? I don't want to run the same crappy places we have here in Eberron anymore  Angry
I want to level from 1 - 40 in Forgotten realms. I want end-game raids in Forgotten realms, in these famous cities. Fuck I would play the same Iron throne story-line from BG1 if we get a raid there.
For a 15 year old D&D game, the world we play is abyssmal  Cry

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:36am:
They will definitely get it. But what is the point if I cannot play in Baldur's gate, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Icewind Dale and other famous places? I don't want to run the same crappy places we have here in Eberron anymore  Angry
I want to level from 1 - 40 in Forgotten realms. I want end-game raids in Forgotten realms, in these famous cities. Fuck I would play the same Iron throne story-line from BG1 if we get a raid there.

SSG will never get the licensing for any future Forgotten Realms content.  The only reason they got any D&D IP to begin with was because they went with Eberron - which absolutely nobody else wanted.

Honestly though, it’s not like they’re actually capable of producing professional quality content anymore.  Everybody with half a brain left quite a while ago, so we’re stuck with the intellectual runts of the litter.

Just look at how badly that talentless dog carcass flea circus fucked up the last expansion.  Expect the same bugged out, half assed mess from that raid they’re about to drop on us all like turkey shit.

IP Logged

The Grandest of Fellows
Titan Demolisher

Hail Friends!

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Bitches be like...

Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
For a 15 year old D&D game, the world we play is abyssmal

if you want the Sword Coat, Neverwinter Online is your game. DDO will never come near the Sword Coast. ( because that bit is reserved for Neverwinter Online Obviously )

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:29am:
SSG will never get the licensing for any future Forgotten Realms content.  The only reason they got any D&D IP to begin with was because they went with Eberron - which absolutely nobody else wanted.

Honestly though, it’s not like they’re actually capable of producing professional quality content anymore.  Everybody with half a brain left quite a while ago, so we’re stuck with the intellectual runts of the litter.

Just look at how badly that talentless dog carcass flea circus fucked up the last expansion.  Expect the same bugged out, half assed mess from that raid they’re about to drop on us all like turkey shit.

When DDO came out NWNII was still a thing, and Eberron was the the Official support universe for 3.5. So it was  basically obvious that Eberron had to be used. Wizard  ( that just had bought TSR ) wanted to get rid of all the old stuff because it contained lots and lots and lots of muddled IP and was a legal nightmare. ( For example : Krynn ( aka Dragonlance, Nothing can be published by WoTC without the consent of Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. And since it's an utterly fucked up IP Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis cannot edit anything on their own without the consent of WoTC. It's the more or less the same for most if not all of the Faerun stuff, the Greyhawk stuff and all the D&D ( Boxed ) stuff. ( not going into Spelljammer, Darksun, and all the other settings... similar issues most of the time... all the PnP game companies that published at that time have the issue with old content [ Eg : ICE can't write anything about Shadow World without Amthor consent and Amthor can't write anything in Shodow World without ICE consent... luckily they are talking together and are cooperating to get things published  )

Eberron was a clean slate. TSR/WoTC owned the IP ( it was part of the deal they made ) and paid ( one shot, no muddled IP ) people to write adventures in it.

Nobody wanted Eberron also in PnP because we all had spend hours and hours and hours in Krynn, Faerun, Oerth, or another setting and didn't want to waste hours learning about yet another setting.
So having Eberron in DDO was a way to promote it... Since lots of PnP players were going to at lest give a look at DDO. ( and at that time anyway since NWNII was still a thing the Sword Coast was already not allowed. )

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I'm in a very small minority that likes the Eberron setting aren't I?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm in a very small minority that likes the Eberron setting aren't I?

I wouldn't call it a minority but I think fewer people care about "setting" than some of the more vocal proponents realize. Personally I am not a huge fan of teleporting all over the landscape. Specifically I mean "Walk through a portal and you teleport in Eberron and you are teleported to wherever the hell Ravenloft is". One of the things I really liked about DDO pre-MOTU was the lengths they went to to make it feel like you were having adventures in and around the city of stormreach.

They appear to have given up on that shitentirely.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Well that's not something Eberron specific... it's a DDO specific thing. They could have had an open world ( at least for everything in Eberron ( and by Extension for everything in Faerun when they started developping it or Ravenloft  or Sharn )

They would still have had to find ways to transfer from Eberron to Faerun and to Sharn and Ravenloft  ( even if Ravenloft is not separate and seems to be tied to Faerun in the files ) But they could have made an openw world à la LoTRO if they wanted it. ( take a /loc before crossing a door in the market ( while stayiing in public areas ) and after crossing it you'll see. ( or have an old RD-RAM Pc run the game [ they didn't have any loading screen while transitionning ]. )

and I agree that before Motu you had the feel that Stormreach was the Hub of Adventuring and you were going in the countryside ( sometime far away [ menechtarun for example ] but still had a strong tie to Stormreach )
Nowadays the tie is much weaker and the adventuring hubs are more spread ( Eveningstar, Sharn , Ravenloft ) and

anyway

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:56pm:
Well that's not something Eberron specific... it's a DDO specific thing. They could have had an open world ( at least for everything in Eberron ( and by Extension for everything in Faerun when they started developping it or Ravenloft  or Sharn )

See and I constantly wonder why they DIDN'T do an open world. Asheron's Call had a for the time revolutionary engine(that's actually still pretty impressive today). With a few graphics overhauls it could have made DDO incredible. You can see it in places like the Vale. From the right vantage point you can see clear across the map - even WoW has to have zones.

I remember when i first started playing DDO, my initial reaction was pretty much "Well, this is fun, I guess. But I don't see how it will last without being open-world.

Of course since then most other MMOs have abandoned the openworld concept, so here we are...

Flav wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:56pm:
They would still have had to find ways to transfer from Eberron to Faerun and to Sharn and Ravenloft  ( even if Ravenloft is not separate and seems to be tied to Faerun in the files ) But they could have made an openw world à la LoTRO if they wanted it. ( take a /loc before crossing a door in the market ( while stayiing in public areas ) and after crossing it you'll see. ( or have an old RD-RAM Pc run the game [ they didn't have any loading screen while transitionning ]. )

and I agree that before Motu you had the feel that Stormreach was the Hub of Adventuring and you were going in the countryside ( sometime far away [ menechtarun for example ] but still had a strong tie to Stormreach )
Nowadays the tie is much weaker and the adventuring hubs are more spread ( Eveningstar, Sharn , Ravenloft ) and

anyway

yeah  feels like with motu they gave up entirely and just said "fuck it, everyone teleport all over the place".

I remember some of the content even had special loading screens depicting a map and a dotted line showing you exactly where you'd traveled. I miss it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 5:36pm:
yeah  feels like with motu they gave up entirely and just said "fuck it, everyone teleport all over the place".

Well that's one of the DDO appeal : it takes less than 5 minutes to run from one of the most remote corner of DDO to the other most remote corner ( without a mount ). In other MMOs it takes hours if not days. ( with a mount )

Adventures are just a transition away.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 3:09pm:
Well that's one of the DDO appeal : it takes less than 5 minutes to run from one of the most remote corner of DDO to the other most remote corner ( without a mount ). In other MMOs it takes hours if not days. ( with a mount )

Adventures are just a transition away.

It only really has to be that way because SSG has made so many poor design decisions.

I remember back in the early days of vanilla wow(before they started up all that teleporter bullshit). The idea back then was you met up with your friends in a city and then set off together to travel to the distant dungeon. The journey was part of the adventure. It worked because in most cases you didn't do a particular dungeon more than once or twice(unless it was an end-game raid). When it actually worked out it was fun and exciting. Of course many players didn't "get" this and bitched about it constantly.

DDO on the flip side is based entirely around grinding specific quests until you want to kill yourself. If it didn't have the close-quarters hub-like structure I don't think it would be even remotely playable. As is when shit is way out in maze-like wilderness areas I very frequently find myself saying "Fuck it" and closing out the client when thats the only option. I never did Gianthold much because navigating that son of a bitch was so much more trouble than its worth.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Dude. You get lost in mf Gianthold?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
If you box most of you're lives, and willing to suck Grands dick for more, and can not run Gianthold, then I feel sorry for you really.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:46am:
Dude. You get lost in mf Gianthold?

Its very deliberately maze-like. Compare to say The Shroud where most of the dungeon entrances are relatively easy to find(long draw distances + clear environments) and have multiple routes to get there. GH looks like a visualized fart and most dungeons can only be reached through very specific and tedious routes. Its less an "explorer area" than "A very specific track with many false paths".

I'm sure with a little work I could memorize the necessary routes. My point was the rewards aren't worth the efforts.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Latetotheparty wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:38pm:
If you box most of you're lives, and willing to suck Grands dick for more, and can not run Gianthold, then I feel sorry for you really.

I did plenty of lives with no boxing and non gianthold and only reasonable amounts of Grand dick-sucking. Its not so hard(the lives, not Grand's dick. That thing was a fucking diamond).

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #22 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:47pm:
reasonable amounts of Grand dick-sucking

Once the tip is in, you might as well go all the way.  And once you've sucked one dick, you might as well suck them all.  In for a peni, in for a pounding as they say.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #23 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 4:59pm:
DDO on the flip side is based entirely around grinding specific quests until you want to kill yourself.

Well in the early game days the path was clearly set :
complete as many as possible of the Cove Class Challenges as well as Euphonia's Challenge, then move to lower harbor, grind that to death, take the quest to reach the upper harbor, go straight to Waterworks, get the pass to the Market, STK, then GMW, Farm the hell out of Gwylan, then Co6 and VON are your friends until cap. ( normaly you were hitting Co6/VON at level 6 or so... remember underlevel bonus... not dicksucking bravery bonus. Mastering VON3 with a LVL 5/6 party ( of then first life characters... most if not all of them 28 pointers ) was really a challenge [ and it was rewarding ] )

noamineo wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 4:59pm:
I never did Gianthold much because navigating that son of a bitch was so much more trouble than its worth.

You missed LVL 10 PoP farming ( basically the way to elvel from 10 to 14 in a few pops ). sadly they nerfed the XPs into oblivion ( the XP you get nowadays are something like less than 20% of what was initially given... and the underlevel bonus was still there at that time )

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:24pm:
remember underlevel bonus... not dicksucking bravery bonus.

And assuming the code is well documented on their end, lol, I would think it would be easy to swap their current mechanics and bonuses to ones that would instead reward under level.  First run under level gives the bonuses that increase for the number of levels under up to say a max like 5.  Pretty sure that wouldn't run a foul of the repeat penalties, and would reward under level more challenging play, with benefits for E rather than N first run still added on but reduced due to the added under level bonus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint