Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) SSG and job security. (Read 4259 times)
Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Re: SSG and job security.
Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I was wondering how SSG on the LOTRO side are going to make the game playable on game console.
This is why I thought they may need someone to come in and deal with that.
I would love to see Jerry replaced.

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I found this from  contains moderate peril

Therefore community management is mainly about PR and pouring oil on troubled waters, rather than hands on change. However, SSG seems to fail to understand this and their current incumbent CM for LOTRO, Cordovan (AKA Jerry Snook), certainly comes across like a square peg in a round hole. His responses to player criticism and concerns often appear indifferent and implicitly passive-aggressive. One wonders if he even enjoys or wants the position he holds.

LOTRO has endured bad community relations for over a decade now and one has to ponder how and why a company such as Turbine/SSG so consistently manages to get things wrong. It may be down to the fact that it is a relatively small company which has key members of staff that have remained in position throughout the company's lifecycle. It could be possible that there simply isn’t the talent in-house to provide someone who is sufficiently au fait with the requirements of modern community management. Perhaps the company is so focused upon keeping the gaming running and their staff employed that dealing with their customer base is simply a priority that is much further down the list. However, many players were hoping that the EG 7 acquisition would potentially fix this perennial problem, as they have implied that they will be investing in the game.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 13th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
306 months

25.5 years?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Cordo obviously owns a huge private equity stake in SSG.  It's not standing stone games, its Snook Snook and Gay

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 13th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
They would have to screw up especially badly.

The domain would have to expire, at which point it enters a grace period and the domain name servers stop rerouting it. SSG would have to ignore that ddo.com was down for 306 months before the domain went on the open market, at which point it probably wouldn't be a $10 registration fee but would go up for auction.

Two thoughts,  first are you sure on your numbers?  Second, even with your numbers you're saying its plausible.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 9:56am
Print Post  
well www.standingstonegames.com is registered by Daybreak.
all the DDO and Lotro stuff are still registered by Turbine.

Anyway you know where to look for that kind of information so you can dig it yourself.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Two thoughts,  first are you sure on your numbers?  Second, even with your numbers you're saying its plausible.

Yeah my numbers are super wrong. I was tryig to type "3 to 6 months" and got jerry-fingers. My bad.

And No I don't believe SSG could fail to notice that ddo.com was down for more than five or six days.

I you want a good example, check out this site:

http://2cpu.com/

^Used to be a huge dual-processor enthusiast forum back in the late 90s/early 2000s, was still limping along 2-3 years ago. The community dried up and the site owner abandoned it. Notice how the website doesn't load(this is because it was actually hosted on equipment physically owned by the guy who ran the place). Because the site had been around for so long(and had had so much traffic, unlike a brand new domain), once the original registration expired some company appears to have bought the registration and is holding onto it, hoping to flip it for a profit.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 14th, 2021 at 7:00pm:
And No I don't believe SSG could fail to notice that ddo.com was down for more than five or six days.

Have some faith,  if there's a a way, they can pull it off.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Have some faith,  if there's a a way, they can pull it off.

That's true actually. If the forums managed to stay up somehow(not entirely impossible as its hosted independently) they could easily ignore people complaining about the site being down for a very good while.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #34 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 10:48am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 14th, 2021 at 7:00pm:
I you want a good example, check out this site:

http://2cpu.com/

^Used to be a huge dual-processor enthusiast forum back in the late 90s/early 2000s, was still limping along 2-3 years ago. The community dried up and the site owner abandoned it. Notice how the website doesn't load(this is because it was actually hosted on equipment physically owned by the guy who ran the place). Because the site had been around for so long(and had had so much traffic, unlike a brand new domain), once the original registration expired some company appears to have bought the registration and is holding onto it, hoping to flip it for a profit.

Ahhh...the good old days. I got into multi-cpu PCs pretty heavily in the early 2000s. I was cranking out the SETI units like no one's business! Only Nipfty did more during that period.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 10:48am:
Ahhh...the good old days. I got into multi-cpu PCs pretty heavily in the early 2000s. I was cranking out the SETI units like no one's business! Only Nipfty did more during that period.

Yeah the advent of dual-core nearly killed the dual-socket concept. The 2cpu community was never quite the same after the mid2000s when for a few years there just... weren't dual-socket workstation boards being made. Dark times.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #36 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I was a single socket fan ( dual socket was just too expensive... especially when I was maintining 2 or 3 PCs and a Sparc at the same time ).

but as soon as Pentium D came, I just couldn't avoid buying the meanest beast available at that time : a Pentium D930.

The good part : it prpvided heating to my flat for years
The bad part : firing it up in summer meant that the flat went 3°C up in a matter of an hour. despite open windows.
( I was living in what we call a studio at that time [ read a one room flat with [when lucky]  a separate kitchen, [I was lucky] and a bathroom [ usually a showeer when lucky a tub... I was lucky I had a tub ] )

On winter it was great though. I had almost no heating costs. ( sincce it was electrical heating getting the heating from the Pentium D was better than from the Heating device as it served double purpose )

That processor was so good that it lasted me 9 years ( and thus I went through the whole core thingie and all the early Pentium ( rebranding ) generations ) before the mainboard went awol. At that point the options were limited and I just built a new system with current stuff. ( and I replaced it since then by a more modern one because of yet another mainboard failure. )

Anyway, as for Seti, I'm in the top 2 for my signing date. no point saying more. ( Class of 2000-08-30)
I still have Boinc running ( though not with Seti since they parked the project ) right now it's Roseta and Einstain.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #37 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I think I had a pentium D for a while somewhere in my collection. I've been building a lot of retro systems these days. Modern hardware is fun and all but its so much cheaper to max out something old. Current project is a dual slot1 P3. Because I always wanted one.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #38 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:39pm:
no point saying more.

It's like you *want* to be doxxed.  The little drippings here and there, the fun had when the wrong city was found.  I think you're nuts.  One of these days a real crazy is gonna show up on your doorstep.  And not your run of the mill mainboard crazy, no.. a vault crazy.

You should shut up, or maybe it's all a wild goose chase?  I hope so.  Else you gonna get eaten by the next disgruntled Kistilan or whatever the fuck his name was.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #39 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 9:42pm:
And not your run of the mill mainboard crazy, no.. a vault crazy.

Nah vault crazy is still too limp-dicked to do more than troll ineffectually, too scared to leave mommy's basement.

Else you gonna get eaten by the next disgruntled Kistilan or whatever the fuck his name was.

Even Flav could beat up kissy. To be fair I'm relatively certain Flav could kick my ass.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #40 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
It's like you *want* to be doxxed.  The little drippings here and there, the fun had when the wrong city was found.  I think you're nuts.  One of these days a real crazy is gonna show up on your doorstep.  And not your run of the mill mainboard crazy, no.. a vault crazy.

Since it has already been pointed out that I posted pictures with GPS locations ( mayonaise anybody ) in the EXIF it's pointless to hide. And since I never hid the fact that I was seeing planes landing/taking off  in ORY ( Orly ) from my window it limited a lot the search area.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #41 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 3:04pm:
Since it has already been pointed out that I posted pictures with GPS locations ( mayonaise anybody ) in the EXIF it's pointless to hide. And since I never hid the fact that I was seeing planes landing/taking off  in ORY ( Orly ) from my window it limited a lot the search area.

Let's not forget that you're an openly french telco expert. The field just isn't that big. I'd be lying if I said I thought I could dox you with a lot of effort, but I'm also very lazy.

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #42 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Out of curiosity does anyone know how the rights to the domain work?  If they forgot to register it again,  could strake for example buy it and move the vault to DDO.com to fuck with them?  Legally?  Just curious.

this essentially happened to McDonalds once (might have been BK but i think McDonalds), when the internet was just getting to be accessible by anyone they hadn't bought their domain name and someone noticed, told them about it multiple time and they basically said "IDGAF" so he bought it and later sold it to them for a pretty penny IIRC

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #43 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
lostthenloved wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:59pm:
this essentially happened to McDonalds once (might have been BK but i think McDonalds), when the internet was just getting to be accessible by anyone they hadn't bought their domain name and someone noticed, told them about it multiple time and they basically said "IDGAF" so he bought it and later sold it to them for a pretty penny IIRC

I remember this era well. Specifically I remember trying to do a report on Scotland(the country) and going to "www.scotland.com/" to discover that some randomass kid named Scot had bought the domain and set up his own little website. An entire country failed to buy it's domain. This wasn't even the wildwest days, this was like circa 2000.

The best part? If your name is "Scot" and you built a website about yourself(adding "land" on the end a-la Disneyland), legally there's nothing they can do. You aren't infringing on anyone's trademark. They only way they can get it from you is for you to willingly sell it to them.

Things like McDonalds.com are a little different. You'd have to have a damn good excuse as to why you own that domain, or sell it to them at a price that's less than the legal fees of taking it from you.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #44 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 4:36pm:
you're an openly french telco expert. The field just isn't that big.

Point. It's small enough that you can meet in the entrance hall of $TELCO a former colleague on a semi regular basis.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:48pm:
Point.

See? its like you wanna be found, or something. Everyone who posts on the vault should do it from the bottom of an old salt mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint