Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) SSG and job security. (Read 4222 times)
Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

SSG and job security.
Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
When it comes time for EG7 to upgrade LOTRO they will probably have to use a different team.
So does DDO get stuck with SSG?
I just can not see SSG being able to do what EG7 hopes for the game.
Sadly I would be happy to hear about some lay offs.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: SSG and job security.
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:00am
Print Post  
There are always more interns.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Its a sure bet Fat Jerry keeps his job in any changeover.  Everyone likes BJs in their office after a long day and he pays for his own kneepads.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Latetotheparty wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:24pm:
When it comes time for EG7 to upgrade LOTRO they will probably have to use a different team.

The whole basis for everything else is that you suppose bollocks as this is almost certainly wrong.

Changing the team means you need months for the new team to look at the code and work out what is going on. Knowledge of the existing system is vital and essential knowledge.
"Why was something done?" - answering that is vital and that's something the team has that new people don't.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:33pm:
"Why was something done?" - answering that is vital and that's something the team has that new people don't.

You think that they know now?

That knowledge was lost years ago.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
As the disclosures show, DDO is still making money after 14 years, there is no reason the new owners change the team.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:59pm:
As the disclosures show, DDO is still making money after 14 years, there is no reason the new owners change the team.

Maybe not, but what about money?  Do the new owners turn on the spigot and flood them with cash, giving them the green light on eveything they request?  Are they nerfing so much because they are well funded now, lol?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:59pm:
As the disclosures show, DDO is still making lots of ( as in much more than everybody thought ) money after 14 years, there is no reason the new owners change the team.   

fify

And I agree, there's no point to replace a team that manage to bring in money after that long by a new one that will have to learn how to handle the Spaghetti Code. ( or work around it ).

Shunned wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 1:23pm:
Do the new owners turn on the
spigot and flood them with cash,

DDO is a much more niche game than LoTRO and things are planned for LoTRO when Amazon release the series, but it a semi-decent assumption to think that they will do the same for DDO when the D&D movie comes out.
( and after all since both game are based on the same engine if you spend money to upgrade one, you have already spent most of the money to upgrade the other  Roll Eyes )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:33pm:
Changing the team means you need months for the new team to look at the code and work out what is going on. Knowledge of the existing system is vital and essential knowledge.

This.

Knowledge transfer is hard enough when anything is properly documented and meticulously recorded. This is SSG we're talking about; you know the code is full of gotos and spaghettis logic. Nothing is written down, everything important lives in the heads of a few fat employees.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 3:15pm:
and after all since both game are based on the same engine if you spend money to upgrade one, you have already spent most of the money to upgrade the other  Roll Eyes )

Stop you'll give me flashbacks to the physics engine upgrade.  =P

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Is there a correlation between the U48.4 alchemist and sorc nerfs and the recent "is the license expiring" and "will the SSG employees get fired soon" threads?

Seems like there is a pattern here.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:03pm:
Is there a correlation between the U48.4 alchemist and sorc nerfs and the recent "is the license expiring" and "will the SSG employees get fired soon" threads?

There's also a possible investment into LOTRO, maybe they will just go to LOTRO side so they try to screw us one last time. Or maybe there will be a last expansion just in case the transition goes too slow. Dunno when the license expire.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Stop you'll give me flashbacks to the physics engine upgrade.  =P

Bouncing away from walls while feather falling after a headbutt to the wall too many times ?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:23pm:
Bouncing away from walls while feather falling after a headbutt to the wall too many times ?

Oh fucking hell I hate that bug so much.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:23pm:

I was thinking of walking down a step and taking lethal falling damage and mobs walking away through walls off the map.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:03pm:

I mentioned their IP renewal because it expires this year, there’s not one person at SSG that’s actually good at his or her job, and there are only so many times that those half-assing imbeciles can stumble and fall upwards.

The ONLY pattern here is SSG’s inability to do a single fucking thing without it being a completely fucked up mess.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:36pm:
The ONLY pattern here is SSG’s inability to do a single fucking thing without it being a completely fucked up mess.

I disagree. They seem to manage breathing ok. Except for jerry.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 6:18pm:
I disagree. They seem to manage breathing ok. Except for jerry.

I wasn’t aware that they’d installed c-pap machines at every dev desk.  But it does make perfect sense that ol’ Jerry would need help with turning one on.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Speaking of such, when does their hostname expire?  And their security certificates?  Didn't they fuck them up renewal before?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
You name it they've probably found a way to fuck it up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 7:45pm:
Speaking of such, when does their hostname expire?  And their security certificates?  Didn't they fuck them up renewal before?

They did fuck up the domain name renewel for the website once.
Not for the game server as far as I remember.

now the fun thing is that the www.standingstonegames.com website is not colocated with all the DDO or all the Lotro stuff. ( the DDO/Lotro stuff are in the Newark area, the SSG website appears to be somewhere beyond Denver ( I suspect Las Vegas, but I'm not certain ) )

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 7:45pm:

If I'm reading the whois correctly 2022.

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-06-14T04:00:00Z

This is for DDO btw.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how the rights to the domain work?  If they forgot to register it again,  could strake for example buy it and move the vault to DDO.com to fuck with them?  Legally?  Just curious.

IP Logged

KlownKar
Korthos Resident

Brain Candy Pez Dispenser

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:53am
Print Post  
As long as the holder offered them a chance to update, and they fucked it all up in their normal MO; yes he could.

But it would have to be clear and obvious that the new website wasn't the Game itself, its IP or the like - or you'd probably find yourself in a name image and likeness quagmire.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Out of curiosity does anyone know how the rights to the domain work?  If they forgot to register it again,  could strake for example buy it and move the vault to DDO.com to fuck with them?  Legally?  Just curious.

They would have to screw up especially badly.

The domain would have to expire, at which point it enters a grace period and the domain name servers stop rerouting it. SSG would have to ignore that ddo.com was down for 306 months before the domain went on the open market, at which point it probably wouldn't be a $10 registration fee but would go up for auction.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:21am:
now the fun thing is that the www.standingstonegames.com website is not colocated with all the DDO or all the Lotro stuff. ( the DDO/Lotro stuff are in the Newark area, the SSG website appears to be somewhere beyond Denver ( I suspect Las Vegas, but I'm not certain ) )

Based on the sophistication of the website it is probably being hosted directly by the domain registrar. Most registrars will allow you a single page of HTML for free. The images are linked elsewhere.

That is how cheap SSG is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint