Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mobs are using tactics now (Read 2747 times)
ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Mobs are using tactics now
Feb 17th, 2021 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Over the last few days I've noticed something...

Mobs are side-stepping casts and attacks.. I've verified it with Kobolds, Trogs, and Hobs... WE can't do that.. if you were moving before they cast or ranged you can have the evade, but if you move after they initiate but are well out of the way before it gets anywhere near you.. you still get nailed.

Mobs are using terrain for cover from your spells and attacks, as they close distance on your position.  Something as small as a sapling or even a road sign works, and they use it. They can shoot YOU through those items, but you can't hit them.

Mobs are protecting Reapers... they throw themselves into the path of your ranged and casting attacks to prevent your killing the Reaper. I've been running STK on R4 and it's constant. Reapers spawn everwhere and the Hobs jump in the way even as I side-to-side for position and line of site clear shot.

I didn't notice ANY of this until recently... anyone else?

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Re: Mobs are using tactics now
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Mobs ai to me always seems to vary with server stability.  When the server has a good moment,  the mobs are smarter. 

Maybe it's just me.  It's a thought based on only my memory.  But if I had to guess at things,  maybe something to do with pathing and server resources.

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
oh no, ddo got tired of y'1all talking shit and is going full skynet!

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
lostthenloved wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:48pm:
oh no, ddo got tired of y'1all talking shit and is going full skynet!

Please don't get my hopes up. 

Hail my mechanical overlord!  You can't fuck up any worse than us meat sacks with running the planet.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Certain types always hop around like crazy.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:27am
Print Post  
No.. I tested it for about an hour.. this wasn't bouncing all over.. this was tactical

I started with a kob... I was light-crossbow ranging.. he was about 40 feet away. If I only shot a single volley, he would side jump it then jump back.. It did this repeatedly until I unloaded on him.. or something else tried to rush me... did that same test on multiple races.. but the only ones that did it reliably were Kobs, Trogs, and Hobs

5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:53am:
Certain types always hop around like crazy.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 5:57am
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:27am:
Kobs, Trogs, and Hobs

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 6:08am
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 6:05pm:
I didn't notice ANY of this until recently... anyone else?

Do you really think SSG are capable of improving mob AI to make them smart?

IP Logged

Magneto
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Some mobs dodging away. The endboss kobold in bargain of blood is a goo example. Allways i wanna strike my best attack. This reptile jump off. Make sidesteps etc. But in other quests like cabal, mobs follow same attack route like others from enemy group.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I'm sometimes incredibly impressed by video game AI. I remember a late-90s space fighting simulator I used to play(heh, 'used to', still gets turned on once or twice a year). The game had an auto-pilot feature on the ships to assist with docking, it would initiate every time you flew too close to a hangar. Imagine my surprise one day while fighting an AI ship(which didn't have autopilot), my enemy very deliberately lured me into a course that took me too close and on the right approach to trigger the autopilot, then turned around and proceeded to blast me into pieces while my defenseless ship tried to carry out the routine docking.

I feel sometimes like video game AI back in the late 90s was more inventive than anything we get now.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:30pm:
I'm sometimes incredibly impressed by video game AI. I remember a late-90s space fighting simulator I used to play(heh, 'used to', still gets turned on once or twice a year). The game had an auto-pilot feature on the ships to assist with docking, it would initiate every time you flew too close to a hangar. Imagine my surprise one day while fighting an AI ship(which didn't have autopilot), my enemy very deliberately lured me into a course that took me too close and on the right approach to trigger the autopilot, then turned around and proceeded to blast me into pieces while my defenseless ship tried to carry out the routine docking.

I feel sometimes like video game AI back in the late 90s was more inventive than anything we get now.

I keep thinking it would be cool if an mmo put the hardware into run a neural net ai for say raid bosses.  Each week during downtime you could have the ai learn from the past weeks players attempts to get smarter.  The hardware that would need seems like it might still be prohibitive though.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I keep thinking it would be cool if an mmo put the hardware into run a neural net ai for say raid bosses.  Each week during downtime you could have the ai learn from the past weeks players attempts to get smarter.  The hardware that would need seems like it might still be prohibitive though.

Its not so much that the hardware itself is prohibitively expensive as the scaling required. Keep in mind it was possible to simulate one or two nuerons on a single P3 from 20 years ago. Depending on exactly how complex you want to get it, you could run the AI off of a powerful consumer-grade processor. If you want more speed a couple of GPUs are even better.

The problem is... you'd only be able to do one raid boss at a time. Or have enough hardware available for all the instances of a raid(and remember that could easily be hundreds).

Then factor in that as the complexity of the server grows, the cost and skill needed to operate it go up exponentially. Right now, DDO is running on a stack of beefy enterprise-grade VM hosts hooked to a SAN. That's simple enough to park ata datacenter colocation and maintain mostly remote. Trying to add a couple dozen cabinets full of GPUs, IB switches, and more high-end SANs not only drives up the cost to a huge degree, it also means you have to start hiring experts to operate and maintain the system(and trust me, these guys do not come cheap).

At that point it would literally be cheaper to hire a bunch of interns and pay them to control raid bosses and play them.

Technically, you are still training a neural net...

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:56pm:
Its not so much that the hardware itself is prohibitively expensive as the scaling required. Keep in mind it was possible to simulate one or two nuerons on a single P3 from 20 years ago. Depending on exactly how complex you want to get it, you could run the AI off of a powerful consumer-grade processor. If you want more speed a couple of GPUs are even better.

The problem is... you'd only be able to do one raid boss at a time. Or have enough hardware available for all the instances of a raid(and remember that could easily be hundreds).

Then factor in that as the complexity of the server grows, the cost and skill needed to operate it go up exponentially. Right now, DDO is running on a stack of beefy enterprise-grade VM hosts hooked to a SAN. That's simple enough to park ata datacenter colocation and maintain mostly remote. Trying to add a couple dozen cabinets full of GPUs, IB switches, and more high-end SANs not only drives up the cost to a huge degree, it also means you have to start hiring experts to operate and maintain the system(and trust me, these guys do not come cheap).

At that point it would literally be cheaper to hire a bunch of interns and pay them to control raid bosses and play them.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/trained_a_neural_net.png

Technically, you are still training a neural net...

Yeah scale is what I was thinking of.  Even with renting out Google Cloud TPU's I don't think we can do the kind of scale it would take yet.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah scale is what I was thinking of.  Even with renting out Google Cloud TPU's I don't think we can do the kind of scale it would take yet. 

Well and theres a speed-issue with timesharing. MMOs work because everything is close together, low latancy. Trying to share out a part of the backend process to the cloud? Laaaaag city.

Sometime you should check out the concept of the "gameframe" - combines extremely high I/O of a mainframe with the serious processing grunt of a traditional computer cluster, Custom fucking made for running MMOs. Of course SSG has nothing of the sort.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 8:45am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:41am:
Well and theres a speed-issue with timesharing. MMOs work because everything is close together, low latancy. Trying to share out a part of the backend process to the cloud? Laaaaag city.

Sometime you should check out the concept of the "gameframe" - combines extremely high I/O of a mainframe with the serious processing grunt of a traditional computer cluster, Custom fucking made for running MMOs. Of course SSG has nothing of the sort.

Come on Lag isn't a concern,  DDO has already proven that turn based MMOs work.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Bats and birds! Bats and birds!!!

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:07am
Print Post  
No.. bats & birds exploit a weakenss in the MMO hitbox... that's why I don't use the booger sleds in Just Business...

Your hit box is SUPPOSED to be in a litteral box surrounding you. It has a range above and below you as well.. but its not a solid box. it's actually done in multiple layers... so if what you are targeting is in between those layers, you can't hit it.

Even if a bat is within arms reach.. it is constantly fluttering up and down, in and out of those hit-box layers.. until it's in a layer, you can't hit it.

Mattyo wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 10:26am:
Bats and birds! Bats and birds!!!

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Just picturing what you described flared up my bat hate.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Pixies.  Not from ai but from model stealth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint