Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Re-Shader Help (Read 9270 times)
ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re-Shader Help
Mar 21st, 2021 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I was wondering... I use Re-Shader to fix my gamma and contrast because I'm using two 4k Monitors when I play and the slide bars are locked and HD makes everything REALLY fucking dark.  I'm just wondering if there are specific settings that help in ultra-dark locations like 'Rainbow in the Dark' over in Vale

I heard its the same way folks re-render to see the path in Ascension Chamber...

Thanks

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Re: Re-Shader Help
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Not sure about other ways but if I really want to run Rainbow I open the DDO config ini in the documents folder and look for something like ambient boost.  I change that from 0.00 to 1.00 and the game gets a lot of extra light so that nothing is really dark.  If you have a hard time finding the option let me know.  I'll open up my file and look up what the option is specifically called.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I cannot help but feel compelled to say I hate shade

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Rainbow in the dark is supposed to be dark. its a game mechanic.

That said can you tell us a little more about your setup? I'm usined one 4k monitor and I like it quite a bit. Never quote figured out how people use 2 monitors to play DDO.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:33pm:
Rainbow in the dark is supposed to be dark. its a game mechanic.

That said can you tell us a little more about your setup? I'm usined one 4k monitor and I like it quite a bit. Never quote figured out how people use 2 monitors to play DDO.

It doesn't have to be.  I found out the method I listed earlier just as a method to make the levels visible without adjusting Gamma.  It just so happens that my fix to make the game easier on my eyes,  invalidates that mechanic.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 11:11pm:
using two 4k Monitors when I play

Never quote figured out how people use 2 monitors to play DDO.

"using 2 monitors when you play" generally means having the game on one monitor and something else on the other.

Running DDO does mess with the graphics of whatever else you are running though. In my case, everything else is too bright when I alt tab.

Even weirder: If I double box DDO, everything else gets that much even brighter, but when I close both instances of DDO, the brightness only drops to 1 DDO's worth of extra brightness. And it stays that way until I reboot.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 1:15pm
Print Post  

Not using a 4k but I use 2 TV's.  Plugged both into the card and extend the display in windows.  Then launch DDO in one monitor as borderless windowed and launch chrome etc in the second window transferring between them by just moving your mouse.  While nice for gaming it's even nicer when working and keeping chrome / slack / discord open in the other.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not using a 4k but I use 2 TV's.  Plugged both into the card and extend the display in windows.  Then launch DDO in one monitor as borderless windowed and launch chrome etc in the second window transferring between them by just moving your mouse.  While nice for gaming it's even nicer when working and keeping chrome / slack / discord open in the other.

5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 1:07pm:
"using 2 monitors when you play" generally means having the game on one monitor and something else on the other.

Ahhh ok. Yeah I just use 2 computers for that. I have a 4k switcher for the main screen and then a seperate KVM that does the keyboard/mouse only, and just switch back and forth between workstation/gaming rig as needed. I find that in general fullscreen games fuck with multi-monitor setups and I cannot bring myself to play in windowed mode)even borderless) so having a standalone single-screen gaming box has been my go-to for decades now. It probably helps that I don't give much of a fuck about graphics wuality as my gaming rig has always been lower-tiered than my workstation.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:32pm
Print Post  

I beg to disagree.

3840*1080 easy done with Radeon Eyefinity.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I tried with [Render]/AmbientLightBoost in the 'UserPreferences.ini' .. but no matter what I try to set it to.. it resets back to zero... even if I leave the file open after saving. I don't know how to keep the adjustment to the file

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Ok.. have to save the file change while outside of the game.. that seems to work.. then start up the client

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Even weirder: If I double box DDO, everything else gets that much even brighter, but when I close both instances of DDO, the brightness only drops to 1 DDO's worth of extra brightness. And it stays that way until I reboot.

You just havr to open the NVIDIA/AMD system control and you can normalize it under the desktop color settings. ('use nvidia settings') Wink

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:32pm:

So how do you deal with the weird bezzel straight down the middle? That's what's kept me off of dual-screen gaming.

I tried DDO with 3 screens many times - since its not made for widscreen ou get horrible warping on both side screens. I then tried with 6(go eyefinity!) and that "worked" except everything was centered - which meant the crosshairs were in between 2 monitors. Fucking hell.

So thats when I bought the single 43" 4k. And so ended my quest for more horizontal resolution.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:32pm:
I beg to disagree.

Sure, it's doable. But it's not generally done is what I said.

SweetKitten wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm:
You just havr to open the NVIDIA/AMD system control and you can normalize it under the desktop color settings. ('use nvidia settings')

Will try that, thanks.

noamineo wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:57pm:
So thats when I bought the single 43" 4k. And so ended my quest for more horizontal resolution.

Yeah, I just use a 50" 4k tv as my monitor.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 2:03pm:
Yeah, I just use a 50" 4k tv as my monitor.

Did you have to look at anything special when settling or did you just go to Walmart and grab the cheapest 50" 4k?

I remember when I was shopping I looked in to using a TV and was told normal TVs wouldnt work well as monitors and to look for a few specific things(I forget what they were). Eventually it turned out a TV in the size I was looking for would cost not a whole lot less than an actual computer monitor, so I went for the monitor.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:57pm:
So how do you deal with the weird bezzel straight down the middle? That's what's kept me off of dual-screen gaming.

I've been doing it for so long ( basically since before Europe was dumped in the US ) that I don't notice the bezels anymore  ( and yes they are large old tech bezels... with modern screens I really wouldn't see them at all. There's enough pictures of them in The Vault [ usually with a repurposed mustard glass filled with wine ] to give an idea of the besel size )

But yes in the first few months I was always orienting so that I had most of my character and the action on one screen or the other and it was hard, many times I thought about reconsidering, but in the end the screen real estate won over the bezel nuisance. ( remember : playing Hjeeling Cleric in the early days, screen real estate was important )

I didn't try 3 screens because after seeing two I know the sides were going to be extremely distorted and more a nuisance than anything so you'd end up playing on the center screen.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:35pm:
I've been doing it for so long ( basically since before Europe was dumped in the US ) that I don't notice the bezels anymore  ( and yes they are large old tech bezels... with modern screens I really wouldn't see them at all. There's enough pictures of them in The Vault [ usually with a repurposed mustard glass filled with wine ] to give an idea of the besel size )

But yes in the first few months I was always orienting so that I had most of my character and the action on one screen or the other and it was hard, many times I thought about reconsidering, but in the end the screen real estate won over the bezel nuisance. ( remember : playing Hjeeling Cleric in the early days, screen real estate was important )

I didn't try 3 screens because after seeing two I know the sides were going to be extremely distorted and more a nuisance than anything so you'd end up playing on the center screen.

If I had the space for a dedicated gaming desk I would do 3 or 5 screens turned horizontal, 6000x1920. Unfortunately such a setup would be useless for anything other than gaming; so while I have the spare gear to do it I haven't got the space. If I had infinite money for a rig i would do 3 sideways 50" 4k screens.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Speaking of KVM as noam did earlier.  Does anyone have experience with KVM?  I rescued an old Mac Pro from the salvation army.  It's got 2x 3GHZ Xeons and 32 of ram and would make a nice workstation.  However I'm trying to figure out a problem.  Because it's a mac it has to keep an old GT 630 graphics card in it because it has the mac firmware on it that allows you to select a boot disk when something goes wrong.

However,  I also have a GTX1050Ti that works.  (Pulled from a computer that got fried but the gpu checks good).

The problem is that for linux you can't load the nvidia proprietary driver for the 1050 and the 630 at the same time. 

So, I'm trying to figure out how to disable the 630 from the main system after boot,  and possibly then pipe it to the KVM for vm's.  But while I've been running linux systems for years,  I've never dealt with dual gpu's in a box before or with using KVM.  Any advice or reading material would be appreciated.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Speaking of KVM as noam did earlier.  Does anyone have experience with KVM?  I rescued an old Mac Pro from the salvation army.  It's got 2x 3GHZ Xeons and 32 of ram and would make a nice workstation.  However I'm trying to figure out a problem.  Because it's a mac it has to keep an old GT 630 graphics card in it because it has the mac firmware on it that allows you to select a boot disk when something goes wrong.

However,  I also have a GTX1050Ti that works.  (Pulled from a computer that got fried but the gpu checks good).

The problem is that for linux you can't load the nvidia proprietary driver for the 1050 and the 630 at the same time. 

So, I'm trying to figure out how to disable the 630 from the main system after boot,  and possibly then pipe it to the KVM for vm's.  But while I've been running linux systems for years,  I've never dealt with dual gpu's in a box before or with using KVM.  Any advice or reading material would be appreciated.

Well... this has nothing to do with KVMs as far as I can tell. I have a ton of experience with KVMs(am using 3 of them in my ridiculous setup).

But.

First off, why not flash the 1050 to mac fw? Just replace that 630 entirely.

If that doesn't work, what about using an older driver? There should exist a driver that can run the 1050 and the 630. Linux drivers must be weird, because I can have both of those in a windows system without any issue. Newer drivers still support older cards, etc. Only time I've seen shit like you're describing was on gAyTI cards.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:30pm:
Well... this has nothing to do with KVMs as far as I can tell. I have a ton of experience with KVMs(am using 3 of them in my ridiculous setup).

But.

If that doesn't work, what about using an older driver? There should exist a driver that can run the 1050 and the 630. Linux drivers must be weird, because I can have both of those in a windows system without any issue. Newer drivers still support older cards, etc. Only time I've seen shit like you're describing was on gAyTI cards.

Linux KVM  (Kernel Virtual Machine).  Other than the name, I don't really know anything about it.

He's not talking about a KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse)

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:30pm:

But.

Yeah were talking about different things I think.  I thought you were using KVM to create a multi-headed gaming system.  (Kernel Virtual Machine)

Yeah windows could do it.  I could probably do it on an AMD card because those are open source and tend to work on odd configs.  However,  Nvidia linux drivers are a closed source blob and unfortunately none of the blobs support both cards at once.

What I'm looking up,  is that you have to alter the grub boot and initramfs to blacklist one card then you can run them in a KVM and pass that extra card to the vm where it can use it directly and you get almost native performance from it.

This would allow me to run a windows VM with the GT630 for the few old games I like that don't do well with wine,  and to set up macOS with the GPU working as a pass through since mac doesn't support any of the standard VMWare VirtualBox graphics acceleration and mac's without acceleration are just in super poor shape.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Oh as far as putting firmware onto the 1050,  there is no firmware for mac for the 1050 and I'm not good enough to write my own patch for it.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:41pm:
Linux KVM  (Kernel Virtual Machine).  Other than the name, I don't really know anything about it.

He's not talking about a KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse)

Lol.  Which is funny, because they referenced your post talking about kvm's, and you WERE talking about KVM switches.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:00pm:
Lol.  Which is funny, because they referenced your post talking about kvm's, and you WERE talking about KVM switches.

Yup I skimmed his post and misunderstood what he was talking about.  I take credit for my fuck ups.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah were talking about different things I think.  I thought you were using KVM to create a multi-headed gaming system.  (Kernel Virtual Machine)

Yeah windows could do it.  I could probably do it on an AMD card because those are open source and tend to work on odd configs.  However,  Nvidia linux drivers are a closed source blob and unfortunately none of the blobs support both cards at once.

What I'm looking up,  is that you have to alter the grub boot and initramfs to blacklist one card then you can run them in a KVM and pass that extra card to the vm where it can use it directly and you get almost native performance from it.

This would allow me to run a windows VM with the GT630 for the few old games I like that don't do well with wine,  and to set up macOS with the GPU working as a pass through since mac doesn't support any of the standard VMWare VirtualBox graphics acceleration and mac's without acceleration are just in super poor shape.

Take a look here.  It looks like you should be able to boot from one card, and then start up a vm using the second card, if the stars all align and the moon is in the right phase.  (IE if a certain number of non-negotiable hardware requirements are met.  I'm not yet sure if the mac pro you are referencing meets any of them)

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-q...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint