Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Re-Shader Help (Read 9323 times)
Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Re: Re-Shader Help
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:04pm:
Take a look here.  It looks like you should be able to boot from one card, and then start up a vm using the second card, if the stars all align and the moon is in the right phase.  (IE if a certain number of non-negotiable hardware requirements are met.  I'm not yet sure if the mac pro you are referencing meets any of them)

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-q...

If these are your processors, you might be in luck.

Intel® Xeon® Processor 5160

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:19pm:
If these are your processors, you might be in luck.

Intel® Xeon® Processor 5160

2x Xeon E5472

[url]https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33085/intel-xeon-processor-

e5472-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1600-mhz-fsb.html[/url]

Looks like I should have VT-x which was my main concern.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
[url]https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33085/intel-xeon-processor-

e5472-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1600-mhz-fsb.html[/url]

I give up Vault you win on my editing this to a semblance of sanity.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Hey do those mac pros do SLI?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:39pm:
Hey do those mac pros do SLI?

I'm not sure.  I'm going to guess no,  but I'm basing that on my gut nothing else.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #30 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
2x Xeon E5472

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33085/intel-xeon-processor-...

Looks like I should have VT-x which was my main concern.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #31 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:46pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:49pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Not bad for $20.00 imo.  I could part it out for more than that.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Just as an update.. set it to 2.50 and fuck if it doesnt make this quest beautiful to run... only need the sceptre for the end door

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:51pm:
Just as an update.. set it to 2.50 and fuck if it doesnt make this quest beautiful to run... only need the sceptre for the end door

It doesn't do anything to abbot though does it?  I haven't ran abbot for ages so I'm unsure.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm not sure.  I'm going to guess no,  but I'm basing that on my gut nothing else.

It is weirdly tough to find a dual-socket system that does.

Quote:
Not bad for $20.00 imo.  I could part it out for more than that.

Fuck yeah it is. I'm jealous, the good will's around here fuckin suck a nut.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #37 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yup 3,1 MP

And what os are you generally using on it?  Or what are you trying to use?

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I've gotten this,  for 20.00 and in the past I've gotten a 2011 MBP for 15,  an hp generation 1 i3 laptop for 5,  and a surface pro 3 with a cracked screen but otherwise functional for 20.00 from that one in the past 6 years since I moved to my current area.  I love that Salvation Army. I think it pulls from Gross Pointe.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:05pm:
And what os are you generally using on it?  Or what are you trying to use?

Probably going to do some light gaming occasionally but more than likely it's going to mostly be running as a docker machine for wotlk,  project-topaz,  and a lamp stack.  SSH'ing into the machine and executing tensor-flow projects through the 1050ti.  That kind of thing.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Oh sorry you meant what OS,  probably Manjaro Linux for it.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It doesn't do anything to abbot though does it?  I haven't ran abbot for ages so I'm unsure.

I have no idea... will have to check at some point

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #42 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:04pm:
Take a look here.  It looks like you should be able to boot from one card, and then start up a vm using the second card, if the stars all align and the moon is in the right phase.  (IE if a certain number of non-negotiable hardware requirements are met.  I'm not yet sure if the mac pro you are referencing meets any of them)

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-q...

I also saw a bunch of posts on the mac pro forums, talking about graphics cards and graphic card upgrades for mac os.

It looks like the mac specific boot firmware for the graphics cards is a fairly common issue.  One of the regular recommendations was that you move the old card with the boot options into pci slot 2 or so, and connect it's video output to a spare monitor, or to a secondary input on the main monitor.   With the new card in slot 1 (or zero, depending on how they number things) to run the main monitor.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #43 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:13pm:
I also saw a bunch of posts on the mac pro forums, talking about graphics cards and graphic card upgrades for mac os.

It looks like the mac specific boot firmware for the graphics cards is a fairly common issue.  One of the regular recommendations was that you move the old card with the boot options into pci slot 2 or so, and connect it's video output to a spare monitor, or to a secondary input on the main monitor.   With the new card in slot 1 (or zero, depending on how they number things) to run the main monitor.

Just an addon..  Those recommendations were for "vanilla" os boot choices.  IE mac os with boot camp, that sort of thing.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:28am:
Just an addon..  Those recommendations were for "vanilla" os boot choices.  IE mac os with boot camp, that sort of thing.

Vanilla is boring.  Time to see what kind of trouble I can get into with it today.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Just got it setup.  Turns out it supports Vt-x but not Vt-d so I can't pass through pci cards,  so I just pulled the GT630 and am booting blind now with Manjaro Linux.  Probably could figure out some other way to blacklist the thing once it was booted but this works.  Got it compiling a few server apps now.  The thing is fantastic.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #46 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:59pm:
Did you have to look at anything special when settling or did you just go to Walmart and grab the cheapest 50" 4k?

I remember when I was shopping I looked in to using a TV and was told normal TVs wouldnt work well as monitors and to look for a few specific things(I forget what they were). Eventually it turned out a TV in the size I was looking for would cost not a whole lot less than an actual computer monitor, so I went for the monitor.

I ordered the cheapest one on Amazon. Tongue Which, because it was prime day was actually a pretty nice Toshiba. And it works great. IIRC, back in the day you'd have to look for a TV with a "gaming mode" setting or something like that or else there would be a input delay, but AFAIK that isn't a concern anymore.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
People are talking about what they use and where they got em.. I saw an online add for Richards Electronics in NY.. Phillips 4k 49" for $399, wi-fi and UHD DD Profile and Audio capable... bought 2... delivery guy DROPPED one on my porch and left before I could stop him (I was home).. Richards paid for the return and replacement.. when I checked the dropped one it had a HUGE florescent green splotch in the middle of the screen from where it impacted on the corner of the porch. These TVs are awesome

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #48 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:20pm:
I ordered the cheapest one on Amazon. Tongue Which, because it was prime day was actually a pretty nice Toshiba. And it works great. IIRC, back in the day you'd have to look for a TV with a "gaming mode" setting or something like that or else there would be a input delay, but AFAIK that isn't a concern anymore.

Cool.

I won't have to replace my 43" any time soon, but its nice to know if I had a little space I could upgrade. Actually that would make the 3x screen of my dreams setup much easier(50" 4k TVs can be had for $225!)

Of course I would need room for a separate "gaming desk" apart from my "everything else" desk, but dare to dream.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #49 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Dang yo, I’m playing on a piece of shite made from 3 Frankenstein computers..  rocking the sweet 19” widescreen from 2011.  OG shit.  Don’t duck wit it. Though, I did just score a sweet nvidea 560gtx on CL for $25! 

What techies know how I get win7 64 to notice all my ram with fucking up my bios?  The base pc is an older dell i7 intel board.  I got 16g, but only uses 8 of 16 in msconfig.  So it sees all of it but only uses half.  Sorry for the hi Jack.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint