Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Re-Shader Help (Read 9344 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Re-Shader Help
Reply #75 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you have 7 or 8 Legal clean install,  you can still upgrade for free.  You just have to make a windows boot usb and boot off of that and select upgrade rather than doing a clean install.  After the upgrade it then registers a copy of windows 10 to your system.  You can clean install and sign in with your MS ID and the system will activate and you have a legal copy of 10 still.

Interesting. yeah I remember them doing that but had heard/thought/dreampt that it was a limited time deal and they weren't doing it anymore.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #76 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
That’s what I will do then.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:36pm:
Interesting. yeah I remember them doing that but had heard/thought/dreampt that it was a limited time deal and they weren't doing it anymore.

They said it was done.  Took down their instructions on how to do it, but never turned it off.  They Turbined it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #78 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
They said it was done.  Took down their instructions on how to do it, but never turned it off.  They Turbined it.

Well Turbine was originally a Microsoft company, its in their DNA.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #79 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:01am:
If you're now stuck with a full 10 install and want to trim Store Apps, etc. then you could try https://getblackbird.net/

Dude I tried that blackbird thing and I think it broke file sharing. I'm in idiot. Probably time to load a backup Sad

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #80 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 1:20pm:
Dude I tried that blackbird thing and I think it broke file sharing. I'm in idiot. Probably time to load a backup Sad

Lol.  Yup.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #81 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah i really should not try anything The Vault recomends on my main workstation Tongue lol ahhh, system restore saved the day.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #82 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Yeah I usually install -> backup -> sysrestore -> blackbird backup -> blackbird tweak. It's broken some things for me in the past but nothing I cared about. There are alternative solutions. Smiley Some are less gung-ho like the O&O stuff.

It's better to get rid of all that stuff in the image before install but life is short.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 5:43am:
Yeah I usually install -> backup -> sysrestore -> blackbird backup -> blackbird tweak. It's broken some things for me in the past but nothing I cared about. There are alternative solutions. Smiley Some are less gung-ho like the O&O stuff.

It's better to get rid of all that stuff in the image before install but life is short.

Shit like this is why I only run windows in a vm.  I cant believe people put up with that bs.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #84 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 5:43am:

Yeah thats what the Ameliorated Edition is about - all that shit removed from image.

Quote:
Shit like this is why I only run windows in a vm.  I cant believe people put up with that bs.

Unfortunately linux has proven too steep of a learning curve for most. I'll tell ya what drives me nuts: its like no one in the linux community knows shit about instructional design, so even if you want to try and do it, you basically have to start with Allen Turing's 1936 paper on computing theory and work your way forward.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 2:41pm:
Yeah thats what the Ameliorated Edition is about - all that shit removed from image.

Unfortunately linux has proven too steep of a learning curve for most. I'll tell ya what drives me nuts: its like no one in the linux community knows shit about instructional design, so even if you want to try and do it, you basically have to start with Allen Turing's 1936 paper on computing theory and work your way forward.

How recently have you tried it?  It's a lot more user friendly than it used to be with Ubuntu and Mint,  though I wouldn't recommend something like Arch or even Manjaro to a new user.  20 years ago I remember it being a massive fight for each and every driver,  now you mostly just have to run the installer.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #86 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Last time I tried Linux was with Slackware and Red Hat when the kernel version as v2.2

The problem (for me anyway) was the lack of a good GUI. X was terrible and GNOME wasn't a whole lot better.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #87 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Last time I tried it was only a couple months ago, but I've also been using ubuntu. If there's a more newb-friendly distro I'm happy to give it a whirl. In general I'm trying to learn linux just to expand my horizons, have something else to tinker with, etc. I've been trying to build an arcade/console emulation rig using retropie - though admittedly this is less because i want to play arcade games and more because the project seemed fun.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #88 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 4:07pm:
Last time I tried Linux was with Slackware and Red Hat when the kernel version as v2.2

The problem (for me anyway) was the lack of a good GUI. X was terrible and GNOME wasn't a whole lot better.

Well I prefer i3 so I won't be much help selecting a DE that fits your needs.  Wife and kid use gnome without trouble though right now,  but that's with me ssh'ing in and doing updates and maintenance.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 4:59pm:
Last time I tried it was only a couple months ago, but I've also been using ubuntu. If there's a more newb-friendly distro I'm happy to give it a whirl. In general I'm trying to learn linux just to expand my horizons, have something else to tinker with, etc. I've been trying to build an arcade/console emulation rig using retropie - though admittedly this is less because i want to play arcade games and more because the project seemed fun.

I love Retropie or well EmulationStation.  At one point I actually ported EmulationStation to macOS just because I wanted that front end so much.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #90 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Most of my messing around with linux has been through the various versions of raspberry pi's.

It wasn't until version 4 came along that I could use one as a reasonably decent desktop replacement.  Previous ones were good for single purpose things, but the amount of ram available really limited what was possible.

I'm pretty pressed for time these days, so a lot of the projects I wanted to start with them have been abandoned.  I still have all the pieces to build an arcade station with a pi 3B+, etc. 

Similar to this one, but with two player controls built in instead of the single set.
https://www.instructables.com/All-in-One-Arcade-System/

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #91 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I love Retropie or well EmulationStation.  At one point I actually ported EmulationStation to macOS just because I wanted that front end so much.

Yeah its an awesome front-end and one of the few forays into linux where they actually had good instructions. I built a rassberry pi machine easy and didn't have much trouble getting it to work on the desktop either(wanted to be able to play PS2 games Tongue

Eventually the plan is to build a full-scale arcade cabinet that will double as a home theater PC. Of course right now I have no room for such a thing.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #92 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:30pm:
Yeah its an awesome front-end and one of the few forays into linux where they actually had good instructions. I built a rassberry pi machine easy and didn't have much trouble getting it to work on the desktop either(wanted to be able to play PS2 games Tongue

Eventually the plan is to build a full-scale arcade cabinet that will double as a home theater PC. Of course right now I have no room for such a thing.

That's why mine is just in a pi case behind the tv with bluetooth connections to some 8Bitdo controllers.  It doesn't get as much use as it used to, but my kid thought it was the best thing ever a couple summers ago.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #93 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's why mine is just in a pi case behind the tv with bluetooth connections to some 8Bitdo controllers.  It doesn't get as much use as it used to, but my kid thought it was the best thing ever a couple summers ago.

See my problem is I have much more fun building things than actually using them. So I don't want an arcade cabinet so much as to have built an arcade cabinet Tongue

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #94 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 10:21pm:
See my problem is I have much more fun building things than actually using them. So I don't want an arcade cabinet so much as to have built an arcade cabinet Tongue

My physical builds tend to have a point.  My software builds don't.  My hardware build that I'm looking at right now is creating a converter to take a usb keyboard and connect it to the 4p4c serial keyboard connector on the old Macintosh 128k I just found.  Machine works but no keyboard or mouse,  and I'm not paying 200.00 on eBay for a working keyboard and mouse from that period so I'm starting to trying to figure out what I'll need to do.  Keyboard seems like a pain but doable.  The mouse,  I'm not sure.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #95 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
My physical builds tend to have a point.  My software builds don't.  My hardware build that I'm looking at right now is creating a converter to take a usb keyboard and connect it to the 4p4c serial keyboard connector on the old Macintosh 128k I just found.  Machine works but no keyboard or mouse,  and I'm not paying 200.00 on eBay for a working keyboard and mouse from that period so I'm starting to trying to figure out what I'll need to do.  Keyboard seems like a pain but doable.  The mouse,  I'm not sure.

Most of the builds that I've ran across are using a small microcontroller of some kind to be the "interpreter" between the usb keyboard/mouse, and the older computer.

Here's one build post.
https://tvc-16.science/adbuino-ps2.html

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:16am:
Most of the builds that I've ran across are using a small microcontroller of some kind to be the "interpreter" between the usb keyboard/mouse, and the older computer.

Here's one build post.
https://tvc-16.science/adbuino-ps2.html

Yeah I'm looking at an arduino setup to do it all.  Maybe I'll post a video when I'm done.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #97 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Side note,  the one I'm working with is pre ADB.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 2:01am
Print Post  
This is the commercial for the one I'm working on.  https://youtu.be/2zfqw8nhUwA

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #99 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:15am
Print Post  
The arduino is so easy to work with.  When it first came out we were making full size arcade games with those as the brains.  It was a giant wooden structure with the tiniest bit of electronics most of which was due to the number of controller input plugs.  We had to custom make plugs for certain controls back then, but I’m pretty sure you can get them all pre-terminated now.  It was a great modular electronics package.  Good luck with your project.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint